Bobby Kennedy Castanet Video

BobbyKennedy

Bobby Kennedy Castanet Video

Post by BobbyKennedy »

Thanks for the opportunity for posting this video!

http://www.castanet.net/video/999/kennedy/

Send me feedback at http://www.bobbykennedy.ca
jfeves

Re: Bobby kennedy Castanet Video

Post by jfeves »

When I first saw your name and picture on the list of hopeful candidates, I will admit I laughed and thought you were just being a little goofy and not taking your candidacy seriously.

Now that I've watched your video you definitely have my vote, as you put some time into it and you clearly understand some of the important issues for people in our age bracket.

The young professionals in Kelowna who are forced to live paycheck to paycheck, and are never going to afford a home (or our own businesses). I don't know how to change this personally, but I do know that the few of us who end up staying in Kelowna are sick of making half of what we would make in any other city, and paying a hell of a lot more for the necessities of life.
BobbyKennedy

Post by BobbyKennedy »

jfeves wrote:When I first saw your name and picture on the list of hopeful candidates, I will admit I laughed and thought you were just being a little goofy and not taking your candidacy seriously.

Now that I've watched your video you definitely have my vote, as you put some time into it and you clearly understand some of the important issues for people in our age bracket.

The young professionals in Kelowna who are forced to live paycheck to paycheck, and are never going to afford a home (or our own businesses). I don't know how to change this personally, but I do know that the few of us who end up staying in Kelowna are sick of making half of what we would make in any other city, and paying a hell of a lot more for the necessities of life.

Thank you for your support JFEVES. As a business owner myself I know the day in day out grind you are constantly facing. Lets work on it together and move Kelowna forward. How come you thought I wasn't serious though? Because my Name is Bobby Kennedy or because I didn't put on a suit and tie to pretend I am someone who I'm not? Whatever the reason I am glad you have changed your mind! Thanks again for your support and spread the word so we can make a change. No one has a definite answer to these questions but i'd love to hear any ideas you have you can send me feedback at www.bobbykennedy.ca
EdCase
Board Meister

Post by EdCase »

BobbyKennedy wrote:Thanks for the opportunity for posting this video!

http://www.castanet.net/video/999/kennedy/

Send me feedback at http://www.bobbykennedy.ca

Excellent video, Bobby! Well thought out and passionately presented. We really do need younger voices on council, but you do have a bit of an uphill battle. The two current younger members, Craig & Reid-Nagy, have failed to live up to expectation and this is tainting opinion against younger candidates. Fortunately we have a number of good younger candidates running this year - including yourself - so hopefully we can make the younger voice stronger.

Two challenges I'm sure you're aware of. First, the younger voter feels very disconnected from the political process which they see as dominated by old, grumpy, white males (OGWMs like me): getting them out to vote is your first challenge. Second OGWMs, and their female counterparts, are very content to see Kelowna remain the sleepy backwater it's become: convincing them that the changes you envisage also benefit them is your second challenge.

I really do wish you luck!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane
Marcus Aurelius
BobbyKennedy

Post by BobbyKennedy »

[/quote]
Excellent video, Bobby! Well thought out and passionately presented. We really do need younger voices on council, but you do have a bit of an uphill battle. The two current younger members, Craig & Reid-Nagy, have failed to live up to expectation and this is tainting opinion against younger candidates. Fortunately we have a number of good younger candidates running this year - including yourself - so hopefully we can make the younger voice stronger.

Two challenges I'm sure you're aware of. First, the younger voter feels very disconnected from the political process which they see as dominated by old, grumpy, white males (OGWMs like me): getting them out to vote is your first challenge. Second OGWMs, and their female counterparts, are very content to see Kelowna remain the sleepy backwater it's become: convincing them that the changes you envisage also benefit them is your second challenge.

I really do wish you luck![/quote]

Thank you very much Ed! Your support means a tremendous amount and I hope you spread the word and share this video. I am aware of those two challenges you presented and am working hard on rising to the occasion on the first of the two.

