LPN's

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: LPN's

Post by Queen K »

Home Support Workers or Community Care workers have been dispensing meds from blisterpacks for an awfully long time now. No wonder so many clients think we are "nurses". I correct anyone who says that everytime. And overthecounter meds count too, we have to call the RN to get those approved in the careplan before we just go giving clients what they bought.

I have never seen a system so snobbily stratified as healthcare. LPNs in IH management encounter pressures they don't like to admit.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

Care Aids are presently dispensing most meds in some facilities, with exceptions, such as narcotics.
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

I used to say, any well trained monkey can dispense a med from a blister pack. The trouble is, they (upper management who don't have a clue as to what really goes on in the duties of a care-aide) continue to cut staff and increase responsibility. It will only get worse too. It's why I finally threw my healthcare towel in and said buh bye. It just finally got to me not being able to meet ALL of my residents needs. You couldn't pay me $50 an hour to go back into the system the way it currently is. What the schools teach and what the real world is like once you hit the ground running are very different. Many health care workers end up leaving after the first year because they just can't hack it.

~D
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

shoo wrote:I heard recently that an LPN working for IHA makes $26 per hour with good benefits.

$24 to start, and no benefits as a Casual (on call), which is where everyone starts as.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

CoffeeCanuck wrote:Over the years, and specifically the last 6 years, the LPN scope of practice has greatly increased. I believe (but not positive) that BC is now the only Province where the LPN course is still only one year. Other Provinces have extended the course length from 18-24 months to handle the extra curriculum. It's crazy that BC still has not extended the course length. It's majorly intense and when I was working there, I saw many ill prepared LPN students. It was one of the main factors why I did not pursue upgrading.

BC's program is what they call a "condensed" course. My understanding is that due to the pass rate of BC compared to the rest of the country, they've seen no need to expand the course is it is. However, with the LPN scope in BC soon to mimic that of AB, they're revamping the training program and will have to expand the length of time of the program. There's simply no way to pack any more information into the course they way it currently is.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

Phoenix Within wrote:However, with the LPN scope in BC soon to mimic that of AB, they're revamping the training program and will have to expand the length of time of the program. There's simply no way to pack any more information into the course they way it currently is.

They've been talking about increasing the LPN course length in BC for the last 6 yrs. It will be good when they finally get with the program like the other Provinces.

~D
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

CoffeeCanuck wrote:I used to say, any well trained monkey can dispense a med from a blister pack. The trouble is, they (upper management who don't have a clue as to what really goes on in the duties of a care-aide) continue to cut staff and increase responsibility. It will only get worse too. It's why I finally threw my healthcare towel in and said buh bye. It just finally got to me not being able to meet ALL of my residents needs. You couldn't pay me $50 an hour to go back into the system the way it currently is. What the schools teach and what the real world is like once you hit the ground running are very different. Many health care workers end up leaving after the first year because they just can't hack it.

~D

You never say what your "position" was but I sense a lot of snobbery here. Well trained monkeys? Are you serious? You need an attitude adjustment.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Queen K wrote:
CoffeeCanuck wrote:I used to say, any well trained monkey can dispense a med from a blister pack. The trouble is, they (upper management who don't have a clue as to what really goes on in the duties of a care-aide) continue to cut staff and increase responsibility. It will only get worse too. It's why I finally threw my healthcare towel in and said buh bye. It just finally got to me not being able to meet ALL of my residents needs. You couldn't pay me $50 an hour to go back into the system the way it currently is. What the schools teach and what the real world is like once you hit the ground running are very different. Many health care workers end up leaving after the first year because they just can't hack it.

~D

You never say what your "position" was but I sense a lot of snobbery here. Well trained monkeys? Are you serious? You need an attitude adjustment.

No snobbery involved at all. She was using "well-trained monkeys" as an example of how upper management views what a care-aide does while they continue to cut staff and increase responsibility.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

CoffeeCanuck wrote:They've been talking about increasing the LPN course length in BC for the last 6 yrs. It will be good when they finally get with the program like the other Provinces.

They'll be increasing the course length because they're increasing the scope of practice. Until this point, there was no need to increase the length of the course, due to the high pass rate.
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

Queen K wrote:

~D

Nice Queen. I somehow expected a tad better from you. I am the furthest thing from a snob in my personal life and my work life. How about the next time that you're unsure of what a poster meant, maybe ask them in a nice way?

Thank you one2ohbabe. :)

~D
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I know lots of Nurses, none of them like LPNs, none of the LPNs like the Care Aides.
then again, none of them are Doctors
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

I really do not see a problem in calling people who take meds out of a blister pack to give to patients 'trained monkeys'... family members do it all the time.... ;)
Chill
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Deleted by Trip/Off topic.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

As an RN...oh my...duties are changing.
Do not fall into the the LPN, NA RN fight.
We are all one. :sunshine:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

What is NA?

Return to “Health”