Shepherd for Mayor?

Temporary forum for civic elections
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Shepherd..Mayor.

Post by Ken7 »

landlady1 wrote:
Ok here's the correction! The issue you refer to is the Simpson Covenant, and Sharon stood up to ensure that the covenant was upheld and the land in question remained for the benefit of all citizens. See the Castanet story here: http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/41 ... ant-appeal.

So unfortunate that some people may be making such a crucial decision about our community based on inaccurate information. Please educate yourself and make sure you have the real facts before you vote!

By reading this, why would it take the Court to make ruling? Can Mayor not read? It should have never gone that far and that was money thrown to lawyers for what I ask you? You make it sound like she was the brains here but she let it go to the stage of court. Come on now, it was in the books that the land was to remain as a park for all to enjoy. The Mayor should have known that, and told counsel let's not go there. She apparently is no leader!

Edit - She would have had this document.

http://www.kelowna.ca/CityPage/Docs/PDF ... erties.pdf
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

Ken7 wrote:
By reading this, why would it take the Court to make ruling? Can Mayor not read? It should have never gone that far and that was money thrown to lawyers for what I ask you? You make it sound like she was the brains here but she let it go to the stage of court. Come on now, it was in the books that the land was to remain as a park for all to enjoy. The Mayor should have known that, and told counsel let's not go there. She apparently is no leader!

Edit - She would have had this document.

http://www.kelowna.ca/CityPage/Docs/PDF ... erties.pdf

Read this:
http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/41 ... ant-appeal

Now, I am a pretty smart guy, but even so I don't think I would have to be to understand what this says and what happened. You can continue in denial but at the end the truth is there for all to see. Strengthening it or rewording it for your ends says a lot.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

I won't try and run you down on your last comment.

This would also have been available to Mayor Shepherd. If you take the time to read even page one, it tells the story which I suspect she was privileged to. This is in regards to the Simpson property.

http://www.kelowna.ca/CityPage/Docs/PDF ... 0Lands.pdf

When persons in power fail to keep agreements, I can not trust them nor could I vote to have them elected into office.
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

Ken7 wrote:I won't try and run you down on your last comment.

This would also have been available to Mayor Shepherd. If you take the time to read even page one, it tells the story which I suspect she was privileged to. This is in regards to the Simpson property.

When persons in power fail to keep agreements, I can not trust them nor could I vote to have them elected into office.

Well I appreciate you keeping it civil. Ok, I read it. What's your point? Are you suggesting in some way that Shepherd did something wrong through this whole process? If so be specific? What's your point? As I recall Shepherd was the only one standing up against Wally and his council of side-kicks and we're all dame lucky she did. She then turned the issue into an election point for '05 and spanked Wally. I think that speaks volumes to how the rest felt. However the old guard remain and the battle wasn't over. Not sure what your point is, but I'd be curious to know to whom your refer to in: When "persons" ... what persons are you talking about. Come man, name names, you're safe.

You do know Lawson's Landing Project is Milroy right? I don't want a 26 story anything within 5 blocks of the lakeshore and the sails. That's my point. You know one that will being shading most of the walk from it to the New Yacht club (Shepherd did that) on any given sunny winter's day. When all the fine folk of Kelowna are recreating about the ice rink, beautiful lakeshore with their kids in tow. You know what I mean, have you ever stood in Stuart park on such a day. I have, and there has been a thousand others just like me. Glad the park is ours and not some Alberta (insert comment here).
TTHR
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

the truth wrote:she is spineless , every thing with her is a study,nothing got done when she was in charge , everything was study this study that, has she said anything about what she is going to do about crime in this city???

What has Walley done about it? Nothing! If you want to talk spineless, just look at the current coucil, made up of FourChange puppetmasters, with you-know-who at the wheel. At least SHE will make decisions, not ask the FourChange "masters" what they think he should do to line their own pockets at the sake of OUR city. Thanks, but no thanks truth, I'll stick with Sharon,(the one with a spine).
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

at this stage they have all been spineless
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Mtn Biker wrote:

Well I appreciate you keeping it civil. Ok, I read it. What's your point? Are you suggesting in some way that Shepherd did something wrong through this whole process? If so be specific? What's your point.

My point is as Mayor she knew the agreement existed, and if she did not she should not ever hold a seat on counsel. When you knowingly go against something such as the Simpson Covenant agreement that makes you and your members of counsel look terrible.

Then to spend taxpayers money to challenge the agreement in court is throwing money away. As a leader she should have put a stop to this right in counsel chambers. A good leader in my opinion would have the qualities to do so, therefore I say she is no leader. IF anyone further wishes to give this City anything at discount prices as a handshake agreement, why would you, knowing the next Shepherd will try and quash the deal and do as they please. That is why I stated what I have. I do not trust her and therefore would not give her my vote. She is like many of our federal politicians, not good on their word

This isn't about Wally, I wouldn't vote for him either, he's a beady eyes snake in long grass. I wonder what he got out of the deal you speak of?? I have heard his son has reaped benefits from Daddy being Mayor but won't get into it. I'm with you regarding our shoreline and I think that whole deal sucks! .

