Re-Electing Mayors

DblDwn11
Fledgling

Re-Electing Mayors

Post by DblDwn11 »

I am fairly new to Penticton (6 years) and I have a question that I am hoping some of the long-time residents can answer.

As an admitted stats junkie, I looked up to see how many times a Mayor had been re-elected here and I was amazed.

Penticton has not re-elected a Mayor to back-back terms since 1993 (Jake Kimberley 1990-1996)

I am curious.

Why is that?
Have all of these Mayor's been terrible and not worthy of a second term? (Beth Campbell, Mike Pearce, David Perry, Jake Kimberley)
Are the expectations given to a Mayor unrealistic?
Are Pentictonites fickle?
Should Dan Ashton worry about this disturbing trend?
twobits
Guru

Re: Re-Electing Mayors

Post by twobits »

DblDwn11 wrote:I am fairly new to Penticton (6 years) and I have a question that I am hoping some of the long-time residents can answer.

As an admitted stats junkie, I looked up to see how many times a Mayor had been re-elected here and I was amazed.

Penticton has not re-elected a Mayor to back-back terms since 1993 (Jake Kimberley 1990-1996)

I am curious.

Why is that?
Have all of these Mayor's been terrible and not worthy of a second term? (Beth Campbell, Mike Pearce, David Perry, Jake Kimberley)

With the exception of two names on you list I can sum it up in two words........voter knowledge.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
DblDwn11
Fledgling

Post by DblDwn11 »

With the exception of two names on you list I can sum it up in two words........voter knowledge.

Maybe you're correct on that one.

I also think that maybe part of it is voter apathy.

It's a concerning issue because I believe Penticton has lagged in growth and direction because there is a new person in that chair every 3 years. Every 3 years, there is a new agenda. The current agenda never gets completed. It's almost like City Hall turns into a kid with ADHD and never focuses on an issue long enough to see it through.

No wonder the Helios report found so many inefficiency's with the way City Hall was run. Years and years of ADHD.

Don't get me wrong, sometimes change is great. Sometimes the agenda needs to be refreshed.

I just think that a revolving door in that office every three years is not necessarily the best thing.

Especially if the alternatives are a 'once was' or 'never been'.
Stellerjay
Fledgling

Post by Stellerjay »

twobits wrote:
DblDwn11 wrote:I am fairly new to Penticton (6 years) and I have a question that I am hoping some of the long-time residents can answer.

I am curious.

Why is that?

I really did laugh out loud on that one or could it be that people don't like the direction this mayor or city council have taken the city? I for one am voting for Julius cause at least he brings a fresh perspective to the table. I hope they all get voted out.
xyz

Post by xyz »

I totally agree with voting in the current mayor but with a new council. Why elect a new mayor.......he/she will have to start all over and I believe Penticton's problems lie within the current council and not with the mayor. As for Julius I think he should have tried for council first, he is skipping a VERY important step? You cannot even compare the experience of the current mayor to that of Julius. Julius has not even held the position of counselor. If Julius gets in I'll have the last laugh.......actually I am a tax payer in Penticton so I'll most likely be crying. GET OUT AND VOTE>>>>>>>>>>>ESPECIALLY YOU YOUNGER PEOPLE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

xyz wrote:I totally agree with voting in the current mayor but with a new council. Why elect a new mayor.......he/she will have to start all over and I believe Penticton's problems lie within the current council and not with the mayor. As for Julius I think he should have tried for council first, he is skipping a VERY important step? You cannot even compare the experience of the current mayor to that of Julius. Julius has not even held the position of counselor. If Julius gets in I'll have the last laugh.......actually I am a tax payer in Penticton so I'll most likely be crying. GET OUT AND VOTE>>>>>>>>>>>ESPECIALLY YOU YOUNGER PEOPLE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The current mayor IS the problem. His record show that. He criticized past mayors and yet HE was a part of several past councils who voted in all the problems that we are now facing. I can honestly say that Katie Robinson is the one we need to restore sanity to this city. She has the knowledge, experience, lives in Penticton and is approachable and NOT arrogant or opinionated. She may have the least amount of campaign signs out there but that in itself says something; she doesn't need them to become our next mayor. Her record speaks for itself. I know that the young people will NOT be saving D.A., either; they are fed up from what I hear. Nor the senior population; they were very active in opposing the prison; something that Ashton STILL wants, even when the people spoke. I believe the seniors and young people will come out and demand change this November 19th; starting at the top.
xyz

Post by xyz »

[quote]Nor the senior population; they were very active in opposing the prison; something that Ashton STILL wants, even when the people spoke. I believe the seniors and young people will come out and demand change this November 19th; starting at the top.

I agree with Ashton on the prison. I believe the majority of the votes came from the older population. I hope you are correct with your statement about the younger crowd showing up to vote.
Penticton needs clean industry with good paying jobs. The prison was one example of this. The spin-offs alone would have benefited the majority of the town. Too many people want to keep this town sleepy and quiet. You could shoot a canon off down main street at 6:00pm and not hit anyone.......just crickets. I would love nothing more than to have my children work in the same town as myself. I am lucky enough to have a great paying job that I am exited to go to every day however I have seen our staff cut in half in the last 5 years and that scares me.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

xyz wrote:
Nor the senior population; they were very active in opposing the prison; something that Ashton STILL wants, even when the people spoke. I believe the seniors and young people will come out and demand change this November 19th; starting at the top.

