Stephen Johnston our West Kelowna mayor

Temporary forum for civic elections
justsaying
Posts: 10
Joined: Oct 10th, 2013, 10:24 am

Stephen Johnston our West Kelowna mayor

Post by justsaying »

It's exciting to see Stephen Johnston's passion and professionalism. Can he do it? People are buzzing about him all over West Kelowna. Maybe He's "our mayor"!
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2744
Joined: Sep 6th, 2006, 11:07 pm

Re: Stephen Johnston our West Kelowna mayor

Post by occasional thoughts »

I wish I knew more about him. His age, his history, his attitudes and values. I'd like to know where has come from in the political wilderness. Is he a federal Conservative/provincial B.C. Liberal behind the scenes? Is he allied with any current councillors or candidates, albeit not for public consumption. I hear he's a businessman. No problem in and of itself. But what is his attitude towards a unionized workforce? Workers in general? Contracting out? Is the developer always right? What about transparency and greater vs. lesser use of in-camera meetings. Is a good West Kelowna one that's devoted to development, every square inch? What about ALR lands? Would every ALR application for exclusion in a term of his be approved because the ALR confiscates private property? What about "city hall". Lots of questions; the extent to which he discloses is really a proxy for what kind of approach to mayoralty he might have.
playhard2010
Posts: 63
Joined: May 24th, 2010, 2:06 pm

Re: Stephen Johnston our West Kelowna mayor

Post by playhard2010 »

This young man has my VOTE as well as many others I have spoken with. It is time for a change and if you look at any other city or town that has younger elected officials, things seem to get done! I for one have listened to board meetings as well council meetings and I can 100% say that the only negative person in the room in EVERY single meeting, and on almost every subject is Mr. Findlater. The man is nothing but a complainer and the room has a sigh of relief when he leaves those said meetings. (what kind of leader is that when his co-workers so to speak cannot even handle him being in the room) West Kelowna needs a change, and needs a good change. I have spoke with Mr. Johnston for a good 30 minutes at a recent public function and this young man has nothing but positive, insightful things to say about the community (which he said he has grown up in and has a true vested interest in). I for 1 will be Voting Steve Johnston for Mayor of West Kelowna!!!
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2744
Joined: Sep 6th, 2006, 11:07 pm

Re: Stephen Johnston our West Kelowna mayor

Post by occasional thoughts »

Obviously the Johnston campaign team has started a rah-rah post/thread for their man, but my questions stand; youth in and of itself guarantees nothing. Findlater, nay Hitler, and us all were young once, and look how they "turned out". I hope Johnston and/or his team will answer my questions and any others that are out there. If he won't, says volumes and so might as well stay with Doug.
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2228
Joined: Aug 31st, 2008, 6:11 am

Re: Stephen Johnston our West Kelowna mayor

Post by Randall T »

This isn't to discredit the young man, but I wonder how many times he would have to excuse himself from chambers due to a possible conflict of interest. According to his website he is involved in his family's construction business, and that could make his job a bit more difficult if he could not participate in anything even remotely related to building/zoning issues. His opponents would certainly be watching closely.
I birn quil I se
justsaying
Posts: 10
Joined: Oct 10th, 2013, 10:24 am

Re: Stephen Johnston our West Kelowna mayor

Post by justsaying »

occasional thoughts wrote:I wish I knew more about him. His age, his history, his attitudes and values. I'd like to know where has come from in the political wilderness. Is he a federal Conservative/provincial B.C. Liberal behind the scenes? Is he allied with any current councillors or candidates, albeit not for public consumption. I hear he's a businessman. No problem in and of itself. But what is his attitude towards a unionized workforce? Workers in general? Contracting out? Is the developer always right? What about transparency and greater vs. lesser use of in-camera meetings. Is a good West Kelowna one that's devoted to development, every square inch? What about ALR lands? Would every ALR application for exclusion in a term of his be approved because the ALR confiscates private property? What about "city hall". Lots of questions; the extent to which he discloses is really a proxy for what kind of approach to mayoralty he might have.


You have read my mind. I want to know more about him as well. I honestly haven't been displeased with Findlater...and he certainly has job experience. I had the opportunity to speak to Stephen Johnston at a recent event. His professionalism and hard work along with his passion and energy are exciting to me. I like the idea of some new blood. It seems municipal governments can sometimes gets stuck with the same group of people that support one another and it can create a stagnant atmosphere. One thing is for sure.. it's a great race. I have talked to many people that are willing to give Johnston a try. I'm hoping more of my questions will be answered at the debates this Wednesday Nov 5th at CNB 6:30. Speaking of new blood Joanne Baker was very impressive to me at the last debates. She will have my vote for councillor as well as Rusty Ensign. I'd love to see the two of them join council.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2744
Joined: Sep 6th, 2006, 11:07 pm

Re: Stephen Johnston our West Kelowna mayor

Post by occasional thoughts »

