Findlater, Neis, or other?

If you were voting today for whom would you vote for Mayor of West Kelowna?

Doug Findlater
32%
Rosalind Neis
53%
Other
15%

Total votes: 72

Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Findlater, Neis, or other?

Post by Urbane »

If you had to vote for mayor today would you vote for Doug Findlater, Rosalind Neis, or other? If you select other feel free to let us know who that would be.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Re: Findlater, Neis, or other?

Post by Urbane »

It's early and only people on here voting but I note that "other" isn't getting much support and Neis is doing well thus far.

ETA: I suspect there might be a "Historic Westbank" candidate for mayor and perhaps a slate of council candidates. I have no inside info so it's just a hunch. I'm not sure how that would affect the final vote but with vote splitting it could either benefit Neis, with Westbank area votes being siphoned off to the HW candidate, or it might even elect the WH candidate if the Neis and Findlater votes split fairly evenly. The Historic Westbank group seem to have been working quietly behind the scenes and I have a feeling we'll be hearing more from them in due course.
parachute
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by parachute »

Thanks Urbane for pointing us toward the Historic Westbank crowd. I see in the thread “Race for Mayor” that “Apple11” says:

Point A1: Neis has “zero clue”.
Point A: “if SHE got elected she would REJOIN Kelowna ..total lie” (that is an accusation which is false in about 3 aspects but then the author suggests that Neis is the liar!!).
Point B: Neis tried to get Council to apply as a host for a World Junior Hockey tournament but not one Council member would even investigate that possibility. Apple11 gives Neis another sub-par rating for suggesting that West Kelowna try something new. Are we so “poor” or devoid of belief in ourselves that we back away from everything?
Point 3: Neis is accused of starting an illegal business “behind everyones back”. I checked on that and found out that her business license was OKAY the first year but would only be renewed if an expensive below ground sewer hook-up was installed. So again Apple11 is spreading an untruth.
Point 3A: Apple11 dislikes the “nice tight red leather pants” and Finlater’s “socks and sandles”. (Perhaps that should be “Findlater” and “sandals”?). Those are two of the most useless critiques of the political strength of candidates that I ever saw!
Point 3B: Apple11 suggests that both Findlater and Neis are uneducated and have few skills.

My total take on Apple11? I think that post is the start of the Historic Westbank crowd’s campaign to spread innuendo and perhaps outright lies about BOTH Neis and Findlater! We better be ready for a nasty 4 months if my thought is correct!
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

The HW group has been very quiet. When my wife and I attended the DWK open house on June 16 I thought we might see a contingent from HW demonstrating or handing out leaflets. Instead we see "volunteers needed" on an HW sign along the highway so I'm thinking that volunteers are needed for the fall election campaign perhaps. It's certainly their right to run candidates or support candidates but there is a danger that we get sidetracked. The issues (many of them) were right there at the open house and that's what I would like to see the fall campaign about.
Jim Dixon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Jim Dixon »

Urbane wrote:If you had to vote for mayor today would you vote for Doug Findlater, Rosalind Neis, or other? If you select other feel free to let us know who that would be.

You asked about "other" but shouldn't we also give our reasons about the 'other' two?
so.....

I worked on the Gov committee for the full very long four years. Both phases were chaired by Doug. I got to know him quite well as a committee person. We tussled a few times, but he does listen. He does his research first, then pokes his question or opinion out there. He looks first, then leaps, well, in Doug's case, he hops - carefully whicxh is to our benefit.

Though I can't say I know a lot of Neis, I can say I know enough. Too often she shoots from the hip, then looks to see where she was aiming. Yes, she ran the first time on the Join Kelowna banner. Then she turned on her supporters and suggested that it was time to move on as a incorporated municipality. So, she may turn again - that is the prerogative of councilors. People criticize politicians when they change their mind. Except for those that are on council to boost their business, or sleep through most of the 3 years, information changes and so may the councilors opinion/decisions.

