Lake Country municipal election

Temporary forum for civic elections
tiredtaxpayer

Re: Lake Country municipal election

Post by tiredtaxpayer »

hallgirl wrote:I heard a rumour from several different sources that he did not want to run, but was asked to put his name forward again to prevent his opposition from being elected.

I had heard the same thing that Rob Geier was going to pack it in until I guess he saw an opportunity to stay on. I think Bill Scarrow was going to run for Winfield then saw an opportunity to run at large. I would question people who jump in to the race thinking it’s an easy win instead of having a real commitment to the position.
~Jan
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Lake Country election is like a contracting out scene...

3 Candidates are not residents of the District and live elsewhere.

They may be non resident voters but if they do not even own property in the District then they can not vote....

something wrong with this picture.... kind of like calling customer service for a local company but having to talk with someone in Bangladesh or Poland!
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
Shelku

Post by Shelku »

phreeagent wrote:various video clips from Lake Country All Candidate Forum at Creekside Theatre in Winfield, November 3/2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjMLLSV-9xg

oatesang wrote:Anyway, it was fascinating to hear the answers that each one gave to the same questions, and having heard them, I voted on Wednesday for a candidate that I would not have previously considered, had I not heard them speak last Monday. People make assumptions based on other peoples opinions instead of listening to the person, many minds can be changed by looking someone in the face when they are speaking.

Thanks for the link! I wasn't able to attend, so I'll have to watch this tonight! I agree with oatesang commenting that seeing and listening to a candidate can make a HUGE difference! I met Jayson when I was looking to rent some office space (on Hwy 97 / Berry Rd). I think Jayson owns both those malls on the West side of the highway, but I might be wrong. Anyway, I found Jayson to be really pleasant to work with. Although I'm not thrilled that he doesn't live in LC right now, he does own property here and work here, so I'm okay with that.

I've also met current mayor Baker and we don't have any other options. Even if you don't like Jayson, did you see the videos with James Baker and Castanet (http://youtu.be/atYCw788WPA, http://youtu.be/kWiJAHtGrm0)... it's hard to feel confident about our home town's future with someone like that in the mayor's seat!
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

James Baker is actually a really decent, well experienced guy.
He and council have had to make some tough decisions.
I would vote for him any day.
Shelku

Post by Shelku »

George+ wrote:James Baker is actually a really decent, well experienced guy.

You're right ... I was probably a little too harsh on James in my earlier post. I have never disliked any of my talks with him either ... but he doesn't instill much confidence as a leader anymore. He also seems rather apathetic for this election, which is a shame because I think if he worked harder at promoting himself he could probably get better results. (Then again, it's hard to get motivated when you know that voter turnout is going to be so low!). There are still some days left ... we'll see if James can turn my opinion still... He'll probably be at the Remembrance Day ceremony at GE tomorrow?
hallgirl

Post by hallgirl »

I have to agree that Mayor Baker is a really nice guy. I don't know anyone who disputes that. BUT I don't believe an academic background is the best for leading a team of councillors in managing a growing budget of $29+million. It is time for a mayor and some new councillors who understand the world of finance and business.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

That would be a huge mistake.

Are you ready for cut and slash?

That is the business world's number one tool.

James is a moderating influence.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

*removed*
Last edited by Jo on Nov 12th, 2014, 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off-topic
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Ouch.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
fentazelb

Post by fentazelb »

George+ wrote:James Baker is actually a really decent, well experienced guy.
He and council have had to make some tough decisions.
I would vote for him any day.

your kidding right? he gets twice the experience with everything he says, since it usually something different out each side of his mouth. A one time good friend of mine who passed away this year knew baker all his life, he considered him a friend but had no use for the guy as a mayor.

hallgirl wrote:I have to agree that Mayor Baker is a really nice guy. I don't know anyone who disputes that. BUT I don't believe an academic background is the best for leading a team of councillors in managing a growing budget of $29+million. It is time for a mayor and some new councillors who understand the world of finance and business.

Hi my name is Todd I disupute it. unless you dont count that being a less than honest person doesnt make you a nice guy. I cant knock all members of the council but I have personally seen Baker lie about current issues, on video I might add. Just watch the clip on the Radio Control flying club when he says that they have tried to get the members of the club in to talk about things and we have always refused to. Um its was the other way around actually, every email the clubs rep made to the DLC was ended with let us know if you want to discuss things and never was there a reply.

one of the other council ladies and I cant find the earlier chbc clip to say who it was also commented that the KORC took the DLC to court, it was the DLC that took us to court the documents prove that.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Issues in Lake a Country are far beyond the Fly Club.

