Modified Ward System

sunnybeach

Re: Modified Ward System

Post by sunnybeach »

The ward system, in my opinion, is one of the worst systems to have. In the ward system, a Councilllor would only look after the area in which they were elected instead of what is best for the City as a whole. In a Ward system Councillors would become very lazy unless the issue being brought up concerned their area directly.

To my knowlege there isn't any city in B.C. that has a ward system, some have a modified system such as Lake Country. Therefore Mr. Ross I will not be voting for you or anyone else who supports a Ward System.
ScottRoss
Fledgling

Post by ScottRoss »

Sunnybeach to be clear I do not support a ward system, I support a system that holds four councillors accountable to regions and the other four in addition to the Mayor are at large. Lake Country has a modified ward system and a vast majority of citizens prefer it and have voted to retain it. I would also add that a complete ward system is common in other provinces and is used in many cities with over 80,000 in the United States.

I respect your opinion, would you be able to inform me how a modified ward system which holds councillors accountable is not to be preferred?
sunnybeach

Post by sunnybeach »

Well let me tell you why. Lets say that you had 5 councillors from the City proper (Including The Mission) and 1 from
Glenmore,1 from Rutland and 1 at large. Guess what would happen? Glenmore would be AN OTHER so would Rutland. It
doesnt matter how you divide the areas it will still be....... I want this for my area and the HECK with the rest of you

Could you Pls tell me where besides Lake country there is a Ward System? Does Kamloops? Vancouver? Vernon? Victoria?

I do think School Districts have Ward Systems because they usually comprise more than 1 city or district
ScottRoss
Fledgling

Post by ScottRoss »

Sunnybeach I think there is a miscomunication. A modified ward system, as the majority of elected representatives are elected at large, would prevent balkanization while providing accountability, more representative officials, smaller candidate lists and smaller constituencies.

I support a modified ward system which would have councillors representing the following areas:
1 councillor-Glenmore
1 councillor-Rutland
1 councillor-Mission
1 councillor-Downtown (Central City)
4 councillors-at large
Mayor-at large

I acknowledge Lake Country is the only city in BC with a modified ward system, and that it is popular there, but outside of BC many cities across Canada use a ward system as well as most cities in the US with over 80,000 people.

Just a select few of the cities in Canada with a ward system:
Charlottetown
Toronto
Guelph
Edmonton
Calgary
Montreal
Pickering
Saskatoon
Winnipeg
Saint John (Modified Ward System)
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

EdCase wrote:I'm still not sure that Kelowna on its own is large enough for a ward system. What I would like to see is one much larger municipality from Lake Country to Peachland. This would be far more cost effective and a ward system would ensure that individual localities needs are represented. Having all these small municipalities makes as much sense as having the north shore of Vancouver split into West Vancouver, District of North Vancouver and City of North Vancouver.

Everybody talks about smaller government but no one has the guts to take bold measures.

When it comes to governments, bigger is not better. It is somewhat counter-intuitive, but a larger city population means the per capita costs are higher, generally.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
tumbledry

Post by tumbledry »

So is a Councillor's primary obligation to their ward or to the city as a whole? Scott if you were elected to represent a ward and an issue was detrimental to your ward but beneficial to every other area of the city, how would you vote?
ScottRoss
Fledgling

Post by ScottRoss »

Tumbledry that is a great question, very apt. In every vote I would vote for what I think produces the greater good, considering the short and long term as well as reflecting on my principles. I would have no hesitation voting for something that does not benefit my ward as long as it is something I believe in. The great thing of wards is that I would have a better opportunity explaining my decision to 30,000 constituents than every councillor now who has 120,000 to reach out to.
EdCase
Board Meister

Post by EdCase »

Glacier wrote:
EdCase wrote:I'm still not sure that Kelowna on its own is large enough for a ward system. What I would like to see is one much larger municipality from Lake Country to Peachland. This would be far more cost effective and a ward system would ensure that individual localities needs are represented. Having all these small municipalities makes as much sense as having the north shore of Vancouver split into West Vancouver, District of North Vancouver and City of North Vancouver.

Everybody talks about smaller government but no one has the guts to take bold measures.

When it comes to governments, bigger is not better. It is somewhat counter-intuitive, but a larger city population means the per capita costs are higher, generally.

Examples please; otherwise this is just an opinion.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane
Marcus Aurelius
Ub2
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Ub2 »

Regina has had a ward system since the early 1900's, in it's present form since the early 1970's and it works extremely well. They have 10 wards. Population around 210,000.

In the 70's, the population to councillor ratio would be approximately the same as Kelowna's is now.

Councillors represent the city as a whole of course, but also must be held accountable for their districts; much like a MP or MLA.

A modified ward system would be better than none, but I would prefer a standard ward system such as Regina's for better representation and accountability.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

EdCase wrote:Examples please; otherwise this is just an opinion.

Pick any two municipalities you like and see for yourself... Vancouver and Kelowna... Vernon and Lumby....etc. Okay, okay, the trend doesn't always hold since there are other factors as well effecting individual rates, but the general trend applies.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
ScottRoss
Fledgling

Post by ScottRoss »

With how our current councillors are elected at large or city-wide, they only are encouraged to do what is popular and what isn't necessarily right. Our councillors represent almost 120,000 people, to make the hard choice they would have to explain their decision to the whole city, which is not only difficult but practically impossible. Councillors representing wards could make the tough calls and be able to better explain to their 30,000 or so constituents their decision. This is just one reason why I support a modified ward system, my full policy can be read here: http://scottrossforkelowna.com/2011/09/25/a-modified-ward-system-for-kelowna/
sunnybeach

Post by sunnybeach »

Thank you very much Mr. Ross. You just proved my point. Councilors Should be accountable to all the citizens of our City,not just 30 000 as you suggest. With a Modified Ward System in Kelowna it would (Fight for my ward and who cares about my nieghbours) Therefore I will not be voting for you Thank You
ScottRoss
Fledgling

Post by ScottRoss »

Sunnybeach, as there continues to be a miscommunication, it is unfortunate. I do not support a full ward system where all councillors would fight against each other. I support a modified ward system where four councillors are elected by four regions and the majority of council is elected at large and thus would prevent any councillor from being only interested in one region. I hope that clarifies my position.
sunnybeach

Post by sunnybeach »

No I fully understand.It is you that don"t. Let me explain. Four in a ward system and four at large.What happens if the four at large are all from one area(say Glenmore). Guess what happens to Rutland or the downtown or God forbid the Mission. In a very large city it might work fine but not in Kelowna Thank you

P.S Yes I have read your policy fully and don"t agree with your stance on any Ward System or Modified Ward system. What we have now is the best type of goverance in the world. Thank You
ScottRoss
Fledgling

Post by ScottRoss »

Sunnybeach if the councillors at large represent a specific region than they would face a difficult re-election. Just as you expect councillors now to represent the whole city, those at large councillors would too.

Return to “C.E. Kelowna”