You do know Lawson's Landing Project is Milroy right? I don't want a 26 story anything within 5 blocks of the lakeshore and the sails. That's my point. You know one that will being shading most of the walk from it to the New Yacht club (Shepherd did that) on any given sunny winter's day. When all the fine folk of Kelowna are recreating about the ice rink, beautiful lakeshore with their kids in tow. You know what I mean, have you ever stood in Stuart park on such a day. I have, and there has been a thousand others just like me. Glad the park is ours and not some Alberta (insert comment here).
TTHR
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

Ok here's the correction! The issue you refer to is the Simpson Covenant, and Sharon stood up to ensure that the covenant was upheld and the land in question remained for the benefit of all citizens. See the Castanet story here: http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/41 ... ant-appeal.

So unfortunate that some people may be making such a crucial decision about our community based on inaccurate information. Please educate yourself and make sure you have the real facts before you vote![/quote]

Thank you for the info, landlady. I knew she wasn't in favor of giving it away, as it belongs to the people, not Wally and Co. Listen up, good people of Kelowna!! Get facts and make your decision, and remember, for the record, Sharon stood up to the big guys in favor of leaving the Simpson land to the people of Kelowna, not 6 people who vacation here.
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by nextimeround »

jamapple wrote:
Thank you for the info, landlady. I knew she wasn't in favor of giving it away, as it belongs to the people, not Wally and Co. Listen up, good people of Kelowna!! Get facts and make your decision, and remember, for the record, Sharon stood up to the big guys in favor of leaving the Simpson land to the people of Kelowna, not 6 people who vacation here.

Great point. And to Ken7 - you hold Sharon Sheppard responsible for this having to go to court even though she is only one vote? You claim she wasn't much of a leader and yet she managed to lead enough of the council down the right path to have the end result that we all wanted. You may be right, without her it may not have gone to court - no, the land would likely have been parceled off without objection had this been Gray or any other mayor.
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

Curious to know if Ken had his questions answered. I've read the facts and they clearly support the point that if not for Shepherd the Simpson Covenant would have be compromised. Remember Ken, these folks got here long before us, including the council of the time. I can post their names if you like, and you can see, Sharon stood alone. Enough said.
mystica
Board Meister

Post by mystica »

Don't get bogged down in the past!
Move on and look at Sharon today.

What are her views and opinions now. It is some years since she was Mayor and a lot has happened since then.
It is only the dull and ignorant who remain static in their thinking and outlook in the face of change.

Sharon is showing that those with life experience have the courage to make alterations to their mindset -IF it is needed.

Sharon is the best person to lead Kelowna forward........I believe.
At this point in time, i think Kelowna needs an experienced politician at the helm, NOT a "Newbie"!
Type_O
Board Meister

Post by Type_O »

mystica wrote:At this point in time, i think Kelowna needs an experienced politician at the helm, NOT a "Newbie"!

Certainly, not a groomed, media trained, salesman (realtor), "Newbie".

THIS will be his DREAM JOB. He may even become the nextime biggest track of land to sell - REALTOR AS MAYOR!
canucksfan17

Post by canucksfan17 »

Are you kidding me?
I am not sure why this is even a question if Sharon will become mayor, she better not.
If she is elected I swear I will leave this city, even Detroit would be a better alternative than Kelowna under the rule of this crazy old lady who does nothing but talk and talk and talk.
Anyone who has a little bit of common sense could be the mayor, apparently Sharon does not.
Heck, I could even be the mayor, however I am going to stay in university so I can pursue a 7 digit salary.
I feel like the taxpayers of Kelowna still need to be reimbursed for Sharon's two terms as mayor, we paid this wacky woman a decent salary for her to talk her mouth off and cut ribbons. Literally nothing was accomplished when she was mayor.
Someone mentioned the skating rink downtown, well actually it wasn't her idea, do the research.
Also I read someone say something about how the new bridge was built during her time as mayor.
Like excuse me, your statements are just an insult to your intelligence, do you not know that the bridge was a Provincial government project and the plans for it were actually made when good old Walter Grey was in his rightful place as mayor.
Listing the bridge as one of Sharon's accomplishments is completely irrational and does not make the slightest bit of sense. It is like saying that since I bought season tickets for the Rockets, then they won the memorial cup. Oh do you not remember that? Must be one of those Sharon supporters who is new in town.
For all of you who are supporting her, you must be completely oblivious to what happened when she was mayor and what happened once she left.
Sharon only caters to a small minority who are against development and who want to see the city exponentially decay.
I along with many of my colleagues at UBCO feel like our voice does not matter to Sharon, she does not see us as the future of the city. The thought that many UBCO graduates will not be the future of the city actually could and will become a sad reality if she is elected. No young people want to live in an aging town that offers almost nothing to young people. Our nightlife is a joke at best, there's nothing classier to do than pick up an STD at flashbacks on a Saturday night. The house prices are so extreme that I do not think any UBCO grad can afford to live in Kelowna until they retire. We need more high density, low rent apartments downtown and throughout the city to cater to those like myself who cannot afford to live in a 4000 square foot home in the mission. I could see there being very few young people in Kelowna in the near future if certain issues like the ones stated above are not addressed by the right person, of which is not Sharon as she has pitifully proven in her past two terms. I am not sure what is so difficult to understand, the population of our city is aging fast, pretty soon we will become a ghost town if advancements are not made in which to attract more people to live and work here. More healthcare workers will be needed to care for the elderly as the population ages, therefore we should invest in enlarging our medical program to attract more healthcare professionals to study and then work here. We must develop more to stimulate the economy, making the gay pride festival a whole week won't do that. (Probably the biggest accomplishment of her two terms)
As I said before, I will never repeat myself again.
Change is good, but dollars are better.
Polish people and the Calgary Flames, two different things, but so similar.
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

