ForKelowna

Temporary forum for civic elections
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 61699
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: ForKelowna

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Partmanpartfish wrote:It would appear to me that it is right-wingers who hate the successful business people, in this case Shepherd, and love the fellow who really hasn't been very successful or accomplished very much.


Well I don't consider myself a "right-winger" per say, but compared to some of the nuts and loons on here that would welcome Castro and Kim Jong Un as our leaders I guess that I am. I have nothing against Shepherd other than she takes way too long to make decisions. I see as much in Basran as I do in Justin Trudeau, and that ain't much, so you know where I am on that guy.

Right-wingers. They're just full of contradictions.


And you are full of something else, and it's pretty smelly. It seems that for some reason you've let your hatred of anyone right of Jian Ghomesi to cloud your judgment. You paint a pretty black and white picture of people when that just isn't the case.
Epistemic insouciance is a casual lack of concern about the facts or an indifference to whether one's statements have any basis in reality. From now on the Liberal Party of Canada will be known as the "Epistemic Insouciance Party of Canada".
User avatar
Partmanpartfish
Übergod
Posts: 1775
Joined: Apr 5th, 2014, 4:51 pm

Re: ForKelowna

Post by Partmanpartfish »

I hold no hatred for right-wingers. I'm just suggesting that they tend to not think for themselves, and do what they're told.

And a perfect example of this is the attempts to insert a candidate with a thin resume into a job he is possibly not qualified for.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 61699
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: ForKelowna

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Partmanpartfish wrote:I hold no hatred for right-wingers.


Image
Epistemic insouciance is a casual lack of concern about the facts or an indifference to whether one's statements have any basis in reality. From now on the Liberal Party of Canada will be known as the "Epistemic Insouciance Party of Canada".
User avatar
Tacklewasher
Übergod
Posts: 1374
Joined: Jul 9th, 2008, 6:45 am

Re: ForKelowna

Post by Tacklewasher »

Partmanpartfish wrote:It would appear to me that it is right-wingers who hate the successful business people, in this case Shepherd, and love the fellow who really hasn't been very successful or accomplished very much.



What has Sharon accomplished beside being Mayor for a bit? What was her background before that?
Right-wingers. They're just full of contradictions.

Not helpful at all.

Personally, I have nothing against any business person. It's attempts to buy elections that bothers me.


So, 6 guys who run succesful businesses through there support behind a variety of people. And do so publically. And now that is buying an election? So far what they have done is transparent and seems above board.
User avatar
Partmanpartfish
Übergod
Posts: 1775
Joined: Apr 5th, 2014, 4:51 pm

Re: ForKelowna

Post by Partmanpartfish »

Tacklewasher wrote:
So, 6 guys who run succesful businesses through there support behind a variety of people. And do so publically. And now that is buying an election? So far what they have done is transparent and seems above board.


Well, ya know, SOMEONE* is paying for the fancy digs and props at 450.



*Does not refer to any specific persons or group.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 61699
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: ForKelowna

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Partmanpartfish wrote:
Well, ya know, SOMEONE* is paying for the fancy digs and props at 450.


yeah because all you need to do to win an election is have an office on Bernard. Electioneering 101.
Epistemic insouciance is a casual lack of concern about the facts or an indifference to whether one's statements have any basis in reality. From now on the Liberal Party of Canada will be known as the "Epistemic Insouciance Party of Canada".
User avatar
Tacklewasher
Übergod
Posts: 1374
Joined: Jul 9th, 2008, 6:45 am

Re: ForKelowna

Post by Tacklewasher »

Partmanpartfish wrote:Well, ya know, SOMEONE* is paying for the fancy digs and props at 450.



*Does not refer to any specific persons or group.


I'm having trouble seeing what your problem is? This isn't like some US SuperPac. This is business people acting pretty clearly out in the open.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3792
Joined: Oct 27th, 2008, 10:37 am

Re: ForKelowna

Post by bob vernon »

Okanagan elections have always been about land issues. Zoning, water, sewage and so on. Individuals often run with altruistic motives, but any group slate usually has an agenda to monkey with zoning, annexations, roads, or extending sewer and water into a certain area. It's about money and using city hall to make somebody's land worth more. It's always been this way. A slate will always tell you that they have your best interests at heart, but really it's control of the levers that make land worth more. We've had it in Vernon, just like you're getting it now in Kelowna.
User avatar
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 11728
Joined: May 6th, 2009, 10:49 am

Re: ForKelowna

Post by Rwede »

Is it bad when land values rise and people who hold properties see an increase in value?

