Basran Comparisons Inaccurate

Temporary forum for civic elections
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: Basran Comparisons Inaccurate

Post by Captain Awesome »

Anonymous123 wrote:Yes they did. And if you are trying to compare Basran to these guys, well........

They only graduated after they became successful. But they built those companies without college degrees, imagine that. So, just because Basran doesn't have a degree from university doesn't mean he is incapable of making a difference in a sleepy one-horse town such as Kelowna.

The OP started comparing Basran to some people who graduated college. I've compared him to some people who didn't.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Michael Dell

Michael Dell attended Herod Elementary School in Houston, Texas.[6] In a bid to enter business early, he applied to take a high school equivalency exam at age eight. In his early teens, he invested his earnings from part-time jobs in stocks and precious metals.[7]
Dell purchased his first calculator at age seven and encountered an early teletype terminal in junior high. At age 15, after playing with computers at Radio Shack, he got his first computer, an Apple II, which he promptly disassembled to see how it worked.[8] Dell attended Memorial High School in Houston, selling subscriptions to the Houston Post in the summer. While making cold calls, he noted that the persons most likely to purchase subscriptions were those in the process of establishing permanent geographic and social presence; he then targeted this demographic group by collecting names from marriage and mortgage applications. Dell earned $18,000 that year, exceeding the annual income of his history and economics teacher.[9]
While a freshman pre-med student at the University of Texas, Dell started an informal business putting together and selling upgrade kits for personal computers[10] in Room 2713 of the Dobie Center residential building. He then applied for a vendor license to bid on contracts for the State of Texas, winning bids by not having the overhead of a computer store.[11][12][13]

Steve Jobs

Jobs's youth was riddled with frustrations over formal schooling. At Monta Loma Elementary school in Mountain View, he frequently played pranks on others.[49] Though school officials recommended that he skip two grades on account of his test scores, his parents elected for him to skip only one grade.[40][49]

Bill Gates

Gates graduated from Lakeside School in 1973 and was a National Merit Scholar.[34] He scored 1590 out of 1600 on the SAT[35] and enrolled at Harvard College in the autumn of 1973.[36] While at Harvard, he met Steve Ballmer, who would later succeed Gates as CEO of Microsoft.[citation needed]
Gates did not have a definite study plan while a student at Harvard[40] and spent a lot of time using the school's computers. Gates remained in contact with Paul Allen, and he joined him at Honeywell during the summer of 1974.[41] The following year saw the release of the MITS Altair 8800 based on the Intel 8080 CPU, and Gates and Allen saw this as the opportunity to start their own computer software company.[42] Gates dropped out of Harvard at this time.[43] He had talked this decision over with his parents, who were supportive of him after seeing how much Gates wanted to start a company.[40]

Colin Basran

Colin was born on November 14, 1977 at the Kelowna General Hospital. He spent his childhood in Rutland attending the Belgo and South Rutland Elementary Schools. His next educational leap was made at the Rutland Junior Secondary, Rutland Senior Secondary and KLO Secondary Schools - ending this journey in 1995 by graduating from KLO Secondary. From 1995 to 2000, Colin attended Okanagan College, with great interest and focus on studying English and History.
Realtor at Royal Lepage Kelowna 2009 - Today
Former news reporter with CHBC Television – 2002-2007 – Covering events like 2003 Okanagan Mountain Park Fire
2006 Okanagan Reporter of the Year awarded by "BC Fruit Growers Association"
...... You get the drift.

I don't see the comparison at all. Apples to Oranges.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
koivu11

Post by koivu11 »

Without Prejudice

I would humbly apologize to all if I were the one who compared the candidate to these three esteemed individuals. But the candidate made these comparisons, not me. Not once, but at two public forums in two different locations on two different weeks.

It was the cornerstone of his platform, these “other communities have trusted these young men”, and like wise “you can count on me”.

This struck a chord with me personally, as I volunteered for Mayor Nenshi during the 2010 election. He is a remarkable individual, articulate, brilliant and very self-effacing. As I stated in my original post his credentials and accomplishments are extraordinary, I would say unbelievable given his age.

Not to belabor the point but Mayor Nenshi earned a Masters in Public Policy from Harvard University, a program that “accepts 20 of the brightest minds from around the world each year”. Not “he went to some college”, which would be the candidate that is being discussed in this forum.

I think my point is the three individuals that this candidate compared himself to, are all extremely intelligent, incredible hardworking and dedicated to personal excellence, and have paid significant amounts both personally and financially to achieve the positions that they now hold. That is where the similarity between these three and this candidate take a drastic departure.

Youth is a quality, not a qualification, one passes the other endures.

