Former Criminal Runs For Mayor

Temporary forum for civic elections
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Former Criminal Runs For Mayor

Post by Treblehook »

That's comical. He says one of his goals is for Penticton City Council to be more transparent. He thinks that is important and asserts that he is [himself] a very open person. This in the same breath where he refuses to divulge any information about the criminal conviction for sexual assault! He wants to hold the top political office in the city, but doesn't want the citizens to know anything about his sexual assault conviction. As I say, comical.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Re: Former Criminal Runs For Mayor

Post by ferri »

“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I would say the headline should more accurately read that a convicted criminal runs for Mayor.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
livewire
Fledgling

Post by livewire »

Too bad there's no Benny Wolfe. Now that would be a race! Lol!
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

I can't understand how anyone with a criminal record could actually be elected. I would think that the city would at least do criminal background checks on every employee before hiring; elected or not.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

It looks like a criminal record doesn't prevent one from holding public office (remember Gordon Campbell?). Still it does say a lot for this candidate's understanding (or lack thereof) of the mentality of the voting public.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
humphriey

Post by humphriey »

Jukka Laurio refers to his rape of a young girl as an "Unfortunate Incident". He has absolutely no remorse for his actions and seems to think the people of Penticton will vote him in as mayor. Yes, he served his time in federal prison, but as far as I am concerned his debt to the young girl will never be paid. She has to live with a lifetime of pain and trust issues caused by this lunatic.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

It's really not a big deal, ignore him, don't vote for him and then it is a non issue.

Personally I don't think he should be allowed to run for public office of any kind.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Bsuds wrote:It's really not a big deal, ignore him, don't vote for him and then it is a non issue.

Personally I don't think he should be allowed to run for public office of any kind.

I agree. Nobody should vote him. Not likely that he will get enough votes to bother the other two candidates. I know that my employer would never ever hire anyone with any kind of a criminal record. It surprises me that the city would, or even accept his application.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

Absolutely! It is not like it was anyone's choices but his own that saw him saddled with a criminal record in the first place. The consequences ought to be exclusion from public office. Those consequences will certainly result in him not being able to travel to the USA, and they have no inhibition about enforcing that policy. Now, if this was Toronto, it would be an entirely different matter. In that city, there is a rumor that all future mayors will have to possess a criminal record, or be willing to acquire one,,
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

So does anyone want to discuss the validity of Castanet polls? This guy gets 9% of the vote for mayor. It would appear that Sir Winston was bang on in his assessment of the intelligence of the average voter
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

twobits wrote:So does anyone want to discuss the validity of Castanet polls? This guy gets 9% of the vote for mayor. It would appear that Sir Winston was bang on in his assessment of the intelligence of the average voter

Coincidentally, 9% of Pentictonites are head banging druggies.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
FSmith59
Banned

Post by FSmith59 »

pentona wrote:I know that my employer would never ever hire anyone with any kind of a criminal record. It surprises me that the city would, or even accept his application.

Now this is such a joke of a reply.

I really don't think you speak for your employer.

So I had a driving conviction for having an invalid license, 32 years ago, and because of that I have a criminal record. Are you sure that means your boss would never hire me?

And having that minor, yet criminal conviction, 32 years later, would that automatically disqualify me for running for public office?

Have your boss contact me by PM, to confirm your post, on his/her behalf.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

FSmith59 wrote:
Now this is such a joke of a reply.

I really don't think you speak for your employer.

So I had a driving conviction for having an invalid license, 32 years ago, and because of that I have a criminal record. Are you sure that means your boss would never hire me?

And having that minor, yet criminal conviction, 32 years later, would that automatically disqualify me for running for public office?

Have your boss contact me by PM, to confirm your post, on his/her behalf.

I asked my boss just now about hiring someone with your charges. She said that she would not discriminate against taking your application for employment with the charge. However if it was anything of a violent, sexual or drug nature, you wouldn't be accepted. Makes sense. I find it surprising that an invalid license would be a criminal charge. Does this prevent you from entering the United States?
livewire
Fledgling

Post by livewire »

" Does this prevent you from entering the United States?[/quote]

What does your curiosity about whether or not he can go to the US have to do with this thread?

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”