Promise of Return of the Old Logo

Ali Gator
Generalissimo Postalot

Promise of Return of the Old Logo

Post by Ali Gator »

I like the platform that Shane Herrington is running on.... bring back the old logo. Just wonder what the cost of that would be. I still can't beleive that we have some spirograph symbol as our logo instead of the sails!
http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/65 ... r-old-logo
WhatThe

Re: Promise of Return of the Old Logo

Post by WhatThe »

Yes, let's look backwards instead of forward. We spent the money and to go back to the old one would mean we wasted it for nothing. What is wrong with people?
And that's what's important to this person? Logos? Some people need to be slapped.
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

I'd vote for whoever could bring back the Willow Inn!
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
jhill

Post by jhill »

Ali Gator wrote:I like the platform that Shane Herrington is running on.... bring back the old logo. Just wonder what the cost of that would be. I still can't beleive that we have some spirograph symbol as our logo instead of the sails!
http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/65 ... r-old-logo

That has to be the Dumbest thing to do... Yes lets waste money and go back to clip art cut out picture of the sails, that will represents progress and innovation. better yet I bet either you or Shane could probably hand draw it, that would be a hit.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Let's change Kelowna slogan too.

"Kelowna. Screw future, let's move backwards"

or

"Kelowna. You'll enjoy being stuck in the past"
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

WhatThe wrote:Yes, let's look backwards instead of forward. We spent the money and to go back to the old one would mean we wasted it for nothing. What is wrong with people?
And that's what's important to this person? Logos? Some people need to be slapped.

Just because we've gone forward does NOT mean it was an improvement. The logo was money flushed down the drain as it is, the logo can be found elsewhere on the web earlier than was offered (and not by the person the city bought it from), was not offered to tender and is quite frankly, a nonsense. I would favour going back to the Sails, it means something.

What is "wrong" with him is that he is actually listening to people, and trying to determine what is important to them. He has my vote. Maybe his catch phrase could be "What was once screwed up can be fixed".
I haven't failed until I quit.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Lady tehMa wrote:
WhatThe wrote:Yes, let's look backwards instead of forward. We spent the money and to go back to the old one would mean we wasted it for nothing. What is wrong with people?

Just because we've gone forward does NOT mean it was an improvement. The logo was money flushed down the drain as it is, the logo can be found elsewhere on the web earlier than was offered (and not by the person the city bought it from), was not offered to tender and is quite frankly, a nonsense. I would favour going back to the Sails, it means something.

What is "wrong" with him is that he is actually listening to people, and trying to determine what is important to them. He has my vote. Maybe his catch phrase could be "What was once screwed up can be fixed".

I wAsnt suggesting it's better, rather that we spent money changing everything and then would need to spend more to change it back. That's dumb.

And my point is... Is there not more important things to address than a logo that we already spent money on? I certainly think there is.

Ps, please don't be offended.
jhill

Post by jhill »

I think the new logo is hands down better... the process may be questioned whether it was properly tendered, or the overall cost...what ever. All in all It's a Way better logo. Done deal move on.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

WhatThe wrote:I wAsnt suggesting it's better, rather that we spent money changing everything and then would need to spend more to change it back. That's dumb.

And my point is... Is there not more important things to address than a logo that we already spent money on? I certainly think there is.

Ps, please don't be offended.

Apologies WhatThe, that blasted logo (the whole mess) is rather a hot button for me. I believe it is for a lot of people, and to have a politician recognize that is rare.
I haven't failed until I quit.
I dunno
Fledgling

Post by I dunno »

While the logo may an election issue, it's certainly not worth the time and money to change it back. I believe it was money not well spent in a time of uncertain economic growth.
shaneherrington

Post by shaneherrington »

Hello All

The return of the old logo can be done at zero cost to the taxpayers by phasing out the spiro-graph and reintroducing the sails. This process of dual logoing is a common practice in the corporate world during expansions into new industries and would work for the city of Kelowna. Would Nike change their logo? How about McDonalds? Not likely so lets correct a mistake and focus on the big picture of operating the city as efficantly as posible for the benifit of all.

Sincerely Shane Herrington P.Eng.
gambler
Fledgling

Post by gambler »

Let's move on lest we sound like Westbank/West Kelowna. I'd be embarrassed for our community if that was to become an issue!
Neroicco

Post by Neroicco »

I second Gambler, while personally I prefer the new logo over the rather primitive old one, basing an election platform on this issue (even partly) given the other issues in the community seems like an utter waste of time.

Shane - what are your positions on development of the downtown? how about the strategies set out in the latest community plan for the wider wider city? Are you an advocate for bigger and better roads or are you keen on providing alternate transit options - (dedicated bus & bike lanes etc) what are your views on how we should be addressing issues of drug use, crime and other social challenges in the downtown? how about environmental issues and how we manage the agricultural land reserves vs current & future development pressures??

Re Cedar Ave - curious how would you achieve 100% greenspace development of the site and provide parking?
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Hey Shane:

Find an issue that's a bit more current. And, find one that isn't needlessly going to cost taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars to implement just for spite.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
dbthorburn

Post by dbthorburn »

As a graphic and web designer with extensive experience in online marketing, I can say without a doubt that the City of Kelowna paid WAY too much for their new logo (regardless of how much market research and promotion was included in the seriously inflated pricetag of approx $80K) and that it has left a sour taste in the taxpayers mouth as another example of frivolous spending.

Return to “C.E. Kelowna”