Choice for Mayor

Who would you like to see elected Mayor of DWK?

Doug Findlater
40%
Rosalind Neis
60%

Total votes: 70

Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Choice for Mayor

Post by Urbane »

If you were voting today would you vote for Findlater or Neis?
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Re: Choice for Mayor

Post by Urbane »

I can see that interest in this election is at a fever pitch!
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Because its the same ol Same ol. No new blood...and if there were...they probably wouldn't get elected because of name recognition.

just like whats happening in Kelowna...Walter Gray and Sharon Sheppard. who are the others...I don't know unless I look them up..but I know those 2 names almost by heart...cause well that's all they talk about.

But wasn't Findlator saying that he didn't want to go again for mayor yet here he is going for it...I guess pay is too easy to give up.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Bestside
Guru

Post by Bestside »

:127:
Last edited by Bestside on Nov 19th, 2011, 9:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Conservatives have whipped themselves into spasms of outrage and despair that block all strategic thinking" - David Frum
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Bestside, you talk about this Radical Westbank Cabal but you say that Gordon Ficke is "OK." Last time I heard him speak he was up before Council complaining about our postal code supposedly being changed and how "Westbank V4T" was important for everyone. Something like that anyway. I thought there would be a slate of candidates from what you call the Cabal but it doesn't seem to have come about. Interesting.

I think a bit of a role reversal has gone on here Bestside. You were all for incorporation. I vaguely recall you being slightly irritated with me a couple of times when I might have mentioned I favoured joining Kelowna. :127:

If I had to vote again on the governance issue I'd vote the same way. However, we're doing okay. The crunch will come in a couple of years when we have to assume our policing costs while still playing the game of "catch up" with the infrastructure we've let deteriorate (or never even established) over the past few decades. For mayor we either go with Findlater or Neis. I see no reason to "fire" Findlater and in fact I think that he and Council have done a good job of balancing the catch up needs with the need to keep taxes in line. As I say, the crunch will come in a couple of years though.

As for Council, I've met Gux Albrecht a few times and while I know nothing about his involvement as a developer I do believe he's a decent person with integrity. I taught his kids and they were certainly very well brought up by the way. I really like Brydon Winsby too (taught his daughter - great kid) and I'm sure he'll find the time to continue doing a great job. He speaks his mind (even coming out in favour of West Kelowna over Westbank when he knew there was a risk). David Knowles I like a lot (taught two of his kids! Great kids too!) He seems to be really level-headed and willing to listen. I also agree about Milsom - seems to have done a good job.

School Board - The only one I know there is Jerry Holowchak (taught one of his kids too!). I think he'd make an excellent school trustee although I wonder about the importance of school trustees in general. They seem to have very little influence as things are really run out of Victoria.

Anyway, those are my thoughts at this point. I always look forward to discussions with you Bestside and you even change my mind sometimes.
tiomio
Fledgling

Post by tiomio »

Bestside, I do agree with most of your evaluations, not all however. If Winsby is too busy - why is he even running? Ensign was involved with the areana, yes. Was the cost over-run on his back - no! And so he owns a gravel pit! What has that got to do with his ability to be on council? I know Rusty and he is a very smart man, very community oriented, knows how to deal with difficulties from his own experiences, etc. I think he would be great on council, along with Neis, both of them are willing to ask pertinent questions and demand answers!
westbanker
Fledgling

Post by westbanker »

an Ensign refresher. "powerless" against his own family

http://www.castanet.net/news/West-Kelow ... -some-heat
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Been thinking about this. Neis worked her behind off to start with, Findlater has continued just going by what's been happening in the community though I do know council plays a big part. I'm seeing big improvements over the last year. Still, there's lots to learn about who would be the best for the role of mayor.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Anyone on here get to the all candidates forum this evening? I had thought about going but then the World Series game distracted me and I changed my plans.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

Good morning, Urbane and all. I didn't vote on the straw poll yet, I'm undecided, yes really, one of those.

I'm probably leaning for Neis, and I'm bemused to see that Bestside has both candidates under Mary Mandarino's supposed thumb. Wow, Mary is one powerful woman, eh!

I'm probably leaning to Rosalind because she's fairly independent, although she first ran under the finger of the big developer Callahan (I believe) from Casa Loma when she was elected for the Join Kelowna slate. I've always been slightly concerned that she is a bit flaky, without any developed real political philosophy; she keeps on swing wildly between far right positions (flat tax, e.g.) and leftish positions.

Doug disappoints me on a number of points, but none that would lead me to say it would be a fatal error if he was re-elected. I don't know why he has allowed himself to join the cult-of-personality people of the world and have his picture and ramblings on the newsletter in the utilities bill inserts, and especially the last one when the election had started.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

occasional thoughts wrote:Good morning, Urbane and all. I didn't vote on the straw poll yet, I'm undecided, yes really, one of those.

