Lake Country municipal election

Temporary forum for civic elections
omisimaw
Guru

Re: Lake Country municipal election

Post by omisimaw »

George+ wrote:Is the McCarthy drining range legal?

Probably by now... they have been fighting ALR forever for it
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

oatesang wrote:Rwede - I like you, you make me smile, very intelligent, very fair, well thought out answers to comments, I am enjoying reading them.

Omisimaw - Not so much. You're harshing my mellow. I can answer your comment to my last post "OMG, are you for real?" by saying, Yes, actually, I am for real, unlike yourself who I assume orbits the planet Defeo. The language in your comment leaves a lot to be desired, it is not necessary to talk about bodily fundtions to descibe your displeasure, we understand that you are upset, so am I, but I try to be a bit more delicate, see my description below.

Your statements regarding the education status of the district staff (past and present) shows that you think experience is not worth much. Remember that while these managers were studying at University for years, the people who they now manage, were actually learning the jobs from the ground up, that should be respected, not sneered at. Your insinuation that they are worth less is insulting beyond belief. Education does not equal intelligence or business sense, Steve Jobs, Richard Branson and Bill Gates all dropped out of school or college and I don't think anyone would consider them uneducated!!

I don't know who you are, but I am sure anyone will be able to recocognize you the next time you are out for a walk with Defeo, you will be the one with your nose firmly lodged up his Keister. Are you two in love? Well, I suppose it is nice that someone likes him.

And the pair of you need to get a job, you spend far too much time on these forums, and it is taking too much of my time reading them all!!!

Welcome to the board

Lake Country has finally had a sensational shake up.... well done De Feo... well done... but then knowing you were arriving and knowing the many local governments you have saved and knowing the mindset around this one, I could see the uphill battle and the complaints... the whining the crying... well read above and there it is

I have all the time I want to spend on whatever I want and you do not have to spend any time, that is your choice...

Your rude retorts indicate your personality in spades and as you say when you are out in public we pick you out of a crowd, you are the what loud mouthed one squarely planted on the stool at the end of the bar.... the one with the loud voice and loud mouth ...

As for you perception of experience... well it is and has been very easy for many in this type of scenerio to inhabit a spot in the hall, their butt squarely planted in "their" chair, that consider the organization owes them more than their pay cheque, they expect that this cheque should be forever and think that 5 years or 10 or even 20 make the person experienced... doesn't quite work that way...
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
phreeagent

Post by phreeagent »

various video clips from Lake Country All Candidate Forum at Creekside Theatre in Winfield, November 3/2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjMLLSV-9xg
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

A couple of interesting letters to the editor in the Calendar yesterday on this subject.

One by omisimaw (you ought to have used different words on here omi, as it's obvious which is yours) and one by a person who knows how upset the whole district staff is right now after the Defeo/Baker million dollar boondoggle. I don't think it will result in Randy Rose getting onto council, but I think it will hurt Baker's and the other incumbents' chances of re-election. Some pretty scathing comments about Owen Dickie too for which he's going to have to answer before this campaign is done, in my opinion.

I went to the Creekside on Monday night and had basically the same reaction as others who attended. The winds of change are blowing strongly. McCarthy emerged the far stronger candidate over Baker. It will be interesting to see the final poll results, but right now I would put money on McCarthy and his message that is ringing true with so many. I think it's going to be a landslide win for McCarthy.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Gone_Fishin wrote:A couple of interesting letters to the editor in the Calendar yesterday on this subject.

One by omisimaw (you ought to have used different words on here omi, as it's obvious which is yours) and one by a person who knows how upset the whole district staff is right now after the Defeo/Baker million dollar boondoggle. I don't think it will result in Randy Rose getting onto council, but I think it will hurt Baker's and the other incumbents' chances of re-election. Some pretty scathing comments about Owen Dickie too for which he's going to have to answer before this campaign is done, in my opinion.

I went to the Creekside on Monday night and had basically the same reaction as others who attended. The winds of change are blowing strongly. McCarthy emerged the far stronger candidate over Baker. It will be interesting to see the final poll results, but right now I would put money on McCarthy and his message that is ringing true with so many. I think it's going to be a landslide win for McCarthy.

