Learn Something New Every Day

A potpourri of off-topics.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Learn Something New Every Day

Post by grammafreddy »

normaM wrote:or cleaning up an accident lol, sorry overshare)

Is Zoe sick again?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Ljjumbles wrote:
Roadster wrote:
normaM wrote:puree pumpkin ( in the can, just not the pie filling kind, the 100% pure pumpkin) will take care of either diarrhea or constipation in dogs. Worked like a freaking charm!

It also helps people and is good for diabetics, Not with the pie crust of course. I have used it on my pets before and my moms cat. Great stuff.

How does it help diabetics?

It does have some sugar in it but there is also fiber in it and pumpkin is good for the body. It doesnt raise the blood sugars like sweets can so it could be a treat at the same time as helping with digestion and out put if it is not placed on a pie crust that is. Look into pumpkin seeds as well, another good food.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

I see Bsuds posted an awesome link on pumpkin. That is more the medicinal side of it and is great news for sure. I hope they get it figured out.

I take the pumpkin from the can as well as pumpkin seed and pumpkin butters and protien powder. It all seems to do some good.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I learned who the Tower of Pisa was named after. And that there is no Nobel prize for mathematics
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Big Bacardi
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Big Bacardi »

today i learned about "formicary corrosion"

google it

being in the hvac biz...its gonna make me rich!!!!!!

muah hahahahah
You may think I'm dumb...But I ain't so smart.....but i am smart enuf to know how to spell corrictley!!!....I sure wish others culd spel. The graamar by other postars truly sux!
razzledazzle
Lord of the Board

Post by razzledazzle »

I finally learnt how to walk today, took long enough, 54 friggin yrs. :eyeballspin:
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Today I learned that 3.5% of British Columbians are Sikh while only 1.9% of the Indian population belong to the Sikh faith.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

i learned that it is really hard, even for experts, to figure out what sex a hyena is. (i'm sure i'll be using this real soon. lol)
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
eMeM
Übergod

Post by eMeM »

Today I learned that when you need to peel a new (to you) vegetable to try the potato peeler first. I pretty much butchered a butternut squash trying to peel it with a knife, about half way through I tried the potato peeler and it worked like a charm.
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

ferri wrote:i learned that it is really hard, even for experts, to figure out what sex a hyena is. (i'm sure i'll be using this real soon. lol)

well, and this is why
"One gender contradiction is the female spotted hyena's long clitoris, almost indistinguishable from a penis, through which the animals urinate, mate and even give birth. Scientists call the unusual organ, which is capable of becoming erect, a pseudopenis or a peniform clitoris. To further confuse matters, a female's labia are fused and made bulbous by two fatty pads, creating the illusion of a scrotum. For centuries, because of these anomalies, hyenas were suspected of being hermaphrodites capable of changing gender and performing witchcraft. More than once, Holekamp has been startled when a putative male known to her since cub-hood suddenly gave birth.

"What's more, female spotted hyenas are bigger and more aggressive than males. Every clan is a matriarchy ruled by an alpha female. In the clan's strict power structure, adult males rank last. They must swallow abuse even from the most obnoxious juveniles or risk violent punishment from female coalitions. At a communal carcass, adult males eat last—if there's anything left. When a male kills dinner on his own, he must gorge quickly before female clan members shove him aside.

Nor do things improve much when it comes to mating. "With most animals, males duke it out and the winner gets the girls," says Holekamp. "But with hyenas, females have 100 percent say." They decide when and under what conditions they will tolerate deferential sperm donors. At age 2 or 3 a male leaves his natal clan and wanders off to beg acceptance into another clan. After vicious rejections, he eventually succeeds and reaps his reward: brutal harassment as the clan's nadir, one of the last in line for food and sex. This probation, which biologists call "endurance rivalry," is a test, Holekamp explains: "The guy who can stick it out the longest wins." The trial lasts about two years, after which some females may grant him access. "You do not want to be a male hyena," Holekamp says."

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-n ... z1bM2EN9BC
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

yes NormaM! that's exactly right. crazy huh? lol now YOU know it too. so next time we see hyenas we won't even try to figure out if it is a male or female. ha!
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Today, I learned that Kim Jong-il was never the head of state for North Korea. Instead, he was the Supreme Leader. His late father, Kim Il-sung, is the Eternal President.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Glacier wrote:Today, I learned that Kim Jong-il was never the head of state for North Korea. Instead, he was the Supreme Leader. His late father, Kim Il-sung, is the Eternal President.

How convenient.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

When Noah built the Ark(believe what you want)
The measurements that God gave him were in "cubits"
Roughly the length from the end of your elbow to the tip of your middle finger.
or
for those that like exact measurements when building things
for the survival of mankind and all animals on it.
('cept for them pesky unicorns of course.)....45.72cm
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Or 18.22"
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!

Return to “Grab Bag”