I know Rusty no longer considers me a friend, and justifiably so, because I have questioned his candidacy when he ran for mayor the first election and when he ran for council last time. He blew it big-time in 2007 in our first election when he ran for mayor and not council, and split the vote with the late Aaron Dinwoodie and let Rosalind Neis in. Not that I didn't come to love Rosalind! I believe that was his first and last best chance and he squandered it through ego

Nevertheless, he has two big strikes against him in my books: he's run for higher office (Conservative candidate for the new federal riding a couple of years ago)(another Rick DeJong-type that tries for anything), and he's been before the courts on matters related to his wife that were not pleasant (reported in the news media several years ago). Such are matters to be boldly explained if there is a good explanation, not dodged. I do not think he understands conflict-of-interest too well. And he was the proponent of a big gravel pit not too many years ago in Rose Valley. He does not live in the city, but in Trepanier (electoral area). His brothers kicked him out of the family business a few years ago in a move that he's never explained.

But I digress. Stephen Johnston needs to provide lots of information that he may wish to hide if he is an above-board candidate (not part of a secret slate, which is possible given that Doug Findlater is not or used not to be a federal/provincial party member of anything).
Last edited by occasional thoughts on Nov 2nd, 2014, 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
justsaying
Posts: 10
Joined: Oct 10th, 2013, 10:24 am

Re: Stephen Johnston our West Kelowna mayor

Post by justsaying »

Tell me more. What do you know about Joanne Baker?
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2744
Joined: Sep 6th, 2006, 11:07 pm

Re: Stephen Johnston our West Kelowna mayor

Post by occasional thoughts »

Nada. Is she the woman who's on the Shannon Lake neighbourhood association. If so, look at what Urbane said about her in the early days of his Poll: West Kelowna Council thread about 20 down from the top on the main election page here as I write. Urbane is a level-headed steady guy that I've known through Castanet forums since the incorporation referendum. If it is her, he really liked her.
playhard2010
Posts: 63
Joined: May 24th, 2010, 2:06 pm

Re: Stephen Johnston our West Kelowna mayor

Post by playhard2010 »

I am no part of a Rah Rah for Mr. Johnston. All I am getting at is that we need someone new at the head of the table and he looks and sounds like a great candidate for this position. Education is key here, I am not talking about school, I am talking about the mayor that West Kelowna currently has and how he acts and people need to educate themselves on how he portrays our community. It isn't random people making things up in these threads stating that he is hard to deal with, it is fact. Go and listen back on board meetings since Findlater has been in council, you could have every single person in the room agreeing or coming to some sort of resolution over an issue and the only person in the room that ever has anything bad or CONSTANT negative to say is him. It isn't made up that when he leaves the room the atmosphere lightens up, he just does not like to play in the "sandbox" with anybody. He is a downer all the time and he is not what we need in West Kelowna representing us. West Kelowna is a beautiful community that HAS lots of future potential but when you have a negative person representing us as a community it is fact that it will not help in attracting people to the community whether it be for business, residence or other. My conclusion is that I truly hope that everyone gets out to vote this year and that everyone votes for a change. Complacency is not what we need, a fresh face is what West Kelowna needs!!
justsaying
Posts: 10
Joined: Oct 10th, 2013, 10:24 am

Re: Stephen Johnston our West Kelowna mayor

Post by justsaying »

occasional thoughts wrote:Nada. Is she the woman who's on the Shannon Lake neighbourhood association. If so, look at what Urbane said about her in the early days of his Poll: West Kelowna Council thread about 20 down from the top on the main election page here as I write. Urbane is a level-headed steady guy that I've known through Castanet forums since the incorporation referendum. If it is her, he really liked her.


No I think you are referring to Lister. Joanne Baker's website says past realtor, past customer service manager of gas utility, past local government board administrator, past member of board of variance District of West Kelowna. She states being a councillor is a life long goal. She quite impressed me at the debates. She seems to have done her research and has been preparing for this for a long time. She came across strong, kind, genuine and as if her goal was very much to be an advocate for our community. All I can remember about Lister is that she has a gofundme page for the future skate park.
justsaying
Posts: 10
Joined: Oct 10th, 2013, 10:24 am

Re: Stephen Johnston our West Kelowna mayor

Post by justsaying »

playhard2010 wrote:I am no part of a Rah Rah for Mr. Johnston. All I am getting at is that we need someone new at the head of the table and he looks and sounds like a great candidate for this position. Education is key here, I am not talking about school, I am talking about the mayor that West Kelowna currently has and how he acts and people need to educate themselves on how he portrays our community. It isn't random people making things up in these threads stating that he is hard to deal with, it is fact. Go and listen back on board meetings since Findlater has been in council, you could have every single person in the room agreeing or coming to some sort of resolution over an issue and the only person in the room that ever has anything bad or CONSTANT negative to say is him. It isn't made up that when he leaves the room the atmosphere lightens up, he just does not like to play in the "sandbox" with anybody. He is a downer all the time and he is not what we need in West Kelowna representing us. West Kelowna is a beautiful community that HAS lots of future potential but when you have a negative person representing us as a community it is fact that it will not help in attracting people to the community whether it be for business, residence or other. My conclusion is that I truly hope that everyone gets out to vote this year and that everyone votes for a change. Complacency is not what we need, a fresh face is what West Kelowna needs!!

