Walter Gray makes it official

marvin gardens
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Walter Gray makes it official

Post by marvin gardens »

WOW...I feel warm and fuzzy...Walter Gray just announced he is running for mayor..PLEASE HELP US!!.
The first thing that will be necessary IF he is elected as a big budget to enlarge the doorways at city Hall to acommodate his large ego.
What did he exclaim when he made the announcement: More business friendly.GOSH could it be any friendlier?The Urban Design institute mostly runs the city now. Notice if you will, it is only the nickel and dime contrators that complain..The big ones; Worman, Stober etc., just go about their business, constructing good quality developments. No doubt Gray supports the type that builds pink stucco admonition like the one on Ellis street.Then he proclaims the Mayor and council should be more friendly to the Chamber of Commerce.One of the most dangerous right wing organizations in existence. They suck millions from the taxpayer(at last count about HALF A MILLION DOLLARS PER YEAR) no questions asked.And, for what? Complaining that the minimum wage is too high among other things.
Gray supporters talk about him being good for business.Sure while he was mayor, Western Star left town, not a peep from the mayor or that Frank Sinatra fellow over in the Economic Development office at the reginal district.
Yes Gray wants to put more video cameras downtown.He brought in reverse parking on South Pandosy, Complete with photo ops...OH yeah He was there when our current over paid city manager came to town..
When Gray makes his announcement using worn out cliches from the 80's "I'm going to hit the ground running" that should be a warning to all Kelowna voters. He is past his "best before date".We don't need someone from the old boys network
When Kelowna votes for mayor, it is time to look forward, not backward.
Ub2
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Ub2 »

Well said marvin gardens . . . and also to add, from a personal conversation with old Walt . . . it was about a particular bylaw, and his response was "in some cases laws are to be ignored", I disagreed and said if they're not apropriate then change them.
So watching Gray operate over the years, it seems one set of rules for Walt and company - and another for everybody else!

. . . we cannot have this guy re-elected!
Sn0man
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Walter Gray considering running for Mayor

Post by Sn0man »

mechanic_virus wrote:Oh yeah. The voice. The voice that should speak on behalf of all of our residents, but instead spoke words that caused division. And caused him to be found guilty of discrimination in a human rights tribunal. "I cannot support their lifestyle through a proclamation." "I am very worried we are actually advertising the practices associated with gays and lesbians as kind of acceptable and cool and we shouldn't be doing that."

What's wrong with someone having good old fashioned values?

What the hell do "they" need a proclamation for anyways? Is there something that makes them more special than everybody else?

And I agree with his advertising statement.

Hope he wins the election.
Sunshine tax rebate recipient
thehansenbrothers

Post by thehansenbrothers »

Walter Gray has to be over 70 years old. And for anyone out there with a 70 year old parent, you understand that they are not the sharpest knife in the drawer any more.
Walter may of done "OK" in the 90's, but he is way past his prime.
He just sold his independent radio staion to a national company. He then was part of a group that sold a bunch of independent cable companies to a national company. Walter is all about lining his pockets, and ignoring the small man.
Now that that is done, he is taking his over sized ego and pushing it through again to help the big guys, and screw over the small independent guys.
Everyone, do your selves a favour, vote for Sharon.
If you feel compelled to vote for Walter, meet with him and ask him why he sold those companies, and then ask the staff of those companies the same question. That would give you good direction on his integrity.
While Sharon may not of been a big supporter of the small guys, she never did them any harm either. I would take neutral over what we lived with in the old gray mayors first run.
Really, 70 years old, retire all ready!!
dudlee
Übergod

Post by dudlee »

I think that all of the frustration with council can be firmly placed on the Leadership . Notice how the new councillors are being targeted , and the Mayor doesn't come to their aide . If you ask the mayor what she has accomplished she will rattle off an impressive list of things that she personally had nothing to do with , she's in over her head .

I moved here when the mayor was first elected , prior to her tenure I heard nothing but good things, things like Kelowna is growing and advancing at the right rate , she ran on a message of change , and she changed a lot , people are not moving here at the same rate , but they are leaving quicker , she promised to help business and grow Kelowna responsibily, well the downtown is a dump and Bunnies seem to steal center stage .

