Cal Condy
4%
Kim Ouellette
22%

Total votes: 97

little angel 34

Re: Mayoral Poll

Post by little angel 34 »

I will vote for a new approach, new face, well just new.
What is the point to giving either Gray or Sheppard
Another try, I will not allow my tax dollars to put either
One of these two back in office.
So if you vote for Gray or Sheppard
For the sake of being afraid of different than you will
Have three more years of more taxes, A City Debt increase,
For the last two Election Sharon has said " her vision, her goals,her council
her, her. Now she says "Our Kelowna" what
When did she come to this realization?
I don't believe that for a moment.

" On November 19th, I will vote Kim Ouellette
JBoyd

Post by JBoyd »

Quarsar386 wrote: Not the least of which being the FREE ice rink in city park, that didn't work and costs us all how much every year for maintenance?

Didn't work? Me and my family were down there quite a lot during last winter and it worked just fine. It is things like a free ice rink for the public that will draw more newcomers to Kelowna and increase our economic growth.

To those that are voting for some of the newcomers for mayer, for the love of god people don't waste your votes. As someone earlier said, a wasted vote will ensure that Gray gets back into office. That is the last thing that Kelowna needs. If you people think that Sheppard has done a *bleep* poor job in office, wait until you see what its like with Gray back in. You will all be wishing you voted differently.. that's for sure.

Gray likes to keep Kelowna a small-town, during his term he severely *bleep* economic growth in Kelowna. He wanted to keep us from growing so that we stayed a 'small town', and he will do it again. There was a reason why Kelowna was touted as for the newlywed and nearly dead while Gray was Mayor for 3 terms.
Yoster

Post by Yoster »

My vote goes to Cal. Cal Condy will work hard and be a strong leader for the council members.
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

Quarsar386 wrote:
Mtn Biker wrote:I am sorry but are you people for real? We’ve just come through one of the worst recessions, down turn in the economy in 2 decades and you’re all b-n about job creations and nothing getting down. Despite the economic climate, current council has still be able to make the improvements needed, improve the quality of life through expansion of parks, bike paths and hospital expansion. If you all were actually honest, opened your eyes and listen to what has been done and on the slate to be completed over the next 3 years, any change to council now would throw that all back on the table – Wally wants the City Green to go back to square one . . . not that’s dumb and useless. No, Shepherd deserves far more credit than what your armchair politician display.

Most of the completed projects that are mentioned above were started long before "the great recession". They just happened to be completed during her term in office. Shepard doesn't any credit for those projects. She does however deserve credit for spending our tax $$$ on a piece of stainless steel Milfoil weed sculpture at the foot of the bridge, that can longer be seen, due to overgrowth of trees, a light-up polar bear, that is not even part of our environment, and a few other failed park fiasco's that have cost us locals plenty and have had zero return for our $$. Not the least of which being the FREE ice rink in city park, that didn't work and costs us all how much every year for maintenance? DUMP the spend-thrift deadwood....time for a REAL change!

Ummm . . . name the projects that were started before and completed after? It was Shepherd’s council that pushed these projects through. Yes, they may have been talked about, or put on an agenda, but it sure wasn’t Wally and the boys that pushed them through. As for spending money on art . . . there is a an Arts and Culture department at the City, it is their job to determine these projects, the money is set aside this is true, but every council does this, and it sure isn’t council that says put this sculpture here and that one there. They only respond to the choices given them. No problem if you don’t like the art, I do, so do many others and it’s just your art preference; it has nothing to do with running a city. The free ice rink is one of the best and most thoughtful things this city has done for the residences in years. I like skating, was on the rink 20 times last year, and believe me you’re in the minority of people who don’t like it. But after reading your post, you’re in the minority on most ideas you share.
mr barrymor

Post by mr barrymor »

