Learn Something New Every Day

A potpourri of off-topics.
strwbrrydvl
Guru

Re: Learn Something New Every Day

Post by strwbrrydvl »

Quinoa is actually a seed, not a grain.
Some people develop a wishbone where their backbone should be.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Isn't grain also a seed? No wait... Google is my friend...

Quinoa ( /ˈkiːnwɑː/ or /kɨˈnoʊ.ə/, Spanish: quinua, from Quechua: kinwa), a species of goosefoot (Chenopodium), is a grain-like crop grown primarily for its edible seeds. It is a pseudocereal rather than a true cereal, or grain, as it is not a member of the grass family. As a chenopod, quinoa is closely related to species such as beets, spinach, and tumbleweeds.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

I learned that if you have a touch screen computer and you are typing, a bug can land on the screen and totally mess things up. Seriously. I have a little moth and he keeps scrolling pages and even hitting other pages behind, just to mess me UP!

Now where'd he go? Gonna have to change the sensitivity on this thing.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Only two horses in United States history have been buried with full military honors.

Comanche (survived the Battle of the Little Bighorn). Died in 1890.

Black Jack (the riderless horse in more than 1,000 Armed Forces Full Honors Funerals (AFFHF), the majority of which were in Arlington National Cemetery). Died February 6, 1976.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Today I learned that Kalamalka Lake gets it's pretty blue and green colour from naturally occurring calcium carbonate (limestone). When the lake warms in summer, calcium carbonate forms crystals that reflect sunlight and create its distinctive colours. When the lake cools, the lake colours change again.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Star Light
Guru

Post by Star Light »

A beaver’s nose has a special inner flap that seals out water when the beaver is submerged. Beavers have a special passage from their nose to their throat which connects to the upper lungs. This lets the beaver chew and breath through the its nose at the same time. Adult beavers can hold their breath under water for 15 minutes.
Life is what happens while we are making plans for tomorrow
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

puree pumpkin ( in the can, just not the pie filling kind, the 100% pure pumpkin) will take care of either diarrhea or constipation in dogs. Worked like a freaking charm!
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
razzledazzle
Lord of the Board

Post by razzledazzle »

This day in History

On Sept. 7, 1964, the controversial "Daisy" commercial, an ad for President Lyndon B. Johnson's election campaign, aired on NBC-TV. (In the spot, footage of a little girl in a meadow plucking the petals of a flower is overtaken by a countdown leading to a nuclear explosion.)

On this date:

In 1533, England's Queen Elizabeth I was born in Greenwich.

In 1825, the Marquis de Lafayette, the French hero of the American Revolution, bade farewell to President John Quincy Adams at the White House.

In 1892, James J. Corbett knocked out John L. Sullivan to win the world heavyweight crown in New Orleans in a fight conducted under the Marquess of Queensberry rules.

In 1907, the British liner RMS Lusitania set out from Liverpool, England, on its maiden voyage, arriving six days later in New York.

In 1936, rock legend Buddy Holly was born Charles Hardin Holley in Lubbock, Texas.

In 1940, Nazi Germany began its eight-month blitz of Britain during World War II with the first air attack on London.

In 1968, feminists protested outside the Miss America pageant in Atlantic City, N.J. (The pageant crown went to Miss Illinois Judith Ford.)

In 1977, the Panama Canal treaties, calling for the U.S. to eventually turn over control of the waterway to Panama, were signed in Washington by President Jimmy Carter and Panamanian leader Omar Torrijos (toh-REE'-hohs).

In 1986, Desmond Tutu was installed as the first black to lead the Anglican Church in southern Africa.

In 1996, rapper Tupac Shakur was shot and mortally wounded on the Las Vegas Strip; he died six days later.

Ten years ago: White House budget chief Mitch Daniels warned top congressional Republicans the Social Security surplus was on track to be tapped for other programs, prompting a hastily called meeting to discuss ways of avoiding that politically perilous scenario. Venus Williams and Serena Williams reached the finals of the U.S. Open, defeating Jennifer Capriati and Martina Hingis respectively, becoming the first sisters to play for a Grand Slam championship in more than 100 years.

Five years ago: British Prime Minister Tony Blair gave in to a fierce revolt in his Labour Party and reluctantly promised to quit within a year. Former Deputy Secretary of State Richard Armitage confirmed he was the source of a leak that had disclosed the identity of CIA employee Valerie Plame, saying he didn't realize Plame's job was covert.

One year ago:
A Chinese fishing trawler and two Japanese patrol boats collided near disputed islands in the East China Sea, further straining relations between Beijing and Tokyo. Lucius Walker, 80, who'd led an annual pilgrimage of aid volunteers to Cuba in defiance of the nearly half century U.S. trade embargo, died in New York.

Today's Birthdays: Sen. Daniel Inouye (in-OH'-way), D-Hawaii, is 87. Jazz musician Sonny Rollins is 81. Actor Bruce Gray is 75. Singer Alfa Anderson (Chic) is 65. Actress Susan Blakely is 63. Singer Gloria Gaynor is 62. Rock singer Chrissie Hynde (The Pretenders) is 60. Actress Julie Kavner is 60. Rock musician Benmont Tench (Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers) is 58. Actor Corbin Bernsen is 57. Actor Michael Emerson (TV: "Lost") is 57. Pianist Michael Feinstein is 55. Singer Margot Chapman is 54. Actor W. Earl Brown is 48. Actor Toby Jones is 45. Model-actress Angie Everhart is 42. Actress Diane Farr is 42. Actress Monique Gabriela Curnen is 41. Actor Tom Everett Scott is 41. Rock musician Chad Sexton (311) is 41. Actress Shannon Elizabeth is 38. Actor Oliver Hudson is 35. Actor Devon Sawa (SAH'-wuh) is 33. Singer-musician Wes Willis (Rush of Fools) is 25. Actress Evan Rachel Wood is 24.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

normaM wrote:puree pumpkin ( in the can, just not the pie filling kind, the 100% pure pumpkin) will take care of either diarrhea or constipation in dogs. Worked like a freaking charm!

It also helps people and is good for diabetics, Not with the pie crust of course. I have used it on my pets before and my moms cat. Great stuff.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
AllthatFunk
Board Meister

Post by AllthatFunk »

Roadster wrote:
normaM wrote:puree pumpkin ( in the can, just not the pie filling kind, the 100% pure pumpkin) will take care of either diarrhea or constipation in dogs. Worked like a freaking charm!

It also helps people and is good for diabetics, Not with the pie crust of course. I have used it on my pets before and my moms cat. Great stuff.

How does it help diabetics?
I'd rather live with regrets than regret not living.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I learned tonight that pickles can play ping pong! Who knew, eh???
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Ljjumbles wrote:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2007/Jul ... fects.html
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
AllthatFunk
Board Meister

Post by AllthatFunk »

Bsuds wrote:
Ljjumbles wrote:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2007/Jul ... fects.html

Thanks Bsuds..that's very interesting.
I'd rather live with regrets than regret not living.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Ya but too bad I'm not fussy on Pumpkin and am Diabetic. :137:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I like it, but this stuff was bland easy to digest. $6.00 a can beats a trip to the Vet's ( or cleaning up an accident lol, sorry overshare)
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second

Return to “Grab Bag”