Long term councillor steps down

Temporary forum for civic elections
ferri
Forum Administrator

Re: Long term councillor steps down

Post by ferri »

i'm looking in my crystal ball and seeing this topic going into the landfill if it doesn't veer back on topic.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

Rwede wrote:
He was often a dissenting voice on council, as the drunken sailors blew the taxpayers' money while AB voted to be fiscally prudent. All taxpayers will miss that, whether they are green and jealous of him or not.

Yeah, I know he voted against spending that didn't appeal to him. Like funding for the library system because he didn't believe libraries in the 21st century should be providing internet access to people who couldn't afford it. But that was peanuts.

Pretty sure he didn't vote against those big ticket sports items.

I'll always be in awe of the way right-wingers claim to be fiscally conservative because of their words and in spite of their actions. And how they so often get away with it.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Rwede wrote:
He was often a dissenting voice on council, as the drunken sailors blew the taxpayers' money while AB voted to be fiscally prudent. All taxpayers will miss that, whether they are green and jealous of him or not.

Partmanpartfish wrote:I'll always be in awe of the way right-wingers claim to be fiscally conservative because of their words and in spite of their actions. And how they so often get away with it.

Stated as though left wingers are somehow different. ROFLMAO
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

Partmanpartfish wrote:I'll always be in awe of the way right-wingers claim to be fiscally conservative because of their words and in spite of their actions. And how they so often get away with it.

LoneWolf_53 wrote:Stated as though left wingers are somehow different. ROFLMAO

Well, that's not what I said. However, if you do look at the federal situation, Mr. Harper has managed to turn ten straight Liberal surpluses into eight or nine deficits with no end in sight.

Oops.

And of course, conservatives like Mr. Andre B. have been running Kelowna forever. How many years have we not seen tax increases?

Double Oops.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Conservatives have been running Kelowna council? Really? Sharon Shepherd and her ilk were conservatives?

That would be news to us conservatives. Guess we must have held the reins and didn't even know it.

Although, you do have a point: leftist idiots are just too stupid to be elected to public office, so your theory may have some merit.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

I see Zimmerman has now bowed out to run again. I didn't mind him but given his health and what he has overcome good decision, just enjoy life!
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Life is too short, except of course to get a pension. Life wasn't too short a year ago? Farce
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

normaM wrote:Life is too short, except of course to get a pension. Life wasn't too short a year ago? Farce

You seem to have an issue with all politicians and it's beginning to come off more as jealousy than legitimate concern.

Given his well publicized health battle I can certainly sympathize with his position.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

normaM wrote:Life is too short, except of course to get a pension. Life wasn't too short a year ago? Farce

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it take 6 years of service to get that pension? Besides, I'm sure he has a fire fighters pension.

Zimmermann, who spent 15 years as Kelowna's fire chief (1990 to 2005) before being elected to council in 2011, says he will not be running again in November.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
EdCase
Board Meister

Post by EdCase »

fall wrote:I see Zimmerman has now bowed out to run again. I didn't mind him but given his health and what he has overcome good decision, just enjoy life!

I think Gerry is making the right decision. He's someone used to getting things done and he's found it frustrating to be part of a group of posers who've been long on talk and very short of accomplishments.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane
Marcus Aurelius
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

EdCase wrote: He's someone used to getting things done and he's found it frustrating to be part of a group of posers who've been long on talk and very short of accomplishments.

Wasn't that the description made of Sharon's edition of Council and the reason 4Change came into existence and got elected?
The latest group has made a few "accomplishments". Unfortunately voters won't get to show several of those directly responsible for those "accomplishments" if they felt they were positive or negative "accomplishments" for the community.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

oh Wolfie
Because I voice my opinion I have " an issue/"
no, only issue is with people who don't accept differing opinions
But you carry on
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

^^ When it's always the same opinion even though the players change, yeah it would be deemed an issue, but carry on.

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Sep 17th, 2014, 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic comment removed.
EdCase
Board Meister

Post by EdCase »

cv23 wrote:Wasn't that the description made of Sharon's edition of Council and the reason 4Change came into existence and got elected?
The latest group has made a few "accomplishments". Unfortunately voters won't get to show several of those directly responsible for those "accomplishments" if they felt they were positive or negative "accomplishments" for the community.

Too true; but then 4Change had a very specific agenda to elect a Mayor & Council that would be very compliant with their wishes and take direction from their friends in City Hall.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane
Marcus Aurelius
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Councilors get a pension? Really?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”