Ear Candleing

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
agnes60

Ear Candleing

Post by agnes60 »

I have heard from a few different people on ear candling or however it is spelt. Some say it is good, but others say, it hurts and it popped their ear drum.. I would love to hear from anyone who has had it, bad or good. If anyone know of a good reputable ear candler, I would also like to know. Thanks
Big Bacardi
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Ear Candleing

Post by Big Bacardi »

i can get u a tinfoil hat if u want
You may think I'm dumb...But I ain't so smart.....but i am smart enuf to know how to spell corrictley!!!....I sure wish others culd spel. The graamar by other postars truly sux!
strwbrrydvl
Guru

Post by strwbrrydvl »

Big Bacardi wrote:i can get u a tinfoil hat if u want

And what does that have to do with ear candling? :137:

If you find out about somewhere around here that does it agnes, please post. I'm interested too.
Some people develop a wishbone where their backbone should be.
Big Bacardi
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Big Bacardi »

if u would read up on ear candeling...u may understand!
You may think I'm dumb...But I ain't so smart.....but i am smart enuf to know how to spell corrictley!!!....I sure wish others culd spel. The graamar by other postars truly sux!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

From Wikipeadia:

Ear candling, also called ear coning or thermal-auricular therapy, is an alternative medicine practice claimed to improve general health and well-being by lighting one end of a hollow candle and placing the other end in the ear canal. According to medical researchers, it is both dangerous and ineffective. Claims that the practice removes earwax are not supported by any evidence. The claim by one manufacturer that ear candles originated with the Hopi tribe has also been disproven.

A 2007 paper in the journal Canadian Family Physician concludes:
    "Ear candling appears to be popular and is heavily advertised with claims that could seem scientific to lay people. However, its claimed mechanism of action has not been verified, no positive clinical effect has been reliably recorded, and it is associated with considerable risk. No evidence suggests that ear candling is an effective treatment for any condition. On this basis, we believe it can do more harm than good and we recommend that GPs discourage its use."
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
agnes60

Post by agnes60 »

Thank you Glacier for your informative reply. I guess a Q Tip will have to do.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

An ear syringe with warm water and used carefully works well to remove excess ear wax. If it is stuck and dry and icky, there is a simple remedy.

Lay on your side. Use an eye dropper to put a few drops of hydrogen peroxide in your ear canal. Stay there as long as you can stand it. The hydrogen peroxide bubbles, tickles like crazy and loosens the ear wax. Repeat several times if needed. Use the syringe or a cotton swab to remove the goop.

We were advised of the above remedy by our son's paedetrician way, way back.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
kelownalongtime
Board Meister

Post by kelownalongtime »

Nebula wrote:An ear syringe with warm water and used carefully works well to remove excess ear wax. If it is stuck and dry and icky, there is a simple remedy.

Lay on your side. Use an eye dropper to put a few drops of hydrogen peroxide in your ear canal. Stay there as long as you can stand it. The hydrogen peroxide bubbles, tickles like crazy and loosens the ear wax. Repeat several times if needed. Use the syringe or a cotton swab to remove the goop.

We were advised of the above remedy by our son's paedetrician way, way back.

Before attempting this, put ONE drop of olive oil in your ear, 2x a day, for 2 days, flush with copious amounts of warm water on the 3rd day. WARNING, be very careful of the pressure of the water you use. This is best left to a clinic doctor.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Olive oil? I want to get rid of the wax, not make salad.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
kelownalongtime
Board Meister

Post by kelownalongtime »

Nebula wrote:Olive oil? I want to get rid of the wax, not make salad.

Ha ha...Yes, Olive oil. It's all natural, and it softens the wax gently and naturally. It's easy on the ear drum and skin. Thry it on your skin, just stay out of the sun. I won't tell you how to get it off your skin again, then you will really laugh.

Return to “Health”