A Fully Resourced Police Force

ScottRoss
Fledgling

A Fully Resourced Police Force

Post by ScottRoss »

I support increased funding for more RCMP officers and to ensure they are fully resourced.

Safe streets and protected communities must be the highest priority for any city. With one of the highest crime rates among major cities in Canada and the fewest police officers in relation to population, Kelowna needs to increase funding for our police officers.

As councillor I will work with other members of government to:
-Secure continued provincial funding for the RCMP anti-gang unit.
-Increase funding to have more officers in our community and ensure they are properly resourced.

The anti-gang unit in Kelowna has done more than what we can know, and they are an asset to our community. I will be a part of a council that will actively seek to secure provincial funding for the RCMP’s 16 member Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit in Kelowna.

In 2010 Statistics Canada reported that Kelowna was fourth in an index of cities for police-reported crime severity and in 2008 Kelowna had the fifth highest murder rate among Canadian urban centres. With some of the highest crime rates in BC and one of the lowest ratios of police officers to population, Kelowna needs to properly fund the RCMP for more officers and better resources.

Comparing over 20 municipalities and provinces, a 2011 Vital Signs Report (http://www.vitalsignscanada.ca/rpt2011/II-4.pdf) stated Kelowna had one of the lowest ratios of police officers per 100,000. While major cities like Toronto have 216 officers, and smaller cities like Victoria have 153 officers, Kelowna only has only 125 officers per 100,000 people. Compared to the provincial average of 200 officers per 100,000 people it is clear that Kelowna is underserviced and its RCMP force is underfunded.

A well resourced police force will also make our downtown safer and will prove beneficial by attracting businesses, families, and residents to the heart of our city.

I will work with others on council to ensure public safety is our city's first priority and that funding for our RCMP force is increased.
richardtaylor1973

Re: A Fully Resourced Police Force

Post by richardtaylor1973 »

Scott - you're going to have to explain how you wish to pay for things if you want to be taken seriously.

Lower business taxes - great.

More RCMP - great.

Paid for with... ???
ScottRoss
Fledgling

Post by ScottRoss »

Richard, I would hope writing policies with a level of detail where no other candidate is would warrant some seriousness.

I have described in the thread on a Lower Business Property Tax and other threads how I would pay for that tax reduction. Finding $300,000 out of a city budget that has increased from $84.4 million in 2008 to $96.6 million in 2011 for something that must be our first priority will of course not be pleasant, but it is a decision I stand by.

I take all policies seriously, and when other candidates post policies I hope others do as well.
richardtaylor1973

ScottRoss wrote:Richard, I would hope writing policies with a level of detail where no other candidate is would warrant some seriousness.

I have described in the thread on a Lower Business Property Tax and other threads how I would pay for that tax reduction. Finding $300,000 out of a city budget that has increased from $84.4 million in 2008 to $96.6 million in 2011 for something that must be our first priority will of course not be pleasant, but it is a decision I stand by.

I take all policies seriously, and when other candidates post policies I hope others do as well.

Thanks for the response. I'll take a look through the 'Lower Business Property Tax' thread. I obviously jumped the gun on that one. My apologies.

Regarding the RCMP. I very much agree with you. But I don't see a full explanation of how it would be paid for.

Anti-gang unit - provincial funding. Officers in our community (and ensuring they are properly resourced) - ___ (???)

Can you fill in the blank for us.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I want to know what a "fully resourced police force" is.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
ScottRoss
Fledgling

Post by ScottRoss »

Richard, I would like to point out that I value discussion, I think it makes us all better off, but I do think questioning the seriousness of a candidate could have been handled with more tact. For me, candidates that offer policy should be taken more seriously than those that don't and I believe I have one of the most detailed and most researched platforms in this election.

I will acknowedge I did not account for every dollar of the business property tax reduction for many reasons, one being that it is a part of budget discussions. I did point to two specific programs I wanted reduced and eliminated, while showcasing other departments that should have their budgets reduced, not out of malice, but out of priority.

In regards to filling in that blank I cannot say with certainty where in the end that funding will come from, it is part of budget discussions, but I will point to various departments that have significantly increased their spending in recent years and that are a lower priority than having an adequate police force. These departments and programs include: Recreation & Cultural Services; Bicycle Networks; Parks; Beaches, & Sportsfields; Regional Services; Parks & Public Spaces; and Real Estate & Building Services.
Last edited by ScottRoss on Oct 23rd, 2011, 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ScottRoss
Fledgling

Post by ScottRoss »

GF, in terms of my policy a fully resourced police force is one that is not inadequately staffed and every officer is properly equipped to do his or her job.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

K. Wondered if it meant a full forensics unit, labs, etc. I watch a lot of cop shows :D
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

While Kelowna needs another 50 police officers, the RCMP is not the solution for effective community policing.
Kelowna needs a Municipal/Provincial force that is run by the CIty/Province, and not someone in Ottawa.
What the RCMP do with their resources is not dictated by our City council.

Taxpayers, also need not be paying to babysit gangsters!
Our Federal RCMP force can deal with them with Canada wide funding from all taxpayers.
Kelowna is full of Gangsters, and the RCMP aren't even making a dent.

