Why Re-elect Doug Findlater?

Temporary forum for civic elections
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 915
Joined: Dec 7th, 2011, 1:20 pm

Re: Why Re-elect Doug Findlater?

Post by nextimeround »

inquisitive wrote:So, it boils down to a vote for Findlater is a vote FOR a city hall, too?
But, what if we voted someone else into the mayor's chair? Would that mean the new incumbent would influence council to put it on hold? Which is what should be done, of course,but we have no way of knowing.
Mary Mandarino reminded us that the people's choice for a civic centre CHIP was very low on their list of priorities, and it is apparent that a considerable segment of the voting (and thinking) public still shares that opinion. Now, as it stands, the Findlater Memorial Hall is an example of democracy at work within DWK.
It might be important to all living in DWK to give Mary another thought before we vote, not only for her stance on the CHIP but also in consideration of her experience in service to the public in our neighbourhood?
It would be such a relief in the minds of many to see "the monument" CHIP become Findlater's Achilles Heel and lose him the opportunity to qualify for the Ten Year Gold Watch that he covets. ( He also covets the transition for DKW to become a city). It appears that these objectives are the only significant foresights he has publicly aired?
And of course of late, via this thread, we now hear of a major change to Boucherie Road access/egress that has been kept secret from us. Do the people still have an opportunity via A TOWN HALL MEETING to get his answer that might dispel the rumour?


First of all you put a lot of value in the mayor making or breaking any one idea. The OCP contains the basic blueprints for how the District plans to grow and any incoming mayor or councilors would do well to action some of the things in the plan and/or correct any things that need to be revisited. There are many in West Kelowna, myself included, that see huge value in revitalizing the Westbank Town Centre.

We need leaders with broad vision and the ability to take action. I don't know if Doug is that guy but I know that Mary is not. I also feel that Johnston is simply in over his head. Get some experience, learn what's "really going on" THEN put your name forward.
Westbank4ever
Posts: 18
Joined: Oct 22nd, 2011, 9:00 am

Re: Why Re-elect Doug Findlater?

Post by Westbank4ever »

inquisitive wrote:So, it boils down to a vote for Findlater is a vote FOR a city hall, too?
But, what if we voted someone else into the mayor's chair? Would that mean the new incumbent would influence council to put it on hold? Which is what should be done, of course,but we have no way of knowing.
Mary Mandarino reminded us that the people's choice for a civic centre CHIP was very low on their list of priorities, and it is apparent that a considerable segment of the voting (and thinking) public still shares that opinion. Now, as it stands, the Findlater Memorial Hall is an example of democracy at work within DWK.
It might be important to all living in DWK to give Mary another thought before we vote, not only for her stance on the CHIP but also in consideration of her experience in service to the public in our neighbourhood?
It would be such a relief in the minds of many to see "the monument" CHIP become Findlater's Achilles Heel and lose him the opportunity to qualify for the Ten Year Gold Watch that he covets. ( He also covets the transition for DKW to become a city). It appears that these objectives are the only significant foresights he has publicly aired?
And of course of late, via this thread, we now hear of a major change to Boucherie Road access/egress that has been kept secret from us. Do the people still have an opportunity via A TOWN HALL MEETING to get his answer that might dispel the rumour?


A town hall meeting - allow the people to have a stage to talk from? ...You have to be joking!
People might not agree with him.
Anyway You cannot have a town hall meeting until he builds his town hall, downtown in Westbank.

Doug Findlater has David Knowles in his corner!
Davids campaign Card arrived and is full of "The mammoth step forward with the completion of the Civic Centre on Elliott"
Obviously in Davids mind the almighty Doug is right and we should all think that this is the best idea since sliced bread.
waterwings
Übergod
Posts: 1069
Joined: Jun 12th, 2009, 11:22 am

Re: Why Re-elect Doug Findlater?

Post by waterwings »

Community Charter
[SBC 2003] CHAPTER 26
Part 5 — Municipal Government and Procedures

Division 1 — Council Roles and Responsibilities

Westbank4ever you should look up and read the above noted Community Charter before posting any more on how you think government works. Mayors pretty much take all the flack that a Council as a whole votes on. Sorry to bust your bubble!
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2227
Joined: Aug 31st, 2008, 6:11 am

Re: Why Re-elect Doug Findlater?

Post by Randall T »

True, and I believe with respect to the new Civic Centre it had unanimous council support to proceed to the next step. Not sure how it became a Findlater monument, but I suppose it's convenient to put that label on it for those who despise him and want him out.
I birn quil I se
playhard2010
Posts: 63
Joined: May 24th, 2010, 2:06 pm

Re: Why Re-elect Doug Findlater?

