Walter Gray makes it official

cooper

Walter Gray considering running for Mayor

Post by cooper »

thought I'd start a poll to bounce Walter Gray off the fence of considering the Mayors seat once again, from the front page of Castanet Walter is mulling it over once again, IMO this is very good news for Kelowna, a strong effective leader and someone who did well for the city as Mayor enclosed is a poll to see what everyones thoughts are to this
mechanic_virus
Lord of the Board

Re: Walter Gray considering running for Mayor

Post by mechanic_virus »

To clarify, I have no problem with him running for mayor. It's the possibility of him *being* mayor that has me concerned.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
cooper

Post by cooper »

we all have opinions and thats what makes this great, IMO Walter is exactley whats needed back in Kelowna, a strong effective leader and a leader that has a strong voice and a great deal of passion for the city of Kelowna, I'm not saying Sharon Shephard has been ineffective but she has not had the voice for Kelowna that Walter has had in the past or the leadership, either way Mr Gray considering the race again and the top seat is positive for all candidates to raise the bar and standards from what weve had in the past 6 years
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

I think that would get more voters to the polls. A strong candidate.
F23

Post by F23 »

I am pretty sure Walter was not a strong, effective leader of Kelowna- he was pure business, very narrow-minded, and had a surprisingly poor work ethic- sending councillors to functions he didn't consider important and basing decisions on what others told him to do.

The business community is just scared because they do not own the current council- it is the most even left/right it's been in a very long time and not everything gets passed through like it did under Gray and the old boys club. And Gray really is that- his mindset and views on the community are very old school and I would hope we have progressed passed that. We are finally starting to have some diversity in the community with the addition of UBC-O, the med. school, etc. and I want that to continue- and I would hope every person in the community feels as though they are being represented by mayor and council- not just the one segment Gray is looking to serve.
mechanic_virus
Lord of the Board

Post by mechanic_virus »

cooper wrote:...but she has not had the voice for Kelowna that Walter has had in the past

Oh yeah. The voice. The voice that should speak on behalf of all of our residents, but instead spoke words that caused division. And caused him to be found guilty of discrimination in a human rights tribunal. "I cannot support their lifestyle through a proclamation." "I am very worried we are actually advertising the practices associated with gays and lesbians as kind of acceptable and cool and we shouldn't be doing that."

And then there is Pastor Tim Schroeder, who is also rumoured to run. From http://www.canadianchristianity.com/cgi ... 0797/pride:
"Pastor Tim Schroeder of Trinity Baptist Church agrees with Laurie that homosexual relationships are clearly sinful."
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
happy1

Post by happy1 »

I was very happy to see the news this morning that Walter Gray is contemplating another "run for Mayor." Last election many people were commenting on the lack of competition for Mayor Shepherd, and I feel this would definitely get more interest generated in the election, (which in my opinion, is never a bad thing.)

:nyah:
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I would vote for Gray. I would vote for Shroeder (heard a rumour he may run). Heck I would even vote for Kim. I have never and will never vote for Sharon. She is very nice. She is meek. She is not a leader. We need a leader to take charge.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr. Personality »

I don't like Sheppard, but Kelowna has grown with her in office. Something it really didn't seem to do under Gray.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Mr. Personality wrote:I don't like Sheppard, but Kelowna has grown with her in office. Something it really didn't seem to do under Gray.

Grown with her in office HOW? Someone needs to dig up that list of companies that are defunct or left Kelowna . . . manufacturing is dying here.

Sharon's legacy is overpriced "art" and warm fuzzy feelings. I can do without that, thanks.
I haven't failed until I quit.
hereiamagain
Übergod

Post by hereiamagain »

mechanic_virus wrote:To clarify, I have no problem with him running for mayor. It's the possibility of him *being* mayor that has me concerned.

Agreed.

And also agreed to the more candidates will gather more interest in the elections.
I shot the sheriff, but I did not shoot the deputy.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Quite frankly, I have had more than enough of allowing the developers to rule the city as they did when Walter was mayor. Those days of affluence in the construction industry are done. Kelowna looked good then - not because of anything he did but in spite of it. If he was Mayor now, he would be in an entirely different position. The economy has changed - and changed dramatically.

I also did not like his bias against the gay/lesbian community. He lacks tolerance for folks who don't follow his own brand of thinking.

There's something kinda sad about a 70-year-old has-been ... but I am fairly sure he still has some of his "good ol' boys" left in city hall. That's what scares the bezeezuz outta me.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
stereomusic

Post by stereomusic »

All I know is if Gray gets in again, we're moving. I have no desire to raise my kids in a place only supportive of older, wealthy, straight, white people.
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

mechanic_virus wrote:
cooper wrote:...but she has not had the voice for Kelowna that Walter has had in the past

Oh yeah. The voice. The voice that should speak on behalf of all of our residents, but instead spoke words that caused division. And caused him to be found guilty of discrimination in a human rights tribunal. "I cannot support their lifestyle through a proclamation." "I am very worried we are actually advertising the practices associated with gays and lesbians as kind of acceptable and cool and we shouldn't be doing that."

And then there is Pastor Tim Schroeder, who is also rumoured to run. From http://www.canadianchristianity.com/cgi ... 0797/pride:
"Pastor Tim Schroeder of Trinity Baptist Church agrees with Laurie that homosexual relationships are clearly sinful."

Bang on and thanks for saying what I was about too. I think the majority of people making comments here really don't have a clue what it takes to run a city like Kelowna. So often Sheppard is lambasted for things completely out of her control, frankly out of council’s control. The fact the Kelowna is in the province of BC and the country of Canada, both the province and the feds have a lot of to say about what goes on here re: infrastructures and such. No, have a look around and see how much this council has accomplished while Sheppard held the seat. Our city is vastly improved for the average citizen and in many areas that affect our quality of life.
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr. Personality »

Lady tehMa wrote:
Mr. Personality wrote:I don't like Sheppard, but Kelowna has grown with her in office. Something it really didn't seem to do under Gray.

Grown with her in office HOW? Someone needs to dig up that list of companies that are defunct or left Kelowna . . . manufacturing is dying here.

Sharon's legacy is overpriced "art" and warm fuzzy feelings. I can do without that, thanks.

Gray never did anything, because he didn't have to. Kelowna was basically stagnant the entire time he was in office.
Companies have left, sure, but the city itself, as an entity, grew up from a small little lake town to almost an actual city.

Return to “C.E. Kelowna”