Do not expect Joe taxpayer to support the need for more RCMP members that aren't even mandated to deal with the thousands of crazy fool drivers here that act like outlaws and disobey all the laws.

I am sick and tired of the RCMP(an un-accountable police force) using our tax dollars and not providing us with basic law and traffic enforcement. Kelowna is full of drivers who need to be ticketted, which will provide revenue for our Municipal force, mandated by our own Council, who speak and act for us citizens.

We need a police force accountable to the City and the people it represents.
While the RCMP are good for monitoring "Federal criminals" they are not the only force needed.

Ever wonder why there are so many crazy disobedient drivers in Kelowna?
It's because of the lack of proper law enforcement, for so long!

The RCMP are not even close to being accountable, nor do they have to be, as they are Federal.

Lets see an RCMP balance statement, and see what kind of business they are running, and where our tax dollars are going, and then we can begin to talk.

And......for the record, the RCMP don't even respond to all complaints, it's all about priorities.
And for the most part, community policing doesn't exist.
richardtaylor1973

ScottRoss wrote:Richard, I would like point out that I value discussion, I think it makes us all better off, but I do think questioning the seriousness of a candidate could have been handled with more tact. For me, candidates that offer policy should be taken more seriously than those that don't and I believe I have one of the most detailed and most researched platforms in this election.

Scott - I apologized once already regarding not having read your proposals on another thread for the funding of a business tax cut.

At Thursday's forum, you were advised by an audience member that you were coming over as "very aggressive" at the forum.

You are doing so again in this forum.

Further advice (if you care for it) is simple: if you are going to make bold platform statements expect to be challenged on them. If they involve spending money, expect to be asked how they will be paid for.

On the campaign trail, I believe you will find people who are much less aligned with your platform than I am, and who will challenge you much more aggressively.

As a candidate your levels of tact need to be higher than the electorate. May seem unfair, but it's true.
ScottRoss
Fledgling

Post by ScottRoss »

Richard, I want discussion, it is valuable to our democratic process and to me. I do not think I presented any hostility towards criticism of my position, but if I am wrong, I am always open to correction. I want people to ask all candidates what they stand for and what policies they think are best for Kelowna. For me, I am confident in my abilities and knowledge and I never back down from of any discussion or debate, as long as it is civil, that is why I post my policies on here.
richardtaylor1973

Scott - thanks for your response. I guess my point is that calling one of your supporters (which I am) out on a lack of tact, is perhaps not the most tactful response in itself. There's a couple of other threads where it seems that you're spending more time debating the participants conduct than the issue. It seems aggressive. Hold yourself to a higher standard that the forum rabble such as me :-) :ohmygod:

But let's get back to the debate you opened with your policy statement: :backtotopic:

"I will work with others on council to ensure public safety is our city's first priority and that funding for our RCMP force is increased."

What do you imagine that will entail? What do you think to UltraViolet's suggestion above that we need a Municipal/Provincial force. I'm inclined to agree. With the recent Geoff Mantler issue, confidence in the RCMP is low. Do we need a CoKPD? :chased:

(PS - can you tell I found the smilies) :nyah:
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Anyone can correct me if I am wrong ...

The way I understand things with the RCMP in town is that they have several "divisions". There's the Traffic Division who go after all the speeders, cell phoners, seatbelt infractions, etc and traffic accidents. There's the Major Crimes Unit (which is not even housed at the cop shop) and they look after the murder investigations and the gangs (maybe?), There's the drug division who deals with drug related issues. And I guess there's also a General Duty-type bunch, too.

So, suppose we have 200 cops in town but not all the cops deal with all the crime issues. They each have their specialties and specific duties. So their numbers are rather divided, right? When that Bacon got fried at the Grand, the traffic cops didn't get involved with it except maybe to watch for the getaway vehicles, right? That was the Major Crimes guys??? And the guy from Major Crimes in the cop car next to a texter at a light won't ticket him because it's not his mandate, right? That's for the traffic guys to do?

ScottRoss
Fledgling

Post by ScottRoss »

Discussion on council will be broad, it will require going over the reports I linked to in greater detail as well as compiling better comparative data on crime rates in different municipalities. I believe most if not all councillors will agree that public safety is the utmost responsibility of those in elected office, our own constitution embodies that belief. Once recognized I don't imagine how a Block Party program and similar programs would still be given priority over properly funding our police officers.

Though I have specifically referenced the RCMP, the puropose of the above policy is to provide Kelowna with an appropriate level of law enforcement. My opinion on the current policing debate is that I would favour the RCMP remaining our force (A) if their proposed contract for the province was shorter than the 20 year term currently presented or (B) if the civilian oversight body was given greater powers and was not expected to take long to gain legitimacy. If neither (A) or (B) cannot be met then I would support a Municipal or Provincial force. I cannot say which of those would be optimal but I think if the province is put in the position that it must reject the RCMP contract then I think Victoria will dictate our choice anyway.
Ub2
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Ub2 »

Scott, could you expound on the Block Party programs.

Return to “C.E. Kelowna”