Penticton Election

Temporary forum for civic elections
User avatar
Drip_Torch
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4032
Joined: Aug 16th, 2012, 10:56 am

Re: Penticton Election

Post by Drip_Torch »

In my eyes, Ryan Foster came into this election as someone that I might of labeled as an “also ran” (Thanks to Miller), but I’m impressed with his commitment to community resilience and I believe there is a lot of work, here, to be done. Mr. Foster’s answers regarding the Cherry Lane situation earned a solid X from my pencil later today when I go mark my ballot. While philosophically, Mr. Foster’s views might be a little organic and somewhat esoteric he strikes me as a thoughtful and considerate young man with a focus on bringing his children up in a better world. I would like to see Ryan Foster sitting in a chair when the music stops tonight.

Mr. Maxwell, hmm… I can’t say anything about Doug Maxwell’s campaign turned me off, or caused me any concern, but I also can’t say that anything turned me on or really motivated me to give him a deeper look.

Tarik Sayeed, Funny, I sort of share twobit’s view of his overall campaign, but I also recognize his personal commitment towards achievement and I believe in his overall campaign premise – Penticton can be a role model. There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t find myself asking, why is this like this here? Mr. Sayeed also strikes me as a thoughtful innovator that will do his homework and won’t simply be a nodding bobble head that submits to empty positions of authority and fallacious logic traps. I wonder if Mr. Sayeed simply didn’t hit full stride during the campaign. Hmm… honestly, at this late hour Mr. Sayeed is a definite maybe in my eyes for the sixth X on my ballot. (it might come down to a coin toss as I’m walking thru the door.)

Robinson, Sentes and Konanz … I can honestly say that I appreciate their involvement in the community and they have each played a role at furthering my own personal interest in our municipal theatre.

I appreciate Councillor Robinson’s commitment to our OCP and Zoning bylaws and I also appreciate her involvement in resurrecting the protective services committee.

Councillor Sentes causes a noticeable void when she’s absent from meetings and I can honestly say there is something extraordinarily warm and comfortable about her community montage that she presents at the end of each council meeting.

Councillor Konanz, hmm… I’m not sure what to say about Councillor Konanz because in my eyes she fly’s under the radar. I understand she’s been quite available for other people and they seem to be impressed with her, I also recognize the “fiscal conservative” that twobit’s alluded to in an earlier post. I appreciate Councillor Konanz’s strong position of support in favour of festivals like Boonstock and I also recognize her commitment to keeping this town moving forward. I’m just not sure I share her vision of how to best keep this momentum going.

At the end of the day, if this plays out the way I hope it will – I’ll miss these three incumbents and I do sincerely hope they stay involved and engaged in our community; as there is no doubt, in my mind, that Penticton is better place through their efforts.

Maybe Shaw community programing could pick them up on a twice monthly coffee chat on community issues?
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
NormCheers
Posts: 19
Joined: Oct 10th, 2014, 4:10 pm

Re: Penticton Election

Post by NormCheers »

Drip_Torch
Thank you for your thoughts.
I share your opinion regarding Ryan and I think his heart is in the right place so probably an X from me as well. I too am on the fence with Maxwell, that is why I wanted some input.
Tarik, I believe has a very forward outlook and with his knowledge and education in the area of technology I believe he could add to councils stagnant thoughts on how to bring work here. I liked his comments out of the gate but didn't see that passion during the campaign. Perhaps I could use your coin. :)
Robinson is too conservative for me.
Konanz has open ears and gives thought to her decisions but I find she doesn't seem to retain what she hears and has flip flopped on a couple important issues.
Sentes has done outstanding work in our community but I would like see more hours put in on council as her questions a very good just her attendance is poor. With it being 4 years this time I'm afraid she will be taking more and more time for herself and leave a void on council when needed.
Campbell, I like him, he takes time to become knowledgable about the issues and takes time to educate himself. He also sticks to his opinions instead of waffling. Boonstock was a good example. He was in all the way, and when it was over he did a critical reveiw and still said he was for events like that but with more oversight from outside sources of the promoters. Definite X
Brent Madsen, he has been around for quite some time and I think has a good grasp,of this city's issues. I don't agree with all his positions but that goes for any candidate unless there is clone of me. I think since we are losing our elder statesman ( Vass) he could be a good replacement even though he may not have the fiscal knowledge. Might need a coin in the booth for that one.
All others I have decided against for one reason or another. Mostly because who they have aligned themselves with. I am not thrilled with anyone that has ties to the Penticton Hotel...oops Hospitality Association. I'm also not thrilled with anyone that has aligned themselves with self serving Prystay although...what can you do?
Just my thoughts...not yours. :)
User avatar
scorpion1024
Fledgling
Posts: 164
Joined: Feb 19th, 2009, 11:38 pm

Re: Penticton Election

Post by scorpion1024 »

FIRST - to Pentona - If you re-read what I wrote you will see that I said this not necessarily how I voted. I was just predicting what I could see.