Things were good with Walter , I'm glad he is coming back
"A lie stated over a long enough period of time, becomes the truth" Adolf Hitler. But I say , "A half truth is a lie and there is always two sides to a story, but only one truth"
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

dudlee wrote:I think that all of the frustration with council can be firmly placed on the Leadership . Notice how the new councillors are being targeted , and the Mayor doesn't come to their aide . If you ask the mayor what she has accomplished she will rattle off an impressive list of things that she personally had nothing to do with , she's in over her head .

I moved here when the mayor was first elected , prior to her tenure I heard nothing but good things, things like Kelowna is growing and advancing at the right rate , she ran on a message of change , and she changed a lot , people are not moving here at the same rate , but they are leaving quicker , she promised to help business and grow Kelowna responsibily, well the downtown is a dump and Bunnies seem to steal center stage .

Things were good with Walter , I'm glad he is coming back

Really. You can say what it was like with Walter, even though you didn't live here? You need to listen to what is being said. Walter used to walk his buddies to the planning department and tell staff to issues permits. He said that homeless people are not the responsibility of council. He said, gay and lesbians have no rights and he can't support their awareness campaigns. The only building being done was by his wealthy buddies who put up more commercial space, but didn't add one project to the infrastructure. Maybe the current mayor doesn’t brow-beat other councilors into agreement – it’s a democracy. No, she doesn’t help her friends circumvent policy so they can build what they want, where they want it. I get it's a problem when the current mayor represents Kelowna and all 106K people and not the select few. And finally, go ask any city hall employee what is was like when Walter patrolled the halls. They couldn’t stand him. But you’re right, given the limited time you’ve lived here you have every reason to want the old man back. Good luck with that.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Mtn Biker wrote: And finally, go ask any city hall employee what is was like when Walter patrolled the halls. They couldn’t stand him.

That right there is an endorsement for Walter. When unionized workers aren't enamoured with their boss, it means he/she is making them do something for a change, instead of jerking around and getting away with it because their boss wants to be their buddy.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

According to the city's website, Grey has not turned in his papers yet.

http://www.kelowna.ca/CM/Page954.aspx
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

RichardWede wrote:
Mtn Biker wrote: And finally, go ask any city hall employee what is was like when Walter patrolled the halls. They couldn’t stand him.

That right there is an endorsement for Walter. When unionized workers aren't enamoured with their boss, it means he/she is making them do something for a change, instead of jerking around and getting away with it because their boss wants to be their buddy.

Hey dick, you again? Nice twist on my words but it’s expected. He was disliked for being a condescending *bleep* who treated employees like second class citizens. But go ahead and spin it anyway you like. I’m gathering you and Walter are closet buddies?
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

I've never met the man and I'm not endorsing his run for mayor. He's had his day.

Maybe a white knight will jump into the race at the last minute and save us from more stupidity, but I somehow doubt it.

I haven't decided whom I will back, but hey, since Kim is knockout better looking and would be just as ineffective as the rest of them, why not her?

If I have to suffer through moronic skits on CHBC about the latest bicycle lane or rabbit cull, it may as well be from a pretty woman than the alternatives. At this point, there's no one winning on policy, as they are all the same - lame. Call it sexist if you will, but it's about the only thing that separates anyone from that crowd.

"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
little angel 34

Post by little angel 34 »

RichardWede wrote:I've never met the man and I'm not endorsing his run for mayor. He's had his day.

Maybe a white knight will jump into the race at the last minute and save us from more stupidity, but I somehow doubt it.

I haven't decided whom I will back, but hey, since Kim is knockout better looking and would be just as ineffective as the rest of them, why not her?

If I have to suffer through moronic skits on CHBC about the latest bicycle lane or rabbit cull, it may as well be from a pretty woman than the alternatives. At this point, there's no one winning on policy, as they are all the same - lame. Call it sexist if you will, but it's about the only thing that separates anyone from that crowd.