Guess again! Was not me, I do not write letters to the Calendar.
As stated many many times before.... there are more than 1% of the populace of LC (# in attendance at the Creekside) that disagree with you and others like you.
Of course some of the staff at the hall are upset and they should be because they may be next! The days of getting a nice fat pay cheque, benefits and not having to really work for it are over!
The taxpayers are happy, things are now starting to turn around and the hall is starting to become the professional local government machine it was always intended to be.
Having an active local land developer on council, any council, is just insane no matter what the position. Couple that with non residents running for the local seats and it shows that there are a ton of people in the district who love to complain but do absolutely nothing about it.... they have all the time in the world to be negative and complain but no time or balls to actually put their names on a ballot!
oatesang

Post by oatesang »

Omisimaw - We get it, Saint Defeo and his disciples can do no wrong in your eyes, and I will be the first to agree that not everything they have done has been wrong but, unlike you, most of us do not look through "rose" tinted glasses, no pun intended! Troll, really? You don't see the humour in your suggestion?

I don't actually care what you think of me, I don't have a loud voice, a loud mouth or sit at the end of the bar, I don't frequent pubs at all, I am quite a quiet person normally, oh and you also think I am rude? Seriously? Do you not read what you write? You are the rudest and most vitriolic person on these forums. They are designed for an exchange of opinions, unfortunately you think your opinion is the only one and comment when someone disagrees with you.

I first wrote on this forum because I do not agree with the staff layoffs in this latest round of "shake up's" as you call it and in my opinion I thought it would not hurt for there to be someone on council who knows the workings at the district, someone who could ask the questions that others couldn't. I don't know Randy Rose personally, it is my understanding that he retired from his position as CAO at the district, so I cannot understand why you or anyone else thinks he is looking to 'occupy the corner office' again. I don't believe that he is running for council for financial gain as no-one gets rich that way, but I am glad, if nothing else, that someone has the guts to bring this to the attention of the taxpayer. You don't seem to care about the effect these lay offs have, not just on the staff but on their families too, or the staff left behind who suddenly realise, that the years of service and loyalty they have given to the district mean nothing, or that the amount of money used for severances could have been used for our benefit. Having an advocate to speak on their behalf and on the behalf of the taxpayers is a good thing even if you don't agree with the choice.

You should read Lisa Cameron's thoughts on the restructuring in the candidates Q & A in the Lake Country Calendar, she does not agree with it either and she was directly involved in the decisions made, and as a member of your super council I assume she can do no wrong either. How is that possible? To dare to disagree?? Heavens, she must be wrong too. Watch your back Lisa, omisimaw will be in touch soon!

Your choice of words in answer to Gone_Fishin regarding how upset the staff are, is disgusting and you should be ashamed. How dare you insinuate that they do not really work hard for their pay cheques and benefits, who do you think you are? I simply cannot understand why you seem to get so much pleasure from the demise of the district staff! The staff I have dealt with have always, and I mean always, been very helpful and have gone out of their way to help me, they are knowledgeable and polite as public servants should be, and I don't think that it helps those that are left, to be treated with such scorn just for doing their jobs. Shame on you.

And I asssume the irony of your comment, "There are a ton of people in the district who love to complain, who have all the time in the world to be negative and complain but no time or balls to actually put their names on a ballot", was completely lost on you!!!

I agree with many of the other contributors, that change is a-coming, and if Randy Rose gets in, then so be it, if not, then he doesn't, but at least people are talking. Does it even matter who gets in? They will do what they want just like any other politician and we will pay the price whatever it costs.
hallgirl

Post by hallgirl »

Couldnt agree with you more oatesang
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Well then put your X next to his name!

You will not be alone but unfortunately talk on the street puts you in the minority.

You say you do not know the man and that says volumes... it means you have not taken the time to look at the history of the man...

he is upset because his buddies got the boot...

he is no longer there to cover up or put up with all the games...

he has a huge history of past local government litigation and yet tries to say others are not doing a good job....

and the list can go on and on and on

So yes it is RUDE to speak of things based on superficial knowledge....

but go for it, put your x where you want, that is your legal right, but remember it is 4 years, 4 hard long years and a ton of money to correct anything that is wrong with that decision in the end...

plus if anyone in their right mind thinks hiring (by election) non residents to do local business is prudent then there is no hope at all for taxpayers...

Smear me all you want but you admit you do not know the man... so if you do not think it rude to chastise or call into question others that do then so be it... but then you are just looking through those rose colored glasses again...

Best change up a bit and go to the local watering holes once and awhile... you can meet some great people and rub elbows with those that have been there and done that with some of these oldies wanting a comeback.... maybe then your opinions would be somewhat tempered....
EZGuy

Post by EZGuy »

Sounds like several of the forum fans of the current mayor, council and administrator might just be those who got promoted at the District during the restructuring. There certainly are no where near as many folks attending the twice monthly council meetings as there are contributors to Lake Country based forums. Just saying!

What happens if you don't vote for mayor, is that still a valid ballot? Sends a message...

