Basran Comparisons Inaccurate

Temporary forum for civic elections
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Basran Comparisons Inaccurate

Post by George+ »

All the people cited have had much more experience/education than
Colin Basran has even begun to have.

He is way too young, and way too uneducated/inexperienced.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

George+ wrote:All the people cited have had much more experience/education than
Colin Basran has even begun to have.

He is way too young, and way too uneducated/inexperienced.

Too bad for you that you, as a resident of Joe Riche, don't get to vote for Basran's opponents. That's one less vote for stagnation of the city's economy, and of that I am glad.

Judging from what I've seen, with the recent UBCO "burger" campaign, Basran is going to win by a landslide. Those from outside the city will continue with the sniping, but they reality is the Kelowna election is not their concern. Let the citizens of Kelowna decide their future.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

Gone_Fishin wrote:
Too bad for you that you, as a resident of Joe Riche, don't get to vote for Basran's opponents. That's one less vote for stagnation of the city's economy, and of that I am glad.

Judging from what I've seen, with the recent UBCO "burger" campaign, Basran is going to win by a landslide. Those from outside the city will continue with the sniping, but they reality is the Kelowna election is not their concern. Let the citizens of Kelowna decide their future.

There is wishful thinking and then there is outright dreaming. If Wally can only win with a very narrow margin I don't think Colin the Gray will win at all, let alone by a landslide. What people say in public does not always equate to what they do when they mark their ballot in complete privacy - then they can make the decision they want without all the noise.
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

Basran sure is spending a lot of money. Must have some big developers behind him. Looks like its more a campaign against Shepherd then for Basran.I go with experience. Once Basran has more experience i may vote for him in future. But if he does not get elected its back to school for him or selling real estate. So no experience. He should have stayed as a councillor. He would have been re elected.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

There is wishful thinking and then there is outright dreaming. If Wally can only win with a very narrow margin I don't think Colin the Gray will win at all, let alone by a landslide. What people say in public does not always equate to what they do when they mark their ballot in complete privacy - then they can make the decision they want without all the noise.
what is even more ironic is some ppl saying give the young guy a chance, yet trash justin t for being young lol
Carmencat
Übergod

Post by Carmencat »

Gone_Fishin wrote: Judging from what I've seen, with the recent UBCO "burger" campaign, Basran is going to win by a landslide

LOL. That is the funniest statement I have read on these forums so far. Judging from the number of students who bothered to vote in the advance poll yesterday right at their campus - open from 8am to 8pm - the students will not make much difference to any candidate. There were a mere 290 students who bothered to vote, out of over 8,000 who attend UBCO. If they can't be bothered to vote in their own backyard so to speak, I doubt tons will be dragging themselves to a polling station on Saturday. Students have in general a very poor voting record.

BTW, I have no idea what a burger campaign is, but if free or cheap food is involved a huge turnout is pretty much a given. LOL.
Carmencat
Übergod

Post by Carmencat »

It was funny to hear Blanleil once again on Phil Johnson's show this morning stumping for his buddy Colin. (The person who he was seven years off regarding Basran's actual age - because he knows so much about Basran). Personally I think it is disgusting that someone who is still be paid as a councillor by the taxpayers is spending now two hours of airtime (one hour this week and one hour last week) stumping for his chosen ones. (Tracy Gray and Brad Sieben also got accolades).

The funny thing was from what I heard last week there were no callers in to the show during the time Blanleil was on, and today there were two who were both very critical of Blanleil. Today's targets were TaxPayers First and the Firefighters Union. Mind you it was Blanleil's sidekick (whose name I don't remember - some BDO guy) who went after the Firefighters Union. What makes me think that if they had endorsed Basran instead of Shepherd they would have been praised?
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Do not live in Joe Rich..no e

The college vote is mostly insignificant.

I wonder how many actually listened to the two candidates

OR just voted blindly for youth?
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

Actually, George, I think they were there for the free burger!
KelownaResid

Post by KelownaResid »

A recent article dated Nov 13, 2014 in the Kelowna Daily Courier questioned Colin on his experience.

Q. You’ve been a reporter and a realtor. Do those experiences really prepare you to lead an organization with revenues of $300 million, 1,000 employees, and the ability to affect the lives of 120,000 citizens?

A. Being on city council and helping get Kelowna moving forward again these past three years has taught me a great deal. As a reporter, I learned how to truly listen to residents and their concerns. As a professional realtor running my own business, I learned fiscal responsibility and how great the need is for more attainable market and rental housing. All of these experiences have prepared me to lead this city. Kelowna is ready for innovative and energetic leadership.

http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/news/ ... 5c077.html

I was surprised to read that Colin runs his own business and made no reference to Walter Gray and Andre Blanleil endorsing him as he did on the Mayors Forum on Oct 31. Has his experience running a business prepared him to provide leadership and direction to the 1,000 plus employees of the City of Kelowna?

