Basran as mayor?

Temporary forum for civic elections
User avatar
wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 739
Joined: Jul 12th, 2007, 5:57 pm

Re: Basran...Mayor?!

Post by wanderer »

canucksfan17 wrote:"If we talk about it for a year or two and finally decide to scrap everything we have worked on (CD21) then perhaps it will make some people happy because their lake views won't be slightly impeded by a few skyscrapers.

Correct me if I'm wrong the CD21 came about under Sharon Shepherd and had input from many members in the community, after the previous plan created under Mayor Gray was scrapped. Since Gray has been back at city hall they have done everything, through variances and changes to the plan, to destroy what the community put together in CD21.
George+
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 10010
Joined: Oct 10th, 2011, 12:08 pm

Re: Basran...Mayor?!

Post by George+ »

You are right.
They did this with Basran's help.
Mtn Biker
Übergod
Posts: 1032
Joined: Apr 11th, 2008, 1:22 pm

Re: Basran...Mayor?!

Post by Mtn Biker »

Feedback from the streets of Kelowna is Basran's been making the rounds for months. Glad handing, flashing pearly's, and earning his councilor's wage by campaigning for the next go-round on our dime. Thus the early announcement. Perhaps he's of the opinion that if he tells a certain story, whether true or not, long enough, (I think there's an old adage to go with )... people will believe it. That could be an effective strategy in the end. Hopefully enough of those he talks to, see his smile is empty and his pledge is to those who paid for his 40ft head at 450 Bernard. It's a facade.
George+
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 10010
Joined: Oct 10th, 2011, 12:08 pm

Re: Basran...Mayor?!

Post by George+ »

Ahhh yes ...but many debates and forums are to come.

He does not seem competent at this.
User avatar
Partmanpartfish
Übergod
Posts: 1775
Joined: Apr 5th, 2014, 4:51 pm

Re: Basran ... Mayor?!

Post by Partmanpartfish »

The debates certainly should be interesting and I want front row seats.

I would suggest to Mr. Basran that he drag along his 40 ft. head for gravitas.
User avatar
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 11728
Joined: May 6th, 2009, 10:49 am

Re: Basran...Mayor?!

Post by Rwede »

Mtn Biker wrote:Feedback from the streets of Kelowna is Basran's been making the rounds for months. Glad handing, flashing pearly's, and earning his councilor's wage by campaigning for the next go-round on our dime. Thus the early announcement. Perhaps he's of the opinion that if he tells a certain story, whether true or not, long enough, (I think there's an old adage to go with )... people will believe it. That could be an effective strategy in the end. Hopefully enough of those he talks to, see his smile is empty and his pledge is to those who paid for his 40ft head at 450 Bernard. It's a facade.



Can you point to one single instance of Basran being paid for attending council time wherein he was instead "glad handing and flashing pearly's"? And I use that "pearly's" hesitantly, as quoting your obviously racist undertone just highlights your motivation.

Accusing someone of theft is quite a serious charge. I hope you have solid, documented proof of your accusations.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Mtn Biker
Übergod
Posts: 1032
Joined: Apr 11th, 2008, 1:22 pm

Re: Basran...Mayor?!

Post by Mtn Biker »

Rwede wrote:[


Can you point to one single instance of Basran being paid for attending council time wherein he was instead "glad handing and flashing pearly's"? And I use that "pearly's" hesitantly, as quoting your obviously racist undertone just highlights your motivation.

Accusing someone of theft is quite a serious charge. I hope you have solid, documented proof of your accusations.


A little late to the party old caustic one. Please don't put your opinions into my messages. Speak for yourself man. Insinuating racism is a cheap shot, low blow, dirty trick, but an expected comment and fitting with your style on these forums. The old distract them and confuse, slight of hand, campaign style. I am not concerned by you, my relationship with all discussed is well intact and my opinions voiced to the face of those you claim I denigrate. Keep your base unrelenting pointless attacks who's only merit is in your own mind coming, it's cheap entertainment. At the end of it all it won't matter because neither you nor I will be mayor.

TTHR
jamapple
Übergod
Posts: 1552
Joined: Oct 1st, 2008, 10:00 pm

Re: Basran ... Mayor?!

Post by jamapple »

I agree with you, Mntn Biker. he HAS been campaigning for a long time, and yes on our dime!. He started right after being the first to put his name in the hat. That's just the truth, so why get pissy about it.
okcitizen
Fledgling
Posts: 115
Joined: Jun 18th, 2014, 7:09 am

Re: Basran ... Mayor?!

Post by okcitizen »

I found it disheartening that on his Facebook page today he did not address the incident at the parliament buildings in Ottawa, nor did he send well wishes to the members of parliament and senators at the caucus meeting who were locked in a barricaded room throughout it (Kelowna's own Ron Cannan being one of these MPs), nor did he pay his respects to the soldier who was killed. For someone wanting to hold a place in politics, I found it shocking that he made no respectful acknowledgement to any of this or to our country as a whole today. Basran profoundly dropped the ball on this one big time.

https://www.facebook.com/colinbasran2014?fref=ts
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 11615
Joined: Sep 18th, 2009, 11:58 am

Re: Basran ... Mayor?!