I AM DEPRESSED THIS MORNING ! Reading the comments about who to vote for Mayor is really discouraging. So much personal garbage. Reminds me of the statements made over the last couple thousand years regarding this time we are in. Unrest and financial doom. The rich destroying the lives of the rest of us. The poor and unhappy protesting. The ultimate failure will be what we are now seeing. No work or security for the majority with the minority colapsing financially.
What about our Kelowna difficulties? In the case of the 4 blocks overlooking the City Park, the concern is that the rich (developers) want to use the best land for their benefit. The majority just wanted them to move those now 26 story buildings back to between Ellis and Richter. Take a look at what happened where those 20+ story buildings are built on the Lake. Not only did they use the view for their financial benefit, they built on a sawdust pile. Was this smart ? All in the name of getting the most money returns for their effort.
AS far as who should be our next Mayor, Gray does not want to see Harvey Avenue included in the development of Down Town Kelowna. Ouellette and Shepherd want to create a complete plan that includes the Old High School, Harvey Avenue, the 4 block area over looking the City Park and Bernard Avenue.
Also, when the silent electorate, who do not read Castanet or any thing else, go to vote, they just look at the names and vote for one that is familiar. THE REAL IMPORTANT FACT HERE IS ... IT IS NOT THE MAYOR THAT CONTROLS KELOWNA DEVELOPMENT, IT IS THE COUNCILORS AND WHO OR WHAT CONTROLS THEM !
Let's develop Down Town Kelowna in a complete package. Bernard Avenue and Harvey Avenue included.
[email protected]
beachwear
Fledgling

Post by beachwear »

unbiased2 wrote:I hope you guys realize that a vote for anyone else except Sharon Shepherd will put Walter back in. It's not that someone else couldn't do a better job, but in this election cycle it's too risky . . . the vote could easily split and ensure a Gray win.
I'm willing to give her another chance, and if she does not perform better, I would be willing to look at someone else next election.

A protest vote at this particular time, in my opinion would be irresponsible and could have unintended consequences . . . especially due to the fact that the fourchange group is prepared to hijack city hall if they can and they're very well organized. I can see the line-up already.

This election could easily turn out to be one of the most unsettling , and if you want change just for the sake of change, I think that would be the wrong approach . . . just my opinion.

Hi Unbiased,

I have to disagree,

The purpose of having a "Free" election is so normal people can hire who they think would best serve their interests. Everyone has a different style, and it's typically that style that demonstrates how they will perform as a leader. The whole notion of vote splitting to prevent this or that person form getting in is disengenious. It's your vote, and it matters to you more than anyone else. Vote with your heart and vote with your mind. That way, regardless of the outcome, you'll be happy with yourself, and at the end of the day, that's what really matters.

Cal Condy
beachwear
Fledgling

Post by beachwear »

mr barrymor wrote:I AM DEPRESSED THIS MORNING ! Reading the comments about who to vote for Mayor is really discouraging. So much personal garbage. Reminds me of the statements made over the last couple thousand years regarding this time we are in. Unrest and financial doom. The rich destroying the lives of the rest of us. The poor and unhappy protesting. The ultimate failure will be what we are now seeing. No work or security for the majority with the minority colapsing financially.
What about our Kelowna difficulties? In the case of the 4 blocks overlooking the City Park, the concern is that the rich (developers) want to use the best land for their benefit. The majority just wanted them to move those now 26 story buildings back to between Ellis and Richter. Take a look at what happened where those 20+ story buildings are built on the Lake. Not only did they use the view for their financial benefit, they built on a sawdust pile. Was this smart ? All in the name of getting the most money returns for their effort.
AS far as who should be our next Mayor, Gray does not want to see Harvey Avenue included in the development of Down Town Kelowna. Ouellette and Shepherd want to create a complete plan that includes the Old High School, Harvey Avenue, the 4 block area over looking the City Park and Bernard Avenue.
Also, when the silent electorate, who do not read Castanet or any thing else, go to vote, they just look at the names and vote for one that is familiar. THE REAL IMPORTANT FACT HERE IS ... IT IS NOT THE MAYOR THAT CONTROLS KELOWNA DEVELOPMENT, IT IS THE COUNCILORS AND WHO OR WHAT CONTROLS THEM !

Hey Mr Barrymor,

Cheer up, Kelowna's a great town. We just need a little more common sense and we need to get things done a little faster.
There's developers, there's Public interests and there's the middle.

It's a great day to be alive though isn't it?

Cal
Ub2
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Ub2 »

calcondy wrote:
unbiased2 wrote:I hope you guys realize that a vote for anyone else except Sharon Shepherd will put Walter back in. It's not that someone else couldn't do a better job, but in this election cycle it's too risky . . . the vote could easily split and ensure a Gray win.
I'm willing to give her another chance, and if she does not perform better, I would be willing to look at someone else next election.

A protest vote at this particular time, in my opinion would be irresponsible and could have unintended consequences . . . especially due to the fact that the fourchange group is prepared to hijack city hall if they can and they're very well organized. I can see the line-up already.