I am also working hard to tackle the second of your points but do ask you and anyone else who'd like to share an opinion to help me out in what you would like to see for kelowna. I think community growth will benefit everyone and hope that the sleepy backwater lovers do not see this as trying to change Kelowna into something new. Kelowna is beautiful and the best place to live for a reason. When a community is thriving all aspects and citizens prosper and that is my goal...to make Kelowna the best place for everyone ! You might want to drop the 'G' from OGWM because you seem like a pretty nice guy to me. Thanks again for your support and I hope to make you proud of your decision come Nov 19th.

Bobby Kennedy
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Great video, Bobby. Seems well done and I like how your message ties to your location. Excellent. Suits and ties say nothing about the person inside and their ideals.

However ... I note you have not responded to the email you were sent regarding the issue of Backyard Chickens. My decision is going to be hinging on those responses. No response tells me you don't consider the question important enough to answer it - which also tells me that a candidate will probably also not respond to other concerns a taxpayer may have.

If you require more information about Backyard Chickens, the website referenced in the email will provide you with quite a bit.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
purple8

Post by purple8 »

Great video! After hearing you speak and looking through your website/video you have my vote. I also have a young family and business... I think you would be a great voice on council. Good luck!
EdCase
Board Meister

Post by EdCase »

BobbyKennedy wrote: You might want to drop the 'G' from OGWM because you seem like a pretty nice guy to me. Thanks again for your support and I hope to make you proud of your decision come Nov 19th.

Bobby Kennedy

Flattery will get you everywhere Bobby! I really can be very grumpy, mostly at the small-town attitudes that are holding Kelowna back. I'm hoping for quite a change in this election; the status quo or even worse, a return to the past, just won't cut it.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane
Marcus Aurelius
jfeves

Post by jfeves »

FEVES. As a business owner myself I know the day in day out grind you are constantly facing. Lets work on it together and move Kelowna forward. How come you thought I wasn't serious though? Because my Name is Bobby Kennedy or because I didn't put on a suit and tie to pretend I am someone who I'm not? Whatever the reason I am glad you have changed your mind! Thanks again for your support and spread the word so we can make a change. No one has a definite answer to these questions but i'd love to hear any ideas you have you can send me feedback at

I didn't think you were serious simply because you were not a suit wearing a face. I like your no facade style.

When I get home I'll send you some ideas.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

EdCase wrote:
Flattery will get you everywhere Bobby! I really can be very grumpy, mostly at the small-town attitudes that are holding Kelowna back. I'm hoping for quite a change in this election; the status quo or even worse, a return to the past, just won't cut it.

Define "holding Kelowna back".
__________________________________________________________________________________________

normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Good job Mr Kennedy. Good luck :)
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

grammafreddy wrote:However ... I note you have not responded to the email you were sent regarding the issue of Backyard Chickens. My decision is going to be hinging on those responses. No response tells me you don't consider the question important enough to answer it - which also tells me that a candidate will probably also not respond to other concerns a taxpayer may have.

With high unemployment, lack of affordable housing, tax increases, how to attract business to K'town, etc. on the minds of taxpayers you're going to decide who to vote for based on whether they respond to an e-mail about backyard chickens?
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
EdCase
Board Meister

Post by EdCase »

grammafreddy wrote:
EdCase wrote:

Define "holding Kelowna back".

oneh2obabe wrote:
grammafreddy wrote:However ... I note you have not responded to the email you were sent regarding the issue of Backyard Chickens. My decision is going to be hinging on those responses. No response tells me you don't consider the question important enough to answer it - which also tells me that a candidate will probably also not respond to other concerns a taxpayer may have.

With high unemployment, lack of affordable housing, tax increases, how to attract business to K'town, etc. on the minds of taxpayers you're going to decide who to vote for based on whether they respond to an e-mail about backyard chickens?