To answer Norm's questions.

Doug Maxwell - nice guy... but he wasn't "out there" enough for me. He didn't stand out in a good or bad way. I would be afraid that also be the same if on council.

Tarik Sayeed - I was very pro Tarik at the beginning. I felt his youth initiatives were genuine. I liked how the photos on his FB page were of him sitting in elderly's homes having tea and cookies discussing issues that matter to him. I find though that 1) he thinks he has this in the bag. Some of his comments to me have been cocky and arrogant. 2) There was controversy over him being texted answers at an all candidates forum from a supporter in the audience. I didn't like that. It turned me off of him.

Ryan Foster - Now... Ryan is interesting. His platform is completely different than anyone elses. Although he may be a "new age hippy" - listen to him talk. NONE of it is rehearsed. You can give him the most obscure question and his answer will always blow you away. He thinks outside the box - always. he is a genius. His intelligence level is beyond his years. We would be LUCKY to have someone like this - that can NOT be swayed by anyone other than himself. He could change Penticton's future forever!

Norm - I agree 100% about what you said in regards to Campbell Watt. He sticks to his guns on his feelings. Boonstock or Downtown revitalization. he is not trying to "win votes" with his answers. His knowledge would be a great asset to our council.

I also think Lynn Kelsey has earned her stripes. She has been to almost every single council meeting over the last 5 years. She knows how the ins and outs whereas it will be a learning curve for most of those that will be elected. She has a "social responsibility" background so I think she would balance council nicely. SOWINS, SOVA, non-profit background etc.

My votes for a balanced council are Max, Ryan, Campbell and Lynn - nice balance. Tourism, Green sustainability, Small business, Social Responsibility.

My other 2 votes are undecided at this point - if I vote for 2 more that is.

Just my 2 cents :)
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things
pentona
Übergod
Posts: 1589
Joined: Feb 21st, 2011, 4:38 pm

Re: Penticton Election

Post by pentona »

scorpion1024 wrote:FIRST - to Pentona - If you re-read what I wrote you will see that I said this not necessarily how I voted. I was just predicting what I could see.

To answer Norm's questions.

Doug Maxwell - nice guy... but he wasn't "out there" enough for me. He didn't stand out in a good or bad way. I would be afraid that also be the same if on council.

Tarik Sayeed - I was very pro Tarik at the beginning. I felt his youth initiatives were genuine. I liked how the photos on his FB page were of him sitting in elderly's homes having tea and cookies discussing issues that matter to him. I find though that 1) he thinks he has this in the bag. Some of his comments to me have been cocky and arrogant. 2) There was controversy over him being texted answers at an all candidates forum from a supporter in the audience. I didn't like that. It turned me off of him.

Ryan Foster - Now... Ryan is interesting. His platform is completely different than anyone elses. Although he may be a "new age hippy" - listen to him talk. NONE of it is rehearsed. You can give him the most obscure question and his answer will always blow you away. He thinks outside the box - always. he is a genius. His intelligence level is beyond his years. We would be LUCKY to have someone like this - that can NOT be swayed by anyone other than himself. He could change Penticton's future forever!

Norm - I agree 100% about what you said in regards to Campbell Watt. He sticks to his guns on his feelings. Boonstock or Downtown revitalization. he is not trying to "win votes" with his answers. His knowledge would be a great asset to our council.

I also think Lynn Kelsey has earned her stripes. She has been to almost every single council meeting over the last 5 years. She knows how the ins and outs whereas it will be a learning curve for most of those that will be elected. She has a "social responsibility" background so I think she would balance council nicely. SOWINS, SOVA, non-profit background etc.

My votes for a balanced council are Max, Ryan, Campbell and Lynn - nice balance. Tourism, Green sustainability, Small business, Social Responsibility.

