Fledgling

Cal for Mayor

Post by beachwear »

You matter.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Cal for Mayor

Post by grammafreddy »

I'll bite. Who is Cal and for mayor of what place?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
beachwear
Fledgling

Post by beachwear »

Good questions. Cal (myself) is Cal Condy, 53 years old, Married with 3 Kids, and I'm running for Mayor of Kelowna. I have a strong tendency towards doing the right thing, using common sense and figuring things out. I'll be happy to try and answer any questions you may have.

Thanks
Gramps60

Post by Gramps60 »

Bio
Qualifications
Where do you live?
What have you done in Kelowna?
If you’re serious these need answers Quickly
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Oh boy. Have you got a website set up for yourself?

Platform?

Objectives?

Funding?

Priorities?

Occupation?

Education?

And you should have registered with your own name.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

beachwear
Fledgling

Post by beachwear »

Hi Grandma Freddy,

More great questions. Doing this has been a learning curve.

I'm running for Mayor because I want to do something important. I'm running for Mayor because I can't understand why we don't do smart simple things...and why we do, do stupid things. I'm running for Mayor because I think it's the people who should decide the issues.

Here's my best answers for your questions

- Sorry but I don't have a website (yet) but I'm hoping I can convince my kids to put one together for me.

- My platform is the better judgement of the you guys. I would like to have a simple "Mayors" survey posted in the Newspaper (or online) asking the public their opinion of key issues. I think the Majority of the people are the best judge of the issues, and they should be decided accordingly.

- My objectives are common sense. Examples: Common sense says that the City Council shouldn't be the ones who vote on how much they get paid. Common sense says that the City shouldn't of hired a firm to "cull" the bunnies who resided on our parks and boulevards.(I had a hard time explaining that to my kids.) Probably not the best PR move. Common sense says you don't put a HOV lane on the left side of the road in the middle of a city. (I know that was a Provincial idea, but perhaps a letter (or several letters) from the Mayor explaining how much the "Voters" of Kelowna are unhappy with it might help.

- Funding? - So far I'm self funded...I think you call that grass roots. But it hasn't cost much. So far you're my advertising (I think I've gotten 47 views) but I'm hoping the message will catch on and people will like what I have to say.

-Priorities? That's up to you guys...What do you think is important? I've got opinions like the next guy (or Gal), but it's more about what the Majority wants.

- Occupation? I moved to Kelowna 10 years ago from Vancouver because I love the place. In Vancouver I had a retail Store selling new & used Computers. That experience taught me a lot about dealing with just about everybody. Customers...employees...Landlords...and the Government. I have read numerous books on how to succeed and just be better. When we moved to Kelowna in 2001, we had the good fortune of selling our Vancouver home and having enough to buy 3 homes in Kelowna. Our timing was good as the market went up quite a bit since then and we've been using the increased equity in the houses to live on since then. I've kept myself quite busy renovating, fixing and repairing them since then.

Education - I was schooled in Winnipeg, completed my grade 12 and spent a year in Red River Community College in the Sales and Marketing program. I've run my own businesses since 1984, and I don't know if there's a better education than that.

Thanks again for your great questions Grandma Freddy. I look forward to talking with you again.

(PS - Sorry about not registering correctly - It's my first time on a forum and I'm not too sure of what I'm doing)
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

goseecal1 wrote:(PS - Sorry about not registering correctly - It's my first time on a forum and I'm not too sure of what I'm doing)

Contact Jo by PM (private messaging) and ask for a name change. As it is now, it looks like you are hiding behind a phony name.

And you're right - you have a helluva learning curve ahead of you. You just have no idea how big a curve YET.

Contact Phil Johnson at AM1150 and get some time on air with him interviewing you.

Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

That's an interesting platform - "You tell me what to do, and I'll do it!".

Don't you have some priorities of your own, some sort of vision, goals, etc?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

grammafreddy wrote:Contact Jo by PM (private messaging) and ask for a name change. As it is now, it looks like you are hiding behind a phony name.

you dont need to bug Jo, you can change the username you use by

1. click on "user control panel"
2. select "Profile"
3. select "edit account settings"
4. where it says "username:" retype your username to something else
5. press "submit" button
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Thanks, Logi - I didn't know that.

beachwear
Fledgling

Post by beachwear »

Hey...Thanks...I've taken your advice and changed my user name, hope that works better.

As far as my own idea's...I can tell you what I like and what I don't like...

The Ceder Park Development Project. I attended several of the meetings regarding this project, which in short calls for a commercial Development on 9 City owned lake properties on Abbott & Cedar. I can can tell you 2 things about it.

1. The vast majority of the people who attended the meetings are dead set agaist it and strongly believe that it should be a Park. (I believe it should be a park as well.)

2. Based on the questions asked by the council...they think it should be a Development.

As far as myself...I think that the common sense, and the will of the People should be followed. We know that the Lake should be a place for Parks and open spaces to be enjoyed by all. It's really not that complicated.

The "Bunny" decision.