Just my two cents.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

There is no guarantee that a college or university degree equate to wealth or wisdom but it helps AND it shows that you CAN learn and have the fortitude to FINISH what you have started. That to employers means something.

Those 3 may not have finished college but they came away with something that they used in their future endeavors. Their future endeavors made ALL of them multi millionaires and their endeavors produced jobs for thousands upon thousands of people around the world.......ALL DONE BY BASRANS CURRENT AGE. Colin is still looking for his "calling" and you can bet he won't be hiring anybody if he ever finds it.

Bottom line is he brings nothing to the table other than to try to baffle us with bull_ _ _ t and an illusion that he changed Kelowna in 3 years on council and that all his good work is being held back because he is not the mayor.

Colin opened this can of worms of comparisons of people in his age segment thinking we are all stupid to see the actual differences.
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

What's next? Are Basranites going to compare Colin to Mahatma Gandhi because Gandhi didn't sell any houses either?
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Partmanpartfish wrote:What's next? Are Basranites going to compare Colin to Mahatma Gandhi because Gandhi didn't sell any houses either?

Lol. Good one!
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
koivu11

Post by koivu11 »

Where do you get your stats in mayors having minimum Bachelors and most have Masters or law degrees? I haven't seen those stats and would find it fascinating to see an analysis of canadian or bc mayors.

Try to be accurate.....there has been so much crap spewed repetitively and the spewers assume that by repeating it over and over, it becomes true. That's not the case.

LANDM

Yet again ,I apologize because this candidate compared himself to other elected officials.You might want to compare his credentials with those of the candidates that he foolishly compares himself with. I am very sorry that this individual chose to compare himself with other candidates. (traditionally , a political campaign is based on ones own views, values and strengths).

I do not know what he was thinking, I am sorry but to me the question begged asking.

Perhaps you do not want to shot the messenger.

Just my two cents
okcitizen
Fledgling

Post by okcitizen »

Just to name a few current and past mayors of larger cities in Canada:

Naheed Nenshi – Calgary – Bachelor of Commerce Degree and Master’s Degree in Public Policy
Don Iveson – Current Edmonton – Bachelor of Arts Degree in Political Science
Stephen Mandel – Past Edmonton – Bachelor of Science Degree and Master’s Degree in Political Science
Vincent Dantzer – Past Edmonton – Bachelor of Economics Degree and Master’s Degree in Economics
Dean Fortin – Victoria – Bachelor of Arts Degree, Bachelor of Law Degree, Master’s Degree in Education
Michael Fougere – Regina – Bachelor of Arts Degree and Masters of Science and Economics Degree
Rob Sawatzky – Vernon – Bachelor of Medicine Degree
Derek Corrigan – Burnaby – Bachelor of Law Degree
Greg Moore – Port Coquitlam – Bachelor of Arts Degree and Master’s Degree in Business Administration
John Tory – Toronto – Bachelor of Arts Degree, Law Degree
Shari Green – Prince George – Bachelor of Arts Degree
Karl Zehr – Kitchener – Bachelor of Commerce Degree
Mel Norton – Saint John – Bachelor of Law Degree
Brian Bowman – Winnipeg – Bachelor of Law Degree
Sam Katz – Past Winnipeg – Bachelor of Economics Degree
Dennis O’Keefe – St.John’s – Bachelor of Arts Degree and Bachelor of Education Degree and Master of Arts Degree
Jim Watson – Current Ottawa – Bachelor of Public Affairs Degree
Bob Chiarelli – Past Ottawa – Bachelor of Business Administration and Bachelor of Law Degree
Regis LaBeaume – Quebec City – Bachelor of Arts Degree
Gregor Robinson – Current Vancouver – Bachelor of Arts Degree
Sam Sullivan – Past Vancouver – Bachelor of Bachelor of Business Administration Degree
Brenda Halloran – Waterloo – Bachelor of Nursing Degree
Gerald Tremplay – Past mayor of Montreal – Bachelor of Law Degree and Master’s Degree in Public Administration
Susan Fennell – Brampton – Bachelor of Science Degree
Melissa Blake – Fort McMurray – Bachelor of Administration Degree

Two of Basran's opponents:
Sharon Shepherd - Kelowna - Bachelor of Pharmacy Degree
Mark Thompson - Kelowna - Bachelor of Pharmacy Degree and Master's Degree in Business Administration
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

koivu11 wrote:Where do you get your stats in mayors having minimum Bachelors and most have Masters or law degrees? I haven't seen those stats and would find it fascinating to see an analysis of canadian or bc mayors.

Try to be accurate.....there has been so much crap spewed repetitively and the spewers assume that by repeating it over and over, it becomes true. That's not the case.

