I have no opinion
No votes

Total votes: 58

Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board

Kelowna Mayoral Race

Post by Lady tehMa »

This
Shepherd, Basran, Kelly Row, Chuck Hardy and Sam Condy have all declared their intentions to run for mayor.

Was in this article http://www.castanet.net/news/Municipal-Elections-2014/124533/Shepherd-touts-experience

So these are our options?

I'm discarding Shepherd out of hand. While she's a nice enough person, she dithers far too much. "I don't know, what do you think?" Committee committee committee.

Basran, Row, Hardy and Condy.

I'd like to see some platforms up. If you see links to any, please provide.

Edit: Did some digging

Mayoral Candidates and Links http://www.kelowna.ca/CM/Page4740.aspx

Basran http://colinbasranforkelowna.com/my-platform/

Row http://www.kellyformayor.ca/

No links for Hardy or Condy

Shepherd http://sharonshepherdformayor.com/my-plan/
Last edited by Lady tehMa on Oct 11th, 2014, 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
PLEASE use spellcheck. If that is too hard, consider installing the Grammarly (free!) app that will not only spellcheck for you (AND offer corrections!) but also make sure that your sentences are grammatically correct.

You're welcome.
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board

Re: Kelowna Mayoral Race

Post by Lady tehMa »

Poll added.

I would like to hear reasons why people are supporting candidates. I'm not going to ban negative comments, but keep the venom of out it.

More than why you don't want to vote for someone, I want to hear why you DO want to vote for someone. Concrete examples are appreciated.
PLEASE use spellcheck. If that is too hard, consider installing the Grammarly (free!) app that will not only spellcheck for you (AND offer corrections!) but also make sure that your sentences are grammatically correct.

You're welcome.
Mtn Biker
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Mtn Biker »

May I inquire if this is a sample of venom ...

I'm discarding Shepherd out of hand. While she's a nice enough person, she dithers far too much. "I don't know, what do you think?" Committee committee committee.

Just saying that's so 2011 . . . why not come up with some new material? I'll take 15 years of real work and lessons learned, than any other candidate standing on the stage. She knows more than this group combined.

TTHR
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

Sam Condy is the son of Cal Condy who ran last time, I think he is just running for the fun of it, much like his father did.
Hardy is too busy teaching the Firearms course.

If these two don't bow out, there is something wrong.
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board

Post by Lady tehMa »

Mtn Biker wrote:May I inquire if this is a sample of venom ...

Mtn Biker wrote:Just saying that's so 2011 . . . why not come up with some new material? I'll take 15 years of real work and lessons learned, than any other candidate standing on the stage. She knows more than this group combined.

TTHR

Venom? I think not, it is an opinion backed up by a reason. There is nothing there that could cause offense. I don't mind her personally, I just don't believe she should be mayor again. Others will disagree, we'll have the election and that will be that.

I'm more interested in what reasons others have for supporting candidates, even if I disagree.

You're welcome.
Mtn Biker
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Mtn Biker »

Lady tehMa wrote:
Venom? I think not, it is an opinion backed up by a reason. There is nothing there that could cause offense. I don't mind her personally, I just don't believe she should be mayor again. Others will disagree, we'll have the election and that will be that.

I'm more interested in what reasons others have for supporting candidates, even if I disagree.

My reason is since 1996 she has worked for the city and for the 10 years before that, her neighborhood. Being part of one myself at that time I knew some issues. I use the word "work", you know, to do effort measured in time or purposeful .. so I think that trumps one term. Specially one spent ribbon cutting on the backs of those who came before, only to claim victory as if its their own type ideas. That says it loud, strong and clear. Why does one suggest a hand puppet should lead? I've see the stuff on the street and someones pulling all the stops. Large signs emblazoning a lost or forgot fortune seeker's building. With Wally arm in arm with the young air-apparent . . . so we're being sold.
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board

Post by Lady tehMa »

How about those who have candidates they support, list the actual accomplishments or credits to their name?

For example Mtn Biker, what did Ms. Shepherd create during her time in office? Actual contributions, please. No committees or ribbon cutting.

If there are any proponents of the other candidates, I would like to hear what they bring to the table as well.

One of the things that irks me about politics is all the vagueness, doublespeak and spin. I would like something concrete to base a decision on. Until then I'll be researching. We have quite a list of Councillor candidates to choose amongst.

You're welcome.
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

Shepherd was mayor during the financial collapse. If things slowed down during her last four or five years, it wasn't her fault.

The alternative to Shep is a bag of gas with a facebook page. Someone who jumps from career to career and doesn't do well in any of them. A guy who banged around OK College for five years, but apparently has nothing to show for it. A guy who was on council for three years and has nothing to brag about. A guy who started selling house(s) because being a small town cub reporter was too hard. Now he wants to be mayor because selling house(s) is too hard.

