Election is over. Basran, Shephard, Thompson

Temporary forum for civic elections
User avatar
knowledgeisking
Posts: 30
Joined: Sep 26th, 2011, 3:18 pm

Election is over. Basran, Shephard, Thompson

Post by knowledgeisking »

Thompson might or might not have been the most qualified but he obviously didn't resonate with the voters. His letter to the editor shows he doesn't have the leadership skills to be Mayor. PERIOD.

Sharon may have more experience but that doesn't mean she would be a better Mayor than Basran. Time served doesn't always tell the whole story.

Basran might or might not be a terrific Mayor. Lets wait and see what he and council can do.

This whole "anti rich, anti business" "They bought the election" is tiresome. Some of the wealthy who support people like Basran (or Shephard) and groups like For Kelowna are the most wonderful, philanthropic people you will meet. The idea they all have something to be gained financially is laughable. They are already well established in the community with nothing to really gain or lose regardless who is Mayor.

They just have a belief in how the city should progress and have every right to use their resources to get their message out.

just as the not so wealthy do.

Charlie Hodge getting elected shows there is nothing wrong with the system.

I know some people will keep typing from their parents basement complaining about everything. The rest of us...lets get to work.
I'm smarter than you, I'm better looking than you and I probably have way more friends than you. I'm definintely taller than you. Sorry if this makes you uncomfortable.
User avatar
Partmanpartfish
Übergod
Posts: 1775
Joined: Apr 5th, 2014, 4:51 pm

Re: Election is over. Basran, Shephard, Thompsn

Post by Partmanpartfish »

^

You don't get it. The problem with ForKelowna is that these henchmen will dissuade qualified candidates from seeking election in the first place. Because if they don't have the blessings of ForKelowna (or whatever these guys call themselves next time), there's about a 92% chance they're just wasting their time and money.

Hodge is proof the system works? Hodge is proof you have to be dying to get elected in this town if the henchmen don't want you.
Retrosnap
Board Meister
Posts: 453
Joined: Jul 25th, 2006, 7:37 am

Re: Election is over. Basran, Shephard, Thompsn

Post by Retrosnap »

Partmanpartfish wrote:^

You don't get it. The problem with ForKelowna is that these henchmen will dissuade qualified candidates from seeking election in the first place. Because if they don't have the blessings of ForKelowna (or whatever these guys call themselves next time), there's about a 92% chance they're just wasting their time and money.

Hodge is proof the system works? Hodge is proof you have to be dying to get elected in this town if the henchmen don't want you.


Hypocritical, much?

Moneyed henchmen are bad, but union henchmen are not?

The firefighters supported Shepherd. Everybody loves firefighters, but that didn't help. did it?

CUPE, who has more money at their disposal than ForKelowna, sent out a mailing that arrived in my mailbox, endorsing certain council candidates, and they didn't win either.

Dude, let it go, and move over to another forum, and complain about Harper, Big Oil, or whatever floats your boat.
35mm photography is a job, medium format is a skill, large format is a way of life.
lesliepaul
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2675
Joined: Aug 7th, 2011, 1:56 pm

Re: Election is over. Basran, Shephard, Thompsn

Post by lesliepaul »

Partmanpartfish has actually hit the nail on the head. Anyone who has a $100.00 can run for city council. If you have a $1000.00 you can put together a website and some handouts.......$3000.00 - $5000.00 and you can put up signs also. Will this get you noticed? Not when you are up against people putting up possibly 6 figures. So yes, having a group behind certain individuals makes for a very uneven playing field AND will no doubt have an effect on people who have to use their OWN MONEY for a losing proposition.

Remember.....ForKelowna did not appear until well into the campaign so at the start their were no anointed candidates. It did not take long before the "smaller" names had ZERO chance. Will this type of politics affect our future elections?

One more thing......if somebody can throw some light on this. I watch our local Global news at 6:30 everyday and what I noticed THIS week is that Discover Wines in the Orchard Plaza operated and or owned by Tracy Gray is running commercials now during our local news. Is this something she did PRIOR to running for council? It appears that now that her name is on council that she is going to utilize the position to benefit herself in her private life anyway she can. Just an observation but it is nothing new at this level of politics.
User avatar
Tacklewasher
Übergod
Posts: 1374
Joined: Jul 9th, 2008, 6:45 am

Re: Election is over. Basran, Shephard, Thompsn

Post by Tacklewasher »

Partmanpartfish wrote:^

You don't get it. The problem with ForKelowna is that these henchmen will dissuade qualified candidates from seeking election in the first place. Because if they don't have the blessings of ForKelowna (or whatever these guys call themselves next time), there's about a 92% chance they're just wasting their time and money.

