Is Charlie Really Dying?

Temporary forum for civic elections
User avatar
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3779
Joined: Feb 8th, 2013, 4:02 pm

Re: Is Charlie Really Dying?

Post by Anonymous123 »

kingsandman wrote:While I don't wish his situation on anyone and do sympathize with him, running for public office is not the right thing to do.
How many missed Council Meetings would play into this? What if the unthinkable happens, then we're faced with a bye election.
I'm sure some will disagree but we went through this with Sindi Hawkins and don't need it again. Focus on your health and enjoying life Charlie and leave public office behind.




A little info on Emphysema from WebMD:

More than 80% of people with mild emphysema are alive after four years.
60% to 70% of people with moderate emphysema are alive after four years.
Among people with severe emphysema (FEV1< 35% normal), about 50% are alive after four years.
People with the worst possible emphysema symptoms (such as inability to walk through the house and severe weight loss) have the shortest emphysema life expectancy.
Remember that emphysema life expectancy varies widely, even between people with the same pulmonary function tests and BODE index scores. Even with the most severe emphysema, the odds of surviving one year are higher than 90%. Your primary doctor or pulmonologist can provide more detailed information.


There's a good chance that CH will be here for the entire 4 yr term. I'll vote for him regardless of his diagnosis.
We See
We Judge
We Get Muzzled
t3r3sa
Posts: 2
Joined: Mar 20th, 2014, 1:06 pm

Hodge responds to 'friends' comments

Post by t3r3sa »

Hello Forum followers
This is Charlie Hodge, for real, – no fake names or hide behind pseudonyms. This is my wife's account because I don't have one.
This is the first and only time I will respond to comments here and I do so reluctantly. However, I must comment on the posting by my supposed ‘friend’ Panzer who suggested I have too many biases to be any good on council.
First - any real friend of mine would know the above comment is not true. I am not sure what bias he/she/it may be referring to but I laugh at the suggestion they are a ‘friend’. A cowardly ‘ForKelowna’ (4-change) plant perhaps – but not a friend.
I have no axes grind, however I have made it clear that I think City Hall is too top heavy in bureaucracy and that senior staff is running things and not council.
Regarding my health, yes I am dying of Emphysema and as my column stated it scares the hell out of me. My mother died of the same thing and it is not pretty. I wrote that column for a couple of reasons mentioned in the column itself (see above here somewhere). However the main reason was so that others could feel willing to talk to me about their own issues of mortality. Since that column ran I have talked to at least a half dozen people and, I believe, assisted them in dealing with their fear. I am lucky in that I am comfortable enough to discuss such things, but some folks are not.
All my life I have been an advocate for those without a voice – that is how I operate. A true friend of mine would know that.
That aside, Emphysema is a killer but it is often a slow killer. My mom took 11 years to die of it. I have had it for four, including the last year I was on council. I completed that term with the second best attendance record of ALL council members (just three missing meetings – only one due to health – a flu bug I did not want to give to others).
I saw my lung specialist last month - the same day I filed my papers, wanting to hear his view and thoughts. He told me my test numbers had not changed in six months and that I was doing well.
While no one can predict the future I would suggest my chances of completing another term in office are good or I would never have entered. (I suggest there are a few candidates with as serious of health issues who have not publically said so, not to mention a couple of folks much older than I).
My disability is difficulty breathing when I am moving about - sitting at a council table is hardly a physical workout.
Serving on Council is not stressful to me at all, I love the job and I love a good debate.
What I do find stressful is the actual campaign, the rigors of door knocking in cold weather, and the stress of dealing with lies and crap as spewed out by cowards who do not have the intestinal fortitude to put their name behind their opinion or comments. As a journalist most of my life I have never hidden from my public opinions, and proof of that is the very source of this debate - something I wrote and put my name to.
The fact I am willing to spend a large portion of the next four years of whatever time I have left serving my community is not being a ‘martyr’ – simply a testimony to the fact that I love Kelowna and want to try and leave it a better place for my two grand-children and two great grandchildren.
Once again, if I did not believe I could make a difference and finish the term I would not have run. I was on council when Brian Given died and I know full well how that impacted the rest of us on council.
So there it is – you managed to get me to react for the first time - but it will be my last.
If any of you really want to know the truth behind any issues involving me I welcome you to call me at home (at a decent hour please) at 250-979-7254. I am available to my fellow citizens, as always, whenever you wish.
Charlie Hodge.
thisisforsale
Posts: 3
Joined: May 19th, 2014, 8:09 pm

Re: Is Charlie Really Dying?

Post by thisisforsale »

Panzer130 wrote:I know Charlie personally and think he is an incredible man. One of the hardest emotions I have to deal with when I am with him is giving him encouragement to pursue his passion for councilor, while hoping he does not get elected.