At first, I was very concerned that Doug would just go through the motions, heeding his key supporters. But, so far,I think he and one other councilor have done an exceptionally great job. The two have one thing most of the other newbies to the governance of the Westside don't have - a good working and understanding knowledge of the issues affecting the Westside. I don't mean issues like Ms. Busybody groaning that her cat was eaten by a wild creature of the night, or Mr. B complaining about the lack of a sidewalk for him and his poor FooFoo who has to walk on gravel getting her little pawsies dirty, or the lady complaining that her neighbours yard is the reason for the lower home values, or of the more congested paranoids that want to clear-cut the whole Westside in order to prevent a possible fire. None of those. These two that I refer to were awake, studied hard, researched hard, and were awake during the entire governance process and can see the bigger picture.

Not like some that said "I just want to get this over with so I can go home and watch the game", or those that would show up at the meeting, look at the documents in front of them (*for the 1st time) and say "Not more crap to read!" Doug and another had already read it, prepared their comments, and were informed voters. Many would arrive and had not read anything until it was in front of them, and then didn't read that either.

Doug is prepared. He has read the materials, has researched, has asked questions, and is ready to deal with the issue at hand. How many councilors can say they have already read all of the material that is being discussed at council meeting?

My one issue with Neis is, she doesn't look to see what colour the light is. Be it Red, Yellow, or Green, she seems to plow ahead T-boning anything that gets in the way.

Doug is a ex-bureaucrat (retired). He has 4 full years of studying the Westside, missed, I think, only 2 meetings (if that), and is not working 2 or three other jobs, is not busy managing a separate business, and has several years expedience both as councilor and Mayor.

What are the others going to say? Are people going to vote based on what candidates promise to do, or on their history? Speaking of history, too many will vote based on promises, not failed promises, not track record - promises of a fireman on every corner and a free toaster in every kitchen - that's what gets most people elected.

Go back to the first and most recent election. Review their promises, grade em on their ability and past performance - not one what they hide and might do.

I will be voting for 2 people only. If the other's are ousted, maybe next election, I'll vote for more than 2. To me, they have to prove themselves based on their track records - which is why I'll vote for Doug, and one other.

Jim
* Everyone was given electronic copies of docuemnts and supportive research documents well ahead of any meeting. Reading them for the 1st time at any meeting was inexcusable.
WARNING::: Anything you say can and will be taken out of context by many and used against you in a Court of Social Media.
Al Czervic
Guru

Post by Al Czervic »

Jim, regardless of agreeing with you or not (I don’t care much for Findlater) I really wanted to commend you for putting together a thoughtful and constructive post. This is one of the best posts I have come across in years explaining why you support who you support and expressed in a respectful manner. Good on you !
Back with a vengeance
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Al Czervic wrote:Jim, regardless of agreeing with you or not (I don’t care much for Findlater) I really wanted to commend you for putting together a thoughtful and constructive post. This is one of the best posts I have come across in years explaining why you support who you support and expressed in a respectful manner. Good on you !
Well said Al. Jim did put together an excellent post and I'm not surprised by his analysis. My perception is that Findlater takes his job seriously and he is certainly prepared and knowledgeable.
STEELEDEE

Post by STEELEDEE »

If I were voting today and were allowed to vote (don't live in the District of West Kelowna) I would vote for Neis.
Libtech

Post by Libtech »

Neis all the way baby!!!
chrisl

Post by chrisl »

Would Neis even have time?
She already has 2 jobs and her attendance record at council meetings.....well do some research...
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

Read what she said on the election forum/site; she will be resigning or otherwise taking leave of her job if elected to the mayor's post.
westbanker
Fledgling

Post by westbanker »

I'm for Neis! It seems like Findlater just woke up with this land transfer issue. If it wasn't for him popping up for every photo-op, I'd forget he was even here.

that said, I just hope everyone votes ! Don't think just because of what may appear in idle gossip or forums that your choice will get elected because of perceived momentum. You have to vote, and can't hope others will vote in droves for your choice so you don't have to appear and do your deed.

Return to “C.E. West Kelowna”