Is the Penticton Herald biased in its political reporting?

southy
Lord of the Board

Is the Penticton Herald biased in its political reporting?

Post by southy »

Perhaps this should be under the election site, but thought I would post here first. I'm sure alot of you folks saw today's Penticton Herald. If I was any one of the other mayorality candidates I'd be just alittle bit upset. How does Dan Ashton get a full color photo (large at that) and headline feature on his announcement to run again for mayor?? Someone please tell me how? I think I know, but, I really don't want a lawsuit. Good on you Dan ... hope it helps!
brentan
Fledgling

Re: Is the Penticton Herald biased in it's political reporti

Post by brentan »

you may just be on to something, however would think buck stops with andre Martin and and Mr james Miller though!
Having said this, in the end it does come down to voters anyhow, and my hope is more get out to vote this time.
Change is in need and I hope things can be different this time around. As for my vote, Mr A, got it last time round, not so this time!
Wishing all candidates good luck though, gonna be an interesting time ahead for sure. Certainly NOT a lock to get back in this time!
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Bang on Brentan I agree with you fully. And yes, it does come down to the voters and I sure hope the voters turn out and understand the realities of what and who they are voting for. By the way ... can anyone explain to me what the "legacy" part of the story pertains to? I'm not going to post the story because that would be simply giving DA more free advertising!
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

I never voted for a mayor in my life.

I will make sure I vote this time for anyone BUT Dan Ashton
and it will be because of Penticton Herald. When they put Dan ashton's photo
by a story that had nothing to do with DA, I realized something was not quite
kosher there.

WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Thinktank wrote:I never voted for a mayor in my life.

I will make sure I vote this time for anyone BUT Dan Ashton
and it will be because of Penticton Herald. When they put Dan ashton's photo
by a story that had nothing to do with DA, I realized something was not quite
kosher there.

I agree with all above comments. I felt naucious after seeing that picture in todays Herald. They should have the other candidates in the same spot; the same coverage; the same color in the next few days but they won't. Maybe if enough people cancel their subscriptions, they will get the message. Everyone deserves equal coverage; its not like D.A. paid for that spot (at least I dont think he did..lol).
shakeman
Fledgling

Re: Is the Penticton Herald biased in its political reportin

Post by shakeman »

Penticon Herald, Friday, October 7: front page, large colour photo of Julius Bloomfield with wife and son plus detailed article.

Herald, September 14: same for Katie Robinson (solo photo)

What's the problem?
beam-me-up-morrison

Post by beam-me-up-morrison »

You guys are idiots.
Ashton, front page.
Julius Bloomfield (with son and wife) front page.
Katie Robinson, front page.

Benny Wolfe (who announced in August but has since withdrawn due to legal problems), page A3--- fringe candidate, got 96 votes the time before.

There are two fringe candidates running, be interested to see where the Herald puts them in.

Bottom line - they've been balanced. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it!

Credit these guys for notifying the voters and trying to create some interest.

You should remove that post. It's unfair and INACCURATE.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

beam-me-up-morrison wrote:You guys are idiots.
Ashton, front page.
Julius Bloomfield (with son and wife) front page.
Katie Robinson, front page.

Benny Wolfe (who announced in August but has since withdrawn due to legal problems), page A3--- fringe candidate, got 96 votes the time before.

There are two fringe candidates running, be interested to see where the Herald puts them in.

Bottom line - they've been balanced. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it!

Credit these guys for notifying the voters and trying to create some interest.

You should remove that post. It's unfair and INACCURATE.

