ForKelowna

Temporary forum for civic elections
User avatar
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 11728
Joined: May 6th, 2009, 10:49 am

Re: ForKelowna

Post by Rwede »

kompili wrote:Do we need some business men telling us how to vote. Are we that far gone that we can't think for our self's.


There was a union boss handing out pamphlets for Scarrow in Winfield last night. I assume you'd apply your same stringent filtering process and not vote for Scarrow?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
jswiftkelowna
Newbie
Posts: 27
Joined: Feb 7th, 2014, 11:25 am

Re: ForKelowna

Post by jswiftkelowna »

While I have my doubts about any group trying to put through a slate, this seems like a good balance of people that would probably do a very good job of being balanced decision makers.

If I were to balance this group off, I would consider adding Mohini Singh, Gail Given, Luke Stack, Maxine DeHart, and Colin Basran. Good, progressive group with a balance of experience and fresh outlook.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 11598
Joined: Sep 18th, 2009, 11:58 am

Re: ForKelowna

Post by LANDM »

Partmanpartfish wrote:[quote="LANDM"
But dismissing a candidate simply because someone else supports them makes sense? Or because of their last name?

Wow. Some people's kids.[/quote

Not supporting someone because they are backed by a group one strongly disagrees with makes a lot of sense. It's called sending a message.

Hmmmmm.....I don't see how you think that through but that's fine. If you wish to not support someone because someone else does, that is your right. I assume you will pick the least popular candidates simply because fewer people support them.

I'm curious why you would disagree with a small group of diverse citizens who have seemingly impeccable and business, personal, and community backgrounds?

I know the rhetoric about old rich white guys that I have already read on here but hopefully you are smart enough to realize this isn't an accurate description in the least.
You and 71 others Like this post
User avatar
Partmanpartfish
Übergod
Posts: 1775
Joined: Apr 5th, 2014, 4:51 pm

Re: ForKelowna

Post by Partmanpartfish »

LANDM wrote:x

I'm curious why you would disagree with a small group of diverse citizens who have seemingly impeccable and business, personal, and community backgrounds?



A better question might be: why are some folks kowtowing to a group attempting to buy the mayor's chair for a young, inexperienced lad who has bounced from career to career, with no real history of hard work, no real history of achievements, no real history of education, who requires a script to debate and even then flops? This doesn't set off any alarms?

Far-right conservatives over the last decade have been trained to do what their TV hosts and leaders order them to do. Some of us who are more moderate don't really need talking heads or the developers' lawyer to tell us how to vote.
User avatar
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 11728
Joined: May 6th, 2009, 10:49 am

Re: ForKelowna

Post by Rwede »

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Nov 4th, 2014, 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic comments removed.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
User avatar
Partmanpartfish
Übergod
Posts: 1775
Joined: Apr 5th, 2014, 4:51 pm

Re: ForKelowna

Post by Partmanpartfish »

LANDM wrote:
I know the rhetoric about old rich white guys that I have already read on here but hopefully you are smart enough to realize this isn't an accurate description in the least.


My problem is, why do right-wingers need *anyone* to tell them how to vote? Pick an alderman, for God's sake. It's not hard.

It's time for "conservatives" to put the man pants on.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 69857
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: ForKelowna

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Partmanpartfish wrote:
My problem is, why do right-wingers need *anyone* to tell them how to vote?


no one is telling anyone how to vote here. The implication that anyone who votes for the people that this group is endorsing do not have the ability to think for themselves is just asinine.
Justin Trudeau- racist, elitist, liar. What a sick piece of garbage.

#Trudeaumustgonow
User avatar
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm
Posts: 20417
Joined: Aug 2nd, 2005, 3:51 pm

Re: ForKelowna

Post by Lady tehMa »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
no one is telling anyone how to vote here. The implication that anyone who votes for the people that this group is endorsing do not have the ability to think for themselves is just asinine.


True.

However I find that certain members of this forum by endorsing candidates have effectively suggested to me whom not to vote for.