Post by LANDM »

okcitizen wrote:I found it disheartening that on his Facebook page today he did not address the incident at the parliament buildings in Ottawa, nor did he send well wishes to the members of parliament and senators at the caucus meeting who were locked in a barricaded room throughout it (Kelowna's own Ron Cannan being one of these MPs), nor did he pay his respects to the soldier who was killed. For someone wanting to hold a place in politics, I found it shocking that he made no respectful acknowledgement to any of this or to our country as a whole today. Basran profoundly dropped the ball on this one big time.

https://www.facebook.com/colinbasran2014?fref=ts

OMG, seriously?
He is running for mayor, not federal politics. Stop the politically correct requirement for people to have to do the perfect thing all the time. If he did say something, it is virtually guaranteed that someone would post that he was merely using a tragedy to further his political aims.
Yes, this was a huge tragedy and horrible for all involved, including our nation as a whole. However, people don't always have to be so public with their feelings at all times and so worried about doing the "right thing" at every moment in time.
No wonder it is so difficult to get good people in politics.
You and 71 others Like this post
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2635
Joined: Nov 19th, 2010, 6:51 am

Re: Basran...Mayor?!

Post by Gilchy »

Partmanpartfish wrote:It's really rather sad to watch this, because rather than boasting about their candidate's qualifications and achievements, the Basranites are forced to spin tales about his opponent. They figure if they tell a lie often enough, it becomes true.

My guess is in a couple of months, we'll be back to saying, "Colin WHO?"


Pot, meet kettle. I'm undecided still, but thise thread is full of the same three or four people repeating the same "facts" about Colin, and then cry foul when anyone mentions Sharon.
John500
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2084
Joined: Jun 29th, 2007, 7:20 am

Re: Basran ... Mayor?!

Post by John500 »

Simple statement.
I like Sharon Shepherd better then Colin Basran.
User avatar
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm
Posts: 20786
Joined: Aug 2nd, 2005, 3:51 pm

Re: Basran ... Mayor?!

Post by Lady tehMa »

John500 wrote:Simple statement.
I like Sharon Shepherd better then Colin Basran.


Understandable.

I'm considering Basran as an option because I did not care for Ms. Sherpherd's performance as mayor previously.

Opinions do matter, as well as facts. We base our opinions on how we interpret facts. What is important to one person, will not rate highly with another, and there we will have schism.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Mtn Biker
Übergod
Posts: 1032
Joined: Apr 11th, 2008, 1:22 pm

Re: Basran ... Mayor?!

Post by Mtn Biker »

Lady tehMa wrote:Understandable.

I'm considering Basran as an option because I did not care for Ms. Sherpherd's performance as mayor previously.

Opinions do matter, as well as facts. We base our opinions on how we interpret facts. What is important to one person, will not rate highly with another, and there we will have schism.


I am of the opinion that Basran is over stating his qualificaitons. I take the position that each candidate is applying for a job and I am the HR manager. When I look at Basran's CV, posting 6 years of college and no diploma's or degrees says alot IMO. It says that he can't see something through and is always looking for the easy way. He claims politics are a dream come true. Can he share when this dream originated and what he did along the way to enhance it. Or did this dream just come up when he through his hat in the ring 3 years ago and then prompty dipped behind the banner of For Greed. That says a lot IMO.

Many years ago I was recruited by the biggest player in the copier world, Xerox. I met with the regional sales manager, who had a PEd degree . . . In the meeting the first thing the guy said was what are my plans for education. I said what does a BA have to do with selling copiers? His reply has always stuck - he explained that Xerox's position was, it shows that a person can set a goal and attain it. It's not what you learn, it's the process of target and completion.

Now we have a man, Basran, with minimal accomplishments or doings, early into his third career, stating that his young and fresh approach is better than someone with 5 times his experience. That says he is either naive or arogant IMO. Young and fresh are not accomplishments. My biggest fear with Basran is who are his backers and what has he promised them for his high priced and glitsy campaign, what are their ulterior motives? Like the Innovation Centre which he proudly supports. Well when it comes this venture, it serves a very small group of tech people and ignores a lot of other high-tech that happens in this town. Playing favorites but making it sound like it's for all. It's not.

Finally, the only one stating Shepherd didn't accomplish anything are blind to the facts or running against her. To me, three critical things happened during Shepherds time on council - 300 km of multi-use pathways, standing up to Wally and his clowns who wanted to dissolve the Simpson covenant, and standing firm on how dumb the whole CD21 plan was and who it served.

TTHR
okcitizen
Fledgling
Posts: 115
Joined: Jun 18th, 2014, 7:09 am

Re: Basran ... Mayor?!

Post by okcitizen »

It is called RESPECT. Dohhhhh. Even people not running for mayor paid their respects. I clearly doubt anyone would have seen him using a tragedy to further his political aims. However, his photo with the mayor of Calgary taken awhile back and posted yesterday could be taken that way! ;-) Showing respect is called being a mature, caring citizen, especially one who wants to govern a city in our country. How this is considered a politically correct act is beyond me? It boils down to being an aware person who looks outside himself to acknowledge and pay his respects to what is going on in the country he wants to run a city in. Maybe these things don't matter to you, but they very much matter to me. Being the mayor is not an act of playing dress-up. I found it disheartening is all. It shocked me actually.

Now if you look at Sharon's facebook from yesterday, she did take a moment to pay her respects. This does matter to me. I am not locked in the Kelowna mentality that only we matter. As mayor of our city, I want someone who is in support of his/her fellow citizens across our country. Not trapped in a little bubble focused on only what is happening here. We need a mayor who is AWARE and not self-obsessed. *removed*

LANDM wrote:OMG, seriously?
He is running for mayor, not federal politics. Stop the politically correct requirement for people to have to do the perfect thing all the time. If he did say something, it is virtually guaranteed that someone would post that he was merely using a tragedy to further his political aims.
Yes, this was a huge tragedy and horrible for all involved, including our nation as a whole. However, people don't always have to be so public with their feelings at all times and so worried about doing the "right thing" at every moment in time.
No wonder it is so difficult to get good people in politics.
Last edited by ferri on Oct 23rd, 2014, 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: facebook link

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”