Penticton Election

Temporary forum for civic elections
XT225
Lord of the Board

Re: Penticton Election

Post by XT225 »

The following link provided me with some really great info on how each member feels about the Downtown Revitalization plan. This huge expenditure of millions of taxpayers dollars is important and should NOT be rammed through as the city is attempting to do; especially when the next council will be made up of many new people. Why should they take the heat for something that a previous council has just passed. Of course anything can be changed. Just look at Government Street - land was expropriated and the council of the day envisioned it not as bike lanes but a four lane roadway to alleviate congestion that occurs daily. Funny how the next council changed all that or at least put things on the back burner. Read through the opinions of the candidates. It appears that the MAJORITY of them are NOT in favour the present plan. I won't be basing my X on just this issue but its high on the priority for a lot of folks including myself.
http://www.pentictonherald.ca/news/arti ... b2370.html

ETA: I give high marks to John Vassalaki for his comments that he brought to senior staffs attention that the revite should go to Referendum during this election. Staff said that it would be voted down and nothing would happen. What does that say about Democracy and just maybe that the majority of the public are NOT in favor? Again, who runs the city..Senior Staff or council? Vass also gets more credit for his stance on the One-Employee rule; he is against it; good for him.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Thanks XT - great info. I was rather amused with Judy Sentes remarks, she is obviously in favor of revite but goes on to state the infrastructure is dated and needs to be updated. Hummmm - just saying but not only is the infrastructure kind of dated so are most of the buildings which are pretty well all in need of major face lifts. Gee .. are there any buildings downtown owned by candidates running in this election?
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

southy wrote:Thanks XT - great info. I was rather amused with Judy Sentes remarks, she is obviously in favor of revite but goes on to state the infrastructure is dated and needs to be updated. Hummmm - just saying but not only is the infrastructure kind of dated so are most of the buildings which are pretty well all in need of major face lifts. Gee .. are there any buildings downtown owned by candidates running in this election?

Just one that I can think of. That would be the one that has spent hundreds of thousands in upgrades to the properties owned on Main St.
Jak doesn't own, he rents. Perhaps he can get his landlord to put a few bucks into that decrepit building.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

southy wrote:Thanks XT - great info. I was rather amused with Judy Sentes remarks, she is obviously in favor of revite but goes on to state the infrastructure is dated and needs to be updated. Hummmm - just saying but not only is the infrastructure kind of dated so are most of the buildings which are pretty well all in need of major face lifts. Gee .. are there any buildings downtown owned by candidates running in this election?

I tossed Judy outta the lifeboat some time ago due to her stance on the downtown revite. She is perfect if you want four more years of the same. Quite a few of the candidates are waking up to the realization that the REST of Penticton also needs work; major work on outdated infrastructure; not just the downtown. I was glad to see Katie R. question the three lanes down to two lane debate. I will be throwing her a life preserver; she looks like a survivor.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Let's review a cpl of comments from our two main Mayoral candidates from the last few days,

Jak says sport tourism needs to be promoted. Can't disagree with that cuz anything that brings in people brings in revenue. It's all good. He also lists accomplishments to be proud of as the Young Stars, and Grandfono. All good and I personally welcome more weekend events and festivals. Sounds good. He also supports millions on two blocks of main street because it is the heart of the city and provides a positive image for tourists. Sounds good too.
Counter that with Vas' recent comments of fiscal responsibility, the need to look after our aging infrastructure first, and investing in our badly neglected Industrial Area.
Both are talking things that people can relate too but if you really drill down, the visions are very different. Jak is all in for tourism. The reality is that is hugely seasonal. Weekend events like hockey tournaments, even if every weekend of the year (impossible) do not provide jobs that come with a standard of living. Are we looking for more concession jobs at the SOEC, chambermaids, and waitresses?
Compare that to construction jobs for sewer and water. Properly servicing an industrial area where real employment with wages come from. Do many of you even realize that the bulk of our industrial area does not even have a sanitary sewer system? Never mind properly sized water mains or curbs and storm sewer. Any kind of industry that requires water beyond the capability of a septic tank, or organic waste disposal beyond the capabilities of a septic tank, would find it near impossible to locate here.
What are our long term objectives? Bikes or industry?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

twobits wrote:Just one that I can think of. That would be the one that has spent hundreds of thousands in upgrades to the properties owned on Main St.

Really wasn't insinuating anyone specific Twobits, but since you bring up Vass - you say he has spent hundreds of thousaneds in upgrades to the properties (PLURAL) owned on Main St. I am aware of his new wine venture in the 400 block, nicely done.
But what other properties on Main has Vass spent money on? I would also think that with the number of candidates running there must be at least a couple more who actually own property on Main.