I know I'm going back a little on this one but I'm still choked about it. How the Council could decide to hire a firm to "Cull" the bunnies still escapes me. I know they had to be dealt with, and thankfully TRACS stepped in...but...why kill them? Why not just take them out to one of the ponds along the Coq and set them free. They're wild animals...let let survive or not survive on their own. At least give them a chance. I know if I was a bunny I would of taken that offer.

The Alternative Approval Process

In my opinion this is a real stinker and should be abolished. I know its a provincial "idea" but that doesn't mean that the Mayor can't complain loud and clear about it! We all know they do this because they know the majority of those affected would not approve of whatever it is "they" want approve. To me that's totally unfair. I say put the issue to a fair vote and let the Majority decide.

The HOV lanes

Bad idea...and the majority knows it. Another Provincially mandated "idea" but...If I were Mayor I would be sending multiple letters to the Liberals in power telling them that the "VOTERS" in Kelowna don't like them. I'm thinking they'd probably get the message.

You matter.

Thanks for listening!

Cal
marooned
Board Meister

Post by marooned »

I love Cal! However, I think you are answering too many questions with answers rather than questions. Can you try to turn more answers back to those who ask them, but in a rephrased question? That would really punch up the entertainment value of this thread.

Thanks!

PS: I just made a Vote for Cal button.
godfatherI

Post by godfatherI »

Well I have no idea who Cal is, but he is the first person that has brought up the Alternate Approval Process. This is so much like negative billing - other cities have gone to referendum on major items - wish we could. If some of it was included for a vote at election time, maybe the voter turnout would be better.

Penticton had a referendum on the jail and didn't they also hold one on their rec centre? (correct me if I have that wrong)
Pretty sure they were deciding on an outlay way less than our $40 million H20 pool which was another AAP.

I see on the City website another alternate approval to borrow 7 milion for improvements (electrical and I think water filtration). It's on the City website. These may be valid, needed expenditures, but we're talking millions here - how will that be paid back and over how long?

It would be interesting to see how the other candidates (incumbents and challengers) stand on the AAP. Will be checking things out over the next little while. Hopefully it will be a question asked of all the candidates at some point.
Bestside
Guru

Post by Bestside »

calcondy wrote:Hi Grandma Freddy,

Common sense says you don't put a HOV lane on the left side of the road in the middle of a city. (I know that was a Provincial idea, but perhaps a letter (or several letters) from the Mayor explaining how much the "Voters" of Kelowna are unhappy with it might help.

Last time I looked the HOV was the right lane... not the left.
"Conservatives have whipped themselves into spasms of outrage and despair that block all strategic thinking" - David Frum
beachwear
Fledgling

Post by beachwear »

Hi,

Cal again here. Thanks for your reply's. (where can I get one of those buttons?) I gotta tell you...up until about 4 this morning I've been really struggling to figure out exactly what my platform is. I been sorta blabbering on about what my opinions are and what I like and don't like but not really too much about what I stand for as a Candidate for Mayor. I mean...what am I going to bring to this job that's different? But, at around 4 this morning...it hit me. FUN....My Platform is fun. There, I said it. Good old fashioned fun. Think about it for a sec...I mean...let's take the CD 21 Zone for example...we've spent over 10 years and done up 21 different plans to try and figure out what to do with Downtown. That's 21 PLANS...do you have any idea how much it costs for the City to make up even just 1 plan? I don't, but I'm sure it's not cheap! A lot of serious people have spent a lot of serious time coming up with serious plans for this plan...and we still don't got a good one that everybody likes. But think about it...what do we want to accomplish?...We want to make our Downtown more FUN. And when we make the downtown more fun..more people will want to live there because it's fun. And more businesess will want to go there because there's more people there to spend money to have fun...and...it's fun making money. So I'm just saying, let's take a look at the CD 21 Plan from a FUN perspective...put more fun stuff in the plans...somebody mentioned a Market Garden...those are fun! Things just seem to happen when you're having fun?

I mean...when you think about it, Kelowna;s #1 job is really to have fun....Fun at the Beaches...Fun at the Ski Hills...Fun at the Wineries...Fun at the Golf courses...fun at Scandia.

Don't get me wrong...I can be serious if need be...and I'm pretty good at figuring out creative solutions to problems...but that doesn't mean that finding creative and fun solutions isn't rewarding...Just look at Disneyland and Club Penquin.

Sorry...I'm kinda going on here, but this is fun...Here's another one...what is Kelowna's #1 Industry?...Tourism...and why do thousands of Tourists come to Kelowna...to have fun...Sooooo...how can we make it more fun? I mean...we're the home of the Ogpogo for Pete's sake. What about having a contest (everybody's invited) to create renderings... Paintings, sculptures, paper mache's etc., depicting their own versions of what the Ogopogo really looks like...then we could display the best (and worst) throughout the city. For a comparable, just look at Drumheller and their Dinosaur statues.

So there you have it...These are just some of the things I came up with between 4 & 6 this morning, But, if I were Mayor I would 1st try to get rid of the unfair & dumb problems...(HOV, Alternative approval etc) then I'll always be looking for more ways to have fun.

Thanks,

Cal

Return to “C.E. Kelowna”