GF - I think you've partially answered your own question and I agree with the comment made by oneh2obabe. I am not denigrating the need to encourage more self-reliance for food production: I applaud the increase in plots being made available across the city and we've had great fun this year with our own expanded vegetable garden.

On a more serious level, the small-town attitudes I'm referring to are those shown by our so-called business community who cannot get their minds beyond get-rich-quick real estate development and low value added commercial ventures. They have no concept of effective, cohesive economic development and our bright young minds have no choice but to move elsewhere. In UBCO, OC and our fledgling tech sector we have the foundation for renewal of Kelowna's economy and community: we need civic leaders who understand this and are willing to work as part of the team making it happen!
Marcus Aurelius
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

oneh2obabe wrote:

Yeah, I am. Most decidedly I am.

A candidate who will not answer a request for a position on an issue that many may deem "unimportant" is totally unsuited to be on council. In fact, some of the wannabees have actually told us that what we want is unimportant and that there are more important issues - just like you did. We have been waiting over three years now for council to get off their *bleep* and allow chickens on residential lots in town. They waffle. They send it to staff for information. Staff F's around with it for over a year, then when it finally goes before council again, (after being bumped from the agenda four times) there is NO information, no results from having met with me or any other people who would like to have chickens in town. All that was in staff's report - after a whole year while they "researched the issue" were three letters - two of which were in support. Now we are on hold again for another year while council waits to see how Vernon does with their backyard chicken bylaw before this council will even look at it again.

THIS COUNCIL, which is so freekin' green that they throw up roadblocks to developers to meet LEEDS certification standards, THIS COUNCIL who banned the use of pesticides because it harms the environment, THIS COUNCIL who wants us all out of our vehicles and onto bicycles and public transit, THIS COUNCIL who has bike paths and pedestrian walkways built into every little bitsy thing they do, refuses to see that there is nothing greener than a chicken.

I am going to vote for people who actually care what the little guy wants, someone who understands that some people would like to be more in control of their own food supply, someone who knows that every citizen counts, someone who realizes that chickens will happily replace all the pesticides, herbicides and insecticides this council has banned and will even donate the nitrogen-rich fertilizer, too. I am NOT going to vote for the ones who want big developers to come into our town to rape and plunder then leave us with rich mans' condos downtown and on every available space along the lake they can get their grubby hands on and nothing for the long term sustainable future of the city and its tax-paying citizens.

Sure, I care about jobs and I care about affordable housing and I care about tax hikes and all the rest of that. But, to my way of thinking, the people who are elected who care about the little guy and their chickens will be the better councillors because their vision of what creates a better and more sustainable city will match my vision.

They will know expensive condos do not support jobs or affordable housing or sustainability for the long term. Lakeshore development will not expand the opportunities in job creation nor will they attract entrepreneurs for new business start-ups. We don't need boutique hotels or more tourist-related retail endeavors. Those are low-end jobs - all of them. Hotel cleaning staff, waitresses, bar staff, front desk people, retail sector, vineyard workers ... all minimum wages or just slightly better.

We need industry and that isn't gonna happen by selling off the lakefront to the likes of Four Change supporters whose only real interest in this election is their pissed-off attitudes over the demise of their precious CD21 donnybrook. We need a city council and support staff who want to attract industries here by removing all the roadblocks previous councils and staff have thrown up. We need to be actively looking for something more than wine aficionados and hoity-toity exclusive retailers who charge outlandish prices and then wonder where the people went from downtown.

In my opinion, this means real people with their backs to the grindstone, with their focus on reality and the real world here and the real everyday breed of people who really, when all is said and done, just want to work, raise their families in a home of their own and have a bit of fun in the sun. And yes, that includes a few chickens in their backyards - because it is important to the little guy.

mufc

Re: Bobby Kennedy Castanet Video

Post by mufc »

Sir, you definately have my vote for sure, I thought the video was excellent and dealt with the real problems affecting Kelowna today!

Return to “C.E. Kelowna”