West Kelowna results

Temporary forum for civic elections
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

West Kelowna results

Post by Urbane »

Congratulations to Mayor Findlater on his re-election. Congratulations also to DeJong, Winsby, Ophus, Zanon, Ensign, and Neis on their election to council.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: West Kelowna results

Post by occasional thoughts »

Congratulations to the winners, esp. Mr. Findlater under all the circumstances the voters faced, and Ms. Neis for what she represents and how she has represented us in the past; the result could have been much worse. Democracy has spoken on David Knowles; I'm sorry he had to be shown the door this way. Rusty Ensign has a LOT of baggage; it will be interesting to see how he handles public office.

Alas, this council is not committed to offering the populace a democratic opportunity of say on where we situate our civic centre or whether we even need one right now, and please don't tell me the alternate approval mechanism is democratic. I'm hereby volunteering to help assist in a major push-back if it goes to alternate approval mechanism.
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

Who the heck wanted Rusty Ensign to speak/represent them? Westbunk just went another step into the toilet.
nikonfan
Fledgling

Post by nikonfan »

Wow! More of the same un inspiring leadership as the past 8 years. No one to blame except the non-voters too lazy to vote especially when you had the dismal leadership up for replacement. 4 more years of non action, no imagination on how lure new development down town with tax incentives and very acrimonious relationships with staff, WFN, RDCO, Peachland and Kelowna. More roads re vitalized with the same or lower capacity and probably the most annoying that that smug know it all grin.
guxcon

Post by guxcon »

Have to say that I am most disappointed with the voter turnout, better than 2011 but still nothing for DWK to be proud of. As for the results, somewhat predictable given the low turnout. I do want to commend Stephen for a well run campaign. His youthfulness and inexperience was obviously too much for some voters to overlook but he has given me assurance that the next generations can and will produce some quality leadership. I was one willing to take a risk, maybe in 2018....

As for the council, a bit of surprise about the strong (but not quite strong enough) support for David Knowles. But then with the consistent low voter turnout the same voters will wind up voting for the same familiar names. Thanks for your years of service and hope that the disappointment of not getting back on council is over shadowed by the joys of retirement.

As for the slate of hopefuls, is anyone really surprised that the two most well known names are the ones that in? I saw some glimpses of promise in many of the hopefuls, but with a strong slate of incumbents and only one or two chairs up for grabs it really is a long shot.

We can all take solace in the fact that if the elected leadership and council really are our biggest concern, then we still have it better than 90% of the worlds population!
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

Wow! Doug's wearing a tie on Castanet's home page. That's gotta be a first. One must however assume he still has his socks and sandals on.
mystica
Board Meister

Post by mystica »

Sad Day.....
The scarecrow returns with Rusty Tin Man in tow!

Thank goodness for the return of Dorothy.

So life goes on in OZ
waterwings
Übergod

Post by waterwings »

Hopefully, Dorothy will forget to wear her red scarf and learn the fundamentals of municipal financials before she starts with kitchen table bookkeeping. Sorry Ms. Neis but some of your ideas will go to discussion so everyone can catch you up on the information you forgot to bring to the table and that is a waste of valuable time.

Congratulations to all though!
TRIX
Fledgling

Post by TRIX »

The Tin Man and Dorothy, REALLY. How can they be tied together? Rusty's agenda looks to me to be completely polar opposite to Nies's. I have known Rusty for the better part of 15 years and yes he does carry baggage but who doesn't in one way or another. The fact is that Rusty is a tireless worker and has proven to be fully committed to his community. Rusty on occasion has had troubles staying out of his own way but has never set out to hurt or displace anyone. Rusty's base is in his community and his work ethic in this election has shone thru and born fruit. Rusty's commitment to detail and his communal commitment will do nothing but enhance this council and give a voice back to this great community. I am very proud of what a man like Rusty has done with the hand that he has been dealt. I only hope that he does not get "poisoned" by politics as so many do. We should be supportive and encouraging to our new council and not make inferences to Rusty's chair as the Tin Man's metal shell; you should be ashamed. I wish them all good luck and lets all move fwd positively to make our community the best it can be.
" Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones"
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