Anyways, Happy 37th Birthday today Colin. I look forward to seeing if you can repeat the phenomenal success you had in your 2011 election campaign. It will be quite an achievement if Kelowna decides you will be our next CEO
eliecer

Post by eliecer »

If you have not made the final decision about the future Mayor of Kelowna, check this Q/A section from the Mayoral FaceOff Debate ( Shepherd vs Colin Basran ): http://youtu.be/D7xWevSlDhk . Full Debate at http://goo.gl/A5LR3a
kompili
Walks on Forum Water

Post by kompili »

Shepard took Basran to school in this Mayoral FaceOff Debate. Do we need a mayor that is hesitant to answer questions. NO. We need to go with a person with some experience, someone that we know can get the job done.
We Have Been Conditioned To See Only What They Want Us To See.
koivu11

Post by koivu11 »

If the young councillor got in,North Korean comedians and late night talk show hosts would finally have a place to ridicule!
I am unsure who is more unqualified to lead, the young councillor, or Kim Jung Un ? I do take comfort (for personal reasons ) that the young councillor has never machine gunned his opponents or critics !! Perhaps Kelowna and North Korea could create a sister city arrangement.

Whatever your beliefs or persuasion, everyone please get out and exercise your right to vote. It is a right that many individuals have paid tremendous sacrifice to ensure we have. Please respect their service to country and freedom.

[u][u][u][u][u][u][u][u][u][u][u][u][u][u][u][u][u][u][u][u][u][u][u][u][u][u][u][u][u][u][u][u][u][u][u][/u][/u][/u][/u][/u][/u][/u][/u][/u][/u][/u][/u][/u][/u][/u][/u][/u][/u][/u][/u][/u][/u][/u][/u][/u][/u][/u][/u][/u][/u][/u][/u][/u][/u][/u]

At two recent mayoral forums that I attended, Mr. Basran compared himself favorably to Naheed Nenshi, current mayor of Calgary, Don Iveson, current mayor of Edmonton and Brian Gallant, the current Premier of New Brunswick.

Rather than acknowledging these three individuals remarkable, educations and qualifications Mr. Basran focused on these individuals age. The three individuals that he tried to compare himself to did not get elected because they were “young”, they were elected because of their incredible education and accomplishments.

According to the most recent census there are approximately 3.9 million Canadians between the ages of 30-40. Of that number there are a handful that have been elected to office municipally, provincially, and federally.

Following the mayoral forum at the Rotary Center for the ARTS this past Thursday, I did a very quick search on the education and qualifications of each elected official Mr. Basran mentioned.

Listed below is a brief history of academic and employment achievements, for the three mentioned at the forums, as well as the education and work experience that Mr. Basran has listed on his own website. (Note Mr. Basran states that he attended the local college for 5 years, but does not indicate that he graduated.)

Mr. Basran might be comparable in age to these three remarkable individuals but that is where any comparison ends.

COLIN BASRAN Kelowna City Counselor AGE: 37
From 1995 to 2000, Colin attended Okanagan College, with great interest and focus on studying English and History.
Basran has been a sitting city counselor for 3 years. Director Regional District of Central Okanogan, for 3 years. Worked as a licensed realtor for Royal Lepage Kelowna for 5 years. Worked as a television news reporter for CHBC Kelowna for 5 years.

BRIAN GALLANT: 33rd Premier of New Brunswick AGE 32
In order to pay his way through university, he started and ran two small companies, eventually allowing him to graduate from the Université de Moncton with both a BA in Business Administration, and a Bachelor of Laws degree, later receiving a Master's in Law from McGill University. Whilst at Moncton, he was made president of the student federation. Afterwards, he practiced corporate and commercial law with the firm Stewart McKelvey, and then became a partner at Veritas Law in Dieppe.

DON IVESON Mayor of EDMONTON Age: 35
Earned a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science from the University of Alberta in 2001.While there, he served as managing editor of The Gateway, the university's student newspaper.[He did the last year of his degree on exchange at the University of Toronto, and stayed in Toronto upon his graduation to serve as president of the Canadian University Press for a year. Two years as business manager of The Gateway followed before he took a job as advocacy director with the University of Alberta Students' Union.[ There, he played a leading role in negotiations with the City of Edmonton for the development of a Universal Transit Pass for University of Alberta students.[ He left the position in 2007, and entered politics shortly thereafter.

NAHEED NENSHI Mayor of Calgary AGE: 42
Educated at the University of Calgary, receiving a Bachelor of Commerce in 1993, and completed a Master of Public Policy at Harvard University in 1998. Nenshi worked for McKinsey & Company for several years before starting his own consulting firm 'Ascend Group' which advised the United Nations on ways to encourage wealthy corporations to engage in Corporate Citizenship.
As a young professional, he developed his administrative capabilities by joining Canada25, a federal networking organization that mentored professionals under 35 of public policy and has co-founded two citizens' groups aimed at improving Calgary's civic government. In 2009, Nenshi was invited to become a founding member of Civic Camp, an active citizenship forum that encourages and enables Calgarians to actively engage and collaborate ideas in civic affairs
He was an instructor in non-profit management in the Bissett School of Business at Mount Royal University and wrote a regular municipal affairs column for the Calgary Herald.
Nenshi was ranked second most important person in Canada next to Prime Minister Stephen Harper by Maclean's magazine 50 top Canadians list for 2013.

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”