Councillors Missing Meetings & Being Late

IlluminatiDunce

Re: Councillors Missing Meetings & Being Late

Post by IlluminatiDunce »

Required going through every meeting's minutes http://www.kelowna.ca/CM/Page164.aspx . Note an "*" denotes partial or late attendance. Craig has more asterisks than Barry Bonds
IlluminatiDunce

In missing and being late for over 30% of the meetings, Craig and Blanleil just show that they don't have to be there to do a great job. My tiny mind can't fathom how great a job they'd do if they never showed up, but I do know they'd still earn every cent of their government salaries.

Question does anyone know the term for giving people public funds for not being at work? What is that darn word, Wel-...Welf-... Jeez it's on the tip of my tongue.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

IlluminatiDunce wrote:In missing and being late for over 30% of the meetings, Craig and Blanleil just show that they don't have to be there to do a great job. My tiny mind can't fathom how great a job they'd do if they never showed up, but I do know they'd still earn every cent of their government salaries.

Question does anyone know the term for giving people public funds for not being at work? What is that darn word, Wel-...Welf-... Jeez it's on the tip of my tongue.

Earn?? Are you sure you don't mean "receive" every cent of their government salaries? To "earn" something means you did some work ... right? About the only thing I can see that Blanleil did was axe everything that didn't fit his own personal agenda (and his old boys' club friends).
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
IlluminatiDunce

Stop being so hard on our councilors, but I guess you are just hedging your bet, since Criag and Blanleil miss so many council meeting they will probably miss your post.
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

IlluminatiDunce wrote:In missing and being late for over 30% of the meetings, Craig and Blanleil just show that they don't have to be there to do a great job. My tiny mind can't fathom how great a job they'd do if they never showed up, but I do know they'd still earn every cent of their government salaries.

I get your tiny mind can't comprehend Blanleil is uselessness on council, and Craig was young and a full time student so I'll cut him some slack. But Blanleil needs to go more so than any other current councilor this time around. As for attendance in general, a mayor has far more responsibilities and appearances to attend; it's not surprising to see some missed meetings. Councilors can’t be expected to make every meeting. Most have jobs and other responsibilities they need to balance. Blanleil record shows his attitude as clear as day.
TimmyE
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by TimmyE »

Very good post. Attendance is important. Unfortunately, I can't cut Kevin Craig any slack because he should have realized the time commitment right off the top. After all, he did thorough research on the topics to get up to speed before he won the last by-election. Maybe he should have waited until after he graduated to run for council, but then maybe a real job would have got in the way of attending meetings.
I dunno
Fledgling

Post by I dunno »

I don't know if Hobson has any business/other activities but maybe we should allow Blanleil and Craig to devote 100% of their time to their real occupation. While they don't get paid a whole lot, they should attend as required.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

There can always be instances of conflicting scheduling but if you are missing upwards of 30% of meetings then your priorities are out of whack. They don't belong in the positions and should be voted out.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Sitting on a council is a part time gig and pays next to nothing, and usually goes to extremely busy working folks.

What do you expect...
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
EdCase
Board Meister

Post by EdCase »

Captain Awesome wrote:Sitting on a council is a part time gig and pays next to nothing, and usually goes to extremely busy working folks.

What do you expect...

What I expect is for them to at least show up for meetings and other duties they have. Collectively we are paying them close to a quarter million dollars and we have a right to expect them to fully meet their obligations. If they view their council membership as 'a part-time gig' or resume padder, they should should have the honesty not to run.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane
Marcus Aurelius
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

IlluminatiDunce wrote:Our councillors don't get paid, if they did they wouldn't be late and miss over 30% of the meetings. I know they wouldn't collect their pay cheques if they were late and missed that many meetings, they do have principles.

I am not quite sure what your point of view is in this thread, either you are seriously confused, or are supporters of useless overpaid underworked council members.
Showing attendance records in an attempt to prove that most council members make a habit of being absent or late, is a great idea, but being naive, and/or pretending their pay is not worth showing for is just plain wrong.

These bums(all of council) need to be replaced with people who take their job seriously, and will be under the microscope.
Poor attendence means they are far to smart to have to attend meetings, and their personal time means more than what they are getting paid for.

Can you spell "Fired"
Something that should happen when you are late or absent too many times, regardless of your present lifestyle.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I agree it is time for Blanleil to go. He has been there so long he has his own little empire on staff. Time to get rid of the empires at City Hall.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

Captain Awesome wrote:Sitting on a council is a part time gig and pays next to nothing, and usually goes to extremely busy working folks.

What do you expect...

I expect them to do what is expected of them to do. Attend meetings and represent the people of Kelowna. Anything short of this, they should not run in the first place.
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

grammafreddy wrote:I agree it is time for Blanleil to go. He has been there so long he has his own little empire on staff. Time to get rid of the empires at City Hall.

Can't agree more. Can he take Ron Mattiussi with him when he goes. That guy is more often than not the oil in the bucket of water.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Mtn Biker wrote:
grammafreddy wrote:I agree it is time for Blanleil to go. He has been there so long he has his own little empire on staff. Time to get rid of the empires at City Hall.

Can't agree more. Can he take Ron Mattiussi with him when he goes. That guy is more often than not the oil in the bucket of water.

It's time for Mattiussi to go, too. He is a large part of the problems at City Hall IMO. Behind the scenes, he does a lot of damage and controls far too much to make things go the way he wants them.

Return to “C.E. Kelowna”