I was once a Rusty fan, but I began to lose my fanhood some years ago. Those singing his praises today should remember that if you don't like big government and you don't like public expenditure and you're "irked" about the price tag for Royal LePage Place, blame him, because when the senior governments stepped in with big bucks, rather than putting it to the price of what was being advocated at first, he engineered things to add gargantuan bells and whistles and lots more seats. AND its eventual price tag. Now, I myself don't mind reasonable government and wise public expenditures so I don't hold that against him necessarily, but I didn't like the deceitful way it was done. And that is our brand new member of council.
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

occasional thoughts wrote:I was once a Rusty fan, but I began to lose my fanhood some years ago. Those singing his praises today should remember that if you don't like big government and you don't like public expenditure and you're "irked" about the price tag for Royal LePage Place, blame him, because when the senior governments stepped in with big bucks, rather than putting it to the price of what was being advocated at first, he engineered things to add gargantuan bells and whistles and lots more seats. AND its eventual price tag. Now, I myself don't mind reasonable government and wise public expenditures so I don't hold that against him necessarily, but I didn't like the deceitful way it was done. And that is our brand new member of council.

I was thinking along those lines also but now that it's been said, yes that fiasco is still a sore spot with me. The overrun of expenditures was one thing, but the promise of a multi-use facility that ceased to be an option once the ice was in was the other. The reason it was voted down previously was the fact that it was ice only and nothing for the rest of the non-hockey/figure skating community. I'm not condemning having the ice, but when the funds weren't there to complete the project after the ice was in, then I realized what a sham it was. We were sold a project that cost considerably more and never delivered as promised.
I birn quil I se
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

I should (should not?) maybe add that I marked my ballot for one other name than the two I indirectly revealed above in this thread. Let me just say that I don't think that Mr. Christoff really understands the politics of politics, even minimally. He was virtually invisible (to me at least, and I liked his candidacy) in this election. Too bad. Welcome to nonentitiness, my fellow former Westside Weekly columnist.
mekathy
Übergod

Post by mekathy »

congratulations to Stephen for giving Doug a run for his position. I was hoping to see a better turnout as it seems so many want more for West Kelowna. Little draw here for young families, little to do for the youth and a sad state for downtown Westbank. In the past four years we in west kelowna have achieved fame for the town that can't accept their name and the community that tried to outlaw the icecream truck music. Let's hope these next few years give us more.
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

mekathy wrote:congratulations to Stephen for giving Doug a run for his position. I was hoping to see a better turnout as it seems so many want more for West Kelowna. Little draw here for young families, little to do for the youth and a sad state for downtown Westbank. In the past four years we in west kelowna have achieved fame for the town that can't accept their name and the community that tried to outlaw the icecream truck music. Let's hope these next few years give us more.

Young families are drawn here for the same reasons they would be anywhere else in the Okanagan. I have to chuckle when I hear there is nothing here for youth to do. The Okanagan is an outdoor playground all year round. Water sports, sailing, skiing and boarding, fishing, camping, hiking, mountain biking, golfing, hockey, baseball, soccer, lacrosse, football; want me to go on? Kids that say they are bored and have nothing to do possibly need a bit of guidance from their parents. The ones who think partying is the only form of entertainment can get their fill elsewhere in the valley.

As far as the name goes, there is a small regime that won't let go. This is hardly an issue of any magnitude to our community and there is nothing any mayor could do to appease that particular group.

The ice cream truck music? Really? Maybe if the operator changed his music once in awhile it wouldn't have been so annoying. Regardless, I don't think its demise has had a detrimental effect on our community. Even though I come from that era, I really don't miss it.

With the exception of one council member, I believe we have a very strong team with the experience necessary to lead us through the next four years. We're fortunate we no longer live under the rule of the RDCO, which really were the ones that held us back for so many years. Making headway when that era ended has not been an overnight endeavour. It's obviously not fast enough for some, but it is definitely heading in the right direction.
I birn quil I se
dirtguy
Board Meister

Post by dirtguy »

TRIX wrote:The Tin Man and Dorothy, REALLY. How can they be tied together? Rusty's agenda looks to me to be completely polar opposite to Nies's. I have known Rusty for the better part of 15 years and yes he does carry baggage but who doesn't in one way or another. The fact is that Rusty is a tireless worker and has proven to be fully committed to his community. Rusty on occasion has had troubles staying out of his own way but has never set out to hurt or displace anyone. Rusty's base is in his community and his work ethic in this election has shone thru and born fruit. Rusty's commitment to detail and his communal commitment will do nothing but enhance this council and give a voice back to this great community. I am very proud of what a man like Rusty has done with the hand that he has been dealt. I only hope that he does not get "poisoned" by politics as so many do. We should be supportive and encouraging to our new council and not make inferences to Rusty's chair as the Tin Man's metal shell; you should be ashamed. I wish them all good luck and lets all move fwd positively to make our community the best it can be.
" Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones"

Hi rusty

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”