Julius Bloomfield enters mayoralty race.

fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Julius Bloomfield enters mayoralty race.

Post by fluffy »

Front page in the Herald this morning, a new hat in the ring. Realistically speaking, not all voters take the time to inform themselves on campaign issues and the individual candidates' positions on those issue, but cast their votes in a manner more in tune to individual personalities and popularity. In that aspect, I can see Mr. Bloomfield mounting a serious challenge to Mr. Ashton's chair. It will interesting to see how he presents his platform.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
clouseau

Re: Julius Bloomfield enters mayoralty race.

Post by clouseau »

I am always a bit suspect when I see people who have never been involved in the community at any level suddenly decide they should be the mayor. I don’t know that Bloomfield has done any volunteer work or is on any boards or has any involvement with community groups that try to do some good work. Does anyone else know what record that Bloomfield has for past public service?

It seems he has been a realtor and that is about all I can find out about him. If he was running for council I wouldn’t really be as concerned but how do we know what his motives are?
Julius Bloomfield

Post by Julius Bloomfield »

Hi, Julius here. As far as community involvement goes I am on the Downtown Penticton Association board, co-founder of thePenticton Urban Agriculture Association and I have volunteered on and off at the soupateria.
As for running - my quote at the announcement tells part of it. I am also very interested in getting the city to look at sustainable power production to offset the price hikes by our sole supplier, getting start up jobs and businesses going in the food production industry and support for high tech jobs flowing out of the college. My website will be up soon and it will have my full platform on it.
I look forward to answering questions here as well as elsewhere in the community.
Thanks for reading.
clouseau

Post by clouseau »

Julius Bloomfield wrote:Hi, Julius here. As far as community involvement goes I am on the Downtown Penticton Association board, co-founder of thePenticton Urban Agriculture Association and I have volunteered on and off at the soupateria.
As for running - my quote at the announcement tells part of it. I am also very interested in getting the city to look at sustainable power production to offset the price hikes by our sole supplier, getting start up jobs and businesses going in the food production industry and support for high tech jobs flowing out of the college. My website will be up soon and it will have my full platform on it.
I look forward to answering questions here as well as elsewhere in the community.
Thanks for reading.

I certainly do not have any issues with your being from Naramata but I do have a few questions for you.

Residents of the Westbench currently pay an annual fee to the City of Penticton in support of recreational facilities, if you were the Mayor would you create a similar arrangement with Naramata ?

This leads to my second question. The City sends a fair amount of money to the RDOS each year but as the current Mayor is also the Chair of the RDOS there is never any discussion on value for money to Penticton taxpayers with this arrangement. If you were elected as Mayor would you make a commitment to NOT sit as the RDOS Chair and take action in looking into these arrangements?

Thanks for responding to my first question.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

While I applaud Mr. Bloomfield for running, I think that he has missed a hurdle or two. I believe (others may not) that anyone running for mayor should first gain experience on council as a director or councillor and then go for the position of mayor. Very few people that I have ever heard of in Penticton have become mayor with that experience under their belt. I would have expected you to announce your desire to run for the RDOS director for Naramata, since Mr. Chapman is not running again; it would be an easy in AND you would gain valuable experience on the board before any such leap for the mayor's chair. Unless you have past experience on another city council somewhere, I think that you will not be successful now and will only split the vote. I wouldn't mention your stint as Green Party Deputy leader; it won't help your cause in Conversative Penticton. I still feel strongly that anyone running for mayor or council should live in that town; maybe its an old and outdated attitude but tis the way that many people feel (since many of us are also old and outdated...lol).
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

XT225 wrote: I wouldn't mention your stint as Green Party Deputy leader; it won't help your cause in Conversative Penticton.

I disagree. "Green" concerns are gaining importance steadily, and I think it is long past due that we had someone to represent those concerns in local government. That is not to say that they have been entirely neglected by current and past council members, but I think to have someone actually flying the green flag so-to-speak actually gain office would be a huge step forward.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

-fluffy- wrote:
XT225 wrote: I wouldn't mention your stint as Green Party Deputy leader; it won't help your cause in Conversative Penticton.

I disagree. "Green" concerns are gaining importance steadily, and I think it is long past due that we had someone to represent those concerns in local government. That is not to say that they have been entirely neglected by current and past council members, but I think to have someone actually flying the green flag so-to-speak actually gain office would be a huge step forward.

