2011 Municipal Election for City Council and School Board

Dayleen
Board Meister

Re: 2011 Municipal Election for City Council and School Boar

Post by Dayleen »

Gramma Freddy for Mayor!! Seriously..if you haven't considered it, maybe you should.
mountainmama
Fledgling

Post by mountainmama »

:nyah: I'd vote for Gramma Freddy. I would not consider voting for the preacher. He has his calling, and it conflicts with politics. With GF we see some thought, honesty and integrity put into the design and workings of this city. :rate10:
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

:127: People sure love to throw that whole "church and state" thing out there. I wonder how many actually know the context for it?

The concept of separation of church and state refers to the distance in the relationship between organized religion and the nation state. The term is an offshoot of the phrase, "wall of separation between church and state," as written in Thomas Jefferson's letter to the Danbury Baptists Association in 1802. The original text reads: "...I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church & State."

It was originally stated in order to protect religion, not the other way around. After all, America was populated by people who didn't want to be told how they had to worship . . .

Anyway. I would vote for Shroeder because he is successfully running one of the largest churches in Kelowna. Their outreaches are many, and not pushy at all. I would rather have a person in office who actually has a known set of values, and can be held accountable to them, than an unknown quantity. As a Christian he is to "love your neighbour as yourself". He is to put others before himself. He is voluntarily holding himself to a higher code of behaviour than most of secular society. I believe he is successful because he isn't like the televangelists who "do as I say, and not as I do". If he is actually walking the walk, then I'd vote for him.

I think to not vote for him based on the fact he is a Christian, is to be as discriminatory as to not vote for someone because they were Muslim or Jewish; or because they were ethnic or female or homosexual. People are people. We need to look at the quality of character, and go from there.

Edit: I hate spelling errors >.<
Last edited by Lady tehMa on Aug 27th, 2011, 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
I haven't failed until I quit.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

@ Dayleen and montainmama ... I thought you guys liked me :200: Thanks for the votes, though *hugz* It isn't about to happen. Besides, if I was mayor, I couldn't come on here and whack anyone with my rolling pin.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
hereiamagain
Übergod

Post by hereiamagain »

As a Christian he is to "love your neighbour as yourself". He is to put others before himself.

As a Christian, he has already said LGBT is sinful - if others are to be believed.

Those kinds of opinions and judgements on our fellow man are not welcome in the political sphere. Would he be able to hold himself back? Would he have been able to make the proclamation for Pride Day with no problem?

As a Christian - if you want to label him so, and it appears you do, in your post you were exemplify his being Christian as hugely valuable and a benefit to Kelowna - he has already made judgements on what is right and what is wrong... and while that is just fine in a church setting, and imho expected, again it has no place in politics.

In politics, he will have no option but to be objective and withhold his opinions, how would his congregation feel about that....?

imho He should stay in his pulpit. He does a terrific job in his sphere - to step out of that would be disastrous for all. And if he does want to run for council, he should do councilor first, to see if he can even handle a chair in the room.

I still suspect those who run for mayor before having a seat on council and I don't think they take the mayor chair very seriously, that they can walk in to the top job without any ...."on the job training."
I shot the sheriff, but I did not shoot the deputy.
dudlee
Übergod

Post by dudlee »

Other Lower Mainland mayors' salaries:
Vancouver: $140,000.
Coquitlam: $118,945.
Surrey: $115,178.
Burnaby: $114,031.
Richmond: $106,967.
Delta: $100,525.
City of North Vancouver: $100,004.
Port Coquitlam: $85,418.
Port Moody: $69,114.
West Vancouver: $65,000
All the above deal with a hell of a lot more issues and are responsible for a hell of a lot more people than Kelowna has , and the mayor her makes $90,000 + per year , discussing Bunnies and Dog Parks . Councillors make in the $30,ooo range and the mayors wages should go back by atleast 30% for having to deal with way less populous than the above mayors
"A lie stated over a long enough period of time, becomes the truth" Adolf Hitler. But I say , "A half truth is a lie and there is always two sides to a story, but only one truth"
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

dudlee wrote:Other Lower Mainland mayors' salaries:
Vancouver: $140,000.
Coquitlam: $118,945.
Surrey: $115,178.
Burnaby: $114,031.
Richmond: $106,967.
Delta: $100,525.
City of North Vancouver: $100,004.
Port Coquitlam: $85,418.
Port Moody: $69,114.
West Vancouver: $65,000
All the above deal with a hell of a lot more issues and are responsible for a hell of a lot more people than Kelowna has , and the mayor her makes $90,000 + per year , discussing Bunnies and Dog Parks . Councillors make in the $30,ooo range and the mayors wages should go back by atleast 30% for having to deal with way less populous than the above mayors

There are two components to what municipal elected reps are "paid". Have you researched both components and what do these figures you posted represent?

Your statement, "discussing Bunnies and Dog Parks" is just plain ignorant.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
shrory
Fledgling

Post by shrory »

She is joining the race, she will win the race, she is the one with integrity, honesty, and principles, she is the one with her pulse on local issues, she is the one who people trust in the city, she is the one who should (will) be on city council, and she is coming and she will win.

Do not create multiple copies of the same thread or post.

Return to “C.E. Kelowna”