Post by playhard2010 »

Its time for a serious and positive change in West Kelowna and voting for our current mayor is definitely NOT the right choice. **Mayoral Forum at Westside alliance church tonight @ 7pm**. To each their own, but as I have posted in the past, he is a grumpy, non team work kind of guy that is always negative and has struggles with "his" council and staff regularly. (listen to board meetings online if you don't believe me) He isn't the face we need representing OUR beautiful town for the future. We need a new fresh face to represent us. Someone who is family/business oriented and is looking at taking on this role to really make some positive changes to our community and to make this place somewhere for our families to enjoy and thrive in for many years to come. Its getting tiring listening to the few on here who state they are not interested in seeing someone who hasn't sat on a council running for mayor. It isn't all about the mayor when it comes to decisions, it comes from a team of elected men and women who make the decisions, but I for one when looking at the long term benefits of having someone like Steven Johnston at the head of the table, can honestly say that I know, the council, staff and people of this town and the Central Okanagan will be much happier dealing with a man like Steven Johnston over Mr.Findlater. I can also say that I have spoken to Steven and Doug on separate occasions in the past few months and it is like night and day when speaking with either of them. Steven had nothing but an amazing and positive outlook for the future of our community, Doug had nothing to say about much of it, he was actually quite non talkative and I ONLY took up about 30 seconds of his time (short and sweet) and possibly because I am under the age of 40 he really didn't entertain any sort of conversation. (that was my feeling atleast) My point is this, on one hand you can vote for a positive man (Steven Johnston) who is full of energy and one who has great ideas and a solid vision for the future of this town and also is a TEAM PLAYER, or a mostly negative, don't share the toys in the sandbox man, who nobody wants to work with or for. This alone should give some insight on why Mr.findlater needs to be retired, but this is solely up to us the community. Hope to see everyone at the polls :)
waterwings
Übergod
Posts: 1069
Joined: Jun 12th, 2009, 11:22 am

Re: Why Re-elect Doug Findlater?

Post by waterwings »

However, energy does not any in way count for experience and it takes experience and he could gain that by sitting in when the mayor wasn't available. No better way to learn. I don't want my tax dollars wasted while he has to learn from council, staff and the administrator. Not fair to any of those whom we pay to train a mayor when he could learn on his own and do good at the same time. He should be running for council instead of carrying an agenda and he does have one doesn't he?
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2744
Joined: Sep 6th, 2006, 11:07 pm

Re: Why Re-elect Doug Findlater?

Post by occasional thoughts »

I'd love to vote for a "positive" man or woman, BUT I need a lot more information about who I vote for and Mr. Johnston has not proactively provided the information (discussed earlier on this and other threads) that I want. Who does he know, what are his political connections, who on council is working with him, what are his values in action (not platitudes). I understand he's a developer; how would he have handled/voted the developer-fraud case on Lakeview Cove Road a couple of years ago? How would he vote on ALR exclusions? Would he advocate a referendum on the so-called "city hall"? I don't even mind there being our city hall in Westbank, but I want a referendum in support of it if it is to go ahead. I know from past conversations with Mr. Findlater that he disdains these internet forums, but it is clear that Mr. Johnston has all sorts of yes-men busy on them, demanding that we all vote for the proverbial "pig in the poke". Nope. Not with the info I have so far, and with the election being Saturday, I assume that Mr. Johnston will be continuing to withhold the info I look for. But not to worry: I'm only one vote.
inquisitive
Fledgling
Posts: 341
Joined: Nov 8th, 2007, 5:01 pm

Re: Why Re-elect Doug Findlater?

Post by inquisitive »

occasional thoughts wrote:I'd love to vote for a "positive" man or woman, BUT I need a lot more information about who I vote for and Mr. Johnston has not proactively provided the information (discussed earlier on this and other threads) that I want. Who does he know, what are his political connections, who on council is working with him, what are his values in action (not platitudes).FINDLATER is THE KING OF PLATITUDES I understand he's a developer; YES, AND AS SUCH HE HAS HAD TO RISK HIS CORPORATE MONEY AND REPUTATION IN THE PROSECUTION OF HIS BUSINESS - THAT TAKES MOXIE AND CERTITUDE - HE LIVES OR DIES BY HIS ACCUMEN, OR LACK THERE-OFF. FINDLATER WAS ALWAYS A COMMITTEE MAN, SPENDING OR COMMITTING OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY, NEVER HIS OWN. how would he have handled/voted the developer-fraud case on Lakeview Cove Road a couple of years ago?ANCIENT HISTORY - NOT RELEVANT TO TODAY'S ELECTION CAMPAIGN How would he vote on ALR exclusions? HOW WOULD YOU VOTE? Would he advocate a referendum on the so-called "city hall"? SAD TO SAY, HE WILL NEVER GET THE CHANCE! I don't even mind there being our city hall in Westbank, but I want a referendum in support of it if it is to go ahead. SO WOULD I, BUT SAD TO SAY WE WON'T GET THAT OPPORTUNITYIknow from past conversations with Mr. Findlater that he disdains these internet forums, YOU HAVE TO READ THEM TO DISDAIN THEM! but it is clear that Mr. Johnston has all sorts of yes-men busy on them, demanding that we all vote for the proverbial "pig in the poke". Nope. Not with the info I have so far, and with the election being Saturday, I assume that Mr. Johnston will be continuing to withhold the info I look for. But not to worry: I'm only one vote.
SO, WITH YOU, IT'S MARY OR DOUG?
Ho Hum - four more years of the same old same old. Too bad, the younger generation cannot be interested in THEIR FUTURE and the inf on councilluence they could otherwise have.
beancounter
Board Meister
Posts: 389
Joined: Sep 8th, 2006, 10:13 pm

