4%
Kim Ouellette
22%

Total votes: 97

Ub2
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Mayoral Poll

Post by Ub2 »

I was just about to give Castanet kudos for remaining neutral, until this little stunt. All news organizations have a bias, and this one's is showing.

By the way that's why I am against on-line voting; the process cannot be assured to be secure, only to be compromised by spoilers.
fisherking

Post by fisherking »

I can't say who was responsible or why Castanet chose to reset my poll. But had I known they would do that part way through, I would never have started it.
Takin it easy !
Übergod

Post by Takin it easy ! »

Its interesting to note on the original poll that has been replaced that Cal Condy had 19% of the vote he now has 3%.
Ms Ouellette was at 2 or 3% now sitting at 26% how did that happen ?

Mr Condy according to people that voted in the poll was in 3rd place Walter 2nd and Sharon with a lead.
wilde

Post by wilde »

The legacy of the current city is dismal and to a great degree embarrassing. Most civic discussion revolves around growth vs some euphemism for balance, but it's the silent issue that revolves around a social community and it's in this the area that I find the current administration has failed completely.
Yes, the current administration can take credit for eradicating bunnies and painting green on some roads, but the serious issues are covered with weasel words and smiling photo ops. It's as if the Mayor and her council have been viewing all of us through wax paper. Sort of in a fog!
Just because some of us don't wear spandex and ride bicycles does not mean we should be ignored in the way we have been. Take riding a bus. If you are lucky enough to be on a bus route you can enjoy those double decker rides. Most jurisdictions in North America have moved to vehicles that accommodate mobility problems. Not here, and a huge part of our population can't climb those stairs. The same kinds of attitudes abound with regard to snow removal and sanding in the winter, with street lighting and with sweeping. If you live in a seniors area good luck, and don't bother writing to city hall as that is sad.
In the end it comes down to thinking about and serving the needs of "all" citizens" with a modicum of dignity.
For those who have raised the issue of age in this election i would suggest that life experience can be more important that
than spandex and catering to every little self interest group. Requesting to be thought about with dignity should not be to much to ask. That the current administration has failed to do that is something they probably will use every weasel word in the book to deny. All this polling won't change the fact that many of us have been ignored by City Hall and I guess that the big poll on voting day is the only thing left for us to try.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

wilde wrote:The legacy of the current city is dismal and to a great degree embarrassing. Most civic discussion revolves around growth vs some euphemism for balance, but it's the silent issue that revolves around a social community and it's in this the area that I find the current administration has failed completely.
Yes, the current administration can take credit for eradicating bunnies and painting green on some roads, but the serious issues are covered with weasel words and smiling photo ops. It's as if the Mayor and her council have been viewing all of us through wax paper. Sort of in a fog!
Just because some of us don't wear spandex and ride bicycles does not mean we should be ignored in the way we have been. Take riding a bus. If you are lucky enough to be on a bus route you can enjoy those double decker rides. Most jurisdictions in North America have moved to vehicles that accommodate mobility problems. Not here, and a huge part of our population can't climb those stairs. The same kinds of attitudes abound with regard to snow removal and sanding in the winter, with street lighting and with sweeping. If you live in a seniors area good luck, and don't bother writing to city hall as that is sad.
In the end it comes down to thinking about and serving the needs of "all" citizens" with a modicum of dignity.
For those who have raised the issue of age in this election i would suggest that life experience can be more important that
than spandex and catering to every little self interest group. Requesting to be thought about with dignity should not be to much to ask. That the current administration has failed to do that is something they probably will use every weasel word in the book to deny. All this polling won't change the fact that many of us have been ignored by City Hall and I guess that the big poll on voting day is the only thing left for us to try.

In fairness, wilde, I think your gripe is more to do with city staff than council. Council does not set routes for buses, street cleaning, snow removal or changing light bulbs in street lights. Council also did not set out where the green cycling lanes would be, either. Council's job is to approve (or not) the funding for things, then staff decides who, what, when, where and why.

However, if a citizen has a gripe with staff decisions on specific issues, then council is the place to address your concerns when going to the department supervisor doesn't work. Getting on the agenda is good, letters and phone calls are also good.

Are there specific people at city hall you have contacted? (Other than members of council, I mean.)
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Driscoll

Post by Driscoll »

Takin it easy ! wrote:Its interesting to note on the original poll that has been replaced that Cal Condy had 19% of the vote he now has 3%.
Ms Ouellette was at 2 or 3% now sitting at 26% how did that happen ?

Mr Condy according to people that voted in the poll was in 3rd place Walter 2nd and Sharon with a lead.

This castanet article is Cal's last nail in the coffin: http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-66448-1-.htm#66448.
JBoyd

Post by JBoyd »

Driscoll wrote:
This castanet article is Cal's last nail in the coffin: http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-66448-1-.htm#66448.

I left Wal-Mart last night to find my car solicited with a flyer from Cal Condy, I am surprised that he would stoop to such a ridiculous form of advertisement, I also believe that the cities bylaws prevent solicitation on vehicles, as well as Wal-Mart's own policies probably prevent it as well (the parking lot being Wal-Mart's private property). If this truly the case then I think he should step down as a candidate, why would we want a mayor that is so willing to skirt around city bylaws?
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

We havent heard much from Mr. Condy since last week's mayor debate.
Is it possible he said everything he had to say then?
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Chris Brown 66 wrote:I would love to see a council made up of Sharon Sheppard, Mary-Ann Graham, Michelle Rule, Charlie Hodge, Bobby Kenedy, Luke Stack, Graham James,Shane Herrington,Robert Hobson. I good diverse council from all areas of Kelowna. With both gender and age equality.

Jesus, are you going to put this in every single thread?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

JBoyd wrote:
Driscoll wrote:

I left Wal-Mart last night to find my car solicited with a flyer from Cal Condy, I am surprised that he would stoop to such a ridiculous form of advertisement, I also believe that the cities bylaws prevent solicitation on vehicles, as well as Wal-Mart's own policies probably prevent it as well (the parking lot being Wal-Mart's private property). If this truly the case then I think he should step down as a candidate, why would we want a mayor that is so willing to skirt around city bylaws?

Cal is a supporter of Occupy Kelowna, so perhaps bylaws don't apply to him.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

wilde wrote:The legacy of the current city is dismal and to a great degree embarrassing. Most civic discussion revolves around growth vs some euphemism for balance, but it's the silent issue that revolves around a social community and it's in this the area that I find the current administration has failed completely.

Hmm interesting post. You do know that council doesn’t maintain or not allowed to advise the transit authority re: bus routes and such, these are controlled in Victoria? You do know that Shepherd is on record for approaching Victoria on busing issues in Kelowna and has began negotiating to have Kelowna control Kelowna’s bus routes and schedules for almost a year now. You do know it was the current council that lobbied for extended services, improvements along Hwy 97, and the purposed bus exchanges in the Mission and Rutland? Sorry, but you sound like a Wally supporter, writing rhetoric without proof to cast doubt on current council’s abilities. Nice try. Why don’t you ask Wally and his supporters these very questions . . . I guarantee you, they don’t care to the extent you are claiming current council doesn’t. Greening Kelowna’s Future addresses all of your issues, if you take some time to explore it.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Getting close people, put your money where your mouth is and get out and vote! All we can say for sure is that no matter who is elected, there will be squawking and fussing. I'll be glad when this is all done and we can move on . . .
I haven't failed until I quit.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Here is my 'money or mouth'??

Okey, here goes:

SHEPHERD

Zimmerman
Hobson
Hodge
Stack