This election could easily turn out to be one of the most unsettling , and if you want change just for the sake of change, I think that would be the wrong approach . . . just my opinion.

Hi Unbiased,

I have to disagree,

The purpose of having a "Free" election is so normal people can hire who they think would best serve their interests. Everyone has a different style, and it's typically that style that demonstrates how they will perform as a leader. The whole notion of vote splitting to prevent this or that person form getting in is disengenious. It's your vote, and it matters to you more than anyone else. Vote with your heart and vote with your mind. That way, regardless of the outcome, you'll be happy with yourself, and at the end of the day, that's what really matters.

Cal Condy

Cal: vote splitting happens all the time; it is not a disingenuous attempt to prevent someone from being elected; it is an unintended consequence that produces undesirable results, that's why, at times a strategically placed vote may serve better.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Cal, that's the attitude that scares me about you. No matter what happens you don't care enough because in the end "it's a great day to be alive" and "you're not running for president of the universe". You just aren't taking this seriously enough. The decisions you make as mayor can drastically alter people's lives and I don't think you grasp the scope of this. I'm not willing to place my future in the hands of someone with such a flippant attitude.
Stylez_Freedom

Post by Stylez_Freedom »

I would just like to state that we do have one thing in common as to who we dont want to win this election and unfortunately in a time of crisis in most aspects someone who is indeed less experienced shines thru but come on do we really want to elect back in these two dinosaurs with there narrow minded views squandering what little money we do have>? big condos that only the upper can afford what about more social housing in the stead of these big town homes and multi million dollar homes going up on moutain sides all across our beautiful landscapes.... and better business why not fund in making these business's better rather then opening new business's which are doomed to bankruptcy i have seen many stores go out of business and go up in its place and fall under again its sad and yet we build all these huge multi national corporations and strip malls that do indeed out number the small business comunity that is our downtown.

Why not revamp downtown completely you know what we dont have in kelowna a school to teach people how to grow there own food and teach people about how to be more economically friendly. all we have to go by is all this and all that on the news and media flooding our minds with false knowledge I work in the food industry and I barely make ends meet i got my hrs cut back 2 hrs daily and to boot I picked up another job and now work saturdays as well I am stressed to live in this town yet i am stuck here like many of us, I am so confused as to what is really going on behind the scenes hear i did hear something thru the grapevine of sharon shepeard taking a sum of 250 grand as a bonus when she willingly knows we need more police now this is just something i heard wether its true or not its hear say so choose to believe it or not, but what i would like to see in the stead of multi million dollar homes that will inevitably raise the housing tax expedentialy because of how the monitary system works i.e more money more debt more debt more money as money is created from bonds which in turns is translated to debt so is it necessary to create more debt? why not focus on some things we need like a richer culture a richer lifestyle i.e healthier? and what also really grinds my gears is why organic food is more expensive hmmm why is somethign that is healthier for you more expensive shouldnt it be cheaper kind of detours people from eating healthy while they go and eat a 2 dollar burger instead and you wanna talk about economics lets look at the word economy
economy [ɪˈkɒnəmɪ]
n pl -mies
1. careful management of resources to avoid unnecessary expenditure or waste; thrift
2. a means or instance of this; saving
3. sparing, restrained, or efficient use, esp to achieve the maximum effect for the minimum effort