Hodge is proof the system works? Hodge is proof you have to be dying to get elected in this town if the henchmen don't want you.

You really don't know what henchmen are, do you?

But seems you like to say it so much...


Henchmen, Henchmen, Henchmen, Henchmen, Henchmen, Henchmen, Henchmen, Henchmen, Henchmen, Henchmen, Henchmen, Henchmen, Henchmen, Henchmen, Henchmen, Henchmen, Henchmen, Henchmen, Henchmen, Henchmen, Henchmen, Henchmen, Henchmen, Henchmen, Henchmen, Henchmen, Henchmen, Henchmen, Henchmen, Henchmen,
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 915
Joined: Dec 7th, 2011, 1:20 pm

Re: Election is over. Basran, Shephard, Thompsn

Post by nextimeround »

knowledgeisking wrote:
This whole "anti rich, anti business" "They bought the election" is tiresome. Some of the wealthy who support people like Basran (or Shephard) and groups like For Kelowna are the most wonderful, philanthropic people you will meet. The idea they all have something to be gained financially is laughable. They are already well established in the community with nothing to really gain or lose regardless who is Mayor.

They just have a belief in how the city should progress and have every right to use their resources to get their message out.

just as the not so wealthy do.

Charlie Hodge getting elected shows there is nothing wrong with the system.

I know some people will keep typing from their parents basement complaining about everything. The rest of us...lets get to work.


Now I've heard it all. This the biggest load of malarkey yet! wonderful philanthropic with nothing to gain? Who do you think you're trying to convince here? Right, they spent all this money to "help" us poor stupid people decide the best candidates out of the sheer goodness of their hearts. That is the most naive statement I've heard on this subject to date. Anything more I have to say to this ridiculous post will surely get removed by the mods.
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 915
Joined: Dec 7th, 2011, 1:20 pm

Re: Election is over. Basran, Shephard, Thompsn

Post by nextimeround »

lesliepaul wrote:Partmanpartfish has actually hit the nail on the head. Anyone who has a $100.00 can run for city council. If you have a $1000.00 you can put together a website and some handouts.......$3000.00 - $5000.00 and you can put up signs also. Will this get you noticed? Not when you are up against people putting up possibly 6 figures. So yes, having a group behind certain individuals makes for a very uneven playing field AND will no doubt have an effect on people who have to use their OWN MONEY for a losing proposition.

Remember.....ForKelowna did not appear until well into the campaign so at the start their were no anointed candidates. It did not take long before the "smaller" names had ZERO chance. Will this type of politics affect our future elections?


Exactly right. But you might as well talk to a brick wall. At least then you'd have a hope of an intelligent response. What's really telling is just how little money it took to buy this election, and the last one. One year's Mayor's salary would likely do the trick. So if a handful of people pool $15K - $20K each they can hand pick who they want to run the city. Sounds like a bargain to me. Hell I don't even have to vote let alone run for council, just throw some money in, leverage my media buddies (or my media business as the case may be) and voila!
User avatar
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 11728
Joined: May 6th, 2009, 10:49 am

Re: Election is over. Basran, Shephard, Thompsn

Post by Rwede »

What's hilarious is, in 4 years' time, the green heads will on be on here moaning and bitching about Basran and henchmen and will use all the same tired lines, while the city comes out relatively unchanged and voters once again choose the same group of people to mayor and council.

You'd think these green head losers would have learned that their BS is rejected by the voters when they failed 4 times in a row to get the NDP into power. They've failed again with the municipal election. And they'll fail again. What they are doing doesn't work.

Something about doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result...
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Retrosnap
Board Meister
Posts: 453
Joined: Jul 25th, 2006, 7:37 am

Re: Election is over. Basran, Shephard, Thompsn

Post by Retrosnap »

nextimeround wrote:
Now I've heard it all. This the biggest load of malarkey yet! wonderful philanthropic with nothing to gain? Who do you think you're trying to convince here? Right, they spent all this money to "help" us poor stupid people decide the best candidates out of the sheer goodness of their hearts. That is the most naive statement I've heard on this subject to date. Anything more I have to say to this ridiculous post will surely get removed by the mods.