LANDM

Yet again ,I apologize because this candidate compared himself to other elected officials.You might want to compare his credentials with those of the candidates that he foolishly compares himself with. I am very sorry that this individual chose to compare himself with other candidates. (traditionally , a political campaign is based on ones own views, values and strengths).

I do not know what he was thinking, I am sorry but to me the question begged asking.

Perhaps you do not want to shot the messenger.

Just my two cents

Why are you addressing me??

I have never posted in this thread?

What's up and why are you sorry and where am I shooting a messenger?
You and 71 others Like this post
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

Santac wrote:That pretty much sums it up. No comparison at all!! I am not sure Basran even graduated from college! All it states was he enjoyed English and History there. Looks like he spent 5 years there with accomplishing nothing! Would I want somebody with no education or experience running my city? I think not!!! And I don't give a hoot about how many endorsements he has..... Or how many signs or YouTube videos ....

I'd be more interested to know who paid for all this time in school and how did he support himself? The answers to those questions answer pretty much everything you need to know about Colin. He's nothing more than a poser with his hand out. The more I speak with people of his age and especially those who know him, the less I am worried about him being mayor . . . his peers really don't like him very much. Why, because anyone who has earned their stripes, do not like those who it is handed to . . including me.
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

koivu11 wrote:Without Prejudice

I would humbly apologize to all if I were the one who compared the candidate to these three esteemed individuals. But the candidate made these comparisons, not me. Not once, but at two public forums in two different locations on two different weeks.

It was the cornerstone of his platform, these “other communities have trusted these young men”, and like wise “you can count on me”.

This struck a chord with me personally, as I volunteered for Mayor Nenshi during the 2010 election. He is a remarkable individual, articulate, brilliant and very self-effacing. As I stated in my original post his credentials and accomplishments are extraordinary, I would say unbelievable given his age.

Not to belabor the point but Mayor Nenshi earned a Masters in Public Policy from Harvard University, a program that “accepts 20 of the brightest minds from around the world each year”. Not “he went to some college”, which would be the candidate that is being discussed in this forum.

I think my point is the three individuals that this candidate compared himself to, are all extremely intelligent, incredible hardworking and dedicated to personal excellence, and have paid significant amounts both personally and financially to achieve the positions that they now hold. That is where the similarity between these three and this candidate take a drastic departure.

Youth is a quality, not a qualification, one passes the other endures.

Just my two cents.

The short version of your post is . . . Basran is a poser.
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

Captain Awesome wrote:
They only graduated after they became successful. But they built those companies without college degrees, imagine that. So, just because Basran doesn't have a degree from university doesn't mean he is incapable of making a difference in a sleepy one-horse town such as Kelowna.

The OP started comparing Basran to some people who graduated college. I've compared him to some people who didn't.

You can keep trying to spread the manure, but the pasture will still stink.

What a degree shows is you can set a goal and achieve it. What 6 years in college with nothing to show.... says you can't. Either way, someone who hasn't shown one stitch of internal-fortitude or initiative in their life, is now suddenly capable of being our mayor? There is no way that could be.
koivu11

Post by koivu11 »

Yet again I find myself apologizing to all the profoundly offended individuals who partake in these forum discussions.

It would appear that I have become pubic enemy number one for commenting on the young counselor who chose to compare himself to Nenshj, Iveson, and Gallant. I have not, nor would I ever compare this counselor with the three above mentioned. The young counselor, and his supporters have made these comparisons repeatedly.

What I do not comprehend is why is it okay for this young counselor to compare himself to this individual, but considered a hate crime for someone (myself) to compare /contrast them?

I am not debating the merits of higher education. I am stating what Nenshi, Iveson, and Gallant offer in the way of education and experience, may have help these three individuals to attain the positions that they hold today.

These individuals were not elected simply because they are three of the millions of 35-40 year olds in Canada. They were elected in large part due to their education and qualifications.

Youth is a quality not a qualification, the first passes the second endures.

“Fresh” is a termed used by SUBWAY, and I shudder to think what one of those sandwiches would look like after 4 years.

Just my two cents.
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

koivu11, you need not be sorry for anything! You are spot on! Basran even knows in his heart of hearts that he cannot be compared to these people. That's like me comparing myself to Wayne Gretzky because I too have put on a pair of skates. He, (Basran) knows he's outclassed against ANY of the people he compares himself to. He just did it to pull the wool over our eyes to make himself look ike he's an up and comer, which he is not!
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

So, koivu11, you can answer my question above as to why you made the above reference to me in your posting.....I had not participated in this thread and you are directly addressing me as if I had?

Once again, what's up?

Instead of doing your "once again I profoundly apologize" posts, why not let me know why I am specifically dragged into this thread with your post.....I didn't exist in this thread. Period.
You and 71 others Like this post

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”