When does the West Kelowna Election Campaign commence?

Temporary forum for civic elections
inquisitive
Fledgling

When does the West Kelowna Election Campaign commence?

Post by inquisitive »

Ho! Hum!
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: When does the West Kelowna Election Campaign commence?

Post by nextimeround »

inquisitive wrote:Ho! Hum!

Exactly. Unfortunate but true. The part that bugs me is that West Kelowna more than most communities needs visionary leaders. It seems the incumbents are content to keep their heads down and snooze through to victory. I have seen/heard of any real challengers. I mean we have a guy on council who can barely stay awake through council meetings. Last election during one of the all candidates forums he actually put the microphone to his ear because he was confused and thought it was a phone??? He's a nice man and all but there are actual real issues that need real solutions from people who are vibrant and capable and who understand the modern world and its economic realities.
mystica
Board Meister

Post by mystica »

Sad to see Knowles signs up again this go around!! He has definitely done his service to the community in the past in such organizations a Rotary and Girls and Boys clubs. But is well past ready for retirement.

He is now 75 years old and "Old" is a big part of it. He has not shown much 'get up and go' over the last four years of time in council. He does not do his homework on matters in hand. He seems to mentally absent himself and then waste time on nit picking on some unimportant point that is not particularly relevant.

Davids health is shaky and his most recent cardiac incident should have told him that it is time to retire and spend time with his wife of 50 years and their grandchildren.

The time has come for us to thanks this man for the good he has done for the community, recognize him and encourage him to retire and take care of his health. Perhaps we could give him the "Keys of the city" when we get that hashtag!

West Kelowna needs young blood to take the reins and move the city froward. People with energy on their side. Keeping the dead wood on hand is not going to help our growing up.
nikonfan
Fledgling

Post by nikonfan »

We used to have reporters and a press that dug to the bone and smelled out issues behind closed doors. Today's press, if you want to call it that, relay on media releases, spokes people and and don't dig into issues. The average voter is way to busy and apathetic to take the time to see what exactly council is doing. I really wish people would just read some of the council minutes, RDCO minutes and see how your elected officials act, vote and even there intelligence level. The current mayor of west Kelowna has a reputation of arrogance, know it all, abrasive and sometimes comes across as not very bright. Just listen to some of the meetings, his dumb questions and sometimes the same question over and over and he loves the sound of his own voice. West Kelowna can do a lot better than Findlater. Please do your own research, ask staff how he is and how he talks and treats them, how he despises the WFN, RDCO and other organizations. He is not a bridge builder and WestBank will never develop properly with him as mayor. Findlater loves Findlator and notice he makes sure he is in every issue of every Westbank paper. That is not a coincidence. PLEASE take some time and do your own research, it is to bad we don't have the sleuths and diggers of the truth like in days past because there is a lot of "dirt" buried.
waterwings
Übergod

Post by waterwings »

nikonfan wrote:WestBank will never develop properly with him as mayor. .

I don't agree with your entire message, however, my point in this post is Westbank no longer exists. We live in West Kelowna.
waterwings
Übergod

Post by waterwings »

whoops should have added there is a community called westbank.
mystica
Board Meister

Post by mystica »

"The current mayor of west Kelowna has a reputation of arrogance, know it all, abrasive and sometimes comes across as not very bright. Just listen to some of the meetings, his dumb questions and sometimes the same question over and over and he loves the sound of his own voice. West Kelowna can do a lot better than Findlater."

I think that Findlater should be renamed Shah Jahan! He wants to build a Taj Mahal City Hall as a monument to himself! When other alternatives have been suggested he has pooh poohed the ideas and plowed on ahead with the very expensive Elliot road plan.

We are a new municipality with a lot of expensive years ahead of us as we make the move from rural village to town. The added burden of this "monument to Findlater" is just not necessary. Perhaps if it is built, it should be a monument to the First Mayor of West Kelowna - Rosalind Neis???
inquisitive
Fledgling

Post by inquisitive »

It would be wonderful, and very brave,but nevertheless realistic, if one of Findlater's opponents made the subject of placing a hold on the Findlater Hall edifice as an important plank in her/his platform - or better still if both opponents stipulated this as a main object of their mayoralty.
Would this not be interesting if his "flagship project" turned out to be his Achilles Heel? HMMMMMM!
DO I hear a rallying cry? This could be the lightning rod marking a new direction for West Kelowna. Who is with me on this idea?
(Hopefully, two mayoralty candidates plus sufficient well-meaning voters.)
mystica
Board Meister

Post by mystica »

Naturally I agree with you inquisitive!
"Findlater Folly" is a more apt name for this possible erection!
jpwanabee

Post by jpwanabee »

The West Kelowna election is getting a little more interesting. Johnston has some good things to say and looks like he's giving the race his best shot. http://youtu.be/EPVjKYnoGnQ
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

jpwanabee wrote:The West Kelowna election is getting a little more interesting. Johnston has some good things to say and looks like he's giving the race his best shot. http://youtu.be/EPVjKYnoGnQ

I'm wondering why he would want to jump into the Mayor's position, having no experience in local government. An investment of time as a councillor may make him a more viable contender. I would probably even vote for him if he was running for that position. As West Kelowna is still in a critical growing stage, I'm not sure I would want to take a chance on someone lacking valuable governing experience sitting in the Mayor's chair.
I birn quil I se
mystica
Board Meister

Post by mystica »

Findlater might have experience in Municipal Politics.....................But he also has incredible ego, a lack of willingness to the opinions of others if their don't happen to coincide with his views. He is also stubborn , and not perhaps in a good way.
As part of the Old Boys network, Findlater's determination to get his way is not always the best thing for West Kelowna.

I think that a new, forward looking mayor, might just be the best thing for us.

The Mayor does not act alone. They cannot make Municipal decisions without the support of the rest of the council.
But the Mayor can help direct the direction the Municipality takes.

I vote to take a step forward with Mr Johnston.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

All candidates forum coming up:

Wednesday, October 29th, 7-9pm at Mar Jok Elelmentary school in Rose Valley.

A great opportunity to find out the vision each of the candidates have for our District. Also to check out the new school.

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”