Re: Why Re-elect Doug Findlater?

Post by beancounter »

Although I admire his stated platform, I have never heard of Stephen Johnston before this election. I would be reluctant to hand the reins over to someone who will undoubtedly need to learn the ropes on likely a good deal of issues and policies at hand. There have been comparisons made to the corporate world in support of his new ideas and young perspective on things, but even the best of the up and coming rookies have to put in their time learning before they take over or make their mark. I'll bet his father didn't make him president of the family company on his first day on the job.
It's unfortunate that he didn't choose to run for a seat on council, as his enthusiasm and youthful viewpoint would be a real asset, and he would have had my vote. (Perhaps here his enthusiasm got ahead of him). We do need more input from the generation that will inherit the assets..and liabilities we are currently building in DWK, but the Mayor's position is meant to be one of giving guidance, not of needing it.
If Mr. Johnston does not succeed in his race for the Mayor's chair this term, hopefully it will not put him off his quest for public leadership. I've heard many mention they wish they could vote for him as councilor. To prove his value and intentions, he could use the next four years learning - and contributing - as much as he can and then try again for a council seat next time.

I have heard of Mary Mandarino before, but I'm afraid I she will not be getting my vote. While I haven't agreed with every decision, I will be going with Mr. Findlater who, in my opinion, has done an admirable job. I'm hoping though, that Mr. Johnston makes enough inroads on this election that Mr. Findlater takes note. DWK will not thrive without opportunities and initiatives for young families.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2744
Joined: Sep 6th, 2006, 11:07 pm

Re: Why Re-elect Doug Findlater?

Post by occasional thoughts »

INQUISITIVE has done a very sneaky job of commenting on my last post by embedding his comments within the body of mine, some in a different colour, some not! Shame, Inquisitive, whoever you are. At any rate, you are out to lunch by calling the developer-fraud issue old news. These situations arise; what would a person do in the circumstance. Also I give not a whit for the fact that Mr. Johnston risks non-public money on his efforts. Most developers are looking for angles, weaknesses in public policy, corrupt inspectors, opportunities to forge the signature of neighbours on papers, oh, you name it, to ensure their investments have a good return. Your whole diatribe embedded within my post indicate you don't get it about ethics and transparency and a few other important things about why people are livid about government and public office holders. I am going to vote on Saturday, but I am not going to vote for a full complement, only the odd one, and then in some cases with nose held tight.
User avatar
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3770
Joined: Feb 8th, 2013, 4:02 pm

Re: Why Re-elect Doug Findlater?

Post by Anonymous123 »

occasional thoughts wrote:INQUISITIVE has done a very sneaky job of commenting on my last post by embedding his comments within the body of mine, some in a different colour, some not! Shame, Inquisitive, whoever you are. At any rate, you are out to lunch by calling the developer-fraud issue old news. These situations arise; what would a person do in the circumstance. Also I give not a whit for the fact that Mr. Johnston risks non-public money on his efforts. Most developers are looking for angles, weaknesses in public policy, corrupt inspectors, opportunities to forge the signature of neighbours on papers, oh, you name it, to ensure their investments have a good return. Your whole diatribe embedded within my post indicate you don't get it about ethics and transparency and a few other important things about why people are livid about government and public office holders. I am going to vote on Saturday, but I am not going to vote for a full complement, only the odd one, and then in some cases with nose held tight.


Yeah, and why is he (Inquisitive) yelling?
We See
We Judge
We Get Muzzled
playhard2010
Posts: 63
Joined: May 24th, 2010, 2:06 pm

Re: Why Re-elect Doug Findlater?

