Repeat after me

Temporary forum for civic elections
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Re: Repeat after ME

Post by MAPearce »

Gilchy wrote:It was a new rule to read the declaration out loud this year. Not sure why it was taken personally...

Never made me do anything like that at Parkinson Rec when I voted ....

I'd be confused as to why also . Don't I look that I know how to vote ?? And asking why should be explained.

WITHOUT any "snerkyness"..It's a valid question that shouldn't be "taken personally" ..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Repeat after me

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

it seems to fly in the face of the idea that one has the 'right' to vote.

making someone jump through hoops is very questionable.
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

Reading and signing the declaration should be enough. Saying it out loud is just silly. Had no idea I would be asked to do that.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

MAPearce wrote:
Never made me do anything like that at Parkinson Rec when I voted ....

I'd be confused as to why also . Don't I look that I know how to vote ?? And asking why should be explained.

WITHOUT any "snerkyness"..It's a valid question that shouldn't be "taken personally" ..

Weird, I voted at Parkinson Rec at the Advance poll and they were making everyone read it out. *i dunno smiley*
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Why is there not a city voter's list?
They have all the tax info and could just add as needed.

Current registration can be easily manipulated if no checking.
Lunerose

Post by Lunerose »

There's no voter list because it's too costly to maintain and too unwieldy a task. As a result of no voter registration, we need to read aloud the declaration that we aren't breaking any rules, etc.

I voted at City Hall on Friday night, and gladly read the declaration aloud as asked, and so did my husband. What's the big deal? It's better than swearing on a bible. Took thirty seconds of my time.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

40 people waited behind me.

Perhaps why we are not getting much of a turn out?
BelieveNothing
Übergod

Post by BelieveNothing »

This inconsistency is no surprise, all voting is an illusion of choice anyway.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I don't understand the OP's attitude. Why not simply read out the script and be done with it?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

Um, because with barely a 30% turnout, they should be making it easier to vote, not harder.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Partmanpartfish wrote:Um, because with barely a 30% turnout, they should be making it easier to vote, not harder.

Exactly.

A surprising number of adults have difficulty reading aloud. A surprising number of adults have difficulty reading at all. And although a few of them have developmental disabilities, this isn't the case for most.

Why should people who have every right to vote have to first do something they find difficult or embarrassing? It's an unnecessary barrier.

The woman who signed us up rattled off the declaration, we agreed, and we were handed our ballots. Quicker and much more sensible than asking every voter to read it aloud.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

rustled wrote:The woman who signed us up rattled off the declaration, we agreed, and we were handed our ballots.

Same here.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Gilchy wrote:It was a new rule to read the declaration out loud this year. Not sure why it was taken personally...

Because we aren't living in the Jim Crow era.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Partmanpartfish wrote:Um, because with barely a 30% turnout, they should be making it easier to vote, not harder.

I agree. But if someone had asked me to read something, I'd do it if I could read it. I would then vote, and then complain, not just walk away.
Last edited by Glacier on Nov 20th, 2014, 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Glacier wrote:I agree. But if someone had asked me to read something, I'd so it if I could read it. I would then vote, and then complain, not just walk away.

People who do not read well or who do not read well aloud are quite likely to be very embarrassed when asked to do so. Their embarrassment will make it even more difficult for them to perform what so many others see as a simple task.

If you showed up to vote as usual and discovered you would first have to humiliate yourself, how would you react?

Would you humiliate yourself in order to vote?
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”