Regional election sub-forums really needed?

Local election discussion.
forumdoug
Übergod

Regional election sub-forums really needed?

Post by forumdoug »

Hi Jo & team,

I noticed that the "Civic Election 2011" forum has been re-organized into what appears to be an excessive array of regional "sub-forums". Given the low number of threads and the fact that all but one of them exist in the new Kelowna sub-forum, I question whether the new sub-forums are the right approach? Honestly, I don't think it serves anything other than lessen visitor usability and increase the number of click-thrus & pageviews - unless maybe that's part of Castanet's plan to increase the pageviews on web analytics platforms like Compete, Alexa and others?

If there was a huge groundswell of posts concerning other municipalities elections, then I'd be supportive of these so-called regional sub-forums. However, there isn't. Even West Kelowna and Vernon, two of the largest municipalities in the Okanagan, do not have any posts.

If it was felt sub-forums were needed, a better idea would be to organize them not by region or municipality but by election type. For example, have one forum all City Council election threads, one for School Board threads and one for Referendums or Special Levies (if applicable).

Cheers,
Doug
Jo
Slot 16

Re: Regional election sub-forums really needed?

Post by Jo »

It's early into the game. Activity will increase soon enough.

Your post does prove that you can't please everybody. I've had the following complaints:

1. We should have an election forum.

2. We shouldn't have an election forum.

3. We should have categories for the different regions.

and now yours

4. We shouldn't have categories for the different regions.

So in the end, all I can say is: We do have it set up this way, and it is based on what has worked in the past.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

And, of course, everyone is quite at liberty to get their own website and forum and then they can do it their own way.

And pay for it themselves, too.

And sort out all the spamming and hacking issues, too. :127:
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

I was wondering what that thumping sound was earlier... Apparently it was Jo's head hitting her desk, repeatedly.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

Very perceptive, Nebula.
wthwyt
Lord of the Board

Post by wthwyt »

Nebula wrote:I was wondering what that thumping sound was earlier... Apparently it was Jo's head hitting her desk, repeatedly.

Jo wrote:Very perceptive, Nebula.

Be careful Jo, this action could cause a concussion. Symptoms are as follows:
Fatigue
Nausea
Tired
Vomiting
Confusion
Seizures
General Weakness
Ringing In Ears
Memory Loss
Loss of Consciousness
Irritable Mood
Drowsiness
Abnormal coordination
Grand Mal Seizure
Unsteady Gait
Problem Behavior
Gait Abnormality
Hard to Awaken
Different Size Pupils
Disturbed Sleep Pattern
Walking Disability
Depression
Headache
Bruises
High Blood Pressure
Black Eye
Muscle Weakness
Depressed Mood
Increase In Blood Pressure
Unable to Concentrate
Frontal Headache
Ecchymosis
Irregular Eye Movements
Unable to Think Clearly
Ataxia
Uncontrolled Eye Movements
Abnormal Sense of Taste
Unable to Control Emotions

Which could all be misdiagnose due to many of these same symptoms are similar to one suffering from Forum Administrator.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Maybe if more posters would read the rules and follow them jo's job would be much easier.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
forumdoug
Übergod

Post by forumdoug »

Bsuds wrote:Maybe if more posters would read the rules and follow them jo's job would be much easier.

That's partially my point, actually. Have too many sub-forums may create a "nesting overload" and cause people to post in the incorrect forum, further increasing the need for moderators to move it to the 'correct' forum. ;)

Cheers,
Doug
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

We were all used to it the last two elections. People will get used to it this election.

As for your comment about Castanet trying to boost its pageviews, do you realize how many freakin' pageviews this website gets? A few hundred more because of well organized election subforums for two months isn't going to amount to a hill of beans.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

forumdoug wrote:
Bsuds wrote:Maybe if more posters would read the rules and follow them jo's job would be much easier.

That's partially my point, actually. Have too many sub-forums may create a "nesting overload" and cause people to post in the incorrect forum, further increasing the need for moderators to move it to the 'correct' forum. ;)

Cheers,
Doug

How much money you got? Buy the site and then you get to make the rules. Until then ................... :127:
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

Return to “Civic Election 2011”