Charlie is not a good man for the position of councilor. He is very biased in his opinions and can not see past his agendas.
I could not possibly think of a better man to call a friend though.


Was just glancing through the forums and saw this thread and have to say that I do agree with the opinion that "Charlie is not a good man for the position of councillor".....I'm also shaking my head about Charlie's statement in his column about having smoked the "occasional joint"....
I look to vote for someone who is intelligent, community minded, not known to be a "stoner" and sticks to his decisions.
Knowing him so well, Panzer130, how many times has he been married?
I am very sad that Andre is leaving council, as he embodies what Kelowna needs in a city councillor.
User avatar
Panzer130
Board Meister
Posts: 479
Joined: Sep 19th, 2009, 8:00 am

Re: Is Charlie Really Dying?

Post by Panzer130 »

Charlie,

It is unfortunate that you can not have an open mind to some constructive criticism and have chosen to blame the "Forchange" group for my opinion. I can assure you that I am not member of the group and truly have no connection to it.

If you and a couple others in this forum would bother to read my post, I said I know you personally. I have not said I am a close personal friend, I only said I could not think of a better man to call a friend.

We are associates that have shared some personal experiences together. I have been invited to your home on two occasions. One of those occasions we shared a laugh at the expense of your neighbors in the adjacent hotel that were complaining about the live band in your back yard. Granted, it was only 7:00 or so in the evening, so their complaints were unfair in my opinion.

I watched you on council in the past and feel you are not the best, well rounded person for the position. Social issues you are fantastic for. Growth and business you are not. In my opinion, to be good on council you must be well versed in all parts of a community and be open minded to the affect you have on all community members.

I think some supporters of forchange have been somewhat despicable in their remarks about you and other people running for office, but sinking to their level because I shared a political opinion is not serving you well. In fact Charlie, I have defended you on other sites because of the some of the malicious comments some forchange supporters have made.

You are a great man and I really enjoy your company on the occasions we have shared it. I do not feel you are the right decision for council, but that is only my opinion of you as a councilor. We saw each other only a few weeks ago and it was difficult to show you support while not agreeing with your views.
I shall remain anonymous because I enjoy a friendly relationship with you and frankly don't give a *bleep* if our political views are the same. It is not worth ruining a relationship because of a Castanet forum.
George+
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 10008
Joined: Oct 10th, 2011, 12:08 pm

Re: Is Charlie Really Dying?

Post by George+ »

Charlie Hodge is well worth voting for.

Even if you do not have the same political views.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 11576
Joined: Sep 18th, 2009, 11:58 am

Re: Is Charlie Really Dying?

Post by LANDM »

George+ wrote:Charlie Hodge is well worth voting for.

Even if you do not have the same political views.

Why would you vote for someone if you do not hold the same political views?
Btw, this is not a commentary on Hodge but, specifically, is directed at this statement by George.
You and 71 others Like this post
John500
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2084
Joined: Jun 29th, 2007, 7:20 am

Re: Is Charlie Really Dying?

Post by John500 »

Way to go Charlie! Again you have my vote!!!! and my friends votes as well.
George+
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 10008
Joined: Oct 10th, 2011, 12:08 pm

Re: Is Charlie Really Dying?

Post by George+ »

Yes but...
Charlie Hodge is quite capable of listening to all political views.
And using them when possible.

That is why you should vote for him.
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 915
Joined: Dec 7th, 2011, 1:20 pm

Re: Is Charlie Really Dying?

Post by nextimeround »

kingsandman wrote:While I don't wish his situation on anyone and do sympathize with him, running for public office is not the right thing to do.
How many missed Council Meetings would play into this? What if the unthinkable happens, then we're faced with a bye election.
I'm sure some will disagree but we went through this with Sindi Hawkins and don't need it again. Focus on your health and enjoying life Charlie and leave public office behind.


Nobody knows what might befall them in regards to their health. Saying that he should not run or wouldn't be a good councilor because he is sick is like saying anyone over 65 should not run, or females who might get pregnant, or people with a family history of any number of illnesses. If you have the will and drive and want to make this a better community (something Charlie has proven over many more years than he's been in public office) then I say go for it.

I wouldn't worry about Charlie missing meetings because he's sick. His admirable track record for attendance during his last term speaks for itself. You should look instead at guys like Blanliel and likely the people he supports if you want to see an atrocious attendance record.
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 915
Joined: Dec 7th, 2011, 1:20 pm

Re: Is Charlie Really Dying?

Post by nextimeround »

LANDM wrote:Why would you vote for someone if you do not hold the same political views?
Btw, this is not a commentary on Hodge but, specifically, is directed at this statement by George.


