Basran as mayor?

Temporary forum for civic elections
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
Posts: 49703
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 10:46 am

Re: Basran as mayor?

Post by Bsuds »

It's very interesting how those who didn't have the nerve to run for office can criticize someone who did before he even gets an opportunity to do the job. Why not give him some time in office before raking him over the coals.

At least he's not Rob Ford.
DILLIGAF
User avatar
Partmanpartfish
Übergod
Posts: 1775
Joined: Apr 5th, 2014, 4:51 pm

Re: Basran as mayor?

Post by Partmanpartfish »

The sad fact is the guy on Benvoulin Road who sells me cukes and tomatoes has more business experience than the mayor of Kelowna. Because the guy on Benvoulin Road actually HAS run a vegetable stand.

To elect someone with no experience doesn't make a lot of sense to me. And so far in this Basran thread, not one of his supporters have been able to explain why it makes sense, either.

All they've got is the Shepherd memes ForKelowna fed them.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 60303
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: Basran as mayor?

Post by The Green Barbarian »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Nov 22nd, 2014, 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: response to removed post
LET'S GO BRANDON!

Justin Trudeau is a blight on our once great country.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 60303
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: Basran as mayor?

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Partmanpartfish wrote:
To elect someone with no experience doesn't make a lot of sense to me. And so far in this Basran thread, not one of his supporters have been able to explain why it makes sense, either.

All they've got is the Shepherd memes ForKelowna fed them.


So why should people have voted for Shepherd? None of the Shepherd-ites seem to be able to articulate why, but just continue to barf up nonsensical excuses that just make you and her look bad.
LET'S GO BRANDON!

Justin Trudeau is a blight on our once great country.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 60303
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: Basran as mayor?

Post by The Green Barbarian »

George+ wrote:Experience.
Dignity.
Compassion.


Great. I note you didn't include "leadership" in your list, and that about says it all. Even her sheep don't see her as a leader.
LET'S GO BRANDON!

Justin Trudeau is a blight on our once great country.
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 915
Joined: Dec 7th, 2011, 1:20 pm

Re: Basran as mayor?

Post by nextimeround »

At least you didn't call them a bizarre name. I think I touched a nerve. Hey I was just trying to help save them time by suggesting some potential names they can call themselves next time they choose Kelowna's mayor and council.

What a monumental waste of breath trying to get any admission by this group that this election and the past were overwhelmingly swung in favour of the people these self appointed promoters of what's right for everyone else chose. That's because they don't want to believe that they or anyone else could possibly be manipulated.

I do indeed imagine a local election where the amount of money spent, whiteness of teeth or competence of third-party image makers isn't the deciding factor. Where bags of money spent on local media, thousands of mail-outs and Facebook ads doesn't become table stakes. In Kelowna at least it has become exactly that. It doesn't have to be but as long as we tolerate it or worse defend and support it the worse the problem will become.
Last edited by nextimeround on Nov 22nd, 2014, 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 915
Joined: Dec 7th, 2011, 1:20 pm

Re: Basran as mayor?

Post by nextimeround »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
So why should people have voted for Shepherd? None of the Shepherd-ites seem to be able to articulate why, but just continue to barf up nonsensical excuses that just make you and her look bad.


For me it doesn't matter. All the candidates have good reasons for and against. ALL of them. Unfortunately it was a stacked deck. Throw enough money and quality image makers in to the equation and anyone can get elected regardless of skills, qualifications or motives. I'm certain that you yourself can list many politicians that fit this bill.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 11576
Joined: Sep 18th, 2009, 11:58 am

Re: Basran as mayor?

Post by LANDM »

Partmanpartfish wrote:What the ForKelowna basically said was, "You plebeians are too lazy or stupid or both to know how to vote, so we'll make up your alleged minds for you."

And then they went on to spend large amounts of money to sell their empty box of soap and win against someone who spent almost no money.

It would nice to see someone push for an investigation of this group, just to make sure they dotted all the I's and crossed all of the T's and broke no election laws.


You do know that you could just say "ditto" and you wouldn't have to leave the dark little room for longer than you have to while typing out your little conspiratorial rants, don't you?

It would be easier for you and wouldn't matter to the rest of us.

You say the same things over and over and convince yourself it's true while the walls of the room get closer and the candle flickers ever darker.