My other 2 votes are undecided at this point - if I vote for 2 more that is.

Just my 2 cents :)


No problem, Scorpion1024. I understand. I don't predict Andrew winning. Saw a lot of seniors down there today and I would be that they support John instead. Sentes will be history, hopefully. The rest is a crap shoot. Time will tell. It was pretty busy down there today, so the overall turnout should be high.
twobits
Guru
Posts: 7653
Joined: Nov 25th, 2010, 8:44 am

Re: Penticton Election

Post by twobits »

Drip_Torch wrote:
Hockey Dorm, PHA, Slump, Section 57 against Cherry Lane Towers, Tax bill oppsy's, Pool tiles that don't meet the code, Building code exemptions that don't have an authority having jurisdiction signing off on them, poor issues communications, Martin Street, Main Street and infrastructure needs that are being ignored in favour of legacy projects.


Okay, we are mere minutes away away for the polls closing so this hardly matters but let's look at each one of your above examples.....

Hockey Dorm- Vas was the only one to vote against. And in defense of all the other councillor members that voted in favour, they did so on the best recommendation of staff and hired legal. That is a topic for a whole new thread about the tail wagging the dog on serious matters.
Cherry Lane Towers- Was this a council F up or Development services and the inspection dept? Do you not think that would be an issue that the building inspection dept should have been on top of or shall we blame every and all councillors over the last decade for not catching this non compliance??? Who would ever run for council if people like you expect them to have the business knowledge of MBA's as well as all the nuances of the building code as to what an enclosed deck means. Perhaps they should all be Mensa members as well and prove they can walk on water too before they are suitable to be councillors of Penticton.
Tax bill oopsies- Seriously? You are going to stoop so low that a clerical staff F up is the fault of council. Should every councillor proof read every tax notice and water bill that goes out too?

Pool tiles- I suppose as a credential all councillors should be well versed in "tile slippage" as well. Or would it be more appropriate to ask the engineering dept how this was over looked?

I could go on but this is quite frankly useless. I have never been in support of all council decisions. A great many in fact. But I do not assign blanket blame on things that are completely out of peoples control. The big chair could have done some of that but fortunately that incompetent had the wisdom to not throw his hat in. His prodigy Jak is running in his stead. Do ya think Jak was not asked if a letter should be sent from Law firm to Slump? No one will ever know but given, and public knowledge, that Jak would not run for Mayor if Litke was going to.....I see two very cuddly bears sharing some off the record chats.

[/quote]
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
livewire
Fledgling
Posts: 312
Joined: Nov 3rd, 2011, 3:01 pm

Re: Penticton Election

Post by livewire »

After driving by 4 times today and seeing the line up down the sidewalk we decided to wait. Just finished and it still took an hour in line. Says great turnout to me. Also, the people in line we're not seniors but mostly young families. Lots of little ones running around their parents feet. Beautiful! Although looking forward to who is successful, I am very interested it voter turnout numbers.
User avatar
Drip_Torch
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4032
Joined: Aug 16th, 2012, 10:56 am

Re: Penticton Election

Post by Drip_Torch »

But I do not assign blanket blame on things that are completely out of peoples control.


First off and with regards to the big chair, I voted on record and very much against an assemblage of popular sound bites. I know full well who stood where and I feel good about my vote there.

I've had exposure to quite a number of the departments in this city and I can tell you that I have the upmost respect for the city employees. Still, as you well know, there has been, every now and then, an odd piece of crap thrown onto some high end sour dough, smothered in Dijon, layered with spouts, garnished with a pickle, and then fed to us as a "sour dough sandwich". Yes, I do hold the people that are responsible for this - responsible. We can both agree that there is an element that does go beyond their immediate area of expertise, but control is theirs - it's in the job description. It is also patently obvious, to even the casual observer, that one does often play into the hand of the other... desperate times call for desperate measures - I get that, but some of this is right over the top.

I'll say this, turn out looked good and I have a hard time believing that many people could get it wrong. We had full slate of candidates and they spoke to real issues. I feel good about things going forward... Now I've got to hit submit on this and watch for results.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
my10cents
Posts: 88
Joined: Jul 3rd, 2014, 12:36 pm

Re: Penticton Election

Post by my10cents »

XT225
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2910
Joined: Jun 2nd, 2009, 4:37 pm

Re: Penticton Election

Post by XT225 »

my10cents wrote:http://www.election2014.civicinfo.bc.ca/2014/reports/Results.asp?localgovernmentid=93


Results are in! Thoughts?