I have nothing against the Green Party, fluffy...but I don't think that using it as past experience in his portolio will win Mr. Bloomfield many votes for mayor; at least not in Penticton. Conservatism and right wing factions are unfortunately predominent here (not my views, however). I still believe that his best chances are to go for councillor first or RDOS director and then run for mayor, down the road. Thats all I was meaning to say. Also, if I have a choice of voting for someone who lives IN town vs outside, I have to go with the local person. My vote still goes to Katie Robinson because of past experience and dedication on council...and she lives here.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I realize that with local leanings living mostly in the far right end of the political spectrum it would be a challenge to push a totally green agenda, it's just that I feel because of the local mindset we have really missed the boat on things that should have been in the forefront years ago.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Julius Bloomfield wrote:Hi, Julius here. As far as community involvement goes I am on the Downtown Penticton Association board, co-founder of thePenticton Urban Agriculture Association and I have volunteered on and off at the soupateria.
Thanks for reading.

Look forward to seeing your whole platform. I hope it contains more than broad stroke statments and repetative talking points as has been offered up so far from the current contenders without reply. Your comments on sustainable power production interest me. Are you speaking of an expansion of the current bio gas system at the sewage plant? Run of river via channel? Inherent energy in water mains? Others?
Are you aware of the feasibility studies that have already been done in this direction and can you comment on them?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Julius Bloomfield

Post by Julius Bloomfield »

Hi all, tried replying last night but it didn't seem to work so here goes again. I did consider running as area director for Naramata but quickly realised that with my large client base there as a realtor I would be in a conflict on many occasions and would have to excuse myself from many hearings which would make the system a bit of a farce. In Penticton the mayor is still only one voice on council and my client base is much smaller so there would be very few instances of conflict, certainly no more than say a lawyer...
The city should have representation on the RDOS board as we are neighbours and share many facilities and infrastructure, but the perception is that there can be a conflict and perhaps sometimes there is but overall I think it a good idea for the city to have representation on the RDOS board. Having said that, the position on the RODS board in definitely not on my radar and I would not be seeking it, there is too much to do as mayor.
The fact I live outside the city is an age old argument that would have stopped several previous mayors if non-residents were excluded. The focus needs to be on who is the best for the job, the residents of the city have the vote and will decide so the city is in control over who gets the job. Lastly, I work in Penticton, my kids went to school here, I have started and run businesses here, the city is a big part of my life and I believe I can contribute to the city if elected.
My lack of experience as a councilor or area director is offset by my healthy history and success of business management, I think I can bring a fresh outlook to the job and look at problems and issues with new eyes. As Steve Jobs said, we should not be pulled down by dogma and other peoples thinking. That fresh outlook is covered in my platform which I will clearly state in the campaign. I am as frustrated as everybody with the mindless and meaningless rhetoric that we hear daily from in the press.
On the sustainable energy issue - when I stood up at a council meeting and asked the city if they had a plan for building sustainable power production plants in the city to offset the increases in the Fortis rates they asked Mitch (the operations director of public works) and he told them it was not in the city plan. Two weeks later I heard Mitch on CBC saying they were going to dust off the old report and see what was viable now. That was several months ago. IMO we should be considering geothermal, wind, micro hydro on the water flows from reservoirs, hydro from the channel, and gas from the landfill. All these systems have pro's and con's, some will not be viable but others will. Investing is such projects allows the city to offset future rate hikes by Fortis and pass the savings to the consumer.
Thanks for reading, I hope to chat more later.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Julius Bloomfield wrote:Hi all, tried replying last night but it didn't seem to work so here goes again. I did consider running as area director for Naramata but quickly realised that with my large client base there as a realtor I would be in a conflict on many occasions and would have to excuse myself from many hearings which would make the system a bit of a farce. In Penticton the mayor is still only one voice on council and my client base is much smaller so there would be very few instances of conflict, certainly no more than say a lawyer...
The city should have representation on the RDOS board as we are neighbours and share many facilities and infrastructure, but the perception is that there can be a conflict and perhaps sometimes there is but overall I think it a good idea for the city to have representation on the RDOS board. Having said that, the position on the RODS board in definitely not on my radar and I would not be seeking it, there is too much to do as mayor.
The fact I live outside the city is an age old argument that would have stopped several previous mayors if non-residents were excluded. The focus needs to be on who is the best for the job, the residents of the city have the vote and will decide so the city is in control over who gets the job. Lastly, I work in Penticton, my kids went to school here, I have started and run businesses here, the city is a big part of my life and I believe I can contribute to the city if elected.
My lack of experience as a councilor or area director is offset by my healthy history and success of business management, I think I can bring a fresh outlook to the job and look at problems and issues with new eyes. As Steve Jobs said, we should not be pulled down by dogma and other peoples thinking. That fresh outlook is covered in my platform which I will clearly state in the campaign. I am as frustrated as everybody with the mindless and meaningless rhetoric that we hear daily from in the press.
On the sustainable energy issue - when I stood up at a council meeting and asked the city if they had a plan for building sustainable power production plants in the city to offset the increases in the Fortis rates they asked Mitch (the operations director of public works) and he told them it was not in the city plan. Two weeks later I heard Mitch on CBC saying they were going to dust off the old report and see what was viable now. That was several months ago. IMO we should be considering geothermal, wind, micro hydro on the water flows from reservoirs, hydro from the channel, and gas from the landfill. All these systems have pro's and con's, some will not be viable but others will. Investing is such projects allows the city to offset future rate hikes by Fortis and pass the savings to the consumer.
Thanks for reading, I hope to chat more later.

