Tired of being an "other"

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Tired of being an "other"

Post by grammafreddy »

Cal - this didn't help you at all ... http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/66 ... -to-recuse
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
richardtaylor1973

Post by richardtaylor1973 »

grammafreddy wrote:Cal - this didn't help you at all ... http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/66 ... -to-recuse

Oh Dear. Note for any future mayoral candidates: secure a campaign manager with PR skills well in advance of campaign.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

"For the good of Kelowna and for the good of democracy I would respectfully request that you do just that and honourably step aside."

"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
MWDynomite

Post by MWDynomite »

Mr. Condy, I drive down Glenmore to work almost every day. I see a lot of signs from candidates and I like every sign I see, except for yours. Your sign is too small, way too plain, and only says "Cal for Mayor" with some weird logo. There's some other words but since I don't have giant eyes and I am driving I don't notice them. Every other sign is plain, perfect, and gets to the point. I was already disappointed in you after this rookie mistake and after reading your ridiculous posts and your plea on Castanet you have lost a vote. But not only one vote, you have lost the entire election IMO. If you ask me it should be you to drop out of the race to save yourself from further humiliation. You are a good person, but you would not be a good mayor. Take a lesson from Stéphane Dion, whining about your competition will not get you votes.
strikes&gutters
Board Meister

Post by strikes&gutters »

Hi Cal, I have four specific points to hit on regarding this issue.

1) Frontrunners garner more attention. For example, how many federal political parties are there? There are 18. Now how many do you see in an online poll during a federal election? Usually 3 or 4 (perhaps 5 in Quebec).

2) What you are failing to realize is that there was a time in the past when both Walter and Sharon would have been considered "others" as well. For Walter, it would have been before he became a succesful local business owner and then a city councillor back in the 80's. For Sharon, it would have been before she was active with community groups and residents associations. It takes time to gain the respect and trust of an electorate.

3) Complaining takes away from your campaign.

4) If you are serious about getting in to politices, get used to media inequalities and find a way to overcome it, rather than trying to disable it. Look at the Green Party - in 2008 Elizabeth May was in the debates and did NOT get elected, In 2011, she was NOT in the debates yet did get elected.
weavesilk

Post by weavesilk »

I'm definitely looking at all the candidates for Mayor, but after reading the article that you're asking Shepherd and Gray to recuse themselves from the mayorlty race, you will never get my vote. That is so ridiculous, it's laughable. After that suggestion, maybe you should recuse yourself from the race. Just sayin'.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

according to the Courier Cal has a theme song.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Swoop »

..."better to be thought of as a fool, than open one's mouth and remove all doubt"...
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Hell, I didn't even know recuse was a word ...

Definition of RECUSE
transitive verb
: to disqualify (oneself) as judge in a particular case; broadly
: to remove (oneself) from participation to avoid a conflict of interest

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/recuse
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
TimmyE
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by TimmyE »

Cal, you had my vote until you made that ridiculous "recuse" statement. If you want to be the mayor, then show me more than being a whiner. Yes, talk about Matiussi and yes, promise to take a pay cut. Let's here more about your ideas and not about wanting Shepherd and Gray to get out of the way.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

grammafreddy wrote:Hell, I didn't even know recuse was a word ...

Definition of RECUSE
transitive verb
: to disqualify (oneself) as judge in a particular case; broadly
: to remove (oneself) from participation to avoid a conflict of interest

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/recuse

yes, it is a wonderful word and seldom used. PIty - I love words and the power they provide
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

strikes&gutters wrote:
4) If you are serious about getting in to politices, get used to media inequalities and find a way to overcome it, rather than trying to disable it. Look at the Green Party - in 2008 Elizabeth May was in the debates and did NOT get elected, In 2011, she was NOT in the debates yet did get elected.

Interesting comment, the Daily Courier has scheduled a forum between the two candidates Grey and Sheppard, but on Tuesday, September 16, 2008, Don Plant of the Daily Courier reported the exclusion of May as follows;

Party Leader Elizabeth May won a lot of support when she was temporarily shut out of the leaders‘ debate set for early October – a move Reid blames squarely on Harper and NDP Leader Jack Layton.
She has received emails from Conservative voters and other party supporters who promise to vote Green this time.
“People were outraged by the lack of democracy,” she said.

The Daily Courier response to a two candidate forum is that the people of Kelowna have decided it is a two candidate race, well no one has asked me yet.

In the last election 25% of the voters, voted against Sheppard, whether it was a protest vote or not, it did show that 25% of the population was not in favor of Sheppard continuing as Mayor. This time we have a choice and a news organization should not be limiting our right to hear from the candidates.

When people talk about the "old boys group" I hope they include the Daily Courier as part of that group.
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I've noticed Cal Condy disappeared after this media fiasco off Castanet completely.

Can't blame him though.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
UnknownResident
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by UnknownResident »

Captain Awesome wrote:I've noticed Cal Condy disappeared after this media fiasco off Castanet completely.

Can't blame him though.

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=35872
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

UnknownResident wrote:
Captain Awesome wrote:I've noticed Cal Condy disappeared after this media fiasco off Castanet completely.

Can't blame him though.

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=35872

Yup, that's the only post in a week as opposed to multiple daily ones he used to do.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.

Return to “C.E. Kelowna”