Carefull now...lol....you just called those three in red - idiots. You can't do that. The censor gods will chop you but quick. LOL
beam-me-up-morrison

I meant the poster was idiots. Not the candidates, although that could be open for debate.
Herald does it's best to try and balance things out.
The fault they have is with FRINGE CANDIDATES.
Should you give these guys with no hope whatsoever of winning, any kind of play?
Even worse is all-candidates meetings. Realistically, there's a two-person race, although you could argue three. But when you get five people - two with no hope - it's like "shut up", you're taking microphone time from the other candidates.
Same with council. There's 19 running for six spots. Realistically, how many have a shot? The five incumbents for sure. Helena, Jeanine, Gary Leaman (ran second for mayor in '08) and maybe Jason Cox.
But to have a 19-person candidates forum. Yikes!
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Whoa there Beam-me-up .... two with no hope? You say "Shut up"????? Five incumbents for sure have a shot???? I think the word you are forgetting is "DEMOCRACY"! Look it up!
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

beam-me-up-morrison wrote:I meant the poster was idiots. Not the candidates, although that could be open for debate.
Herald does it's best to try and balance things out.
The fault they have is with FRINGE CANDIDATES.
Should you give these guys with no hope whatsoever of winning, any kind of play?
Even worse is all-candidates meetings. Realistically, there's a two-person race, although you could argue three. But when you get five people - two with no hope - it's like "shut up", you're taking microphone time from the other candidates.
Same with council. There's 19 running for six spots. Realistically, how many have a shot? The five incumbents for sure. Helena, Jeanine, Gary Leaman (ran second for mayor in '08) and maybe Jason Cox.
But to have a 19-person candidates forum. Yikes!

Oh please....don't tell me that Gary Leaman is running? I hadn't heard that. His "record" (see how you have to be careful; no can talk nasty re the "person") speaks for itself; was so often against the downtown due to his conflict running the shopping centre. I can see that happening all over again; we sure don't want to elect him. I would like to see a lot more publicity on the newcomers; they deserve a chance. This whole thread needs to continue but to be moved to the 2011 Civic Election area.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Point is that the three main contenders for the Mayors chair all got a front page spread. That makes the opening post false and a smear.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Come on Twobits ... that's crap and you know it!! Compare the other stories! Take a look at how much press DA has received over the past 6 months in this publication? Meaningless press IMO. Smear???? You're smarter than that get a grip ... UNLESS OF COURSE you just happen to be a supporter of DA and well ... that's ok ... you're entitled.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

southy wrote:Come on Twobits ... that's crap and you know it!! Compare the other stories! Take a look at how much press DA has received over the past 6 months in this publication? Meaningless press IMO. Smear???? You're smarter than that get a grip ... UNLESS OF COURSE you just happen to be a supporter of DA and well ... that's ok ... you're entitled.

Agreed, southy. Twobits has always been a D.A. supporter; thats very evident; he is entitled to that. I do think, too, as you do that DA has been getting far more press than other candidates and we see it as unfair; others will view it as Democracy I suppose. The paper can do what they wish; but we don't have to subscribe, either...lol. This whole thread should be taken to the political section. I'm still trying to find out who the 4th candidate for mayor is...and I don't think it is the Wolfman. The paper today listed the entire list of candidates running for councillor positions and there are few surprises; some good. To this point they have been given NO publicity. ps: remember, if we can oust D.A., he loses both hats; double whammy win win.
beam-me-up-morrison

I'm going to stop reading this site because 90 per cent of the people who reply are stupid.
Dan Ashton is getting a lot of coverage in The Herald, as well as CHBC News, the freebee paper that comes at my doorstep and I throw right in the blue box, etc. because he is the mayor.
That's a huge advantage for incumbents, however, if any of you know your history, Penticton has tossed five straight mayors

1996 Beth Campbell beat Jake
1999 Mike Pearce beats Beth Campbell
2002 David Perry beats Mike Pearce
2005 Jake Kimberley beats David Perry (and Mike Pearce)
2008 Dan Ashton beats Jake Kimberley

The Herald gave front-page to the three main challengers. The two who we don't know declared at the last second.

And further, is it biased because the Herald gave a front-page story today to the 18 year old girl whose running for council? Are they favouring that candidate? No, it's newsworthy. An 18 year old. Never been done before.

People also forget newspapers, and TV stations and free papers that we throw in the blue box because they show up at the door without us ever asking, are in the business of selling newspapers.

Return to “C.E. Penticton”