And then, in four years you can get revved up again and inform the plebeians. Btw, you may not know this, but the plebeians were the common folks in Rome. I guess while you continually look down on everyone else's intelligence while sitting on the mount of the loser, you don't grasp your own insults. The plebeians didn't agree with you and they are, in fact the ones that make up the voting public. Maybe if you weren't so continually insulting to those around you, it may be easier to see an argument for your candidate.
However, the mock superiority that you cloak yourself in doesn't wear well.
You and 71 others Like this post
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 11576
Joined: Sep 18th, 2009, 11:58 am

Re: Basran as mayor?

Post by LANDM »

nextimeround wrote:At least you didn't call them a bizarre name. I think I touched a nerve. Hey I was just trying to help save them time by suggesting some potential names they can call themselves next time they choose Kelowna's mayor and council.

Perhaps you can then explain to everyone why FagGroper was a potential name that YOU suggested they can choose?

Or the other names?

It's not about touching nerves but, as always, about the fact that you, and some others on here, feel no sense of boundaries, self-filters, or common sense when you post. And then you actually *wonder* why others don't come around to your point of view.

The level of ignorance is staggering.
You and 71 others Like this post
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 915
Joined: Dec 7th, 2011, 1:20 pm

Re: Basran as mayor?

Post by nextimeround »

LANDM wrote:
You do know that you could just say "ditto" and you wouldn't have to leave the dark little room for longer than you have to while typing out your little conspiratorial rants, don't you?

It would be easier for you and wouldn't matter to the rest of us.

You say the same things over and over and convince yourself it's true while the walls of the room get closer and the candle flickers ever darker.

And then, in four years you can get revved up again and inform the plebeians. Btw, you may not know this, but the plebeians were the common folks in Rome. I guess while you continually look down on everyone else's intelligence while sitting on the mount of the loser, you don't grasp your own insults. The plebeians didn't agree with you and they are, in fact the ones that make up the voting public. Maybe if you weren't so continually insulting to those around you, it may be easier to see an argument for your candidate.
However, the mock superiority that you cloak yourself in doesn't wear well.


What are you a novelist? Walls of the room get closer... candle flickers? Really? How about this alternate reality - we're right about the election being swung and you know it, but you won't admit it because you like the outcome.
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 915
Joined: Dec 7th, 2011, 1:20 pm

Re: Basran as mayor?

Post by nextimeround »

LANDM wrote:Perhaps you can then explain to everyone why FagGroper was a potential name that YOU suggested they can choose?

Or the other names?

It's not about touching nerves but, as always, about the fact that you, and some others on here, feel no sense of boundaries, self-filters, or common sense when you post. And then you actually *wonder* why others don't come around to your point of view.

The level of ignorance is staggering.


It fits the naming convention, two words together as one and has about as much sincerity in it's meaning as FourChange or ForKelowna. ForThemselves, ForEgo, ForMoney might all be more accurate but I didn't want to be limiting. Now if any of these successful and self-sacrificing individuals want to let their name stand for public office, I assure you I will have a much higher level of respect.
User avatar
Partmanpartfish
Übergod
Posts: 1775
Joined: Apr 5th, 2014, 4:51 pm

Re: Basran as mayor?

Post by Partmanpartfish »

34 pages in a Basran thread and not one of them can scrape up anything positive to say about His(sic) qualifications.

Shepherd memes, attacks on other posters, but nothing positive to say about The Baz. Amazing.
User avatar
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3780
Joined: Feb 8th, 2013, 4:02 pm

Re: Basran as mayor?

Post by Anonymous123 »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-127399-1-.htm#127399

The City has received a developer proposal to accelerate the construction of South Perimeter Road from Gordon Drive to Stewart Road West approximately 10 years ahead of schedule,” says director of business ventures, John Vos.
We See
We Judge
We Get Muzzled
User avatar
Partmanpartfish
Übergod
Posts: 1775
Joined: Apr 5th, 2014, 4:51 pm

Re: Basran as mayor?

Post by Partmanpartfish »

I wonder who the developer's lawyer is?
User avatar
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3780
Joined: Feb 8th, 2013, 4:02 pm

Re: Basran as mayor?

Post by Anonymous123 »

I wonder why they want to "accelerate" the construction?
We See
We Judge
We Get Muzzled

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”