The likes of Barry Lapoint of Kelowna Flightcraft have provided decent jobs to more people in Kelowna than most people, no matter what their political stripe, will ever do. A rising tide lifts all boats, whereas the players in the poverty industry have a vested interest in keeping other people disadvantaged.
35mm photography is a job, medium format is a skill, large format is a way of life.
User avatar
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 11728
Joined: May 6th, 2009, 10:49 am

Re: Election is over. Basran, Shephard, Thompsn

Post by Rwede »

^^^ 10/10 on that!
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 915
Joined: Dec 7th, 2011, 1:20 pm

Re: Election is over. Basran, Shephard, Thompsn

Post by nextimeround »

Rwede wrote:What's hilarious is, in 4 years' time, the green heads will on be on here moaning and bitching about Basran and henchmen and will use all the same tired lines, while the city comes out relatively unchanged and voters once again choose the same group of people to mayor and council.

You'd think these green head losers would have learned that their BS is rejected by the voters when they failed 4 times in a row to get the NDP into power. They've failed again with the municipal election. And they'll fail again. What they are doing doesn't work.

Something about doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result...


You just get further from reality with every post. How do you manage to be so far off the truth and yet believe you're so smart? It boggles the mind really. Tell me this then, are you trying to say that the efforts of the FatFriggers had no effect on the outcome of the last election?
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 915
Joined: Dec 7th, 2011, 1:20 pm

Re: Election is over. Basran, Shephard, Thompsn

Post by nextimeround »

Retrosnap wrote:
The likes of Barry Lapoint of Kelowna Flightcraft have provided decent jobs to more people in Kelowna than most people, no matter what their political stripe, will ever do. A rising tide lifts all boats, whereas the players in the poverty industry have a vested interest in keeping other people disadvantaged.


Poverty industry? What are you talking about??? KFC is a great employer, true. So is the company that I am a senior manager at. So are many, many others.

The difference is these other entrepreneurs didn't appoint themselves lord and master of who should be elected. Why even have elections then? Why not just gather the 6 top employers, or perhaps the 6 riches white men and let them pick the council and mayor? This is after all pretty much what has happened here. I'll tell you why we don't do that, because otherwise diversity is NEVER represented.

Let me be clear, I am a successful business person who has lived, worked and paid taxes in the Okanagan for near 40 years. My unhappiness has nothing to do with political affiliation, left, right, center, up or down. I am speaking up this time for the same reasons that I spoke up the last election - because it's WRONG to allow a small number of people to influence the outcome of an election!!! It's a simple concept really.

Any respect I may have had for the members of the removed is gone based on their obvious arrogance that they could and should take the steps that they did. I believe Canadian election laws should be changed to address this obvious issue and will continue to carry the torch and bang my drum until it changes or my days end.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Nov 21st, 2014, 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: name calling removed.
George+
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 10008
Joined: Oct 10th, 2011, 12:08 pm

Re: Election is over. Basran, Shephard, Thompsn

Post by George+ »

I know many people who worked at Flightcraft and have moved on.

Basic wages and no benefits.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2635
Joined: Nov 19th, 2010, 6:51 am

Re: Election is over. Basran, Shephard, Thompsn

Post by Gilchy »

nextimeround wrote:
Poverty industry? What are you talking about??? KFC is a great employer, true. So is the company that I am a senior manager at. So are many, many others.

The difference is these other entrepreneurs didn't appoint themselves lord and master of who should be elected. Why even have elections then? Why not just gather the 6 top employers, or perhaps the 6 riches white men and let them pick the council and mayor? This is after all pretty much what has happened here. I'll tell you why we don't do that, because otherwise diversity is NEVER represented.

Let me be clear, I am a successful business person who has lived, worked and paid taxes in the Okanagan for near 40 years. My unhappiness has nothing to do with political affiliation, left, right, center, up or down. I am speaking up this time for the same reasons that I spoke up the last election - because it's WRONG to allow a small number of people to influence the outcome of an election!!! It's a simple concept really.

Any respect I may have had for the members of the FagGropers is gone based on their obvious arrogance that they could and should take the steps that they did. I believe Canadian election laws should be changed to address this obvious issue and will continue to carry the torch and bang my drum until it changes or my days end.


Offensive language aside, I'm still trying to figure out how it's wrong when business people voice their opinion, but fine if it's a union.
George+
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 10008
Joined: Oct 10th, 2011, 12:08 pm

Re: Election is over. Basran, Shephard, Thompsn

Post by George+ »

From what I saw, the unions supported a range of candidates.

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”