Good response Julius. I am beginning to believe that residency is not a requirement for a position on council; especially since we dont have a lot of choice out there if we want to get rid of the present group on council; their record is dismal at best. Opionated deer hunters, hockey and bike lane experts, downtown business owners, etc etc; we need a change of guard and fast. I do, however believe that you would be much more accepted if you ran for councillor FIRST; get some experience there and then run for mayor next term. I cannot think of ONE mayor that has ever achieved that position in Penticton without first being a councillor. Please correct me if I'm wrong there. There are certain steps that one must take while climbing the ladder. I'm not surprised by what you said about Mitch; I believe that his record is a part of the 2nd floor problem). Geothermal and wind should have been used for some city buildings as an example for the public on how to save resources. Heck, there is likely enough hot air right now in city hall to run the entire heating system! (lol) I am glad to hear you admit that being a realtor could present some problems with conflicts IF the dealings were in your area or employment, which in your case (Naramata) they wouldnt be for the most part. I am concerned about other realtors, however running for council and future conflicts. We have seen this a fair bit with Pearce and Vassalaki; forcing them to leave the room to avoid conflicts. Again, thank you for your response.
beam-me-up-morrison

Post by beam-me-up-morrison »

I'm extremely excited about Julius entering the race.
While he doesn't have any council experience, I find him to be a refreshingly bright, thoughtful and intelligent option.
I think Julius has been extremely successful in business through ventures such as real estate and the pub business, but yet he has a social conscience and wants to sincerely find ways to make the world a better place.
Dan Ashton's a nice guy for sure and his heart's in the right place but what major success did Dan have in business? All of the Ashton's Lady Wear shops are closed down. Dan was on the council that voted in the SOEC (financial albatross), gave the Vees a sweetheart deal that cost the city hundreds of thousands and wants to give subsidies to Ironman - a FOR-PROFIT ORGANIZATION which yields one-man about $1-million in PROFIT for the day.
As for Green issues, how can anybody be opposed to climate change? My God, it's our children and grandchidlren who are going to inherit this mess.
As for Katie Robinson, she should gracefully bow out now. She's been invisible in the community for the past decade and has no hope of winning.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

beam-me-up-morrison wrote:I'm extremely excited about Julius entering the race.
While he doesn't have any council experience, I find him to be a refreshingly bright, thoughtful and intelligent option.
I think Julius has been extremely successful in business through ventures such as real estate and the pub business, but yet he has a social conscience and wants to sincerely find ways to make the world a better place.
Dan Ashton's a nice guy for sure and his heart's in the right place but what major success did Dan have in business? All of the Ashton's Lady Wear shops are closed down. Dan was on the council that voted in the SOEC (financial albatross), gave the Vees a sweetheart deal that cost the city hundreds of thousands and wants to give subsidies to Ironman - a FOR-PROFIT ORGANIZATION which yields one-man about $1-million in PROFIT for the day.
As for Green issues, how can anybody be opposed to climate change? My God, it's our children and grandchidlren who are going to inherit this mess.
As for Katie Robinson, she should gracefully bow out now. She's been invisible in the community for the past decade and has no hope of winning.

I agree with you on D.A.'s record - he was a part of the council at the time who brought in the SOEC and has had his businesses close down, etc. I still maintain that Julius should start out as a councillor and then go for mayor next time. Can you please name me one past mayor who has achieved that position in Penticton withOUT being a local councillor first? It just isn't likely that he would win. Re Katie, I totally disagree..she is a great person, lots of experience on local council; lives in town and would be good as mayor. Its Julius that should back out gracefully now in my opinion and go for councillor. I believe that considering the competition (or lack of it) he would win a seat, easily.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

XT225 wrote: color=#FF0000] Can you please name me one past mayor who has achieved that position in Penticton withOUT being a local councillor first?[/color]

Frank Laird, Al Kenyon, Ivan Messmer. I can't recall Jake Kimberly being a councillor either but not sure.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

twobits wrote:
XT225 wrote: color=#FF0000] Can you please name me one past mayor who has achieved that position in Penticton withOUT being a local councillor first?[/color]

Frank Laird, Al Kenyon, Ivan Messmer. I can't recall Jake Kimberly being a councillor either but not sure.

Ok..thats the kind of info that I did not have; thankyou, twobits. Surprised me, actually. However, I wont be changing my mind; I still think that people should go through the steps and then become mayor. Being deputy leader of the Green Party is a lot different than being a city councillor. I will be sticking with Katie, all the way.

Return to “C.E. Penticton”