Care Homes for Seniors with Dementia

Business and professional recommendations.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Care Homes for Seniors with Dementia

Post by Lady tehMa »

Okay,
I have a friend who has a grandparent with dementia. As it does, it has been getting worse. Friend's mom lives with the grandparent (her mom) and is completely burnt out. As grandma has started wandering at night - they found her at 4 am in the yard - they are at something of a loss. Everyone is stressed and stuck for how to navigate the treacherous waters of Red Tape.

It is my thought to ask the HiveMind to tell me what we should know about this.

I have started with government websites, but some insight would be greatly appreciated. It is my hope to present Mom with a package that will make things a bit easier for her.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Jlabute
Guru

Re: Care Homes for Seniors with Dementia

Post by Jlabute »

I highly recommend Baptist Housing care homes over others if that is the type of thing you are considering. They provide a nicer environment. Income levels usually determine how much it costs. They have a few facilities across Kelowna. They deal with dementia and all levels of care. Wandering or just being alone with dementia can potentially be dangerous. It would exhaust anyone.

Sun Pointe in Rutland, or Village at Mill Creek in Kelowna are excellent.
Galileo - In the sciences, the authority of thousands of opinions is not worth as much as one tiny spark of reason from an individual man.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Jlabute wrote: Jul 1st, 2023, 9:01 pm
I agree but the bigger problem is finding a place to move into. There are long waiting lists and people need to get on them before it becomes a desperate need.
One day you will find someone who is obsessed with you.
It will most likely be a Dog, but it is what it is.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Bsuds wrote: Jul 2nd, 2023, 8:23 am
Jlabute wrote: Jul 1st, 2023, 9:01 pm
I agree but the bigger problem is finding a place to move into. There are long waiting lists and people need to get on them before it becomes a desperate need.
Right. The sooner you get on a list, the better. Either that or find a live-in help, or something. The waiting period is not predictable, but could be a year or more.
Galileo - In the sciences, the authority of thousands of opinions is not worth as much as one tiny spark of reason from an individual man.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I appreciate the info!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

A good friend who's Wife is unfortunately in the later stages of Alzheimer's found it necessary to take the first place available and then wait for an opening in the facility he wanted her in.

Don't turn down the first one because you don't like it. It can always be changed later.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

https://alzheimer.ca/bc/en
There is a Kelowna office
https://alzheimer.ca/bc/en/node/403?gcl ... qfEALw_wcB

I would say contacting the office a good starting point... they ought to have lots of info
I rebuke you in the name of Versace
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

In the interim they should qualify for some home assistance. They should look into that as well.
DarbyD
Übergod

Post by DarbyD »

There are also respite rooms in many of the long term care homes. They give a place for patients to be while their caretaker takes a break. You might have to go through a community health nurse ... in Rutland go to the May Bennet building on Davie Rd and see what they can suggest. They used to have day activities there for people with dementia and early Alzheimer's , I don't know if they still do.

Yes, definitely get on a Long Term Care List as soon as possible. They may offer room in a place that isn't preferred but if you take it you will still have an opportunity to move to a preferred location.

My Mom was at SunPointe, years ago now, but the staff was very caring.
I'm not your enemy. We have a difference of opinion, and I can live with that. Can you?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I assembled a list of the care homes in the valley, from Vernon to West Kelowna. I figured a good sized pool to choose from was a good idea.

I noted the ones that were run by IH, and the ones that were private, and listed their websites.

I found a website called the Seniors Advocate,

https://www.seniorsadvocatebc.ca/quickfacts/location/ - can search for care home by location

https://www.seniorsadvocatebc.ca/quickf ... ion/25830/ - when you choose a location, you can click on a window that gives you a popup of facts about the location and then you can click on "survey results"

https://surveybcseniors.org/carehomeres ... ding-iha/ which gives you ratings of the home so you have an idea of what other people's experiences are.

I assembled the survey results for my friend and she has them now. I'm hoping that they help her some.

I also downloaded what I could from IH in the way of their documents. They also have a care home estimator tool, to give you an idea of what things will cost.

Return to “Referrals”