Surprising results. Long lineups; and the people have spoken. Not sure what kind of a mix this will be now on council. Obviously the head bashing druggie comment cost Katie dearly and the young people rallied to elect Picton. Too soon to comment on the future.
ToddT
Übergod
Posts: 1006
Joined: Dec 16th, 2010, 2:48 pm

Re: Penticton Election

Post by ToddT »

I'm VERY surprised. But encouraged too. I look forward to change in Penticton.
pentona
Übergod
Posts: 1589
Joined: Feb 21st, 2011, 4:38 pm

Re: Penticton Election

Post by pentona »

ToddT wrote:I'm VERY surprised. But encouraged too. I look forward to change in Penticton.


Definitely a big change in the works. Those young people do appear to have participated to make that change.
User avatar
Drip_Torch
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4032
Joined: Aug 16th, 2012, 10:56 am

Re: Penticton Election

Post by Drip_Torch »

Total Number of Votes Cast: 8424

Okay, that number surprised me. Really thought the turnout was going to be better than that. (ETA - In 2011 there were 8589 votes cast)

Interesting results. It appears Penticton voted for a very energetic and progressive mayoral platform and I can find that encouraging. I managed to be onside with 4 out of 6 picks so I'm feeling pretty good about this council. Too bad about Ryan Foster, I really think shaws rating would have blown thru the roof with him sitting on this council. May-be in four years... may-be the new powers that be find another way to keep him in the public conversation.

Anyway, going forward, we have 7 people that fiercely believe in Penticton - that much I'm sure of.
Last edited by Drip_Torch on Nov 16th, 2014, 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
User avatar
scorpion1024
Fledgling
Posts: 164
Joined: Feb 19th, 2009, 11:38 pm

Re: Penticton Election

Post by scorpion1024 »

scorpion1024 wrote:This is my prediction (in order of votes). Although it is not necessarily how I voted. I believe Max Picton will top the charts. Should be interesting to see it play out at 8:15pm tonight!

Mayor:
Andrew Jakabeit

Council:
Max Picton
Helena Konanz
Campbell Watt
Judy Sentes
Lynn Kelsey or Andre Martin
Ryan Foster

Trustees:
Bill Bidlake
Bruce Johnson
Barb Sheppard
Keith MacInytre


Mayor - correct
Council - 5 out of 6. Was REALLY hoping on Ryan Foster.
Trustees - 3 of 4.

What do I win?! What is my prize? ;) I better win something because after those results, I am feeling slightly discouraged! I voted for 2 of the council members, the winning mayor and only 1 of the winning trustees.

Voter turnout = I demand a re-count. B**L S**T in my opinion!
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things
User avatar
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3780
Joined: Feb 8th, 2013, 4:02 pm

Re: Penticton Election

Post by Anonymous123 »

scorpion1024 wrote:This is my prediction (in order of votes). Although it is not necessarily how I voted. I believe Max Picton will top the charts. Should be interesting to see it play out at 8:15pm tonight!

Mayor:
Andrew Jakabeit

Council:
Max Picton
Helena Konanz
Campbell Watt
Judy Sentes
Lynn Kelsey or Andre Martin
Ryan Foster

Trustees:
Bill Bidlake
Bruce Johnson
Barb Sheppard
Keith MacInytre

scorpion1024 wrote:Mayor - correct
Council - 5 out of 6. Was REALLY hoping on Ryan Foster.
Trustees - 3 of 4.

What do I win?! What is my prize? ;) I better win something because after those results, I am feeling slightly discouraged! I voted for 2 of the council members, the winning mayor and only 1 of the winning trustees.

Voter turnout = I demand a re-count. B**L S**T in my opinion!


You win a four year stay in Penticton, you lucky dog.
We See
We Judge
We Get Muzzled
glassmaster
Übergod
Posts: 1043
Joined: Jan 19th, 2010, 9:58 am

Re: Penticton Election

Post by glassmaster »

Results are pretty close to what I expected ... although I thought the numbers would be closer between the two candidates for Mayor. Too bad that the long lineups didn't equate to a larger voter turnout.
Last edited by glassmaster on Nov 17th, 2014, 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”