Johnston does look and sound great! He's very well spoken and seems to have endless energy and passion to put into the community. I'm hoping to find out more about him however ultimately it feels like it will be hard to know exactly how he would lead unless he is elected. Will West Kelowna take the chance..that is the question.
Stephen Johnston
Posts: 1
Joined: Nov 2nd, 2014, 4:21 pm

Re: Stephen Johnston our West Kelowna mayor

Post by Stephen Johnston »

Hi this is Stephen Johnston. I normally don't get involved in posting on forums, in fact this is my first time! However I did want to respond to a couple of the comments and open up the lines of communication.

First regarding the comment about conflict of interest. Randall T you are absolutely right, the various boards I sit on right now would be considered a conflict of interest and in the event of being elected Mayor I will step down from those positions. This has been my intent all along. Beyond that I believe being a Mayor is a full time job and I will focus all of my energy and attention toward that position.

Secondly I keep hearing that there are so many questions about me. I have a website, a facebook page, a twitter account, email, and have attended (and will be attending), as many community events as possible. All of my information is also published on the DWK website (and has been since October 10) so if you have a question, you have only to ask it. Communicating with people is extremely important to me, and it has honestly been one of my favorite things about this campaign. I welcome your questions and will do everything I can to get back to you as a soon as possible. Its extremely important for people to be informed about all of the candidates as we approach the election, and I appreciate the willingness to discover who we are. So keep it up, and get in touch!

www.stephenjohnston2014.com
[email protected]

I sincerely hope to hear back from you!
Stephen Johnston
KelownaResid
Posts: 31
Joined: Oct 23rd, 2014, 10:03 am

Re: Stephen Johnston our West Kelowna mayor

Post by KelownaResid »

This question is for Stephen and all mayoral candidates:

Section 116 of the Community Charter reads as follows:
Responsibilities of mayor
116 (1) The mayor is the head and chief executive officer of the municipality.
(2) In addition to the mayor's responsibilities as a member of council, the mayor has the following responsibilities:
(a) to provide leadership to the council, including by recommending bylaws, resolutions and other measures that, in the mayor's opinion, may assist the peace, order and good government of the municipality;
(b) to communicate information to the council;
(c) to preside at council meetings when in attendance;
(d) to provide, on behalf of the council, general direction to municipal officers respecting implementation of municipal policies, programs and other directions of the council;
(e) to establish standing committees in accordance with section 141;
(f) to suspend municipal officers and employees in accordance with section 151;
(g) to reflect the will of council and to carry out other duties on behalf of the council;
(h) to carry out other duties assigned under this or any other Act.

http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/LOC ... Charter%20[SBC%202003]%20c.%2026/00_Act/03026_05.xml#division_d2e10514

What experience do you have to successfully implement the responsibilities of a mayor as listed in the Community Charter section 116? Specifically, what examples can you provide from your past that shows you will be able to successfully:
(a) to provide leadership to the council, including by recommending bylaws, resolutions and other measures that, in the mayor's opinion, may assist the peace, order and good government of the municipality;
(d) to provide, on behalf of the council, general direction to municipal officers respecting implementation of municipal policies, programs and other directions of the council;
(e) to establish standing committees in accordance with section 141;
(f) to suspend municipal officers and employees in accordance with section 151;
justsaying
Posts: 10
Joined: Oct 10th, 2013, 10:24 am

Re: Stephen Johnston our West Kelowna mayor

Post by justsaying »

Stephen Johnston wrote:Hi this is Stephen Johnston. I normally don't get involved in posting on forums, in fact this is my first time! However I did want to respond to a couple of the comments and open up the lines of communication.

First regarding the comment about conflict of interest. Randall T you are absolutely right, the various boards I sit on right now would be considered a conflict of interest and in the event of being elected Mayor I will step down from those positions. This has been my intent all along. Beyond that I believe being a Mayor is a full time job and I will focus all of my energy and attention toward that position.

Secondly I keep hearing that there are so many questions about me. I have a website, a facebook page, a twitter account, email, and have attended (and will be attending), as many community events as possible. All of my information is also published on the DWK website (and has been since October 10) so if you have a question, you have only to ask it. Communicating with people is extremely important to me, and it has honestly been one of my favorite things about this campaign. I welcome your questions and will do everything I can to get back to you as a soon as possible. Its extremely important for people to be informed about all of the candidates as we approach the election, and I appreciate the willingness to discover who we are. So keep it up, and get in touch!

http://www.stephenjohnston2014.com
[email protected]

I sincerely hope to hear back from you!
Stephen Johnston


Ok WOW! 5 Stars for accessibility! I will start compiling my list of questions and email you. Thank you.

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”