Just as others on this forum for whom I have I respect, have caused me to take a second look at candidates.
I haven't failed until I quit.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 11598
Joined: Sep 18th, 2009, 11:58 am

Re: ForKelowna

Post by LANDM »

Partmanpartfish wrote:[quote="LANDM"

I know the rhetoric about old rich white guys that I have already read on here but hopefully you are smart enough to realize this isn't an accurate description in the least.[/quote

My problem is, why do right-wingers need *anyone* to tell them how to vote? Pick an alderman, for God's sake. It's not hard.

It's time for "conservatives" to put the man pants on.

And why would anyone want to hear from someone who won't vote for a candidate simply because someone else supports them?

I don't see why you get your man-pants in a knot about someone supporting a candidate or multiple candidates.....it doesn't matter if someone is right or left wing.....it happens all the time. Are you not able to summon your ability to provide a discriminating look at the candidates whether someone else supports them or not?

Picking a councillor...or alderman, if you prefer that term.....is however hard anyone wants to make it be. But I suppose it isn't hard for you if you exclude people because of name or if an unassociated person or group supports them.

Gosh, you must have a real time with provincial or federal politics. I hear groups trumpet their support all the time for different candidates. It must just drive you off the deep end!
You and 71 others Like this post
User avatar
Partmanpartfish
Übergod
Posts: 1775
Joined: Apr 5th, 2014, 4:51 pm

Re: ForKelowna

Post by Partmanpartfish »

LANDM wrote:And why would anyone want to hear from someone who won't vote for a candidate simply because someone else supports them?



That's not what I'm doing. I'm voicing my opposition to money groups getting involved in civic politics and trying to buy elections. One of the few ways to oppose these groups is to refuse to support the candidates they pick.
jamapple
Übergod
Posts: 1552
Joined: Oct 1st, 2008, 10:00 pm

Re: ForKelowna

Post by jamapple »

I also believe he's trying to figure out how such a wonderful group of community leaders stand behind someone who...well, Part man already said, no experience, lacklustre achievements, etc. Does no one else see how strange it all is?? That's right up there with a group endorsing a doctor with 3 years experience, as opposed to the one next to him/her with 10 times the experience. Short of just knowing you will have control over this person, I can't for the life of me figure out why?
User avatar
Panzer130
Board Meister
Posts: 489
Joined: Sep 19th, 2009, 8:00 am

Re: ForKelowna

Post by Panzer130 »

Partmanpartfish wrote:That's not what I'm doing. I'm voicing my opposition to money groups getting involved in civic politics and trying to buy elections. One of the few ways to oppose these groups is to refuse to support the candidates they pick.


So if they endorsed Shepard you would refuse to vote for her?

jamapple wrote:I also believe he's trying to figure out how such a wonderful group of community leaders stand behind someone who...well, Part man already said, no experience, lacklustre achievements, etc. Does no one else see how strange it all is?? That's right up there with a group endorsing a doctor with 3 years experience, as opposed to the one next to him/her with 10 times the experience. Short of just knowing you will have control over this person, I can't for the life of me figure out why?


Just because someone has been doing it longer does not mean they are better at it. The doctor of 10 years can be behind in modern training or still using old technology and thought patterns.

Many of the people supporting Sheppard on this forum are also complaining about how bad this city is. The problems of this city did not happen in the last year, they happened over many years. Sheppard was the mayor for many years and so was the old gray mare. Perhaps we need new blood that has not become complacent to the old ways?
User avatar
Partmanpartfish
Übergod
Posts: 1775
Joined: Apr 5th, 2014, 4:51 pm

Re: ForKelowna

Post by Partmanpartfish »

^
Same old. Same old. It sure is hard for you guys to come up with a single positive thing to say about Basran.
User avatar
Partmanpartfish
Übergod
Posts: 1775
Joined: Apr 5th, 2014, 4:51 pm

Re: ForKelowna

Post by Partmanpartfish »

In a nutshell.

Right-wing pressure group: "We want you to vote for a lad who has never run so much as a peanut stand."

Right-wingers: "OK Masters!!"
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 11598
Joined: Sep 18th, 2009, 11:58 am

Re: ForKelowna

Post by LANDM »

Partmanpartfish wrote:"...........a lad who has never run so much as a peanut stand."


Same old, same old.....just because you say it doesn't mean it's true.

So Shepherd saying she, as one of her qualifications, is a "part owner of a building".......is somehow loaded with appropriate experience?
You and 71 others Like this post

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”