Don't expect many from Carrs Landing to come out as many live in Alberta or those who do live here already have their ward councilor selected. And why Vader feels $90 is too much for a business license is way beyond me, if a business in DLC can't afford $90 for a license fold up the tent and leave town. Charge all those unlicensed businesses a big fine for not being licensed like other municipalities do. Just look at all those Web sites where people rent out their house for $4000 a week in the summer. Hello its a single family home next door NOT A HOTEL.

I'm fed up with the business business business agenda of the past few councils. This is a bedroom community comprised almost entirely of residents, then an agricultural community (which gets many workers from Mexico because those of us who live here don't care to do that type of labour or dash up north to make real money). We the residents go to the mall in Kelowna or Vernon because there is more selection. Or to a big box store due to price. Or maybe we also went to the gym, the pool, a movie in Kelowna/Vernon as well as shopping and dinner out because those amenities are not here. Cummon yer as guilty as I am, that's why your face is reddening!

Council, we the residential tax payers don't need to subsidise business by providing lower municipal fees or avoiding commercial property taxes or forgiving improvement charges. There is only so much commercial floor space this community of 11k can support. What will you do when existing commercial floor space is left vacated in favor of a fresh new location?

One of the current councilors said Monday night at the candidates meeting a 1% tax raise is $90,000.DLCs economic development officer us costing us 1% and for what? A business will locate here regardless of this "officer". Easy pickings for the new mayor, along with a focus on the residential and agricultural and hopefully recreational nature of Lake Country.

Oh crap, I went on a rant again. ENJOY your rebuttal.
oatesang

Post by oatesang »

As I said in my first post, I cannot vote in the Winfield ward, so I would not be able to vote for Mr. Rose anyway, I was just supporting his comments. In my last post I said I did not know him personally, but then, I and most of the community don't know any of the other candidates personally either! I was one of the 130 residents that did go to the candidates forum at the Creekside Theatre and I listened to what each and everyone of them had to say. Did you?

Anyway, it was fascinating to hear the answers that each one gave to the same questions, and having heard them, I voted on Wednesday for a candidate that I would not have previously considered, had I not heard them speak last Monday. People make assumptions based on other peoples opinions instead of listening to the person, many minds can be changed by looking someone in the face when they are speaking.

The democratic process allows anyone to become a 'leader' in their community no matter their education or employment status and that is a positive thing as long as it is not used to further ones own cause but it is up to the voters to sort out those in a fair and balanced way. Listening to them and talking face to face is an excellent way to get the measure of each candidate and not on forums like these.

The candidates that are non-residents have as much right to apply for council and mayor as residents, the fact that they are running for these positions in Lake Country shows that they care. One lives on the wrong side of the road, another would love to live here but cannot get a foothold in our very expensive real estate market at the moment and the other has ties to the community going back generations and has admitted that the move to Kelowna was temporary. I don't think it matters where they live as long as their hearts are here.

Thankyou for your suggestion that I do start to frequent bars to enable me to understand what the people on the streets are thinking but I will pass on the invitation if you don't mind, neither place has ever appealed to me.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Seating capacity is 260+... no exact figure of attendance official that is... so by your statement that you felt there were 130 + or - there that is really not that great, given all this controversy .....
One would have thought with all the arrows being shot at one another the candidates would have filled the place to standing room only, with sound broadcast to the foyer ....
130 is less than 1% of the population base.... sad really .... but a true example of how voter apathy is alive and well and should be noted in the results of the election....
Bet they get no more than a 10% turnout which is their norm.
oatesang

Post by oatesang »

At last we agree on something!! Apathy is the only thing thriving in Lake County and you are right, it is sad. The ones that attended were enthusiatic but then they will be the ones that will vote anyway. You will probably win that bet, so get your money out!
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Actually, no one has proof that those in attendance even have the right to vote in Lake Country. Experience and time have proven to me that there are more family and friends in attendance than legitimate voters ....
But oh yeah ... unless it is some sort of referendum specific to the lives in any one ward.. bc's only local government with a neighbourhood / community setup is LC... then the word apathy is shown not only at the polls but this time by the real fact that:

2 if not more candidates for positions are not even residents of the area!

And a main one the Mayor being one of them....

Really folks that is the best that could be found?????
fsbo

Post by fsbo »

Interesting, on Friday I got a flyer in the mail to re-elect Rob Geier outlining his vague platform. I’m not sure if he wants feedback as there is no contact number and the website does not work. Best of all there is a spelling mistake in the first paragraph. Hmmmm?
hallgirl

Post by hallgirl »

I heard a rumour from several different sources that he did not want to run, but was asked to put his name forward again to prevent his opposition from being elected.

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”