canucksfan17 wrote:Are you kidding me?
I am not sure why this is even a question if Sharon will become mayor, she better not.
If she is elected I swear I will leave this city, even Detroit would be a better alternative than Kelowna under the rule of this crazy old lady who does nothing but talk and talk and talk.
Anyone who has a little bit of common sense could be the mayor, apparently Sharon does not.
Heck, I could even be the mayor, however I am going to stay in university so I can pursue a 7 digit salary.
I feel like the taxpayers of Kelowna still need to be reimbursed for Sharon's two terms as mayor, we paid this wacky woman a decent salary for her to talk her mouth off and cut ribbons. Literally nothing was accomplished when she was mayor.
Someone mentioned the skating rink downtown, well actually it wasn't her idea, do the research.
Also I read someone say something about how the new bridge was built during her time as mayor.
Like excuse me, your statements are just an insult to your intelligence, do you not know that the bridge was a Provincial government project and the plans for it were actually made when good old Walter Grey was in his rightful place as mayor.
Listing the bridge as one of Sharon's accomplishments is completely irrational and does not make the slightest bit of sense. It is like saying that since I bought season tickets for the Rockets, then they won the memorial cup. Oh do you not remember that? Must be one of those Sharon supporters who is new in town.
For all of you who are supporting her, you must be completely oblivious to what happened when she was mayor and what happened once she left.
Sharon only caters to a small minority who are against development and who want to see the city exponentially decay.
I along with many of my colleagues at UBCO feel like our voice does not matter to Sharon, she does not see us as the future of the city. The thought that many UBCO graduates will not be the future of the city actually could and will become a sad reality if she is elected. No young people want to live in an aging town that offers almost nothing to young people. Our nightlife is a joke at best, there's nothing classier to do than pick up an STD at flashbacks on a Saturday night. The house prices are so extreme that I do not think any UBCO grad can afford to live in Kelowna until they retire. We need more high density, low rent apartments downtown and throughout the city to cater to those like myself who cannot afford to live in a 4000 square foot home in the mission. I could see there being very few young people in Kelowna in the near future if certain issues like the ones stated above are not addressed by the right person, of which is not Sharon as she has pitifully proven in her past two terms. I am not sure what is so difficult to understand, the population of our city is aging fast, pretty soon we will become a ghost town if advancements are not made in which to attract more people to live and work here. More healthcare workers will be needed to care for the elderly as the population ages, therefore we should invest in enlarging our medical program to attract more healthcare professionals to study and then work here. We must develop more to stimulate the economy, making the gay pride festival a whole week won't do that. (Probably the biggest accomplishment of her two terms)

I truly appreciate your long winded diatribe, but seriously you are misrepresenting so many fact it's quite comical. And I think there is a lot of work in northern AB if you're looking to relocate.

Speaking of young people, I have been talking to many. They are saying, no I haven't been involved in the past, but I will this time because I earn my way. I think if we can get his age bracket and younger to vote, they'll demonstrate his rep in that group is one of arrogance and snobbery. They say Shepherd has clearly shown a vision and resolve to keep the city for it's citizens. Where as the "Colin the Gray" faction cater to a small group of developers who only care about their erections in the sky to demonstrate why they drive a Vette. If you know what I mean, Freud alluded to it.

Just writing like you do demonstrates to me you are blind or ignorant of the facts and history that has propelled Kelowna over the last 20 years. I am not asleep at the wheel and on Shepherd's watch we have so much more.

TTHR
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

Very well said. But I believe he said he'll move to Detroit. I hear the black flies aren't too bad there this time of year. Just if you can get people to stick to their guns when they say something. And Walleys "rightful " place? Well, you lost me on that one! Too funny!! Colin, is that you??

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”