Hello Richard,
I have met this young lady,I do believe you should not under estimate her chance in winning this election.
It would do you good to talk to her personally.
thehansenbrothers

Post by thehansenbrothers »

Qoute:

Lambrick also raised some concerns about the way the business community was trying to use their influence over city council, and told former Mayor Walter Gray he should be ashamed of himself for using his influence to get a pro CD-21 Zone letter on the front page of the Daily Courier earlier this week. He pointed out that he did nothing more than submit the letter, and the Courier decided where to take it from there but she was less than convinced.

http://www.kelowna.com/2010/02/19/spiri ... ash-rally/

Get ready for Walter Grey to bring his single track mind to the election. Was it not this very type of Pro develop the water front that got him hucked out of the mayors chair. Then a year ago he is all about development, development,development.

He would probably put a toll on the bridge.
Bestside
Guru

Post by Bestside »

thehansenbrothers wrote:Qoute: Lambrick also raised some concerns about the way the business community was trying to use their influence over city council, and told former Mayor Walter Gray he should be ashamed of himself for using his influence to get a pro CD-21 Zone letter on the front page of the Daily Courier earlier this week. He pointed out that he did nothing more than submit the letter, and the Courier decided where to take it from there but she was less than convinced.

http://www.kelowna.com/2010/02/19/spiri ... ash-rally/

Get ready for Walter Grey to bring his single track mind to the election. Was it not this very type of Pro develop the water front that got him hucked out of the mayors chair. Then a year ago he is all about development, development,development.

That's a good link to show what Gray is all about. It is also a reminder that Sharon Shepherd does listen to people who do not want to give the downtown to big out-of-town developers who are all for profit and don't care about the current residents.

With Walter Gray you get 25 plus floor highrises on city park lake front property with huge profits for developers. With Sharon Shepherd you get downtown development at a more manageable level with 8 floor max buildings fronting Abbott, stepping back to higher buildings further back from the lake front.

Walter Gray lost the last election he ran in due to his support for deficient plans for the city when Ron Mattiussi was head of the planning department. Remember the traffic issues, the law suits, the pompous arrogance... The plans to scoop the City Park water front for 25 plus story condos came right out of Walter Gray and Ron Mattiussi's plans to enrich the Edmonton developer... it was under their watch that the fiasco with removing the Simpson covenant came about to facilitate building highrises where Stuart park is now located, as well as the lawsuits resulting from the City building trails on private property...

That's a good governance act to set up again... Elect Walter Gray for mayor to work with Ron Mattiussi securely ensconced in his job as City Manager and Kelowna will be going down the road to hell in a hand basket...
"Conservatives have whipped themselves into spasms of outrage and despair that block all strategic thinking" - David Frum
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

I too didn't live here when Mr. Gray was mayor. But from what I'm reading in this forum and how much developing you all think he'd bring to the city, it sounds like he'd be creating a whole lot of jobs. And with the number of people looking for jobs and all the complaining about the lack of jobs, I don't know if that's such a bad thing.
Bestside
Guru

Post by Bestside »

Jonrox wrote:I too didn't live here when Mr. Gray was mayor. But from what I'm reading in this forum and how much developing you all think he'd bring to the city, it sounds like he'd be creating a whole lot of jobs. And with the number of people looking for jobs and all the complaining about the lack of jobs, I don't know if that's such a bad thing.

So you would give away city park and the lake front to line Gray's and his friends pockets with 25+ story development on that property for short term jobs while destroying the site lines for development further back from Abbott, instead of going with Shepherds 8 story on the building side of Abbott and stepped back to 25 story farther back from Abbott to create more building foot prints with Okanagan lake site lines and more jobs?

One thing about the economy is we now have virtually nothing going on... whose plans are going to be more cost effective for more than one developer to get the local economy going and be sustainable for some time to come? And whose plans are going to create more work in both the short and long term, and continue to bring tourists to enjoy the downtown lake front?

Gray is a one-off short term thinker. Take the profits and run.
"Conservatives have whipped themselves into spasms of outrage and despair that block all strategic thinking" - David Frum

Return to “C.E. Kelowna”