Actually this is an interesting question. I have found myself getting dragged into mud slinging and seeing negative in most of the candidates running and frankly, in municipal politics anyway, I think we need to elect people more based on character than political affiliation. People like Charlie Hodge have a history of supporting what they believe is in the best interest of the community and in challenging things that they think are short term gain with long term pain associated. There are others out there, in this campaign even, that are like minded. Then there are the ones who clearly have a personal agenda.

For example, it's hard to imagine any human who makes a living off of real estate or development to not be in near constant conflict of interest. Regardless of who you are, as a flawed human you can't help but be bias and make decisions that influence your own personal gain.
User avatar
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 15138
Joined: Nov 24th, 2009, 5:15 pm

Re: Is Charlie Really Dying?

Post by MAPearce »

He is very biased in his opinions and can not see past his agendas


If his opinions and/or agendas work for the betterment of the community , Let him have them AND express them.

The voters will decide the rest.....
I payed attention in High school....But I didn't need too .
User avatar
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 15138
Joined: Nov 24th, 2009, 5:15 pm

Re: Is Charlie Really Dying?

Post by MAPearce »

What I do find stressful is the actual campaign, the rigors of door knocking in cold weather, and the stress of dealing with lies and crap as spewed out by cowards who do not have the intestinal fortitude to put their name behind their opinion or comments.


Mr.Hodge;

I speak in the same tongue. I do NOT hide behind a screen name or pseudonyms.

I admire your intestinal fortitude and you have my vote.

Best of Luck.
Mike A Pearce.
I payed attention in High school....But I didn't need too .
lesliepaul
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2680
Joined: Aug 7th, 2011, 1:56 pm

Re: Is Charlie Really Dying?

Post by lesliepaul »

So it appears some people have a serious issue with someone that smokes pot.......once in a while, monthly.....daily......it doesn't matter to them....they see them as DRUGGIES. To all of you hypocrites I would sooner be in a room full of dope smokers than drunks ANY DAY.

You want to have a drink, go right ahead......but if you want say it is better socially than grass think again. Alcohol l is responsible for family breakups, spousal abuse (both ways), murder, suicide and vehicular homicide, depression and the list goes on but because it is legal your OK with that.

To think that every day when you see an event on in the community and pictures are taken for different papers and magazines everyone is drinking wine, beer or other alcoholic beverages .......my god, hypocrites......what kind of an example are you setting for your children.

DON'T CARE BECAUSE ITS LEGAL RIGHT.

Enjoy yourself Charlie and never apologize..... and have a beer to. Wine here is over priced cat-piss anyway.
Straight Shooter
Board Meister
Posts: 649
Joined: Aug 15th, 2011, 10:21 am

Re: Hodge responds to 'friends' comments

Post by Straight Shooter »

t3r3sa wrote:Hello Forum followers, Charlie Hodge here:
The fact I am willing to spend a large portion of the next four years of whatever time I have left serving my community is not being a ‘martyr’ – simply a testimony to the fact that I love Kelowna and want to try and leave it a better place for my two grand-children and two great grandchildren. .


That fact that he has spent most of his life here and loves Kelowna is another reason why we should vote for Charlie and also for his honesty in clarifying why he decided to run for a four year term.
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 915
Joined: Dec 7th, 2011, 1:20 pm

Re: Is Charlie Really Dying?

Post by nextimeround »

Panzer130 wrote:Charlie,

It is unfortunate that you can not have an open mind to some constructive criticism and have chosen to blame the "Forchange" group for my opinion. I can assure you that I am not member of the group and truly have no connection to it.

If you and a couple others in this forum would bother to read my post, I said I know you personally. I have not said I am a close personal friend, I only said I could not think of a better man to call a friend.

We are associates that have shared some personal experiences together. I have been invited to your home on two occasions. One of those occasions we shared a laugh at the expense of your neighbors in the adjacent hotel that were complaining about the live band in your back yard. Granted, it was only 7:00 or so in the evening, so their complaints were unfair in my opinion.

I watched you on council in the past and feel you are not the best, well rounded person for the position. Social issues you are fantastic for. Growth and business you are not. In my opinion, to be good on council you must be well versed in all parts of a community and be open minded to the affect you have on all community members.



As someone who has known Charlie for 20+ years I can say without hesitation that you are wrong in your evaluation that Charlie is not well versed in pro-business needs or methods. Remember this is municipal politics here, you yourself say "Charlie's a great man" combine that with his experience, extensive knowledge, honesty and forthrightness and you have the best candidate running in my opinion.

BTW - you are selfish, two-faced and chicken *bleep* for wanting to remain anonymous so that you can "hang out" whenever it suits you. You don't deserve to enjoy Charlie's company.

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”