Do you prefer to see land values fall so that people end up selling their land for less than their mortgage balances?

I never understand why some people love to languish in the doldrums.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Mtn Biker
Übergod
Posts: 1004
Joined: Apr 11th, 2008, 1:22 pm

Re: ForKelowna

Post by Mtn Biker »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
Well I don't consider myself a "right-winger" per say, but compared to some of the nuts and loons on here that would welcome Castro and Kim Jong Un as our leaders I guess that I am. I have nothing against Shepherd other than she takes way too long to make decisions. I see as much in Basran as I do in Justin Trudeau, and that ain't much, so you know where I am on that guy.


May I suggest you check out CHBC's news footage from Shepherds election announcement. Hayes asked her about that, and she clearly stated committees didn't work. Being an inclusive leader means listening. So when she heard plenty of concern about inclusion of citizens in important processes and city decision, going back a decade ago ( I will repeat - that 10 years ago) she included them. In the end it showed not to be effective and she learned and moved on. Why still bring it up?

Here's a link: if I am not allowed to post please remove. See the 00:55 mark.

http://globalnews.ca/video/1608088/shep ... ayor-again

My take on Shepherd, she's got a head above her shoulders and is capable and willing to use it. That's been proven. Where as young Basran has a head someplace up, up where we can't see his motives, carefully guarded motives spun to sound like promise, when it's just dance music. One person is very genuine, authentic, real, name is Shepherd. Mr Basran I contend is a poser, follower, take the easy road, hand-out (not up) type person and for him it's all about ego and glory, not people and progress. You can tell by the glory campaign and Hollywood style of everything Basran about this town. It's so sweet it's nauseating. Just saying my world revolves around logical thought processes and action. It's just not logical to think Basran comes even close to Shepherd for all purposes listed on the mayor's job list. But he looks good on TV.
Mtn Biker
Übergod
Posts: 1004
Joined: Apr 11th, 2008, 1:22 pm

Re: ForKelowna

Post by Mtn Biker »

Rwede wrote:Is it bad when land values rise and people who hold properties see an increase in value?

Do you prefer to see land values fall so that people end up selling their land for less than their mortgage balances?

I never understand why some people love to languish in the doldrums.



I get there is much you don't understand but no one is saying what you claim we are. What is being said is that what is being proposed for downtown Kelowna will only fit the needs and resources of the top 2% of people who actually live "full time" and/or "work full time" in downtown Kelowna. Would you work for $11 hour, only to give back $2 so you can park a car within a few blocks? Maybe start by making it affordable to work downtown, let alone live. I never understand why people chose to take shots instead of offering commentary. I mean I know, just not allowed to say.
User avatar
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 11728
Joined: May 6th, 2009, 10:49 am

Re: ForKelowna

Post by Rwede »

Downtown is 95% small businesses. If those are "the top 2%" who will benefit from revitalization that major developments will bring, then the rest of the city must live at the Gospel Mission.

Some losers are sure bitter at those who have worked hard to open a small business and offer employment to citizens of Kelowna. I don't know why, but maybe that's a good thing.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 61699
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: ForKelowna

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Mtn Biker wrote: In the end it showed not to be effective and she learned and moved on. Why still bring it up?

.


Why still bring it up? Because until I see otherwise, it will still be a concern of mine. That's why.
Epistemic insouciance is a casual lack of concern about the facts or an indifference to whether one's statements have any basis in reality. From now on the Liberal Party of Canada will be known as the "Epistemic Insouciance Party of Canada".
User avatar
Tacklewasher
Übergod
Posts: 1374
Joined: Jul 9th, 2008, 6:45 am

Re: ForKelowna

Post by Tacklewasher »

The Green Barbarian wrote:Why still bring it up? Because until I see otherwise, it will still be a concern of mine. That's why.


No kidding. I would need to see evidence she actually learned something. All I see is a short speech made to placate people.
Mtn Biker
Übergod
Posts: 1004
Joined: Apr 11th, 2008, 1:22 pm

Re: ForKelowna

Post by Mtn Biker »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
Why still bring it up? Because until I see otherwise, it will still be a concern of mine. That's why.



Fair enough. My point is all good leaders still need to learn. Stating as such is a good starting point and given the integrity Shepherd has shown the course of her political life, I'll take her at her word. What has Basran said you need to see otherwise, or are concerned about?

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”