His handlers are selling you a pig in a poke. A lot of people will fall for it. But frankly, one has to be crazy, stupid or both to vote for someone as empty as that lad.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

UltraViolet wrote:Sam Condy is the son of Cal Condy who ran last time, I think he is just running for the fun of it, much like his father did.

That's awesome.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
KelownaResid

Post by KelownaResid »

Section 116 of the Community Charter reads as follows:
Responsibilities of mayor
116 (1) The mayor is the head and chief executive officer of the municipality.
(2) In addition to the mayor's responsibilities as a member of council, the mayor has the following responsibilities:
(a) to provide leadership to the council, including by recommending bylaws, resolutions and other measures that, in the mayor's opinion, may assist the peace, order and good government of the municipality;
(b) to communicate information to the council;
(c) to preside at council meetings when in attendance;
(d) to provide, on behalf of the council, general direction to municipal officers respecting implementation of municipal policies, programs and other directions of the council;
(e) to establish standing committees in accordance with section 141;
(f) to suspend municipal officers and employees in accordance with section 151;
(g) to reflect the will of council and to carry out other duties on behalf of the council;
(h) to carry out other duties assigned under this or any other Act.

http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/LOC ... Charter%20[SBC%202003]%20c.%2026/00_Act/03026_05.xml#division_d2e10514

My question to all the Kelowna mayoral candidates is: What experience do you have to successfully implement the responsibilities of a mayor as listed in the Community Charter section 116? Specifically, what examples can you provide from your past that shows you are able to:

(a) to provide leadership to the council, including by recommending bylaws, resolutions and other measures that, in the mayor's opinion, may assist the peace, order and good government of the municipality;
(d) to provide, on behalf of the council, general direction to municipal officers respecting implementation of municipal policies, programs and other directions of the council;
Iamsomeone
Fledgling

Post by Iamsomeone »

KelownaResid wrote:My question to all the Kelowna mayoral candidates is: What experience do you have to successfully implement the responsibilities of a mayor as listed in the Community Charter section 116? Specifically, what examples can you provide from your past that shows you are able to:

This is an important question to ask.

With the election of 8 councillors, we will have, at a minimum, at least 3 new inexperienced council members and maybe as many as 8 new inexperienced council members.

If we then elect an inexperienced Mayor, we all know who will be left to educate and provide leadership to council - City manager, Mr. Mattiussi.

Nothing against Mr. Mattiussi but that's completely wrong and unacceptable to me. The whole reason for a democratic election is to vote for people who will represent the wishes of us - the taxpayers.

Our Mayor and Council should be directing city staff - not the other way around. I hope voters think carefully about the points listed in your post.
KelownaResid

Post by KelownaResid »

One thing that stands out with the 2011 election results is the number of votes Basran got.

http://www.kelowna.ca/iElections/script ... on2011.htm

Basran finished with the third most votes, more votes than some long serving council members including Hobson & Blanleil. I think the main reason why Basran did so well was he hired a local company to assist him with his campaign in 2011. Here is the link

http://www.centroconsultinginc.com/case ... councilor/

The above centro consulting link states:
We extensively studied the scientific and popular literature on elections and voting behaviour. Our hunch was confirmed very early in the research phase - voting is not a rational behaviour and people rarely vote for the candidate who best represents their interests. Instead, people primarily vote for the person who they are comfortable with and who they thing exhibits strong leadership qualitites. In municipal politics it often comes down to name recognition and that's why incumbents are often re-elected. At the end of the day it's a popularity contest.

It will be interesting to see who wins this popularity contest between Shepherd and Basran.
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by nextimeround »

Basran is a charismatic guy. We all know that. Unfortunately it takes more than charisma to do a good job as mayor. We don't need people that look slick and who want to pad up their resume for personal gain. We need people who have a proven record of sacrificing for the good of the community. Basran has not earned that and now he has shown, for me at least, that he has his own agenda and cares more about pleasing a handful of money men than he does about this city.

I used to like Colin and might have supported him if he had shown some integrity. Fortunately for us (unfortunate for him) his true colours shone.
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

Basran is basically the Kelowna Soufflé candidate. Nice to look at on the outside, but full of hot air.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

nextimeround wrote:Basran is a charismatic guy. We all know that. Unfortunately it takes more than charisma to do a good job as mayor. We don't need people that look slick and who want to pad up their resume for personal gain. We need people who have a proven record of sacrificing for the good of the community. Basran has not earned that and now he has shown, for me at least, that he has his own agenda and cares more about pleasing a handful of money men than he does about this city.

I used to like Colin and might have supported him if he had shown some integrity. Fortunately for us (unfortunate for him) his true colours shone.

So, according to you, he should have publically stated that he did want the endorsement of the largest employer in town? That would be showing integrity?

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”