Penticton Election

Temporary forum for civic elections
User avatar
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4275
Joined: Feb 8th, 2013, 4:02 pm

Re: Penticton Election

Post by Anonymous123 »

pentona wrote:Max Picton is now also running. That will be an interesting combination if both he and Katie are elected. Not! (oil and water)


Who's pulling Max's strings?
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
southy
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3507
Joined: Jun 1st, 2010, 4:14 pm

Re: Penticton Election

Post by southy »

I see Brent Madsen is going to run for council. Other than knowing he owns the Elite Restaurant, I don't know much about him.
XT225
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3898
Joined: Jun 2nd, 2009, 4:37 pm

Re: Penticton Election

Post by XT225 »

southy wrote:I see Brent Madsen is going to run for council. Other than knowing he owns the Elite Restaurant, I don't know much about him.


He seems like possibly a good candidate. I will be quizzing him about his ideas on the Main Street Zillion dollar two-laning/beautification waste of money project. If he is for it, he won't be getting an X from me on the ballot. We have to get spending under control until the economy rebounds.
NormCheers
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: Oct 10th, 2014, 4:10 pm

Re: Penticton Election

Post by NormCheers »

Anonymous123 wrote:
Who's pulling Max's strings?


I'm not sure what a bartender that has no secondary education and has only his family's ownership of a campground as his "tourism education" will really bring to the table. I'm sure that trying to keep a new business afloat will be very taxing on his time as a councillor as well.
I'm looking forward to seeing how all the candidates fair during the candidate forums. Anyone know when they will be held?
southy
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3507
Joined: Jun 1st, 2010, 4:14 pm

Re: Penticton Election

Post by southy »

That's quite the judgement Norm ... Which candidate did you say you were working for?
XT225
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3898
Joined: Jun 2nd, 2009, 4:37 pm

Re: Penticton Election

Post by XT225 »

I won't be voting for Max Picton. Not because he may live in Penticton (not even sure on that) but because his business is not inside city limits. I don't know anything further about him, nor do I care to.

Saw in the paper today where Vassalaki did not leave the council meeting when they were voting on Tax exemption properties, of which he now owns one of them. He claimed that he just didn't realize the problem. Is this kind of person we want running our fair city? I think not. Never came across as the sharpest fellow to begin with. This may be the first time that I vote but do not put an X on the ballot for mayor. Better to leave it blank than vote for what we have to choose from this time around.
NormCheers
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: Oct 10th, 2014, 4:10 pm

Re: Penticton Election

Post by NormCheers »

southy wrote:That's quite the judgement Norm ... Which candidate did you say you were working for?


Sorry Southy, not a judgement, merely facts. I work for no candidate. This was found by simply googling his name. Was on a resume writing help forum.


"Hey guys I am just getting out of the labour industry and am starting into the bartending field. I have already landed a job at one of the local night clubs on the weekends and now I want to find a full-time job at one of the restaurant bars around here so I can quit my day job.


Max Picton
******* Avenue, Penticton, BC Phone: (250) *********

Employment Objective:
Looking to obtain a full time position in a setting that provides challenges and skills in an exciting new employment field.

Work History:

Nite Moves Night Club (April 2004 - Present)
Responsibilities: Bar set-up, serving drinks in a responsible and efficient manner, cashier work, nightly cash out.

West Coast Leisure Homes Ltd. (August 2002 - Present)
Responsibilities: Operation of pneumatic and power tools, producing a clean and quality product while maintaining a safe and orderly work area.

Structurlam Products Ltd. (August 2000 - March 2002)
Responsibilities: Operation of power equipment, sanders, drills, saws, etc., working production line.

Coyote Cruises Staff Member (Summers 1997 - 2003)
Responsibilities: Service and maintenance of Penticton River Channel, cashier work, and ensuring customer safety and satisfaction.

Skills:
Completed the Serving It Right program
Completed OUC’s bartending course
Completed OUC’s WHMIS course
Excellent people skills, as well as cashier and computer experience. Learn and adapt quickly to work environments. Efficient multitasker and think quickly on my feet.

References:"

I will post similar information on other candidates in the near future. I think it is important to know people's history as it may determine the future.
User avatar
scorpion1024
Fledgling
Posts: 164
Joined: Feb 19th, 2009, 11:38 pm

Re: Penticton Election

Post by scorpion1024 »

So SINCE that resume in 2004 (10 years ago), Max has done quite a bit for/in and with our city.

Previous General Manager of Best Damn Sports Bar
Previous Owner/manager of Element Nightclub
Top 40 under 40 entrepreneur award recipient
Past "Young Entrepreneur of the Year" award recipient
President of Tourism Penticton
President/Owner of Barefoot Beach Resort

I have to say that this current resume is impressive and forward thinking. He has my vote. You will see him in comfortably in his new seat as Councillor on November 15th 2014. The only thing I am unhappy with is the fact that he is not running for mayor!
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things
pentona
Übergod
Posts: 1786
Joined: Feb 21st, 2011, 4:38 pm

Re: Penticton Election

Post by pentona »

Does Mr. Picton own property inside city limits or live in Penticton? I would never vote for anyone who hadn't been a councillor first, before opting to try for mayor. I think many would agree. Baby steps, first.
NormCheers
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: Oct 10th, 2014, 4:10 pm

Re: Penticton Election

Post by NormCheers »

I don't want to start a war or anything but there is more to what you put down for his resume. And if you look closer that resume was to "present". Doesn't say 2004.