I agree with Ashton on the prison. I believe the majority of the votes came from the older population. I hope you are correct with your statement about the younger crowd showing up to vote.
Penticton needs clean industry with good paying jobs. The prison was one example of this. The spin-offs alone would have benefited the majority of the town. Too many people want to keep this town sleepy and quiet. You could shoot a canon off down main street at 6:00pm and not hit anyone.......just crickets. I would love nothing more than to have my children work in the same town as myself. I am lucky enough to have a great paying job that I am exited to go to every day however I have seen our staff cut in half in the last 5 years and that scares me.

Oh, I agreed with the prison, too, xyz. Just not with Ashton's attitude towards the whole proposal. He was not happy even when the majority (dismal numbers as they were) voted against it. I wanted the jobs, too. They have to be neutral though when in public office and let the people decide without taking offence on such a big issue. Its rather ironic, that now, it appears that the whole project may be scrapped for years to come and the Province will blame it on the HST reversal. There is still a chance that it will come to the Okanagan but a very slim one. The young people that Ive talked to (and I still consider myself one of them) are not happy at all with present councils record, right from the top down. As I said, I believe that the broom will be coming out November 19th.
hoot
Fledgling

Post by hoot »

Both Ashton and Pearce showed absolute contempt for the democratic process, and the will of the majority of voters who came out and voted the prison project down .

Hopefully they will be removed on election day . And good riddance.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

hoot wrote:Both Ashton and Pearce showed absolute contempt for the democratic process, and the will of the majority of voters who came out and voted the prison project down .

Hopefully they will be removed on election day . And good riddance.

Bang on, hoot. You said it like it really is. It was the contempt for the process and the results didn't agree with these two, that shows their true colors. I was FOR the project, however I believe in listening intently to the public wishes and NOT showing sour grapes emotion when it didn't go their way. This is called Democracy and fortunately we still enjoy this freedom in this day and age. It will cost them big time November 19th; no question. Lest we forget? Not a chance.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

And I predict Ashton to win albiet it could be close and Pearce at or near the top in councilor votes. Julius justifiably second and Katie as the caboose. Cox, leaman, Cavallo, or Konanz will take two with vas, sentes, pearce, and litke back in. Guess we'll just have to wait and see huh? To really go out on a limb....cox and cavallo. And that will realy *bleep* off xt if i'm even close lol.
hoot too.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

twobits wrote:And I predict Ashton to win albiet it could be close and Pearce at or near the top in councilor votes. Julius justifiably second and Katie as the caboose. Cox, leaman, Cavallo, or Konanz will take two with vas, sentes, pearce, and litke back in. Guess we'll just have to wait and see huh? To really go out on a limb....cox and cavallo. And that will realy *bleep* off xt if i'm even close lol.
hoot too.

Ashton will ONLY win if the seniors who were against the prison stay home (and I doubt that very much), plus the young people do not support him from what I have heard around town (and I work in the Industrial area where a LOT of younger people work and are struggling in this city). I guess there are a still couple people like yourself who might slip into some kind of delirious semi-coma and miss putting the X on the right spot but very few. We need to give the general populace more credit than that. Pearce will likely be last if at all (again, due to his poor record of not listening); Cox, Leaman? No way. Conci yes (Industrial area supporter; he has a lot of my co-workers support). Cavallo yes; approachable and interested in listening. Realtor or not. Katie will be first in my opinion; Ashton last..and then he loses his double-dipper position in the RDOS; bonus!
xyz

Post by xyz »

I agree that at least two of the new councilors should be Cavallo and Conci. NOT Cox after the recent announcement of the chamber losing tourism and economic development. It's common knowledge that there were serious in house power struggles and they were not getting the job done! Isn't it ironic that two of the most guilty are running in this election, one for council and the other for the school board? Yes we need good listeners, hard and dedicated workers that can work with anyone. I feel these attributes are in Cavallo and Conci and are lacking in many of the others.
Jamesie
Fledgling

Post by Jamesie »

xyz wrote: It's common knowledge that there were serious in house power struggles and they were not getting the job done! Isn't it ironic that two of the most guilty are running in this election, one for council and the other for the school board?

You mean Jason Cox and Cary Schneiderat, right? These were the guys that caused the mess at the chamber...?
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Jamesie wrote:
xyz wrote: It's common knowledge that there were serious in house power struggles and they were not getting the job done! Isn't it ironic that two of the most guilty are running in this election, one for council and the other for the school board?

You mean Jason Cox and Cary Schneiderat, right? These were the guys that caused the mess at the chamber...?

Exactly, Jamesie. Cox or Schneiderat (connected to Pearce)? No thank you maam! Next..........!

Return to “C.E. Penticton”