Is the Penticton Herald biased in its political reporting?

clouseau

Re: Is the Penticton Herald biased in its political reportin

Post by clouseau »

Is it not the purpose or intent of an editorial to voice an opinion? Obviously there is going to be a degree of bias whenever an opinion is voiced, that is why it is an editorial is on the editorial opinion page.

However an editorial opinion should not be confused with biased reporting or biased political coverage that is something different.

There is no question in my mind as a reader of the ‘Herald that it has become more the James Miller Herald since Miller became the editor but that is simply my own opinion.
Jamesie
Fledgling

Post by Jamesie »

Captain77 wrote: Does Miller print all letters to the editor? I've always wondered if there are people who have expressed opinions (differing from his own) that he has chosen not to print.

No he does not, I know for a fact that many anti-prison letters were not published. Don't know about other topics, but one would think that they have to make a selection, which does give them the chance to cherry pick, especially when an issue becomes contentious and generates lots of letters.
Last edited by Jamesie on Oct 27th, 2011, 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jamesie
Fledgling

Post by Jamesie »

Captain77 wrote:Is the Penticton Herald biased in it's political reporting? You bet. Why does the Herald not rotate the order of the mayoral candidates in their answers to 20 questions?

I totally agree that the Herald is biased. But in this one instance, especially since there are so few candidates, I actually find it convenient to have them appear in the same order every day.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

If you look back into every issue of the Penticton Herald for the last thirty years
you will see Dan Ashton's photo has appeared more often than all the mayors in the last thirty
years combined. Of course I didn't really do that, but I believe it, and I find it disturbing.
It means James Miller is pulling a fast one on the people of Penticton. It means James Miller is
tricking us into voting for Dan Ashton, just because we've seen his photo so often he is familiar
to us.

Who are the other candidates? I don't know. I know their names but I don't know much about them.
I do know Dan ashton went to watch a hockey game
at the Olympics in Vancouver. I do know the Lakeside resort donated some coins from their fountain to
the city of Penticton to help pay off the debt and Dan Ashton was there, smiling. I do know Dan Ashton stood before the new swimming pool because I saw it in the Penticton Herald.
James Miller made sure I know who Dan Ashton is, by placing his image in my newspaper dozens of times
in the last few years. And I find that repulsive. It shows you just can't trust the media.

Everyone should read 'The Media Monopoly' by ben Bagdikian. They would learn something about the media.
Here is a few paragraphs from the book:
In the last 5 years, a small number of the country's largest industrial corporations has acquired more public communications power-including ownership of the news-than any private businesses have ever before possessed in world history.
Nothing in earlier history matches this corporate group's power to penetrate the social landscape. Using both old and new technology, by owning each other's shares, engaging in joint ventures as partners, and other forms of cooperation, this handful of giants has created what is, in effect, a new communications cartel within the United States.
At issue is not just a financial statistic, like production numbers or ordinary industrial products like refrigerators or clothing. At issue is the possession of power to surround almost every man, woman, and child in the country with controlled images and words, to socialize each new generation of Americans, to alter the political agenda of the country. And with that power comes the ability to exert influence that in many ways is greater than that of schools, religion, parents, and even government itself.

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Media ... ikian.html

:runforlife:
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
clouseau

Post by clouseau »

On a different theme I would like to see more political coverage of City Hall from the Penticton Herald.

in the Penticton Herlad today Dan Ashton mentioned the City’s new “grant writer” who is apparently under contract. Did I miss the press release on this ? I know they have a press release writer under contract but I missed reading about a new contract being awarded for a grant writer. Did anyone hear anything about this in the media ? Was this contract untendered like the press release one was ? Do we even know who the contracted person is ? Considering the Provincial and Federal Government are both cutting spending is right now even a time to be hiring a grant writer when there is fewer grants ? Has the City ever missed out on grants before WITHOUT a grant writer ? I find these announcements, or lack of, quite troubling. I hope the Penticton Herald asks some questions about this…
Jamesie
Fledgling

Post by Jamesie »

Reading the editorial in the herald today it becomes clear that the answer to the question posed as the ttle of this thread is YES! The Herald is biased against people with a vision for the future of Penticton.