James Baker has shown a strong, moderate hand.

But I would be glad for a few people to hit the streets with their signs.
Shelku

Post by Shelku »

My spouse talked to Jayson McCarthy this morning and asked about his current address being in Kelowna. Jayson has lived in Lake Country for 48 years, but has lived in Kelowna for only the last 2 months in order to care for a family member. He still plans on building a home on a lot he owns in LC, and I already mentioned his business interests on Hwy 97 / Berry Rd in an earlier post. I'm very pleased that Mr. McCarthy took the time to respond to our questions with detailed answers. After that discussion, I no longer have any concerns about our mayoral candidate currently residing in Kelowna.

Please try contacting your candidate(s) if you have any questions or concerns. It may help you further evaluate your choice before the election.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Shelku wrote:My spouse talked to Jayson McCarthy this morning and asked about his current address being in Kelowna. Jayson has lived in Lake Country for 48 years, but has lived in Kelowna for only the last 2 months in order to care for a family member. He still plans on building a home on a lot he owns in LC, and I already mentioned his business interests on Hwy 97 / Berry Rd in an earlier post. I'm very pleased that Mr. McCarthy took the time to respond to our questions with detailed answers. After that discussion, I no longer have any concerns about our mayoral candidate currently residing in Kelowna.

Please try contacting your candidate(s) if you have any questions or concerns. It may help you further evaluate your choice before the election.

Plans, LOL well that is just great cause we all have plans in life. Some work out, some do not but at the moment and for the foreseeable future this candidate is not a resident of LC and it is unknown if he even has a vote as a non resident.
If a candidate is in such a position then it is incumbent upon them to declare it publicly and up front and not to be spewing a tale after the public becomes aware that this candidate is not at this point in time a current resident.
And it does not matter how many years he lived in LC in the past.... his resident vote in this election is in Kelowna... and it could just as easily be in Toronto, Calgary or Prince George for that matter.... the pure evolution of life sees many people born and raised in small communities that move on in life, residing all over the world... being raised somewhere does not give a person a life long say, vote or right to hold office in the community. Also remember that the simple fact of having your name on a title of property in the community does not guarantee nor give a person the right to vote.
And the last word anyone should take is a third hand passing of a he spoke to so and so, and they said such and such, and I believe them because they told me so....
This is a public office with everyone screaming transparency and when there is any question the public needs to have answered or position in life that is a conflict then it would should have been stated up front...
For now this candidate and the other 2 have been publicly silent about this extremely important issue!

Choose your X as you wish but remember not to sell the farm to outsiders so quickly. Let them do as they say and build that residence and move back to the community and then try to run again....
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

hallgirl wrote:I have to agree that Mayor Baker is a really nice guy. I don't know anyone who disputes that. BUT I don't believe an academic background is the best for leading a team of councillors in managing a growing budget of $29+million. It is time for a mayor and some new councillors who understand the world of finance and business.

James Baker is 74 years old. That's a bit long in the tooth for someone to be making such important decisions considering how quickly the world is changing these days. Yes, he is a nice guy until he takes you to the Supreme Court for belonging to a volunteer organisation...and then all bets are off.

It's time for a change in Lake Country. A fresh outlook with a younger mayor who has the energy and business knowledge to make a difference for residents is overdue. A tired, old college professor just can't do this important job any longer, IMO. Lake Country is growing and changing, and hanging onto a tired status quo for 4 more years would be disastrous and very expensive for Lake Country residents.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Gone_Fishin wrote:

James Baker is 74 years old. That's a bit long in the tooth for someone to be making such important decisions considering how quickly the world is changing these days. Yes, he is a nice guy until he takes you to the Supreme Court for belonging to a volunteer organisation...and then all bets are off.

It's time for a change in Lake Country. A fresh outlook with a younger mayor who has the energy and business knowledge to make a difference for residents is overdue. A tired, old college professor just can't do this important job any longer, IMO. Lake Country is growing and changing, and hanging onto a tired status quo for 4 more years would be disastrous and very expensive for Lake Country residents.

I would much rather have 74 years of life experience and business acumen and many years of local government experience over inexperienced youth.... but if you are referring to this Mayor's opponent as being in the youth category then sorry but you have missed the mark as that boat sailed years ago for him as well.

Maybe change is needed but it definitely does not need a non resident land developer to be the new status quo... cause that in many many minds is seen as being disastrous and along with expensive for taxpayers it can also create irreversible consequences that will be there forever!

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”