hmm so what are we doing right now lets i dont know get bigger and bigger more waste and more waste why not work on things like less is more,,, teaching people how to budget in this time of crisis i.e saving buying and or growning there own food, spending less on excessive impulse buying, we need to focus more on art but that doesnt mean we need to build up these expenive displays every where there needs to be more places for art to be viewed and for the artists to express themselves more freely no more selfishness by means of higher tax's did you know banks dont pay anything in tax's? ever wonder why that is ? hmmm well I fit into what is called the 99 percent bracket and I am fed up of these old corporate minded puppets running things I SAY VOTE SOMEONE WHO WILL TAKE THE TIME TO LISTEN TO US DIRECTLY TAKE THE TIME TO PUT THE PEOPLE BEFORE THE PROFITS, VOTE FOR A PERSON WHO IS ALSO IN OUR 99% BRACKET WHO SHARES OUR HURT SHARES OUR PAIN AS WHAT IS GOING ON IN HTIS CORRUPT WORLD OF ITS ECONOMICAL INJUSTICE'S. KIM OUELLETTE YOU HAVE MY VOTE, BIG UPS ON THE LETTING US SPEAK DIRECTLY TO THE MAYOR PROPOSITION I WOULD LIKE TO SHARE MY VIEWS ONE ON ONE WITH THE MAYOR BUT ALAS AS IT HAS BEEN IN PRESENT AND PAST TIMES NOTHING OF WHICH HAS EVER BEEN INSTATED SO ALAS MY OPINIONS AND VIEWS GO UNHEARD! WELL I AM SILENT NO MORE ELECT SOMEONE WHO CARES ELECT A HUMAN BEING INSTEAD OF A CORPORATE COLD BLOOD REPTILIAN,,, and sharon in the news doing alll these things like sweat for water by biking and spca cage shinanigans you dont think i see what you are doing,,,, kind of odd how you aer doing these things now? what about all year kind of self centred on her part oh its close to elections guess i better start doing something so people wont dislike me as much as they already do and as for walter grey.... jsut retire man your views are outdated and i know oyu think you would be helping but oyu wont and you will be to close minded to see it washed up in old pride and old values.... and sharon you tried and thats all we can do but you will never know how it feels to be where the people of kelowna are sitting i.e broke 99% people barely living from paychekc ot paycheck how can you help when you will never fully understand? this is my opinion and i will be heard. OWS, OUT WITH CORRUPT POLITICIANS..
Stylez_Freedom

Post by Stylez_Freedom »

another thing is why we are even worried about if walter grey is elected ? apperently no one here has a set of balls so i will say it WAKE UP PEOPLE THESE CORPORATE IDIOTS ARE IN POWER BECAUSE WE PUT THEM THERE WITH OUR VOTES AND TAX DOLLARS???? SO IF WE FRIGGIN PUT THEM THERE WHY ARE WE SO AFRAID>? SHOULDNT THE GOVERNMENT BE AFRAID OF ITS PEOPLE AND NOT THE OTEHR WAY AROUND? SO I SAY ELECT A HUMANIST ENOUGH WHOS NDP WHOS CONSERVATIVE WHO THIS WHOS THAT ITS ALL CORPORATE BS IF OYU ASK ME. VOTE PEOPLE HOW BOUT THAT !

VOTE A MOTHER, A TAX PAYER, A KIND HEART, VOTE FOR SOMEONE WHO WANTS TO MEAN SOMETHING INSTEAD OF SOMEONE WHO JUST WANTS SOMETHING.
beachwear
Fledgling

Post by beachwear »

Jonrox,

Good to hear fron you. I think before we go too much further you should go to a few Council meetings. Right now you seem to be too easily impressed. There's nothing magical about it. Good decision making and asking the right questions, it's pretty straight forward. Let me know when you've been to a couple of meetings and we can talk.

Cal
Last edited by beachwear on Oct 17th, 2011, 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beachwear
Fledgling

Post by beachwear »

unbiased2 wrote:
calcondy wrote:

Hi Unbiased,

I have to disagree,

Cal Condy

Cal: vote splitting happens all the time; it is not a disingenuous attempt to prevent someone from being elected; it is an unintended consequence that produces undesirable results, that's why, at times a strategically placed vote may serve better.

Sorry, not buying it. You want to waste your vote that's up to you. It's this kind of stuff that's turns most people off of voting. Do your own due diligence and then vote. You've got to live with yourself.

Cal Condy
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

Stylez_Freedom wrote:VOTE A MOTHER, A TAX PAYER, A KIND HEART, VOTE FOR SOMEONE WHO WANTS TO MEAN SOMETHING INSTEAD OF SOMEONE WHO JUST WANTS SOMETHING.

Personally, I'd like to vote for someone who is accountable to the people, and really truly represents the people.
Also, I believe "Mothers" belong at home in the kitchen, not in Politics, but thats just my opinion.
Ub2
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Ub2 »

calcondy wrote:
unbiased2 wrote:
calcondy wrote:

Hi Unbiased,

I have to disagree,

Cal Condy

Sorry, not buying it. You want to waste your vote that's up to you. It's this kind of stuff that's turns most people off of voting. Do your own due diligence and then vote. You've got to live with yourself.

Cal Condy

Now you're being presumptuous. I don't care whether you buy it or not; you're making assumptions about people you do not know or know nothing about; my vote is considered, and deliberate to achieve a particular result, and I would not consider it wasted. Now a vote your way, in my opinion, would be a wasted vote, because I don't believe your qualified.

Return to “C.E. Kelowna”