And no, James Miller, the prison issue is not dead as you well know, you are just trying to stir up apathy again and quietly slip the jail into a neighbouring community on behalf of your political masters. Besides, doesn't the Herald cover all of the South Okanagan? The prison is definitely not a dead issue in Summerland or Oliver!
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

The bias isn't isolated to just municipal politics. The location within the paper at which stories are printed is a big factor.

I noted with interest that it was reported today in the Penticton Herald that two men, have been fined for breaching election laws in the campaign of Kash Heed, the former BC Solicitor General. One man was Heed's campaign manager, the other a printer.

Supporting my position that the news media is either stupid, inept, or in bed with the Liberals is the fact that the article was buried in the "Canada in Brief" section on page A9,,, the front page and inside front page of Saturday's paper reserved for much more "pressing news", such as, a group is leasing 2 dressing rooms and an office in the Rutland arena, a crime report will be presented in two days by the RCMP and the Ogopogo float won some awards.

The details of the wrong doing was not provided in the page A9 article except to say "They were charged after anonymous pamphlets were distributed in the Vancouver -Fraserview riding attacking Heed's NDP opponent".

For those who have forgotten, the opponent, NDP candidate, Gabriel Yiu, lost the election by 748 votes after garish leaflets, in Chinese and English, were mailed to homes of Chinese Canadians already identified as pro-NDP or undecided voters in the riding. Other residences of strong supporters of Heed and the Liberal party did not receive the pamphlets.

The pamphlets were complete with pictures of syringes, coffins, and known criminals. They accused the NDP of wanting to legalize heroin and prostitution and bring in hefty inheritance taxes if elected.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
steadyeddie

Post by steadyeddie »

I find it self serving how when the City sold off 2.4 acres of the City yards to Brutus Truck Bodies Dan Ashston was front and centre in a huge photo on the front page of the Herald. As opposed to the City selling off the land West of the SOEC for a $1,375,000.00 dollar loss and Dan Ashton no where in site.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Exactly why I started this thread!! The Penticton Herald should be ashamed of themselves!! There will be more, just keep reading. Don't buy it though, that's exactly what they're after. Borrow it, read it online (though their online news is always outdated) take it out of your neighbour's birdcage, but just watch what these guys do!
Captain77
Fledgling

Post by Captain77 »

I just heard of ANOTHER letter to the editor that went against one of James Miller's pet positions that he did not print. I suppose he had to leave "room" for the Grumpy Slumps. I'm glad the Penticton Western News doesn't try to manage the thoughts of Penticton the way the Herald does. And from what I've heard about subscriptions, it's not a strategy that is working very well for them.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Captain77 wrote:And from what I've heard about subscriptions, it's not a strategy that is working very well for them.

There could be any number of reasons for that, more likely than not it is because of internet and television, trends that have been working against printed media for some years now. I think it's up to the reader to remain aware that anything you see in print has its source in human hands and should be treated as such. Whether or not you can trust a given source is a decision you must make on your own, as journalistic objectivity is more of an distant ideal than a hard-and-fast rule, and that the media, being made up of people is subject to bias in the direction of the opinions of those people. A little healthy skepticism can go a long way in separating the wheat from the chaff.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
beam-me-up-morrison

Post by beam-me-up-morrison »

I think The Herald provides pretty good City Council coverage. John Moorhouse is very far and accurate.
Problem is, an Ashton supporter will say that the paper's pro-Bloomfield, a Bloomfield supporter will say they're pro-Ashton. It's everyone's personal perception.
We're lucky to have a daily paper in Penticton.
As for Miller picking and choosing, I find it incredible the number of letters they do run... seven or eight this morning at least. Compare that with the Vancouvver Province or The Sun, five or six from all of B.C.

Return to “C.E. Penticton”