Simpson convenant upheld by courts

Temporary forum for civic elections
Born_again
Guru

Re: Simpson convenant upheld by courts

Post by Born_again »

I wonder if the Simpson Covenant was more than just a 'good' thing for the City, erm...., I should say the PEOPLE of the city?
I can't help but think that the astonishing turn of events in the Stober case has been a direct beneficiary of the Simpson debacle.

Ron Seymour -- The Daily Courier wrote:......The City does have an obligation to support a contentious development proposal, says Mayor Sharon Shepherd.

On Monday she changed a previous vote and decided to back a bid by Al Stober to get a 22 acre orchard......out of the ALR.

Further review of city documents, some of which weren't available when council considered the matter last month, convinced Shepherd there was a pledge by the city to endorse the exclusion application.
"We have to honour our past commitments," Coun. Graeme James said.

...... Essentially, Rule, Reid and Hodge said either they didn't believe there was a commitment by the City, or if there was, they didn't feel the current council had to honour it.

.....Given said it was "perfectly clear" to him from the staff report that the City had a good faith obligation to support Stober's application.

I have transcribed most of the article from the newspaper, as there seems to be a server error on the The Daily Courier's website:
http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/archive_search.php?keyword=stober&mon=Apr&day=20&year=2009&mon2=Apr&day2=21&year2=2009&category_id=ALL

They are, or were, treading on very thin ice once again.
Every city in the Western World relies to some extent on the public's generous and trusting nature to some degree, especially when dealing with donated estates. Why is it that these people are so swift to accept, but loath to honour binding obligations?
I see some very dark shadows lurking in City Hall, and I hope that there will ultimately be light shone on them; in a very public way!
. :purefury:
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Born_again wrote:I see some very dark shadows lurking in City Hall, and I hope that there will ultimately be light shone on them; in a very public way!

But Count Mattiussi hates daylight , not to mention garlic, wooden stakes and public input or scrutiny. :vampire:
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

Al Czervic wrote:I think this is more of a case of Kelowna Mayor & Council trying to bully their way through the process and not expecting joe public (in this case the Simpson family) from standing up and meeting them head on in the courts. I am glad to hear that the Simpson family will get court costs back, I would be even happier if they got costs and an apology from Mayor and Council; after all they most definitely deserve it.

Was it not Mayor Shepherd who promised that she would bring an end to this “ol’ boys club” style of doing things on council if she got elected? How quickly they forget.

No it was not. Funny what goes around. The problem is Al, she's still fighting them and 450 Bernard Ave's your proof. People stop letting this group buy our mayor's chair. It can't happen.

I don't know about all you, but if this is not leadership ... I am one silly and confused professional.

Have a read . . .

http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/41 ... ant-appeal

TTHR

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”