Repeat after me

Temporary forum for civic elections
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Repeat after me

Post by Glacier »

rustled wrote:Would you humiliate yourself in order to vote?

Yes, though I would not be humiliated here. I would simply get the person to read the lines to me, and i would read them back. Ya, if I had a horrible memory or something or had another first language other than English, maybe I'd feel uncomfortable. I'd still vote, and then raise a stink. Raising a fuss first is dumb. Some people feel humiliated by having to show ID, but they still do it to vote, then complain second.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Is this requirement a provincial one or only in Kelowna? I ask because I don't live in Kelowna, and was not asked to read anything out loud prior to being allowed to vote.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Glacier wrote:Yes, though I would not be humiliated here. I would simply get the person to read the lines to me, and i would read them back. Ya, if I had a horrible memory or something or had another first language other than English, maybe I'd feel uncomfortable. I'd still vote, and then raise a stink. Raising a fuss first is dumb. Some people feel humiliated by having to show ID, but they still do it to vote, then complain second.

Something like 30 per cent of working age folk compensate for their lack of reading ability each and every day of their lives, struggling to perform a task the people around them are doing with ease. (Those numbers are much higher in those over 65.)

Advocating for themselves is far more difficult than it would be for you. Your suggestion they should just accept this humiliation and complain about it later trivializes the harsh reality these people live with every single day.

Most people who struggle to read have developed coping strategies to keep their poor reading skills from being found out. Often they rely on someone else to read for them. This is not something they would be expecting at an election. Some may well be able to fake reading after having the declaration read aloud to them once, in public, while under stress. Many won't.

People who for many reasons have not learned to read well are already excluded from many opportunities in life, opportunities the rest of us take for granted. Voting should not be one of them. I think it's important for the rest of us to recognize this. I think it's important to expect our democratic processes NOT to disenfranchise them further.

Merry wrote:Is this requirement a provincial one or only in Kelowna? I ask because I don't live in Kelowna, and was not asked to read anything out loud prior to being allowed to vote.

Sounds like only Kelowna from what we've heard so far.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
delSol97
Board Meister

Post by delSol97 »

Reading and talking out loud in public?

My god how do you people get through the McDonald's lineup?!?!!
delSol97
Board Meister

Post by delSol97 »

rustled wrote:People who for many reasons have not learned to read well are already excluded from many opportunities in life, opportunities the rest of us take for granted. Voting should not be one of them. I think it's important for the rest of us to recognize this. I think it's important to expect our democratic processes NOT to disenfranchise them further.

So how do they read the ballot?

Do they not need someone to help them?

How is this any different than being helped with the declaration.

Seriously ...
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Ah, how you mock. You who can read. You may have no difficulty reading aloud, and think it so ridiculous that others struggle. You mock, when you ought to consider the reality for 30 out of 100 of your neighbours.

This attitude is so unhelpful. And yet it helps illustrate the problem.

Those with the most difficulty reading get through the McDonald's lineup by only ordering something with a picture, or the same thing the person they are with has ordered, or the same thing they've ordered every other time. Those with less severe difficulties look for words they do recognize, and order accordingly. Their selection is limited to what they can suss out. Their opportunities are far more limited than yours. They get out there and do it anyway, and yet you mock.

As to how they would read the ballot: Those with the most difficulty reading would likely have had someone at home help them memorize what the names look like, and the order they're in. Those with less difficulty would be able to recognize the names they are looking for. They were expecting to look for those names on a ballot. They were not expecting to read an unfamiliar string of words aloud.

Instead of mocking, try to understand the bigger issue. Try to walk a mile in their shoes. Ask yourself why they should be asked to do something humiliating in order to vote.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Because it's not humiliating to the vast majority. I do not take lightly the issue of literacy and anyone who has difficulty reading should be allowed a pass and should not be made to feel inadequate.

There are ways to skirt this situation.

To add; I have never been asked to recite any oath or declaration. I have only been asked to read and acknowledge terms and conditions. This is new I think.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Why ask anyone to suck it up and disclose out in public that they can't read well, or that they are terribly uncomfortable reading aloud in public, in order to get a pass and be allowed to vote?

Shouldn't they simply be able to vote as easily as everyone else does?

Why should any election officials be allowed to make this an issue at all? It's a completely unnecessary impediment.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The OP was not asked to read it. He/she could have simply repeated back to the person what it said. Some people are over sensitive these days. If 1/3 of people can't read well, then why be ashamed to be of that category? I'm not a good swimmer, and when I'm with friends who want to swim, I say, "sorry I can't swim." Surprise, it doesn't kill me. Some people need to learn to get off their high horse once in a while, and let their pride take a hit.

I agree that it's a dumb rule, and that it shouldn't have been done, but that's still a really lame excuse for not voting.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

I doubt anyone who struggles to read is on a high horse, Glacier.

A lack of swimming ability isn't a daily impediment to success in life, nor is it something you would fear your peers and employers discovering.
squirt10

Post by squirt10 »

my neice sent in a resume to work for the municipal election at the polling stations ,they asked her to come in for an interview(she had previously worked fo b.c elections) she was given a questionnaire and didnt get hired anyone have any knowledge about this questionnaire?and was this only in Kelowna?
raniculas

Post by raniculas »

im currently not on a high horse "glacier" if that is your real name. I wish I owned a horse. it would probably be a sweet life. going through mcdonalds drive through and ordering him a coka cola.

it weirded me out because I was in line which was right beside the voter tables where you sign up. and like 3 of 10 of the volunteers were making people read out loud. some even made people say a line or two again twice because it was unclear to them what was said....and just by chance or punishment I guess I got sent to one of those 3 volunteers who is doing this.....meanwhile in normal ville...just one table over.. the volunteer asked the guy beside me ...."have you read and agreed on the declaration" voter replies "yes" and everyone goes on there merry way.

I must be getting punished for my past life or somthing

I like consistency or at least rules for voting...not you may do this or may not up to you. I thought the voting process was like a 1,2,3 step program. not step 1a, 1b, may applie to step 2c, only if 3f, isn't answered.

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”