Not a biggy Twobits - wasn't putting Vass down - just asking a general question.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Twobits with regard to the industrial area upgrades. I agree - and I do remember you mentioning in a post a long time ago the issues faced by those companies who operate in this area. Question that you might be able to answer and that is why has no mayor or council members made this a priority over the years? What is it that allows this area to sort of slip off the radar so to speak? I mean - the benefits are enormous compared to spending how many millions for downtown revite. Really curious and I'm glad it has come up again.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

And when the aging infrastructure fails, because it will, what then? An ounce of prevention.......
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

I'm not sure if this has been posted but a neighbor let me know it was there. I speak of recordings of the 3 forums that can be downloaded and listened to at your leisure. I could not attend any of the forums and this hopefully will help me and maybe others as well.

http://peachcityradio.org/programs/spok ... ctions.php
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
NormCheers

Post by NormCheers »

I would just like to say, WOW! I've been on a business trip and not paying attention for 2 weeks and thought I should check in. I appoligize for my last 2 posts as they were a little, shall I say, skewed by tastings!?! I will be back on Monday with a "sober" thought on the subject at hand. I'll let you know till then that I have been impressed,dismayed and truly shocked by not only the YouTube vids of the candidates forum , but the Herald coverage as well. Pre-planted questions?, a heads up on the topic, and the more than obvious "Zingers" ! I am not by any means trying to say that my thoughts will be revelations, but I PROMISE to be unbiased. The beginning of any election is the time for judgement, but the few days leading up means Truths should be made! Our poor , poor biased editor and the money that is all a part of it. I don't have a "deep throat" but really??? ENOUGH,!!
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

southy wrote:Twobits with regard to the industrial area upgrades. I agree - and I do remember you mentioning in a post a long time ago the issues faced by those companies who operate in this area. Question that you might be able to answer and that is why has no mayor or council members made this a priority over the years? What is it that allows this area to sort of slip off the radar so to speak? I mean - the benefits are enormous compared to spending how many millions for downtown revite. Really curious and I'm glad it has come up again.

There is no short answer here southy. Things have been tried but the "ransom" demanded for contribution has been a stumbling block. How can one replace 60 yr old infrastructure and ask benefiting property owners to pay only a portion of "aesthetic" improvements.....cost of sewer and water picked up entirely by the taxpayer, and say to industrial property owners that since these services have never existed, we want you to pay so much more? Both owners have been taxpayers have they not? It probably comes down to the fact that it is more visible to pour money into downtown than an industrial area few frequent. But what is the return on each investment? The owners of unserviced industrial property are not stupid. They would be willing to pay a fair portion of the cost because they realize the added value it brings to their properties. The city however, IMO, has never presented them with a cost structure that made sense. It's the nose spiting the face and in the end, spending the dollars that buy political points. I was surprised Vas brought it up. Kudo's to him for presenting a counter point to dumping endless dollars into a downtown where the majority of owners have spent not dime one on improving their own 80 to 100 yr old buildings beyond an awning.
For the record, I no longer own Industrial land in Penticton.

ETA- Perhaps the Herald should be asking all the candidates "Do you think two million dollars invested in Penticton"s Industrial area would be a better investment than wider sidewalks and a two lane street for two blocks of downtown?"

XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

twobits wrote:
ETA- Perhaps the Herald should be asking all the candidates "Do you think two million dollars invested in Penticton"s Industrial area would be a better investment than wider sidewalks and a two lane street for two blocks of downtown?"

Excellent question, twobits. That two million by the way is ONLY for the 200 block I believe. Then the rest of the 300-600 blocks will be demanding: "me to...me to". The Industrial area has been ignored for far too long; that's where the good paying jobs are and/or could be. What would it look like downtown with a fancy new narrower street and ugly old buildings? Only some of the landlords have put money into their buildings.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Wasn't there a pile of money poured into the industrial area fairly recently? Water and sewer, road resurfacing, curb & gutter, sidewalks, intersection controls, etc?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

fluffy wrote:Wasn't there a pile of money poured into the industrial area fairly recently? Water and sewer, road resurfacing, curb & gutter, sidewalks, intersection controls, etc?

Yes about 8 yrs ago. It was only work to address storm runoff. The major part of that was linking Industrial Ave to Dawson via Camrose to catch stormwater coming down hill. The city finally realized it was costing them as much to fix all the washed out shoulders 3 or 4 times a year than the cost of control. There was no sanitary sewer involved though. And property owners did pay a portion of the cost.

livewire
Fledgling

Post by livewire »

twobits wrote: Are we looking for more concession jobs at the SOEC, chambermaids, and waitresses?
Compare that to construction jobs for sewer and water. Properly servicing an industrial area where real employment with wages come from.

What are our long term objectives? Bikes or industry?

Perfectly said twobits.

And as someone so eloquently put earlier, wider sidewalks on 1 block of downtown is not going to bring any more tourists or jobs to this economy.

I'm not really a Vas fan...I like Andrew... but I prefer jobs and industry to those stupid sidewalks on Martin. Remember though, a Mayor does not work alone so it kind of doesn't matter who gets in - (doesn't the mayor only tie break when it's 3-3?) there's 6 more people's opinions at work as well.

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”