Election time ... who's next?

Temporary forum for civic elections
twobits
Guru

Re: Election time ... who's next?

Post by twobits »

Dawnland wrote:With that being said Twobits, as an equal shareholder in the Coyote Cruises property within the City Boundaries, do I get to vote?

No you do not get a vote because the property is leased land from the city.....not owned. That does bring up another interesting point on voter eligibility though. Had your company, the one you are an equal shareholder in, owned the land that CC cruises operates from, you would still not have a vote. The rules excludes all incorporated property owners from having even one vote per property that is owned by a corporate entity. So what this draconian rule means is that even large employers in the city that have invested millions in plant and property and pay tens of thousands of dollars in municipal taxes each year, and thus have a proportionately larger interest in City Hall policy decisions, cannot even designate one vote in an election. Yet one person can move into Penticton within 30 days of an election renting a basement suite for 500 bucks....and they can vote. To add insult to injury, they could have moved into a basement suite in a house that has 19 other people living in it over the age of 18 and you now have 20 people that can cast a vote legally on one property title. Does anyone know of any houses in town with a certain ethnic group that meets that bar?

I am really curious as to who the sitting member of council was that affirmed your right to vote in Penticton at your coffee meet. That does concern me. I am not going to get bent out of shape over it but I would like to think they would be more informed as to who eligible voters would be. It is forgivable given the complex and confusing legislation.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Dawnland
Board Meister

Re: Election time ... who's next?

Post by Dawnland »

I am really curious as to who the sitting member of council was that affirmed your right to vote in Penticton at your coffee meet.

At the coffee meeting, your mayoral candidate Andrew J. was the elected representative who indicated that I was able to vote. How long has this guy been on council? He should know who his constituents are.
As a resident of the Penticton Indian Band, it has been confirmed that I cannot vote in the city election unless I personally own property within the city limits.
Since I cannot participate, I would like to throw it out there that those interested in the election, ask your candidates how they plan to support relationships with community partners. EG; PIB, RDOS, Naramata and Kaleden etc.
IMO, some of the issues affecting Penticton is the 'exclusivity' approach the city has taken in civil and social situations. There is a symbiotic relationship we share and acknowledging that as a strength can go a long way in growth and development, maybe even a vote or two.

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”