Post by playhard2010 »

Well well well..... quick summary here... Tonight's forum in West Kelowna... It was very good, there were great council and Mayoral candidates there.. There were 2 great candidates for School trustee.. 6 candidates for council.. Aaaaaaand wait for it!!! 2 NEW candidates for Mayor. Out of our current council there was only 1 person who showed up!! B.W good on you for that, and for that reason alone I hope that you are the only current elected official who gets an opportunity to make it back on council. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!?! No currently elected candidate came to speak to the public you are supposed to be representing and technically working for?? WOW, I really hope you get some votes, because the consensus in the room tonight was not in any of your favor. There was great outlook and desires from all of the candidates to make a change and it seems that everyone that was in the room is geared towards CHANGE! I look forward to seeing these new faces representing our town :) Kudos to all of you who showed up to speak tonight!!!
playhard2010
Posts: 63
Joined: May 24th, 2010, 2:06 pm

Re: Why Re-elect Doug Findlater?

Post by playhard2010 »

occasional thoughts wrote:I'd love to vote for a "positive" man or woman, BUT I need a lot more information about who I vote for and Mr. Johnston has not proactively provided the information (discussed earlier on this and other threads) that I want. Who does he know, what are his political connections, who on council is working with him, what are his values in action (not platitudes). I understand he's a developer; how would he have handled/voted the developer-fraud case on Lakeview Cove Road a couple of years ago? How would he vote on ALR exclusions? Would he advocate a referendum on the so-called "city hall"? I don't even mind there being our city hall in Westbank, but I want a referendum in support of it if it is to go ahead. I know from past conversations with Mr. Findlater that he disdains these internet forums, but it is clear that Mr. Johnston has all sorts of yes-men busy on them, demanding that we all vote for the proverbial "pig in the poke". Nope. Not with the info I have so far, and with the election being Saturday, I assume that Mr. Johnston will be continuing to withhold the info I look for. But not to worry: I'm only one vote.


Just for the record, I am on here on my own free will, just giving insight on what I believe in and since the election process has started who I am voting for due to educated decisions that I have made. Also a quick question for you.. Why don't you go to one of the actual public forums and ask the questions you have to the candidates and you could get an answer instead of saying on an internet forum that you aren't getting answers to your questions. I can say as for the mayoral race, you would only get an answer from Ms.Mandarino or Mr.Johnston as the current elected mayor didn't even show up tonight, along with the rest of his council (yes B.WINSBY) did show up and Kudos to him. I am not getting in any sort of argument here, just stating the facts. I will vote for the people that have the decency to at least show up and talk with the citizens face to face and answer their questions:) Have a great evening and don't forget to vote !
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2227
Joined: Aug 31st, 2008, 6:11 am

Re: Why Re-elect Doug Findlater?

Post by Randall T »

playhard2010 wrote:Just for the record, I am on here on my own free will, just giving insight on what I believe in and since the election process has started who I am voting for due to educated decisions that I have made. Also a quick question for you.. Why don't you go to one of the actual public forums and ask the questions you have to the candidates and you could get an answer instead of saying on an internet forum that you aren't getting answers to your questions. I can say as for the mayoral race, you would only get an answer from Ms.Mandarino or Mr.Johnston as the current elected mayor didn't even show up tonight, along with the rest of his council (yes B.WINSBY) did show up and Kudos to him. I am not getting in any sort of argument here, just stating the facts. I will vote for the people that have the decency to at least show up and talk with the citizens face to face and answer their questions:) Have a great evening and don't forget to vote !


Who was hosting the forum? Was it properly moderated or was it a free-for-all of angry people on a witch hunt? I wasn't even aware of the forum, so who was sending out the memos? I think there must have been a reason for all but one of the currently elected to not attend. Anyway, it's undoubtedly a rather hectic time for them right now and priorities would take precedence. The fact they never attended really means nothing without all the details, and then it still may mean nothing. There have already been enough forums, lets get on with the election.
I birn quil I se
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2744
Joined: Sep 6th, 2006, 11:07 pm

Re: Why Re-elect Doug Findlater?

Post by occasional thoughts »

So, playhard2010, I was not aware that it had come down to this, that I have to pick myself up and go out to a public forum to be considered a good citizen and be allowed to think and ask things about candidates for public office before it counted. I didn't realize that I couldn't wonder and ponder out loud here on an internet forum and be considered legitimate. I spent enough years as a reporter and attending and "covering" such meetings to feel for myself that they are theatre at best, and no meaningful dialogue can or will occur. They are "beauty contest" in nature, allowing photogenic (they hope) candidates to wow the rubes and make us forget that we don't know anything or much meaningful about the candidates. Sorry; I guess I'll just crawl back into my hole and shut up.

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”