I'm probably leaning for Neis, and I'm bemused to see that Bestside has both candidates under Mary Mandarino's supposed thumb. Wow, Mary is one powerful woman, eh!

I'm probably leaning to Rosalind because she's fairly independent, although she first ran under the finger of the big developer Callahan (I believe) from Casa Loma when she was elected for the Join Kelowna slate. I've always been slightly concerned that she is a bit flaky, without any developed real political philosophy; she keeps on swing wildly between far right positions (flat tax, e.g.) and leftish positions.

Doug disappoints me on a number of points, but none that would lead me to say it would be a fatal error if he was re-elected. I don't know why he has allowed himself to join the cult-of-personality people of the world and have his picture and ramblings on the newsletter in the utilities bill inserts, and especially the last one when the election had started.
Rosalind acquitted herself well during her year as Mayor and I would expect the same if she's successful this time out. And taking positions on the left and the right might be to her credit in that she's a pragmatist not motivated so much by ideology. I really have nothing against her but I just haven't seen a good reason to "fire" Doug. He appears to do his homework, he's knowledgeable about the issues, and he listens to people's concerns. I've emailed him a number of times and received replies back (as has Rosalind). In the end I expect this to be a close election and I have no idea who's going to win.

So far no one has mentioned anything about the forum last night and I've heard nothing from any source. I wonder if it was well attended and I wonder what issues are piquing the interest of the public. Or are there any? Perhaps people are generally happy with the way things are going and aren't that tuned in to the election campaign. I'd be interested to hear from the Council candidates who are not incumbents. How would they do things differently? As to Bestside's comments I have to agree with you OT. As well, I'm still not sure why he's okay with Gordon Ficke for the reason I mentioned in an earlier post. Go figure.
parachute
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by parachute »

At the All candidates meeting Findlater answered every question by looking at and reading from his notes (whether what he was reading was answering the question or not). He sounded very profound but "sounded" is the correct word.

Ophus did not stick to the rules as given and went off topic in order to answer a question NOT asked of him.

Albrect, Ensign, De Jong, Milsom, Robinson, Winsby, Zanon and Neis all did well.

Ficke and Sinclair left much to be desired. Smith was absent.

Poor Knowles needed help finding words and he put the mike in his ear! Sad.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Thanks Parachute! Was the event well attended? Did you get any sense of what the new-comers want to change? Any idea as to which candidate(s) had a lot of support last night? I know I should have attended but that World Series game ended up being really good!
parachute
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by parachute »

Based on how I feel today, I think that our 2011 to 2014 Council will be:

Milsom, Ophus, Zanon, Winsby, Albrecht and Ensign.

There are 3 of those people whom I would NEVER vote for but who I would or would not vote for is different than whom I think will be elected. Now I look at that list and ask myself which person sitting in the Mayor's chair, working with that bunch of 5 men and one woman, will give the District the best balanced governance?

My conclusion is that Findlater MUST GO and Neis (with all her faults) will serve me best.

Sorry, Bestdside, but that is my story and I will stick with it!!
VoteRandall

Post by VoteRandall »

It's great to see the discussion and interest in these forums. I don't think that the lack of activity and posting is truly representative of the feelings of the citizens. At least not the many that I've spoken with.

Last night's All Candidates Forum (Oct. 27th) was my first from the other side of the table, so to speak. I thought it was run well and it was reasonably well attended, all things considered. The people that attended listened intently and genuinely cared about what was being discussed. I'm sure there are lots of ideas on how to run things better, or worse even, but overall it went smoothly and the candidates were treated fairly. I've heard lots of feedback outside of this forum regarding who the "strong candidates" were but for obvious reasons I won't comment on that myself.

The question "what will the newcomers do differently" has come up a few times now. This presumes that all incumbents are the same, which of course they aren't. It's important for voters to spend time (like those currently posting to this forum are doing) to get a sense of who's doing good work and who should be replaced.

First and foremost I will listen, and I mean truly listen and understand what the citizens are saying. Listening is only good if action follows. We've spent 3 years building 7 master plans with more to come. Everyone agrees it's time to act but many are not confident that the current council is action oriented. Bryden Winsby said it well last night when he reminded everyone that this is a team of 6 (correction team of 7). Like any good team sometimes you need to change things up to be truly successful. Too many of the same thing does not make for an effective or successful team. For those there last night, I think you have to agree that there were many of the same and only a few that were different.

I offer a new perspective to council. A new perspective on business, the environment and for the average citizen. I believe this perspective will bring a balance to West Kelowna council that will enhance our ability to execute on plans, repair strained partnerships and relationships, and to build a solid and sustainable foundation for us all to build on in the years and decades ahead.

No question there are a few excellent councillors but it seems to me that they are making the others look better than they really are. It's up to you to decide which ones are truly capable of representing what you want out of your council.

If you want to know more please visit my website: http://www.randallrobinson.ca and send me your questions or comments.

Return to “C.E. West Kelowna”