General Manager a Best Damn- how long?
Owner/manager of Element - Again How Long? And what was the result of the management direction he took. I believe they went bankrupt.
Top 40 under 40 award = popularity contest - Why did he receive it? Barefoot? After one year? Hmmmmm
President of tourism for what 6 months? What ground breaking tourism ideas has that group come up with in last six months?
President owner of Barefoot - I'll give him that one. He did forge a good relationship with the Krugers (school hood friend) and the PIB. But that resort is only in year two. Hardly time to call it a booming success.

And no I don't believe he does own land in Penticton and definitely does not live in the city limits. So he can't even vote for himself.
OK, let's lay all this to rest, on to the next candidates.
pentona
Übergod
Posts: 1786
Joined: Feb 21st, 2011, 4:38 pm

Re: Penticton Election

Post by pentona »

NormCheers wrote:I don't want to start a war or anything but there is more to what you put down for his resume. And if you look closer that resume was to "present". Doesn't say 2004.

General Manager a Best Damn- how long?
Owner/manager of Element - Again How Long? And what was the result of the management direction he took. I believe they went bankrupt.
Top 40 under 40 award = popularity contest - Why did he receive it? Barefoot? After one year? Hmmmmm
President of tourism for what 6 months? What ground breaking tourism ideas has that group come up with in last six months?
President owner of Barefoot - I'll give him that one. He did forge a good relationship with the Krugers (school hood friend) and the PIB. But that resort is only in year two. Hardly time to call it a booming success.

And no I don't believe he does own land in Penticton and definitely does not live in the city limits. So he can't even vote for himself.
OK, let's lay all this to rest, on to the next candidates.


Norm, you should check into things more carefully. According to the official City documents that Mr. Picton files, he does indeed live in Penticton. http://www.penticton.ca/assets/City~Hal ... Picton.pdf
NormCheers
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: Oct 10th, 2014, 4:10 pm

Re: Penticton Election

Post by NormCheers »

WOW Pentona, your right! I should have checked my facts! I was merely pointing out my limited facts and was not really interested in getting that deep and what he has put down on legal documents. My apologies. That is, however, Very interesting, because anyone that is close to Mr. Picton knows, he doesn't live with his parens at the Lee Ave adrdress, and hasn't done so for quite some time, he actually has lived with his (considered by law) common-law wife Des, in a yurt behind the office at Barefoot. He has done so for the past two years. On PIB land! Not sure why he would say otherwise!?! Other info on there is also seems to be a little incorrect (according to the facts). Hmmmm, first election scandal??? I really wanted to move on to the other candidates that also have a genuine chance at being elected. As a final note, I find it interesting that the link you provided is under Penticton city "assets". LOL
pentona
Übergod
Posts: 1786
Joined: Feb 21st, 2011, 4:38 pm

Re: Penticton Election

Post by pentona »

NormCheers wrote:WOW Pentona, your right! I should have checked my facts! I was merely pointing out my limited facts and was not really interested in getting that deep and what he has put down on legal documents. My apologies. That is, however, Very interesting, because anyone that is close to Mr. Picton knows, he doesn't live with his parens at the Lee Ave adrdress, and hasn't done so for quite some time, he actually has lived with his (considered by law) common-law wife Des, in a yurt behind the office at Barefoot. He has done so for the past two years. On PIB land! Not sure why he would say otherwise!?! Other info on there is also seems to be a little incorrect (according to the facts). Hmmmm, first election scandal??? I really wanted to move on to the other candidates that also have a genuine chance at being elected. As a final note, I find it interesting that the link you provided is under Penticton city "assets". LOL


Norm, there is no requirement to live inside city limits in order to run for council. His application clearly stated that he lives on Lee Avenue and was witnessed. I see no reason to doubt that. What reason would Mr. Picton have to declare his residency as being in Penticton if it is not? The document clearly states that "to the best of myknowledge the information provided in these nominations papers is true"; then it is signed.
NormCheers
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: Oct 10th, 2014, 4:10 pm

Re: Penticton Election

Post by NormCheers »

pentona, Your asking the wrong person, I have no idea why he would lie about his residency, unless he just moved back home I can absolutely guarantee you that he has lived on PIB land since his investor angel decided to back him two years ago at Barefoot in a yurt. He was there last winter and all this summer. I would suggest you ask HIM.
pentona
Übergod
Posts: 1786
Joined: Feb 21st, 2011, 4:38 pm

Re: Penticton Election

Post by pentona »

Doesn't really matter to me. Very likely that he has moved home for the winter; who knows. I don't think that anyone lives in a yurt year round. All documentation that he filed is most likely completely accurate.

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”