My current choices...

EdCase
Board Meister

My current choices...

Post by EdCase »

...so far for council, based on a combination of past/current performance, stated positions, experience & personal style, are:

Incumbents - Shepherd, Rule, Stack

New candidates I am leaning toward - Singh, Shaw, Thompson, Given, Mabey, Basran

Candidates I definitely will not vote for based on the same criteria - Gray, Blanleil, Hobson, Hodge, James, Reid-Nagy, Craig, Gran, DeHart, Herrington, Zimmerman

I do not yet know enough about the other candidates to offer an opinion as yet but will be watching with interest.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane
Marcus Aurelius
SimonShaw
Fledgling

Re: My current choices...

Post by SimonShaw »

EdCase wrote:New candidates I am leaning toward - Singh, Shaw, Thompson, Given, Mabey, Basran

Thank you for your support! I will be holding a meet and greet soon. Location, time and day is yet to be confirmed.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Why Shepherd? I will vote for anyone but her.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

Lady tehMa wrote:Why Shepherd? I will vote for anyone but her.

Why not Shepherd? She's done a great job considering the economy, and other things. She's inclusive of all citizens and groups, and doesn't marginalize anyone. If you're leaning to Wally Old Man Gray . . . spare us - he's a step backwards more so than any other.

I agree with Ed for the most part. I thought Basran did a commendable job at the Habitat last week. Of all the new candidates, he seems ready to take on the roles and responsibilities that come with a seat on council - actually answered the question without repeating the previous answer. Can't say that for many others.
EdCase
Board Meister

Post by EdCase »

Lady tehMa wrote:Why Shepherd? I will vote for anyone but her.

Lady - you're certainly entitled to your opinion by it would be helpful if you stated why you feel this way about Shepherd.

Why do I support her? I have had the opportunity to work with her and think she has a coherent vision for what Kelowna can be. Is she perfect?; no, but I do not see another candidate who would be significantly better. I am very opposed to the election of Walter Gray as I see this as a return to a small-town, good-old-boy style of politics that we need to leave behind.

In picking my choices I also tried to encompass diversity in the composition of council to represent economic and community issues.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane
Marcus Aurelius
IlluminatiDunce

Post by IlluminatiDunce »

Singh, Shaw and BAsran have my vote too! I vote for people with no platforms it shows they are tall enough to not need policies to stand on.
Gramps60

Post by Gramps60 »

ARe we going to continue putting people on council who do not live in kelowna
see todays Capital paper page A7
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

Gramps60 wrote:ARe we going to continue putting people on council who do not live in kelowna

care to elaborate? for those of us who do not get that newspaper...
EdCase
Board Meister

Post by EdCase »

Logitack wrote:
Gramps60 wrote:ARe we going to continue putting people on council who do not live in kelowna

care to elaborate? for those of us who do not get that newspaper...

I guess he's referring to Colin Basran whose jurisdiction is listed as West Kelowna. Here is a young man who was born, raised and educated in Kelowna; he has also worked here most of his life. He is passionate about Kelowna and is working hard to address the issue of having an economy that allows our young people to live and prosper here.

I really have no issue with him living in West Kelowna and the point is moot anyway: eligibility is governed by a provincial Act and says clearly that you do not have to live in the jurisdiction in order to run.
Marcus Aurelius
SimonShaw
Fledgling

Post by SimonShaw »

IlluminatiDunce wrote:Singh, Shaw and BAsran have my vote too! I vote for people with no platforms it shows they are tall enough to not need policies to stand on.

Thank you for your support!!!
IlluminatiDunce

Post by IlluminatiDunce »

You're welcome, people without platforms need all the help they can get.
EdCase
Board Meister

Post by EdCase »

IlluminatiDunce wrote:You're welcome, people without platforms need all the help they can get.

Simon - you did rather walk into that one! Just remember; there are those, like you, who have the courage to put themselves forward to serve the community and then there are the rest of us who just like to snipe anonymously from the sidelines.
Marcus Aurelius
SimonShaw
Fledgling

Post by SimonShaw »

EdCase wrote:Simon - you did rather walk into that one!

I hear ya, I was so excited to see someone support me in the Castanet forums that I missed the sarcasm.
richardtaylor1973

Post by richardtaylor1973 »

EdCase wrote:Incumbents - Shepherd, Rule, Stack

New candidates I am leaning toward - Singh, Shaw, Thompson, Given, Mabey, Basran

EdCase - Rather surprised, given your input in the thread I started on Mayor Shepherd and Kelowna's economy (you know - the one I 'disingenuously' started :-) ) - that we have a lot in common when it comes to the new candidates.

I'd be leaning: Abstain (mayor); James, Stack, Blanleil, Zimmerman, Basran, Mabey, Gran, Given but would be happy to see Singh, Shaw, Thompson, in place of any of those. Michelle Rule's work ethic is second to none, but I could't vote for someone that was so instrumental in the CD21 decision.

Just wish someone credible (e.g Luke Stack) had taken a run at Mayor. Then I'd have someone to get behind rather than seeming so bloody negative whenever the Mayorship is mentioned.
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

I think Shepherd, Michelle Rule and Luke Stack will be my choices.
There may be a newcomer who also gets a vote, but I will only vote for three councilors.

I'd like to be able to vote for a new Mayor, but compared to the alternatives Shepherd is by far the best candidate.
I'm afraid if I abstained someone other than Shepherd would get in.
I mean look at the candidates. We have someone we overwhelmingly voted out 6 years ago (Walter Gray), a giant whiner with a "well whatever the population wants"-platform (Cal), a seemingly incompetent lady who has run in the last few elections who doesn't even have a basic grasp of the English language (Kim) and someone whose platform says "I can't come up with any solutions right now, but I hope platitudes will sway your vote" (Ken).

Return to “C.E. Kelowna”